Jump to content
The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Andrei Markov


Recommended Posts

#79 Andrei Markov (Андрей Марков)
Alternate Captain

cYRf8WC.jpg

Position: Defence
Shoots: Left
Birthplace: Voskresensk, RSFSR, USSR AuLPGfR.png?1
Birth date: 20 December 1978
Age: 38
Height: 6' 0"
Weight: 200 lbs
Drafted by: Montréal
Draft Year: 1998 Round 6 (162nd Overall)

Archive 2016-17

Stats | NHL.com | Contract Info

OwnThePuck HERO Chart (http://ownthepuck.blogspot.com/):

CBdjq8P.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

i do hope he resigns.


I know a few outlets (most recently stu cowen) are saying its less and less likely we bring him back but i hope thats wrong. This defense corps would be a mess with him...  but its going to be a nightmare without him.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, 4erver10 said:

Come on Markov sign already. We need to still have you but not at 6 million for 2 years. Your still a big part of this team..lets finish the job you started. Bring back the CUP !!

 

The Habs will be lucky to make the playoffs never mind win the cup.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, habs1952 said:

The Habs will be lucky to make the playoffs never mind win the cup.

Unless changes are made "for the better", then ya,,,we'll be lucky to make the POs. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, habs1952 said:

The Habs will be lucky to make the playoffs never mind win the cup.

I actually think we'll be ok in the regular season.  We have the best goalie on the planet, two defensemen who would be in nearly every team's top 4, and possibly up to 4 first line forwards.  We have lots of depth - id be, frankly, shocked if we were even close to missing the playoffs.

Unfortunately Im concerned about what happens once they arrive.  Sure, Price might be able to steal us 16 games but i doubt it. 

I think we're going to need breakout elite years from guys like Drouin, Galchenyuk and co. And i think we're going to need at least 1 defensman to emerge as a much better player than we expected (jakub jerabek? juulsen? )  

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, maas_art said:

I actually think we'll be ok in the regular season.  We have the best goalie on the planet, two defensemen who would be in nearly every team's top 4, and possibly up to 4 first line forwards.  We have lots of depth - id be, frankly, shocked if we were even close to missing the playoffs.

We had that last year and if not for that massive winning streak at the beginning of the season it could have been worse

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

We had that last year and if not for that massive winning streak at the beginning of the season it could have been worse

Totally - but we also did have Therrible for most of last year.  I honestly feel like Price almost gave up.  Not consciously - he's too much of a competitor for that -  but you could see he was just defeated.  No system for so long, no margin for error, he just had enough.  He bounced back immediately under CJ and i think with a strong defensive system in place (which I expect CJ to bring this year) I think we'll do pretty well. 

I have my doubts that we have what it takes to go deep in the playoffs though.  I certainly hope we do - and as the much overused cliche goes "anything can happen in the playoffs" - but i dont feel like MB has put us in a good position to win it all, unless we get a LOT of luck. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Regis22 said:

We had that last year and if not for that massive winning streak at the beginning of the season it could have been worse

 

 

The massive slump we had later in the year pretty much neutralized any of that advantage. I'd much rather see a consistent team then a streaky one. We might not win 9 in a row but we're least likely to lose 8 out of 10 either.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Our defense will be strong this year. We "lost" Emelin and Beaulieu and got Schlemko, Alzner, Morrow and Jerabek, who will surprise everyone I think. Markov needs to be signed, we would miss his breakout and PP passes, for sure. I remember Patches saying, that everyone wants to receive a pass form Marky when he becomes a hab. He must stay. PK will be great under CJ too, we already saw that last season and we have the best goalie in the world. I hope Galchenyuk will have a real breakout season as a center with Drouin and maybe Lehkonen. Second line with Patches - Danault - Gally (or even try Hemsky?) and two very good bottom lines with Shaw, Plekanec, Hudon, McCarron, Mitchell, DLR. One player everybody seems to forget is Paul Byron, he could score 20 goals again this year, we will see. I don't see why we should miss the playoffs, it would take a massive collapse.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Mynthaster said:

Our defense will be strong this year. We "lost" Emelin and Beaulieu and got Schlemko, Alzner, Morrow and Jerabek, who will surprise everyone I think. Markov needs to be signed, we would miss his breakout and PP passes, for sure. I remember Patches saying, that everyone wants to receive a pass form Marky when he becomes a hab. He must stay. PK will be great under CJ too, we already saw that last season and we have the best goalie in the world. I hope Galchenyuk will have a real breakout season as a center with Drouin and maybe Lehkonen. Second line with Patches - Danault - Gally (or even try Hemsky?) and two very good bottom lines with Shaw, Plekanec, Hudon, McCarron, Mitchell, DLR. One player everybody seems to forget is Paul Byron, he could score 20 goals again this year, we will see. I don't see why we should miss the playoffs, it would take a massive collapse.

PK? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, HabsRuleForever said:

Thanks for an amazing career as a Hab Markov.  It's to bad it was hampered by those injuries otherwise you would have been one of the all time greats. 

I'm not ready to move this to the ex-habs threads. I think I'll wait awhile.:(

Agreed. It will be strange not seeing him out there. All the best to one of the best. You will be missed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

sort of a strange way to end it. 

i mean we know we offered him a contract. we know we were interested in his services.  Obviously at some point MB felt like there was no way the two sides were going to get a deal done because they were too far apart, but why make it public?   Who is to say that tomorrow or a week or a month from now Markov doesnt wake up & say "meh, 1 year with  is better than no years" ? MB really thinks that Markov for 1 year at $4m (if he changed his mind) wouldnt be worthwhile to this team? 

Once again i question MB's end game here.  I understand not wanting to give him $12 over 2 years (although i think we have little alternative) but to publicly come out & say they wont be resigning him...   imho a good GM builds lots of bridges - regardless of whether he uses them or not.  Tearing them down when they might come in handy one day is not a great way to run things.  And if this was a last ditch effort to try to force Markov's hand i think it was a terrible move. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Feels pretty bad.

Not the way I thought it would end, losing Markov because of contract demands after all those years. Don't get me wrong, $12M for two years is absolutely ridiculous if that's his ask, but still. It's not like we have a capable alternative and barring a major trade that Cap money is just going to sit there doing nothing for us anyway.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, maas_art said:

sort of a strange way to end it. 

i mean we know we offered him a contract. we know we were interested in his services.  Obviously at some point MB felt like there was no way the two sides were going to get a deal done because they were too far apart, but why make it public?   Whose to say tomorrow or a week or a month from now Markov doesnt wake up & say "meh, 1 year with  is better than no years" ?

Once again i question MB's end game here.  I understand not wanting to give him $12 over 2 years (although i think we have little alternative) but to publicly come out & say they wont be resigning him...   imho a good GM builds lots of bridges - regardless of whether he uses them or not.  Tearing them down when they might come in handy one day is not a great way to run things. 

Not a fan favourite move by MB, but that's never stopped him before (PK anyone?) The demand by Marky is not realistic. You can't expect to be paid like a D-man in his prime at his age. My guess is that MB simply feels there is no middle ground at this point with Marky that is comfortable to live with. You have guys like Streit signing for league minimum and others out there still looking for interest from anyone. He's by far a better D-man that Streit but not 6 mill worth. If we were set in our lineup, with no holes to fill and money to burn, then by all means throw the guy what he wants on a one year deal,,, but that's not the case.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Welp, there goes my last Habs jersey with a current player on the back (and I don't think I'll be getting a new one anytime soon).  I'll miss you back there Markov.

It does seem like a bit of an odd announcement to make, even if they weren't going to sign him and didn't think he would budge from his demands.  As others have said, why not just wait and see whether he softened once it got closer to the season?  Worst-case would be that he doesn't and that he signs with another team (or retires), at which point just make the announcement then.

In any case, he was asking for way too much so it's not all on Bergron, but boy oh boy does losing him make our defense look worse. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Really disappointing. I know the team has 9M in cap space but there's no real impact UFAs available besides Jagr and.....Markov. 6M for 2 years is definitely an overpayment but I struggle to see what the team will do with that money that's more valuable than having Markov.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...