The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Andrei Markov

29 minutes ago, habs_93 said:

I can't help but feel this is a really bad move.

unless there's some rabbit coming out of his hat in the form of a better replacement, or some system CJ had devised that will win games with the least mobile defense in the league, i agree. 

So, per Markov's presser:

- He's going to play in the KHL (hasnt signed a deal yet, but knows where he's playing)

- He didnt want to play anywhere else in the NHL. Said he got offers but couldnt imagine putting on a different NHL jersey.

- He did want a 2 year deal but when negotiations stalled he said he did tell MB he would accept a 1 year deal 

- Bergevin said he wanted to wait till Sept/Oct before giving Markov a decision & Markie felt he needed to know prior to then so he chose to move on to the KHL.

The bolded parts are frustrating.  Why not give Markie a 1 year deal?  What's the risk? Will we really be replacing him with a better option?   And telling our longest serving Veteran to wait till October before you decide if you even want him on the roster?  Not cool Marc, Not cool. 

interesting for the last few years many complained about us having him saying he was too old and slow but now at the end it seems he was not so bad! he was a great d man for a lot of years it would have been cool to see him and Webber when both were in their primes! i know most don't have faith in MB but keeping some cap space for later in the season at the trade deadline is probably a good idea unless he takes a big stab at a center and needs the money. to start the year i want to see what CJ does with some of our defencemen he has a very different gameplan from MT.

I think its a good move for both sides.  From MB's side, he keeps the cap space open and can better pull off something meaningful.  From Markov's side he one-teamed-it in the NHL and can go back to the KHL to cash in and playout his career.  

I don't really think we're materially better or worse with or without Markov, might as well keep the cap space and let some other guys play.

2 hours ago, ramcharger440 said:

... i know most don't have faith in MB but keeping some cap space for later in the season at the trade deadline is probably a good idea unless he takes a big stab at a center and needs the money. to start the year i want to see what CJ does with some of our defencemen he has a very different gameplan from MT.

big deal . THis team will probably s*ck and only CP is going to keep them within a playoff position

38 minutes ago, Noob616 said:

Cap space doesn't put up 36P in ~65 games and it doesn't form a top pairing with Weber.

This is the crux of it. If MB spends the 8-9M on a top-tier player (e.g. he trades for Tavares) then it's a good move to not have spent on Markov. But if he just sits on cap space or if he uses his cap to sign more role players to inflated contracts, then it's a bad decision.

6 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

This is the crux of it. If MB spends the 8-9M on a top-tier player (e.g. he trades for Tavares) then it's a good move to not have spent on Markov. But if he just sits on cap space or if he uses his cap to sign more role players to inflated contracts, then it's a bad decision.

And with 9M of cap space that's still more than enough to sign Markov or Radulov at 5-6M and trade for Tavares/Duchene/RNH. We have to presume any trade for a center would involve Galchenyuk's 4.9M going the other way, and with Plekanec's deal done after this year you'd have space to retain Tavares/Duchene/offer sheet Johansen/Draisaitl etc.

Cap space is nice and flexibility is nice but there's really not much left to do with it right now. The Habs have already traded their best future asset in Sergachev, and can't really afford to trade core roster players right now. I just don't see teams lining up to trade impact players to the Habs for mid/late first rounders or meh prospects like Juulsen/Hudon/Poehling/Scherbak/McCarron. 

Thank you Mr.Markov for playing for the Montreal Canadiens. You played with class and worn the uniform proudly.I hope you stay fit play less heavy mins and bring it when the call comes. And win that gold metal with Russia... this will be your best chance. McDavid will have to wait.

1 hour ago, habs1952 said:

What a mean thing to suggest to a fellow Hab fan!!

Are you just cluing into that? I've known it for years, that's what they do. It's in their (mods and admins) DNA.