Drafted by: Montréal
Draft Year: 2001 Round 3 (71st Overall)

Archive 2016-17

Stats | NHL.com | Contract Info

OwnThePuck HERO Chart (http://ownthepuck.blogspot.com/):

DwjRrWG.png

• 2 months later...
33 minutes ago, Habs=stanleycup said:

I could see $6 million better spent frankly.

Well for sure, but who is taking him?  We cant really get out from under that contract, so put him in a position where he can be as effective as possible for us.  As a 45 point 3rd liner he's probably (at max) worth $3.5-4m  but such is life.  

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

They were saying on TSN 690, that because of the new rules re face offs, Pleks won 60-70% of his draws in the pre-season. That might make him more valuable now. 

And it's about time something was done about face-offs!!! 

13 hours ago, ramcharger440 said:

i feel good about this year for Pleks.

Yeah i think it will be a bounce- back year assuming he gets the ice time.   Julien is the coach Pleks broke into the league with and he's definitely a "Claude Julien" sort of player. I think he'll be given every chance to succeed and to be honest, i think he still has the wheels to do so. I think last year was more about bad luck than true regression.  I dont think he'll hit 60+ points again but somewhere around 50 is probably not out of the question if he gets the linemates/ice time. 

• 4 weeks later...

https://www.hockeyfeed.com/nhl-news/former-nhl-head-coach-severely-critiques-tomas-plekanec

shots fired!

he has a point though.  after being a big supporter of this guy his entire career, and one of those who felt he deserved to be considered among the bergerons and jere lehtinen's (remember him lol) of the world.....hes toast. 6 million for pretty much nothing at this point. id give him away for free just to have the cap space at this point.

should have traded him in his contract year. 

44 minutes ago, jeff33 said:

https://www.hockeyfeed.com/nhl-news/former-nhl-head-coach-severely-critiques-tomas-plekanec

shots fired!

he has a point though.  after being a big supporter of this guy his entire career, and one of those who felt he deserved to be considered among the bergerons and jere lehtinen's (remember him lol) of the world.....hes toast. 6 million for pretty much nothing at this point. id give him away for free just to have the cap space at this point.

should have traded him in his contract year. 

Agreed. Our anemic offence has been a big part of our problems.

Like Bergeron, I don't understand how Plekanec is getting more ice time than Galchenyuk. Almost twice as much last night. Ditto for Pacioretty and on most nights, Shaw. Plekanec has very little value right now. The only thing is that he may have value at the trade deadline because he'll be an impending UFA and teams would only be on the hook for a fraction of his salary by then.

2 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Like Bergeron, I don't understand how Plekanec is getting more ice time than Galchenyuk. Almost twice as much last night. Ditto for Pacioretty and on most nights, Shaw. Plekanec has very little value right now. The only thing is that he may have value at the trade deadline because he'll be an impending UFA and teams would only be on the hook for a fraction of his salary by then.

Because he really isn 't getting more ice time this seaon.  he has averaged 15.00 minutes per game, AG has averaged 14.52 minutes per game, I guess 8 seconds is more but all you have time to do with an extra 8 seconds is cough. AG has 3 goals Pleks has 1 goal. AG get has had 38.40  minutes of PP time Pleks has had 2.50 minutes of PP time. 

Maybe they should have AG killing penalties and Pleks on the PP :)

Yes he did not play that well last evening. But I cannot imagine very many people would be giving AG more ice time then Plekanec when you your team has the lead...

Oh our PK is 24 in the league and our PP is 27th in the league just sayin.... :)

3 hours ago, Ravadak said:

Because he really isn 't getting more ice time this seaon.  he has averaged 15.00 minutes per game, AG has averaged 14.52 minutes per game, I guess 8 seconds is more but all you have time to do with an extra 8 seconds is cough. AG has 3 goals Pleks has 1 goal. AG get has had 38.40  minutes of PP time Pleks has had 2.50 minutes of PP time. 

Maybe they should have AG killing penalties and Pleks on the PP :)

Yes he did not play that well last evening. But I cannot imagine very many people would be giving AG more ice time then Plekanec when you your team has the lead...

Oh our PK is 24 in the league and our PP is 27th in the league just sayin.... :)

Was specifically referring to last night... don't understand how Plekanec can be given more ice time than AG on any night. AG got about 18 minutes the first two games of the year, and then since he was moved out of the top 6, his ice time has been more in the range of 13-14 minutes a night, which just isn't enough. AG is a top 6 player, he should be getting 18 minutes or more every night. Plekanec is a bottom 6 player and not a very good one right now. He should be getting 12-14 minutes every night.

No, I do not think AG should be killing penalties, but yes, I would absolutely prefer to have AG out there with a lead than Plekanec. I don't like the philosophy of sitting on a lead and letting the other team attack you. That's why trailing teams tend to win Corsi battles and outscore the leading teams. And if you look at Plekanec's performance "with the lead" last night, he completely blew coverage leading to the 3rd goal against and the 4th one went off of him and into our own net. So I'm not sure he was a boon to us in terms of defending our lead.

The PK has been terrible IMO for two reasons: one because Carey has been weak and he's the most important penalty killer and two because we have guys who are really slow at getting on loose pucks, and that doesn't help us in limiting chances against. PK Subban was a very underrated penalty killer but he was A1 at getting on loose pucks and one of the best in the league at clearing the puck out of the zone. We really miss that. We miss Eller in that role. Plekanec's slowdown has hurt us too.

And on the PP, we continue to play Pacioretty and Shaw on the first wave despite the fact Pacioretty has failed to produce in that role for half a season. We also stuck with Hemsky on the first wave for too long. And we haven't used AG effectively, first limiting him by having him in the slot in traffic and then putting him on the 2nd wave, where he has actually out-produced the guys on the first wave. Would love to see more AG, BG, JD, Hudon on the first wave...

• 3 weeks later...

LOL, first NHL fight in like 7 years??? :4224: Much to his public embarrassment because he was getting pounded, while clinging onto his opponent's sweater collar for dear life.

Little offensive upside,  downgraded defensive capability, lost speed, scared to hit and take hits, and now can't even fight. This $6 million guy is virtually useless at this stage of his career.

45 minutes ago, PuckPundit said:

LOL, first NHL fight in like 7 years??? :4224: Much to his public embarrassment because he was getting pounded, while clinging onto his opponent's sweater collar for dear life.

Little offensive upside,  downgraded defensive capability, lost speed, scared to hit and take hits, and now can't even fight. This $6 million guy is virtually useless at this stage of his career.

Useless in scoring most of all.

I have never been a big fan.  He has rarely shown up when needed most, eg in the playoffs.  He seems happy these days to collect his big money and steer clear of difficult situations on the ice.  He shoots when he should pass, passes when he should shoot, and just generally looks clueless offensively while, as others have pointed out, management clings to the idea that he is defensively responsible, while failing to see that he may be responsible but is at this point unable to compete.  This is the longest serving member of the team, and when things have gone south in recent years, he just doesn't step up and make his teammates better let alone himself.  Uninspiring

Extending this guy is in retrospect one of the biggest mistakes of this management regime.

I remember at the time being a proponent of trading him, although in all fairness I did think it was a tough call because he was still an important player. His game has just gone right off a cliff.

Kind of a lesson in asset management right there when you think about it. 

I remember when they signed him to his first big contract maybe 8 years ago, and there was a sports commentary on TV to the effect that the Canadiens have "settled".  Not very strong, not very fast, not very good shot, not very big.  Good but not great.  While he has been great at times and in certain situations, he rarely really brought it over the course of a grueling playoff run.  Like Markov and Price, he got you to the playoffs and was then broke your heart by failing to elevate his game above regular season form, and that's being kind

I don't really agree with the above comments... Plekanec is past his prime and it looks like he's essentially done in terms of offensive capability. But let's not overlook what he did for this team for years. He was one of the best defensive centers in the league and he put up points playing with some really bad wingers all the while getting tough match-ups and zone starts. He was never a #1 center and like other players before him (Koivu comes to mind but also Desharnais and Zholtok and Gilmour and Gomez and so on), he was asked to play the role of a #1 center because the team never went out and found a real one to play ahead of him. So yeah, no doubt Plekanec is past prime and not that useful any more, but that doesn't discount the fact that he did a yeoman's amount of work for a long time here. Kind of a shame to downplay the good things he did over a long period of time.

44 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

I don't really agree with the above comments... Plekanec is past his prime and it looks like he's essentially done in terms of offensive capability. But let's not overlook what he did for this team for years. He was one of the best defensive centers in the league and he put up points playing with some really bad wingers all the while getting tough match-ups and zone starts. He was never a #1 center and like other players before him (Koivu comes to mind but also Desharnais and Zholtok and Gilmour and Gomez and so on), he was asked to play the role of a #1 center because the team never went out and found a real one to play ahead of him. So yeah, no doubt Plekanec is past prime and not that useful any more, but that doesn't discount the fact that he did a yeoman's amount of work for a long time here. Kind of a shame to downplay the good things he did over a long period of time.

Agreed, the negativity towards this team right now is warranted but lately we've seen a LOT of craziness.

Suddenly, because Plekanec has offensively fallen off a cliff, he was garbage for the past 6 years?   He was an elite 2 way centre.  There were only a handful of guys in the league in his prime who played a 200 foot game as well as plekanec.   I think he only ranked in the top 6 of Selke voting a couple of times but thats because the award these days is more for a great scorer who playes pretty good defense vs. being a true two way centre.  As Bob Gainey (the guy who they made the trophy for) recently said "I dont think i could win the selke if i was playing in the league now. Its changed."  

For years we asked plekanec to be a #1 centre when in reality he was a #2 and he did the very best he could. Its a shame to see the memory of what he's done for this team downplayed for sure. 

2 hours ago, kalevine said:

clearly from this discussion there are plenty of people who are not downplaying his memory, so don't feel so badly for him.   He has done pretty well for himself.   

And he continues to be an asset who has been quite consistent this year in the role given him... again with multiple partners and through line changes that are designed to try to help others... frankly, I think he is being undervalued by some.