Weight: 188 lbs
Drafted by: Tampa Bay
Draft Year: 2013 Round 1 (3rd Overall)

Stats | NHL.com | Contract Info

OwnThePuck HERO Chart (http://ownthepuck.blogspot.com/):

LrddIPi.png

17 hours ago, Regis22 said:

:4224:

So he basically has to replace Rads production at this point....80 goals man Rad had a better season than I remembered! Also we didn't just squeak into the playoffs. Even with Mathews that was Toronto (and Nashville) that barely made the playoffs. 

19 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Has announced he'll wear #92... a good sign that AG hopefully staying and keeping 27.

Thats what i was thinking too. :)

I really hope one of them plays #1 C.   Ideally it would be chucky (Pacioretty - Galchenyuk - Drouin)  but we have some decent depth on both wings, so I could still see value in playing both of them at centre  (Pacioretty - Chucky - Gallagher,   Lehkonen - Drouin - Hemsky/BigMac )

FWIW, Here's something from the "Sportster" whoever they are, re Drouin:

"Jonathan Drouin finally pieced together an excellent and complete season in the NHL, scoring 21 goals and 53 points for the Tampa Bay Lightning. But Steve Yzerman shipped Drouin over to the Montreal Canadiens which sent Mikhail Sergachev and a second-round selection over to Tampa Bay.

Drouin posted remarkable totals in 2016-17 without his top centre, Steven Stamkos. Imagine what he’ll do in Montreal with either Alex Galchenyuk or a new Canadien centering his line.

The third-overall pick from 2013 hasn’t been able to reach his full potential yet after plenty of clashing with Lightning management. But the scoring-starved Habs are relying on Drouin to be their top-scorer. He’ll have every opportunity to exceed with a new team. Don’t be surprised if Drouin tops 30 goals and scores 70-80 points."

13 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

FWIW, Here's something from the "Sportster" whoever they are, re Drouin:

"Jonathan Drouin finally pieced together an excellent and complete season in the NHL, scoring 21 goals and 53 points for the Tampa Bay Lightning. But Steve Yzerman shipped Drouin over to the Montreal Canadiens which sent Mikhail Sergachev and a second-round selection over to Tampa Bay.

Drouin posted remarkable totals in 2016-17 without his top centre, Steven Stamkos. Imagine what he’ll do in Montreal with either Alex Galchenyuk or a new Canadien centering his line.

The third-overall pick from 2013 hasn’t been able to reach his full potential yet after plenty of clashing with Lightning management. But the scoring-starved Habs are relying on Drouin to be their top-scorer. He’ll have every opportunity to exceed with a new team. Don’t be surprised if Drouin tops 30 goals and scores 70-80 points."

I actually dont think this is far fetched at all.  I could see both Drouin and Galchnyuk as PPG players.  The questions are:  will we put them in a position to succeed? and what roles will they play with this team.?

• 2 weeks later...

Drouin has the his future set in front of him. A french Canadian kid playing in front of a hometown crowd... the skies the limit and is his to grab.If Drouin can feed of the fans and handle the pressure of playing for le Canadien, I see a great fit for years to come. I know we gave up maybe a #1D-man but I think it was a fair trade... not another Scott Gomez/ Ryan  McDonagh blunder.

Go Habs Go 

the bell centre needs another banner

On 7/14/2017 at 1:44 PM, 4erver10 said:

Drouin has the his future set in front of him. A french Canadian kid playing in front of a hometown crowd... the skies the limit and is his to grab.If Drouin can feed of the fans and handle the pressure of playing for le Canadien, I see a great fit for years to come. I know we gave up maybe a #1D-man but I think it was a fair trade... not another Scott Gomez/ Ryan  McDonagh blunder.

Go Habs Go 

the bell centre needs another banner

Its not a gomez/McDonagh blunder. Drouin is AT LEAST a very solid top 6 winger for years to come and could very easily be a true 1st line talent... but in some ways did could hurt a lot more because Sergachev could end up being a hell of a lot better than McDonagh. I see multiple norris trophies for Sergachev. And I think defenseman are far more valuable than wingers. This is the habs problem to much talent where is doesn't matter (wing, goal) and not enough where is does (center, defence) 

• 1 month later...

Drouin with a very nice gesture/donation to the Centre Hospitalier de l’Université de Montréal today.

He seems to really embrace the whole "face of the franchise" idea and I think, as long as his play matches his heart, we could have just found a very very special player.
I cant help but think of Vincent Lecavalier when Gainey & co courted him.  Drouin, so far, is doing everything management hoped VL would have done, if he had had the stomach to play in the limelight.

Phil Esposito was asked about him the other day.  He said that he felt like Drouin will take it to another level in Montreal because (his words but paraphrasing) Phil could see it in his eyes that he didnt want to be in Tampa.

Really excited to see what he will bring to our roster.  If he can truly be a #1 centre, we're a totally different team. 

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

Drouin with a very nice gesture/donation to the Centre Hospitalier de l’Université de Montréal today.

He seems to really embrace the whole "face of the franchise" idea and I think, as long as his play matches his heart, we could have just found a very very special player.
I cant help but think of Vincent Lecavalier when Gainey & co courted him.  Drouin, so far, is doing everything management hoped VL would have done, if he had had the stomach to play in the limelight.

Phil Esposito was asked about him the other day.  He said that he felt like Drouin will take it to another level in Montreal because (his words but paraphrasing) Phil could see it in his eyes that he didnt want to be in Tampa.

Really excited to see what he will bring to our roster.  If he can truly be a #1 centre, we're a totally different team. 

One impact player is hardly enough IMO. If he IS that good to take us closer to the Cup and then gets injured along the way we're screwed.

58 minutes ago, Habs=stanleycup said:

One impact player is hardly enough IMO. If he IS that good to take us closer to the Cup and then gets injured along the way we're screwed.

You are right probably but if drouin can become a top ten player in the league along with the best goalie in the world you have a better team. I am not sure if Pitts wins without Crosby the last two yeas, or if Chicago wins without Toews, or LA without quick. Right now our problem is we only have one elite player, Price, We did have two with Subban, but alas management ruined that, the teams that win only have two or 3 elite players, everything has to come together no matter what

17 hours ago, Habs=stanleycup said:

One impact player in a vacuum is not enough for sure.  But if Drouin turns into a bonefide #1 centre, he's not the only impact player on this roster.  We have patches who has scored more goals over the last 5 years than every other player in the league save 4.    We have Galchenyuk who i think will thrive with slightly less pressure/responsibility. We have a number of solid complimentary players  like gallagher and lehkonen. We have question marks, to be sure (can pleks rebound? Is Hemsky spent? Is hudon the real deal? will danault repeat last year's numbers? etc etc) but i think it will work out.      

I honestly believe that if you could add a true #1C and a true #1LD we'd be clear contenders.  Drouin (if it works out) solves half that problem.  I have no idea how we can solve the other one though. 

• 2 weeks later...

An incredibly small sample size (and its only pre-season too) but Drouin has looked very comfortable at centre. A good friend who cheers for the lightning said "JD Looks better and more comfortable at centre in Montreal than he ever did for the bolts."    I think his time with Pacioretty this summer helped - plus he apparently bulked up quite a bit.

So lets say that JD is able to play a true #1C role and that line is not only explosive offensively, but also responsibly defensively.  Does this mean we can put AG back at centre on the 2nd line and give him some sheltered minutes?

Pacioretty - Drouin - Gallagher
Hudon - Galchenyuk - Lehkonen
Byron - Danault - Shaw
Carr - Plekanec - Hemsky

3 hours ago, Ravadak said:

Droiun looks OK, nothing spectacular. on the other hand I watched the Capitals and Tampa. Sergchev looks like a superstar in the making. 

Didn't watch the game, why did he only get 13 minutes of icetime?