The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Marc Bergevin and staff 2017-18

habs_93

Key takeaway from his presser on claiming Niemi off the goalie scrap heap ....

"I always give myself a day in my head"

Honest folks ... you cannot make this stuff up ... it's GOLDEN!

Michel Bergevin .... the gift that keeps on giving      

:4224:

8 hours ago, eldag said:

Key takeaway from his presser on claiming Niemi off the goalie scrap heap ....

"I always give myself a day in my head"

Honest folks ... you cannot make this stuff up ... it's GOLDEN!

Michel Bergevin .... the gift that keeps on giving      

:4224:

Obviously he's implying there is plenty of room for him to walk around in there. Don't suppose he'd have a lazy boy in there too?  

Sean McIndoe from Sportsnet suggests that MB is "in danger" as one of 4 GMs on the "smoking hot seat."

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/goes-brown-four-nhl-gms-smoking-hot-seats/

As is usually the case, its unlikely we would see a move mid-season, but the media is starting to report what a lot of us believe (hope?):  No deep run this year and MB is probably as good as gone this offseason. 

54 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Sean McIndoe from Sportsnet suggests that MB is "in danger" as one of 4 GMs on the "smoking hot seat."

As is usually the case, its unlikely we would see a move mid-season, but the media is starting to report what a lot of us believe (hope?):  No deep run this year and MB is probably as good as gone this offseason. 

I wonder if MB knows he might be on the hot seat. +

5 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

I wonder if MB knows he might be on the hot seat. +

sadly I doubt he is.

I think even if we miss the playoffs but it was close, he is gonna get another year.  if we make it Id almost have to say its 2 more. 

Thats why Im cheering for a total gongshow this year, we need a situation where there can be no excuse riddled press conferences. It needs to be a drastic failure, much like how therrien got 10 chances too many

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

In my mind all the blame goes on Molson. He must be blind to not see MB is a dinosaur in today's NHL.

1 hour ago, jeff33 said:

I think even if we miss the playoffs but it was close, he is gonna get another year.  if we make it Id almost have to say its 2 more. 

I tend to disagree.  If we miss I think he's gone. No matter the situation.  I think even a 1st round exit & he's gone.  If we make the playoffs & get to the 2nd round or deeper, he's safe I suspect. 

1 hour ago, habs1952 said:

In my mind all the blame goes on Molson. He must be blind to not see MB is a dinosaur in today's NHL.

Definitely he deserves some of the blame.  The BOG too.   But I suspect MB talks a good talk and convinced them to give him more time.  Surely that has to run out at some point though....

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

I tend to disagree.  If we miss I think he's gone. No matter the situation.  I think even a 1st round exit & he's gone.  If we make the playoffs & get to the 2nd round or deeper, he's safe I suspect. 

Definitely he deserves some of the blame.  The BOG too.   But I suspect MB talks a good talk and convinced them to give him more time.  Surely that has to run out at some point though....

Logically you should be exactly right. It makes sense. Are you seeing where Im going with this? Logic? sense? this team? lol

also even if that is the case.....its like pointing out the shutout right:P shhhhhhh

Yeah I think he's gone unless they at least make the 2nd round. He's already moved Subban, Eller, Beaulieu, moved on from Markov, didn't retain Radulov, fired the coach, signed Petry long term, traded for Drouin, and extended Price. There's just not much left for MB to do to radically change the team so he pretty much just has to hope the team can make a run this year. Galchenyuk is his last hail mary, he's pretty much the only guy left with trade value that doesn't seem to be in MB's plans.

Pacioretty has tons of trade value but trading him would be the first step of a rebuild and I don't think they'd keep MB around to rebuild. If a guy can't build a contender taking over a team with a 25 year old Vezina/Hart level goalie, a 23 year old Norris level defenseman, and a 23 year old elite goal scorer, I don't see how he could make one out of the potential next Habs core. Mete/Lindgren/Drouin is just boneless Subban/Price/Pacioretty.

Turned an entertaining team into one of the most hard to watch bunch of minor leaguers in the NHL  The game tape should be sent to Molson's office and he should be tied to his chair and forced to watch that performance over and over again until he wakes up and fires the guy responsible for this mess.

Turned an entertaining team into one of the most hard to watch bunch of minor leaguers in the NHL  The game tape should be sent to Molson's office and he should be tied to his chair and forced to watch that performance over and over again until he wakes up and fires the guy responsible for this mess.

13 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

Unfortunately it seems Mr. Molson is either oblivious to our team's demise thanks to our GM, or he doesn't care.

25 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

Im not as doom and gloom as most but i agree that overall we look horrible.  I think we have some very compelling young pieces (Drouin, Lehkonen, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Mete, Lindgren etc) and some very tradeable commodities (Pacioretty, Price, Weber)  that in the right hands could have this team at the top of the standings within just a couple of years. Unfortunately i dont see MB as being even close to "the right hands."  And what worries me more than the status quo is that he (MB) may decide to trade a guy like Galchenuyk or Mete for immediate help, which would be a huge mistake because we appear to be in no position to challenge any time soon. 

44 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Im not as doom and gloom as most but i agree that overall we look horrible.  I think we have some very compelling young pieces (Drouin, Lehkonen, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Mete, Lindgren etc) and some very tradeable commodities (Pacioretty, Price, Weber)  that in the right hands could have this team at the top of the standings within just a couple of years. Unfortunately i dont see MB as being even close to "the right hands."  And what worries me more than the status quo is that he (MB) may decide to trade a guy like Galchenuyk or Mete for immediate help, which would be a huge mistake because we appear to be in no position to challenge any time soon. 

I'm not even sure that we look horrible. We're not good. We're bad. Let's say that. :lol: But, I think there are positives and the organization is in a position where, as you say, the right hands could turn it around in a few seasons. MB is definitely not the manager we need. We need someone to come in and, with no commitment to what's already been built, objectively disassemble and reassemble this team. I still believe Timmins could do the job (interim or otherwise).

11 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

I'm not even sure that we look horrible. We're not good. We're bad. Let's say that. :lol: But, I think there are positives and the organization is in a position where, as you say, the right hands could turn it around in a few seasons. MB is definitely not the manager we need. We need someone to come in and, with no commitment to what's already been built, objectively disassemble and reassemble this team. I still believe Timmins could do the job (interim or otherwise).

Totally.  We need someone who comes in clean and makes smart, calculated moves.   There was a rumor (confirmed by chicago) many years back that we nearly made a deal that was basically 1 for 1 (there was a draft pick and a not named prospect) but essentially it was Plekanec for Toews.   Today, this sounds insane but at the time Toews was still playing University hockey and people werent positive how that would translate into the NHL  while Plekanec was establishing himself in his 2nd year as a guaranteed top 6 and possibly 1st line two way centre.  He had lit it up in the AHL too. 

Im not saying those types of deals come along often but if you move established guys still (more or less) in their prime like Weber, Pacioretty and (maybe) Price, you can bring back not only good young players but possibly game breaking talent in the form of prospects.  Its risky but we need to stop playing it safe or we will remain mediocre forever. 

2 hours ago, H_T_L said:

2 hours ago, H_T_L said:

A message so nice ... you said it twice  .....          :6280:

2 hours ago, maas_art said:

Doom and gloom for me personally means yet another year without our Stanley Cup.

I wish that management and the ownership would put THAT as their motivational goal rather than French politics taking precedence over skill and common sense.

42 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Odds on MB being replaced mid-season?

Molson has said in the past when MB wanted to make big trades he'd get Geoff's approval.  Maybe the last straw will be him trying to make a bad trade.  Lets hope we dont see any panic moves, regardless of what happens. 

Molson has shown he doesn't want to "meddle" and wants to be patient. It took them forever to fire Therrien despite repeated errors and a brash personality problem, and even then, the stimulus seemed to be more Julein being available rather than any particular discontent with Therrien. I would be surprised if Molson made a move in-season. I also think there is a zero chance that Julien gets fired in season. And I think there is a good chance Molson will hire a Francophone to replace Bergevin when the time comes, even though there has been zero logical reason to defend this practice. Tampa has already said they won't let Julien Brisebois leave in the middle of a season, and he seems to be the front-runner candidate. The only other name I've heard who meets the French-language criteria is Patrick Roy and I'd rather not go there. Trevor Timmins is an option, but would the Habs go non-Francophone? And we know Vincent Damphousse and Pierre McGuire expressed interest in the job last time, but again, that's hardly any type of upgrade. The problem is that a lot of the guys interested in the job still think with the old-school hockey mentality that toughness and heart win you games. We need a new-school mentality guy who is willing to take risks, go after younger players with skill and speed, develop talent into the system, and so on. Bergevin isn't that guy, but I don't think they've identified anyone who is. Brisebois and Timmins are maybes but the first isn't available now and the second doesn't speak French. So something would have to give.

2 hours ago, maas_art said:

Odds on MB being replaced mid-season?

Molson has said in the past when MB wanted to make big trades he'd get Geoff's approval.  Maybe the last straw will be him trying to make a bad trade. Let's hope we dont see any panic moves, regardless of what happens. 

LOL.....what does it matter at this point. With MB at the helm we're destined to wallow in mediocrity after things started to look promising.

1 hour ago, habs1952 said:

LOL.....what does it matter at this point. With MB at the helm we're destined to wallow in mediocrity after things started to look promising.

It matters because if we miss the playoffs I would bet MB would be out of a job.  If you brought in a good GM and he made appropriate moves I think we could be a legitimately competitive team within a couple of years.   If MB trades off assets for lower than their value before then, the new GM starts with even more of a handicap.