Jump to content
The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Marc Bergevin and staff 2017-18


habs_93
 Share

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, Manatee-X said:

It's true that the Canadiens are going to make money regardless, but I can't imagine that they don't make more money in years when they go deep into the playoffs.  It's not just the tickets and beer either - the more people are invested in the team (and winning helps with this) the more they're going to be able to sell merchandise, advertising, etc.  In the year that Halak helped to take them past Washington and Pittsburgh I remember seeing Habs stuff absolutely everywhere, and that was in Halifax.

And I know I've done nothing but harp on the trade since it happened (I keep telling myself I'll move on one day :P) but something like trading Subban has got to have some impact on the team's bottom line outside of hockey operations as well.  I'd imagine there were a whole lot of kids who were big Subban fans, and those future consumers are now a little bit less enchanted with the Montreal Canadiens brand.

They are still Subban fans except now they cheer for the Predators.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, vegasrick said:

*shudders* Eww.....talk about worst case scenario.  Even if we made it into the playoffs, this team is going NOWHERE.  

I honestly think the Habs have blown it for this season.  Yes, they could go on a tear and squeak into the playoffs, but judging by what I've seen this year with this roster, I can't see that happening at all.  I picture 50/50 hockey the rest of the way, and just as much trouble scoring from here out.  They're just not bad enough to tank, so I see them finishing out of the playoff picture but too high to get a great draft pick.  You know, something that ensures they will keep barely treading water, which is exactly where Bettman wants them.  Besides, it's still Bergevin calling the shots as far as player trades and acquisitions, so what else would we expect?  He'll probably trade our best defensemen (whoever they may be) for more left wings.  I think he has a thing for left wings. 

Agreed

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, vegasrick said:

*shudders* Eww.....talk about worst case scenario.  Even if we made it into the playoffs, this team is going NOWHERE.  

I honestly think the Habs have blown it for this season.  Yes, they could go on a tear and squeak into the playoffs, but judging by what I've seen this year with this roster, I can't see that happening at all.  I picture 50/50 hockey the rest of the way, and just as much trouble scoring from here out.  They're just not bad enough to tank, so I see them finishing out of the playoff picture but too high to get a great draft pick.  You know, something that ensures they will keep barely treading water, which is exactly where Bettman wants them.  Besides, it's still Bergevin calling the shots as far as player trades and acquisitions, so what else would we expect?  He'll probably trade our best defensemen (whoever they may be) for more left wings.  I think he has a thing for left wings. 

I'm willing to bet he's a Liberal. (Democrat in your neck of the woods) Too political?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, habs1952 said:

They are still Subban fans except now they cheer for the Predators.

I'm sure those fans of individuals not teams like kids usually will still root for Subban which is fine , but really how many Nashville Jerseys and stuff are you seeing around Montreal or anywhere else really. Montreal Detroit Toronto any city will see those Jerseys. Also those now "Nashville Fans" how many have gotten rid of all their Montreal stuff really. How many are really staying with Nashville if all of sudden the Habs are winning again?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, CaptWelly said:

I'm sure those fans of individuals not teams like kids usually will still root for Subban which is fine , but really how many Nashville Jerseys and stuff are you seeing around Montreal or anywhere else really. Montreal Detroit Toronto any city will see those Jerseys. Also those now "Nashville Fans" how many have gotten rid of all their Montreal stuff really. How many are really staying with Nashville if all of sudden the Habs are winning again?

The real damage is kids and really all fans losing their heroes.  we just played nashville right, and if weber had played and gotten an assist, he and subban would have had an equal night statistically.

the difference is subban's assist came from doing a video game deke around pacioretty and sending a pass into the slot right between the other 2 defenders. I dont think weber has done anything like that in his career.

now.....my only point in bringing this up is thats what fans...especially kids, want to see. thats a player we pay money to come watch, who makes us excited that the game is on, who makes us believe we can win any given night because at any given time our game breaker might see a hole and do something amazing to get us that big goal.  

not only did bargainbin lose subban, he goes out the next year and loses radulov who was the same kind of player! 

so its not that theres necessarily going to be an epidemic of dallas and nashville jerseys, but this team is losing fans by losing its fan favourites, and it sure isnt making new ones. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, jeff33 said:

The real damage is kids and really all fans losing their heroes.  we just played nashville right, and if weber had played and gotten an assist, he and subban would have had an equal night statistically.

the difference is subban's assist came from doing a video game deke around pacioretty and sending a pass into the slot right between the other 2 defenders. I dont think weber has done anything like that in his career.

now.....my only point in bringing this up is thats what fans...especially kids, want to see. thats a player we pay money to come watch, who makes us excited that the game is on, who makes us believe we can win any given night because at any given time our game breaker might see a hole and do something amazing to get us that big goal.  

not only did bargainbin lose subban, he goes out the next year and loses radulov who was the same kind of player! 

so its not that theres necessarily going to be an epidemic of dallas and nashville jerseys, but this team is losing fans by losing its fan favourites, and it sure isnt making new ones. 

Agreed. Generally speaking, teams need a hero for youngsters to cheer for and to gather around. As it stands now, our GM has sucked the life out of our team by ridding us of high energy players like Subban & Radulov.

All we are left with is Price. No team should be built around their goaltender though IMO. The stars are the players who have skill, who can score consistently and who are emotionally invested in the CH; that's what the fans truly appreciate.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, jeff33 said:

The real damage is kids and really all fans losing their heroes.  we just played nashville right, and if weber had played and gotten an assist, he and subban would have had an equal night statistically.

the difference is subban's assist came from doing a video game deke around pacioretty and sending a pass into the slot right between the other 2 defenders. I dont think weber has done anything like that in his career.

now.....my only point in bringing this up is thats what fans...especially kids, want to see. thats a player we pay money to come watch, who makes us excited that the game is on, who makes us believe we can win any given night because at any given time our game breaker might see a hole and do something amazing to get us that big goal.  

not only did bargainbin lose subban, he goes out the next year and loses radulov who was the same kind of player! 

so its not that theres necessarily going to be an epidemic of dallas and nashville jerseys, but this team is losing fans by losing its fan favourites, and it sure isnt making new ones. 

That is so true. Kids are very impressionable. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, jeff33 said:

The real damage is kids and really all fans losing their heroes.  we just played nashville right, and if weber had played and gotten an assist, he and subban would have had an equal night statistically.

the difference is subban's assist came from doing a video game deke around pacioretty and sending a pass into the slot right between the other 2 defenders. I dont think weber has done anything like that in his career.

now.....my only point in bringing this up is thats what fans...especially kids, want to see. thats a player we pay money to come watch, who makes us excited that the game is on, who makes us believe we can win any given night because at any given time our game breaker might see a hole and do something amazing to get us that big goal.  

not only did bargainbin lose subban, he goes out the next year and loses radulov who was the same kind of player! 

so its not that theres necessarily going to be an epidemic of dallas and nashville jerseys, but this team is losing fans by losing its fan favourites, and it sure isnt making new ones. 

So there are no Patches, Gallager, Chucky, Druin , Hudon, Lehkonen even Weber fans out there or even Lingren! Give me a break , So after Gretsky left Edmonton never sold another jersey, because he was traded. There was a lot of Halak fans when he was traded so I guess no one bought a Price Jersey? This logic after the team traded Lafluer (who they treated bad at the end after actually helping to win several cups) he was my favorite I guess I shouldn't of become a Roy or Kouivo or whoever fan later. Especially kids get over it. A super hero today or toy today and be forgot tomorrow when the next hero comes along.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, CaptWelly said:

So there are no Patches, Gallager, Chucky, Druin , Hudon, Lehkonen even Weber fans out there or even Lingren! Give me a break , So after Gretsky left Edmonton never sold another jersey, because he was traded. There was a lot of Halak fans when he was traded so I guess no one bought a Price Jersey? This logic after the team traded Lafluer (who they treated bad at the end after actually helping to win several cups) he was my favorite I guess I shouldn't of become a Roy or Kouivo or whoever fan later. Especially kids get over it. A super hero today or toy today and be forgot tomorrow when the next hero comes along.

There ya go being logical again......really though, it is true it sucks to lose Rads and Subban but in a couple of years they will be replaced by some other player and just be a footnote in Habs history.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, ramcharger440 said:

There ya go being logical again......really though, it is true it sucks to lose Rads and Subban but in a couple of years they will be replaced by some other player and just be a footnote in Habs history.

Which is almost certainly true... at some point, we'll get a new star and a new fan-favorite. We've been luck as a franchise to have players like Richard, Beliveau, Cournoyer, Lafleur, Roy, Naslund, Koivu, Kovalev, Subban, and so on. And so yes, there will be another one down the line. But here's my problem: we don't have one right now. Bergevin and company have done their best to snuff out every semblance of individuality and personality from this team. Every player who's valued by the organization is a yes-man who reads back the party lines to the media. Pacioretty, Price, Weber, Gallagher, Petry, Lehkonen, Danault, and so on. These are all guys who play hard but who mainly just do their jobs and don't play flashy games. Who do we have with flash? Galchenyuk, who's play has been suppressed and criticized and now probably Drouin, who's starting to follow down the same path as Galchenyuk and get criticism for not being a "complete" enough center.

So yes, at some point, we'll get a new star with all kinds of skill and personality to match. But it hurts that we had one and traded him away for a poor return and it certainly doesn't seem like we'll have the opportunity to watch that style of play under Bergevin, because it's simply not encouraged under this regime.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, CaptWelly said:

So there are no Patches, Gallager, Chucky, Druin , Hudon, Lehkonen even Weber fans out there or even Lingren! Give me a break , So after Gretsky left Edmonton never sold another jersey, because he was traded. There was a lot of Halak fans when he was traded so I guess no one bought a Price Jersey? This logic after the team traded Lafluer (who they treated bad at the end after actually helping to win several cups) he was my favorite I guess I shouldn't of become a Roy or Kouivo or whoever fan later. Especially kids get over it. A super hero today or toy today and be forgot tomorrow when the next hero comes along.

Where in anything that I wrote did it suggest that no one is a fan of anyone on the team or wont be a fan of anyone who may end up on the team one day? Canada 3000, whew

What I clearly said is that it hurts the franchise to lose fan favourites, I dont know how you can argue with that.

 

by the way , did you hear the crowd chanting we-ber! we-ber! or was it patchy patchy? as much as im not denying theres fans of certain players we got, you can give me the break right back if your suggesting it doesnt matter that radulov is gone because everyone loves lehkonen now just as much

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I still can't get over the 8+ mill in cap space that could have been used to sign Markov or Radulov and is now just sitting there.  It's psychologically bad and if you took that much away from any contending team it could turn them into a non contender.  How are they supposed to succeed like this?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, habs_93 said:

Subban as "just a fotonote in Habs history" is an amusing thought. I'm sure ol' Marc would want that to be the case, but it seems rather ridiculous.

whats our last norris winner? chelios in 1989?? so no worries just wait 20 years.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, kalevine said:

I still can't get over the 8+ mill in cap space that could have been used to sign Markov or Radulov and is now just sitting there.  It's psychologically bad and if you took that much away from any contending team it could turn them into a non contender.  How are they supposed to succeed like this?

That 8 million is going right into Molson's pocket to make up for the 8 million extra the Habs won't make because they missed the playoffs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, kalevine said:

geez, maybe they can hold off on 8 mill next year to recoup some of what they are paying MB  after he is jettisoned, which can't be too soon

Which will never happen IMO because Molson has his back for whatever illogical reason. As for the extra 8 mil I'd rather see it spent on a decent high quality center.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/27/2017 at 4:24 PM, Habs=stanleycup said:

Which will never happen IMO because Molson has his back for whatever illogical reason. As for the extra 8 mil I'd rather see it spent on a decent high quality center.

spend it on anything, there's no reason this team should have that kind of cap space, unless its just the big middle finger to the fans

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/27/2017 at 11:11 AM, habs_93 said:

Subban as "just a fotonote in Habs history" is an amusing thought. I'm sure ol' Marc would want that to be the case, but it seems rather ridiculous.

Its true. sadly he was not here long enough nor did the team do enough while he was here to be more than that. people will talk more about the trade than what he did on the ice.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, ramcharger440 said:

Its true. sadly he was not here long enough nor did the team do enough while he was here to be more than that. people will talk more about the trade than what he did on the ice.

Try as you might, it's going to take more than that to convert many people to the Subban-minimizing side. ;)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, Habs_Hockey_Nutz said:

So Bergevin has Davidson on the trade block, which likely doesn't bring much back... but apparently he is entertaining the possibility of combing others in a deal (4th Period - Shaw and De La Rose)...

Shaw surprises me. I mean i'd absolutely move him because I think we're paying too much and locked in too long but once again he's in a position we're 'so-so' strong at but we have like a zillion LW who all seem to be off the block.

I agree DLR and Davidson would bring next to nothing one would think?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...