The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Marc Bergevin and staff 2017-18

We could at this very moment have one of the best dee corp in the league but instead we have the worst, that alone should have this man fired. Subban, Sergachev, Mete, Markov, Petry, Yemelin, Beulieu.....Instead we have an over the hill defender, petry and a young up and coming dee in Mete.

Time for the pink slip, bring in someone who can properly evaluate  talent versus character and start the rebuild.... 

Edited by Ravadak

Y

Yeah, per the article above:

“I’m going to be honest with you,” added Markov. “There was practically no negotiations with Montreal. I got two or three offers from them and they said, ‘Either you sign or you don’t sign.’

“No one listened to me and no one wanted to listen to me. That’s what happened. So I had the choice to sign on their terms or to leave and find a new team.” 

Who wants to bet that guys like Shaw, Drouin etc didnt have that sort of response during contract negotiations.  Why do guys like Markov, Galchenyuk and Subban get singled out & disrepected?  

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

Y

“I’m going to be honest with you,” added Markov. “There was practically no negotiations with Montreal. I got two or three offers from them and they said, ‘Either you sign or you don’t sign.’

“No one listened to me and no one wanted to listen to me. That’s what happened. So I had the choice to sign on their terms or to leave and find a new team.” 

Who wants to bet that guys like Shaw, Drouin etc didnt have that sort of response during contract negotiations.  Why do guys like Markov, Galchenyuk and Subban get singled out & disrepected?  

Because they don't fit into the round hole that MB has created. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 2017-12-11 at 9:14 AM, maas_art said:

Y

In my humble opinion it doesn’t matter one way or another. Having Markov playing this year would not make any difference to the Habnots .. this team is awful and paying a 39 year old $6m/season to play with that horrible defensive corps would have no purpose. 

On ‎2017‎-‎12‎-‎28 at 0:27 AM, eldag said:

In my humble opinion it doesn’t matter one way or another. Having Markov playing this year would not make any difference to the Habnots .. this team is awful and paying a 39 year old $6m/season to play with that horrible defensive corps would have no purpose. 

But it does matter, he would be our best deeman on the left side and our only deeman who can make a solid first pass out of the zone. Your 39 year old deeman averaged .58 points per game last season. Do you know who else averaged that many points by a habs dee last year. Nobody, ziltch, nada.... Even keeping one of Beulieu/Emelin would be better then what we have now. Its a disgrace. NOw your top 4 is Markov, Weber, Yemelin and Petry. Not great but certainy far better then we have now.  Now you have room let Mete developed at 10 to 12 minutes a game and not try to play him top minutes. 

I get not signing Markov, or keeping Beulieu or yemelin, but letting them go and then signing the likes of Alsner, Schlemko, Streit ..WoW

Alsner .13 points per game Schlemko .09, Streit was done before he arrived,  Beulieu .16 and knows how to skate. Yemelin .17 and can hit like a truck. MArkov .51 points still a great first pass, great on the power play. Our forwards actually played really well the first 20 games but no one on the back helped push the offense. Markov even at 39 would be a huge upgrade relative to what we have now. Is he the answer nope. But all of a sudden if you can move say patches for a top offensive dee, lets say hyperthetically  Oliver Ekman Larrson then makrov drops down to number 4 and you have a good looking backend. Oliver Ekman-Larsson and Weber, Petry and Markov, Benn or Julsen, Mete or Yemelin.

Make the trade with the core we have and you bottom 3  still suck 

I'm not gonna go back and read 15 pages of opinions to see if anyone has mentioned this topic, but does MB have a problem with Russian players that's come to light this past year?  There's the Markov disrespect listed above. He doesn't offer Radulov an adequate contract and then tries to match Dallas' offer, but too late for Rad (again...disrespect). He leaves Emelin unprotected for expansion draft. He trades Sergachev, who's loaded with potential, for a player (albeit French-Canadian) with past problems. He and MT sure seemed to misuse Galchenyuk on a regular basis (yes, I know he's American but his father was from Russia). Also, I know MB drafted Sergachev, but could he have just drafted him for trade bait, with no intention of giving him a chance to play for this team? Or am I just seeing something with a racial tone because of all the tensions going on as of late? And throughout history for that matter. And one more thing, trading a beloved African-Canadian star player who was becoming the face of the team instead of the player THEY wanted...Price. Just wondering.....  

On 12/30/2017 at 11:12 PM, EriePaHabsFan said:

I'm not gonna go back and read 15 pages of opinions to see if anyone has mentioned this topic, but does MB have a problem with Russian players that's come to light this past year?  There's the Markov disrespect listed above. He doesn't offer Radulov an adequate contract and then tries to match Dallas' offer, but too late for Rad (again...disrespect). He leaves Emelin unprotected for expansion draft. He trades Sergachev, who's loaded with potential, for a player (albeit French-Canadian) with past problems. He and MT sure seemed to misuse Galchenyuk on a regular basis (yes, I know he's American but his father was from Russia). Also, I know MB drafted Sergachev, but could he have just drafted him for trade bait, with no intention of giving him a chance to play for this team? Or am I just seeing something with a racial tone because of all the tensions going on as of late? And throughout history for that matter. And one more thing, trading a beloved African-Canadian star player who was becoming the face of the team instead of the player THEY wanted...Price. Just wondering.....  

I dont think there's ever been speculation about MB and Russian Players.    Julien is another story though, there have been rumors of him not liking Russian players and it seems very coincidental that we cleaned house of ours just after he took over. 

11 hours ago, maas_art said:

I dont think there's ever been speculation about MB and Russian Players.    Julien is another story though, there have been rumors of him not liking Russian players and it seems very coincidental that we cleaned house of ours just after he took over. 

It would seem strange when he was one of the few GM's willing to give 5 million for a one year try to Radalov

i don't think it's a russian thing, i just think he may be a bad GM, and making bad decision, he really believes he can build a team around defencive 3rd and 4th line grinders, and hiring a defencive coach, killed any offence fans could hope for, racist no, it's more of a hockey sense issue

One thing that has bothered me recently is hearing the word "stability" thrown around as if it's something prized by the current ownership and a reason to not "overreact" or fire someone from their job. I guess it was "stability" and "patience" that allowed MT to be employed here for so long. It may allow MB to keep his job, too... However, I'm just not sure how stability connects to an inability to effectively review someone's job performance and make an informed decision for the betterment of the organization medium-term. Stability to me is about the overall organization and not about individual jobs. When I hear stability used, for instance, as an argument for MB to have another year on the job, it just sounds like an excuse for poor overall management.

I just can't understand what happened to Bergevin - when he started with the club he was the cool and calm GM, making good tweaks, talking about developing through the draft, saying all the right things. Getting bargain deals, like the $4.5M per yr Pacioretty deal, then for no reason, out of no where he wants to be the guy that traded PK Subban.  I know you're all sick of hearing about PK but let's face it, that's TSN turning point in his tenure as Habs GM.  Does anyone trust him to make the right moves to salvage this core?  Is he the right fit ti "re-tool?" I am so lost as a fan - I will always love my Habs and it's always about the crest but I sure don't get excited for games like I used to.  UGH 

One more thing, I hated the Sergachev trade from day one, I love me some Drouin but come on, if you're going to say that building through the draft in today's NHL is how it's done then why would you trade away your best draft pick in years for a guy that's only played wing and call him a #1C.  UGH x 2 

6 hours ago, FanFromAB said:

I just can't understand what happened to Bergevin - when he started with the club he was the cool and calm GM, making good tweaks, talking about developing through the draft, saying all the right things. Getting bargain deals, like the $4.5M per yr Pacioretty deal, then for no reason, out of no where he wants to be the guy that traded PK Subban.  I know you're all sick of hearing about PK but let's face it, that's TSN turning point in his tenure as Habs GM.  Does anyone trust him to make the right moves to salvage this core?  Is he the right fit ti "re-tool?" I am so lost as a fan - I will always love my Habs and it's always about the crest but I sure don't get excited for games like I used to.  UGH 

Bingo.  The thing about the pk deal was, it was such a horrible trade in a vaccuum but IF he had actually followed it up with something, maybe it would have made sense.  Lets say you traded PK to Nashville for Weber and Mike Fisher.   You get way older but you 'spread some talent' over a couple of positions.  Then you go out & acquire a guy like RNH or similar. Sure, it probably costs you high picks or prospects but you're in a position to challenge for the cup NOW.  Instead, we made a bad move that weakened us moving forward and did nothing else to help our chances of going deep in the playoffs.  Its like MB made a trade with a plan in mind & then forgot what that plan was.   I hate the PK trade either way but at least if we had gone "all in" you could make an arguement for it.  As it was, it is basically unexplainable except with conjecture like "they didnt like PK."

6 hours ago, FanFromAB said:

One more thing, I hated the Sergachev trade from day one, I love me some Drouin but come on, if you're going to say that building through the draft in today's NHL is how it's done then why would you trade away your best draft pick in years for a guy that's only played wing and call him a #1C.  UGH x 2 

as a 1 for 1 deal I dont have an issue for it within a vacuum.   As a deal for OUR club? It was ridiculously dumb.   We have enough NHL-ready left wings for 2 teams.  We were severely weakened on LD.         So we trade our best LD (and best overall) prospect for another LW.   Madness.  

So, i dont actually have a problem with the 2 players involved, value wise.  Drouin is going to be very good for us, im sure of this, and Sergachev's numbers will come down to earth (they already have a bit)  but based on what we needed as a team?  It was madness.   Keep sergachev, resign markov and you've got a LD of  Markov-Sergachev- Mete-Schelmko  Thats a great group!  instead we have Alzner-Mete-Schlemko-Morrow.   Yikes. 

4 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

My fear is that MB will make some "questionable" moves before the trade deadline, in order to save his job. 

Ray Ferraro speculated that if he were Molson he'd tell him between now and the Trade Deadline he wants to see all deals before they are finalized.  Dont know if that will happen but it will be interesting to see. 

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

Ray Ferraro speculated that if he were Molson he'd tell him between now and the Trade Deadline he wants to see all deals before they are finalized.  Dont know if that will happen but it will be interesting to see. 

As if Molson would make the right decision.

8 hours ago, FanFromAB said:

Couldn't agree more my Alberta brother. Sergachev will be a top 4 (possibly top 2) D-man for many years with high end offensive skills. Drouin is already expensive, has been a bust so far, has not proven that he can be a top 6 forward, and in no way is a #1 C.