The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Claude Julien and staff 2017-18

habs_93

7 minutes ago, ramcharger440 said:

I agree but they are not this bad! you can see the apathy on the ice.

They sure are

Look at the D - there are 2 guys ( maybe ) who are top 4 - Weber and Petry ( maybe ) ; the rest are fringe D  men . None of these guys can headman the puck . A 39 yr old Markov would be better than all of them. Then MB trades Sergachev for Drouin . So now the D cupboard is really empty .

The forwards - NO # 1 Centre never mind a # 2 C. There isn't any combination of players CJ can put out that is a threat .

12 hours ago, ramcharger440 said:

I don't see a system at all.

If you call running around chasing the puck in the defensive zone and forgetting to look for potential threats a system... then you don't see very well.

I think it is time to stop making excuses for Julien... he had an opportunity to start over completely yet chose to keep staff that arguably were a part of this team's problem under Bergevin and Therrien.

10 hours ago, Habs_Hockey_Nutz said:

If you call running around chasing the puck in the defensive zone and forgetting to look for potential threats a system... then you don't see very well.

I think it is time to stop making excuses for Julien... he had an opportunity to start over completely yet chose to keep staff that arguably were a part of this team's problem under Bergevin and Therrien.

There's a better system, you'll just have to trust that's the case. The players mentioned this when CJ took over, that they started working on a breakout system that just wasn't there with Therrien, who simply asked them to use the boards to dump it out all the time. Under Therrien, you frequently had forward all the way up at the offensive blue line while our D men were trying to clear the zone. Now you have forwards circling back and getting the puck in motion. The system actually worked better last year, when we had Markov and Beaulieu still here. This season, I think a lot of the directives might have been smothered by how slow and unskilled our defencemen are. You can design a workable system but if Alzner and Morrow and Davidson and Benn are trying to make it work, sometimes the timing of what you want to have happened is going to fall apart. I'd like to see us get NHL-quality defencemen before we criticize Julien's system.

I do agree with you on the coaching staff though. Lacroix and Daigneault have never impressed me.

21 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

There's a better system, you'll just have to trust that's the case. The players mentioned this when CJ took over, that they started working on a breakout system that just wasn't there with Therrien, who simply asked them to use the boards to dump it out all the time. Under Therrien, you frequently had forward all the way up at the offensive blue line while our D men were trying to clear the zone. Now you have forwards circling back and getting the puck in motion. The system actually worked better last year, when we had Markov and Beaulieu still here. This season, I think a lot of the directives might have been smothered by how slow and unskilled our defencemen are. You can design a workable system but if Alzner and Morrow and Davidson and Benn are trying to make it work, sometimes the timing of what you want to have happened is going to fall apart. I'd like to see us get NHL-quality defencemen before we criticize Julien's system.

I do agree with you on the coaching staff though. Lacroix and Daigneault have never impressed me.

What I don't get is how players always chase the puck, face the puck and are out of position so often when goals are scored... not such a great system in that respect. Whether that is Julien or Daigneault or whoever is responsible, it is not a great system in that respect. Players don't seem to understand how to play without the puck in the defensive zone in order to defend... which to me is the main downfall of this team. Moving the puck up ice, regardless of the system, requires being able to defend first. Obviously the quality of player is important. I've said it myself

4 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

I do agree with you on the coaching staff though. Lacroix and Daigneault have never impressed me,

there's a reason why boston fired him, and i'm sure it wasn't because of his ancient system that doesn't work,  Thats the problem when politics come 1st on coaching and staff, you never know who we could have really gotten with a beter GM

4 hours ago, jwlk said:

there's a reason why boston fired him, and i'm sure it wasn't because of his ancient system that doesn't work,  Thats the problem when politics come 1st on coaching and staff, you never know who we could have really gotten with a beter GM

Just about every coach gets fired some day. Julien had a good run in Boston and won a Cup. Hard to ask for much else.

5 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

I have a hard time criticizing Julien right now. We ALL knew the "defense" was going to be a major problem coming into this season. Yeah, every coach will make personnel decisions that bother fans, but I have no problem with Julien right now. My main problem is with Bergevin's horrendous off-season.

You can't turn lead into gold.

On 11/20/2017 at 0:00 PM, habs1952 said:

You can't turn lead into gold.

I'm sorry but this guy needs to be criticized by someone. Drouin and Max just do not click, separate them NOW. We give up goals in bunches so lets put the fourth line on the ice after a goal. Then have them struggle to get to the bench  and put the next line in dire straights. 

Drouin need to play with Andrew Shaw so he can take face offs in either zone and let Drouin learn on the blue lines. Get Hudon or BG on that top line. 

Claude is costing us games and looks like he is ready to enjoy his 25 million dollar retirement. 

Yeah the criticism I have for Julien is that he is trying to get his team to adapt to his system but Im not entirely sure his system will work with this roster.  Some guys look fine but others are completely lost.   Karl Alzner is a #4-6 defensman but under Julien's system looks like he would get cut from Laval. 

The questions are:  can the players adapt?  Does Julien believe he can get them do this? Is it worth the effort to do that? or, should CJ try to come up with a system that is easier for his players to understand and follow through with.

Julien seems to be trying to implement a carbon copy of one of his systems in boston. Sure it was successful there but he had different players there. I wonder if it would not be better to try to adapt to the roster he has now.

Im honestly not sure the answer.  Maybe Julien is confident that the guys will "get it"  - in boston he'd switch things up some time & they'd look horrible for a stretch and then boom, one day they 'got it' and were a solid team.  Not confident that will happen here but then im not an NHL coach. 

• 3 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

I'd like to see/hear the media, French or English, ask CJ outright, "Why do you keep putting out defensive players in OT when you clearly need to win the game?". 

I think he was asked that already and he said that his goal was to get possession on the draw and prevent the other team from scoring on the first shift, or something to that effect. The next game was the one time where he didn't start Plekanec and Weber in OT, FWIW though.

Another issue remains his use of Galchenyuk. AG got stuck on the 4th line, then he finally got promoted to play with Drouin. But with JD out, the DLR-AG line is getting the least ice time and even Deslauriers-Froese are getting significantly more. It makes zero sense as to how the team has treated and continues to treat Galchenyuk.

4 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

I think he was asked that already and he said that his goal was to get possession on the draw and prevent the other team from scoring on the first shift, or something to that effect. The next game was the one time where he didn't start Plekanec and Weber in OT, FWIW though.

Another issue remains his use of Galchenyuk. AG got stuck on the 4th line, then he finally got promoted to play with Drouin. But with JD out, the DLR-AG line is getting the least ice time and even Deslauriers-Froese are getting significantly more. It makes zero sense as to how the team has treated and continues to treat Galchenyuk.

Fair enough,,, get the draw and get Pleks off the ice and put on someone who can score. 

In his post-game presser, CJ said that  AG got little ice-time because he didn't battle along the boards, and didn't try hard enough. Now,,, in OT,,, you don't battle along the boards, and it's more about skill, which AG has a lot of. 

2 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

In his post-game presser, CJ said that  AG got little ice-time because he didn't battle along the boards, and didn't try hard enough. Now,,, in OT,,, you don't battle along the boards, and it's more about skill, which AG has a lot of. 

I'm calling lies. Even on nights when AG fights hard, he gets less ice time. Froese has been invisible on many nights and he seems to get more ice for free.

1 minute ago, kinot-2 said:

And any trade involving AG you're probably goign to get little in return . Forget about a  top prospect , 1st lien C or 1st pairing D man .

I agree completely , first and foremost winning is what you want. In OT Chucky Drouin (when healthy) these have to be your starters. I wouldn't have a problem with Byron because of his speed getting time also. Unless Chucky has put no effort at all which I haven't seen. I actually think he has been better than earlier in the year. I also say until Drouin comes back let Chucky play center with Byron and Hudon or Gallager.

3 hours ago, CaptWelly said:

I agree completely , first and foremost winning is what you want. In OT Chucky Drouin (when healthy) these have to be your starters. I wouldn't have a problem with Byron because of his speed getting time also. Unless Chucky has put no effort at all which I haven't seen. I actually think he has been better than earlier in the year. I also say until Drouin comes back let Chucky play center with Byron and Hudon or Gallager.

Apparently JD practiced with Chucky and Shaw today, so,,,, perhaps tomorrow he'll play. 

Wrong coach for the wrong era in the wrong organization? How long are people going to tolerate his conservative, scared to lose, favouring player by contract $$$ mentality?

I still blame last playoff exit on his stubborn, illogical, conservative player deployment decisions.  However briiliant a system may be, putting the wrong players in the wrong positions, at the wrong moment of play, won't win many games.

Not going to achieve anything with this coach, GM and owner.