The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2017-18 The Rumors Thread

BigTed3

1 hour ago, kinot-2 said:

Several experts agree that the Canadiens fourth line lacks a physical presence heading into the season and the addition of Niel would not only add some size and grit on the ice, but also some good veteran leadership in the locker room.

I thought MB addressed that by signing Martinsen for the size and grit   and Shaw , Weber for leadership

1 hour ago, kinot-2 said:

The Chris Neil rumour is starting to grow legs, to wit:

"Social media was abuzz again on Friday night as Neil’s agent confirmed that he has had contract talks with the Habs and that both parties were interested in finding common ground.

Several experts agree that the Canadiens fourth line lacks a physical presence heading into the season and the addition of Niel would not only add some size and grit on the ice, but also some good veteran leadership in the locker room.

The 38-year-old Neil is a veteran of 1026 NHL games, all with the Senators, could play the same role Steve Ott did with the Canadiens late last season. Plus, Julien always likes to have a major physical presence in his lineup."

:5155::4845::5785::6351::6185::wut2::angry:

I couldn't find just one emoticon that represents how I feel. 

I really appreciate the modern approach to hockey this franchise has adopted under Bergevin.

3 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

"Social media was abuzz again on Friday night as Neil’s agent confirmed that he has had contract talks with the Habs and that both parties were interested in finding common ground.

The 38-year-old Neil is a veteran of 1026 NHL games, all with the Senators, could play the same role Steve Ott did with the Canadiens late last season. Plus, Julien always likes to have a major physical presence in his lineup."

or this

Controlling-Vomit-vomit-puke-sick-smiley

On 9/30/2017 at 9:39 AM, kinot-2 said:

this is fake news right

I sure hope the Neil thing is a joke.  Julien may like having a "physical presence" in his lineup but do we not already have that with Weber and McCarron?  Do we need to add a guy with zero value?

If the rumours are true, we could conceivably have Streit and Neil in the lineup- talk about a waste of 2 roster spots. 

4 minutes ago, xxdocxx said:

I don't know how trusted this sight is but apparently duchene rumors heating up again

https://awinninghabit.com/2017/10/02/montreal-canadiens-alex-galchenyuk-rumors/

Im not opposed to moving Galchenyuk (although id prefer not to) but the return has to be better than just duchene.  Id do AG27 for Duchene + Barrie (col wont, obviously) or AG27 for RNH + Nurse  or AG27 + picks/prospects for John Tavares,  but if all we get in return for AG is Duchene we are getting fleeced imho.   

His value has to be at an all-time low so unless you could get actual value for him, it would be a very silly time to trade him.   I think you could make an arguement that this roster would be better for 1 or 2 years with Duchene vs Galchenyuk (considering how the 2 would likely be used), but it would be extremely short sighted to do a 1 for 1 for them. 

7 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Im not opposed to moving Galchenyuk (although id prefer not to) but the return has to be better than just duchene.  Id do AG27 for Duchene + Barrie (col wont, obviously) or AG27 for RNH + Nurse  or AG27 + picks/prospects for John Tavares,  but if all we get in return for AG is Duchene we are getting fleeced imho.   

His value has to be at an all-time low so unless you could get actual value for him, it would be a very silly time to trade him.   I think you could make an arguement that this roster would be better for 1 or 2 years with Duchene vs Galchenyuk (considering how the 2 would likely be used), but it would be extremely short sighted to do a 1 for 1 for them. 

agree

14 hours ago, maas_art said:

I agree, but I can't help but recall how I felt upon discovering Subban had been dealt for Weber straight up. Makes me nervous that Galchenyuk, if traded, will be moved in similarly short-sighted deal. 

6 hours ago, BizarreReverend said:

I agree, but I can't help but recall how I felt upon discovering Subban had been dealt for Weber straight up. Makes me nervous that Galchenyuk, if traded, will be moved in similarly short-sighted deal. 

Yeah, thats definitely my concern. It feels a lot like Subban 2.0   I just hope we dont wake up  one of these days to the news of a trade with a very underwhelming return. 

https://twitter.com/A_Kalnins/status/917415331236335616

Shipachyov apparently really unhappy being in the AHL in Vegas and considering going to the KHL for Olympics if he doesn't become an NHL regular. Sure would be nice if there was a team that plans on competing this year with a hole at 2C and lots of cap space that could absorb his salary and be willing to trade futures for him...

:5141::5141::5141:

Bergevin apparently scouting the Isles game... prior rumors involving us with Tavares, de Haan, Leddy, and others. One has to figure MB is trying hard to trade Galchenyuk, since we all know how much he dislikes him. And with the Habs having such a poor start, I really feel Bergevin is shopping AG around for help on defence (even though he is saying publicly that we have such a great D corps).

55 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Bergevin apparently scouting the Isles game... prior rumors involving us with Tavares, de Haan, Leddy, and others. One has to figure MB is trying hard to trade Galchenyuk, since we all know how much he dislikes him. And with the Habs having such a poor start, I really feel Bergevin is shopping AG around for help on defence (even though he is saying publicly that we have such a great D corps).

and here I was hoping MB was scouting the league for another job for himself. 

• H_T_L locked this topic