The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2017-18 The Rumors Thread

BigTed3

57 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

Do the Isles have any 30 yr olds on the downside of their career

Worst case scenario would be MB's infatuation with Andrew Ladd simply because he's gritty and used to play for the Blackhawks.

Best case scenario is that MB convinces the Isles to take local boy Max Pacioretty for Tavares in some sort of deal.

Most likely scenario is Galchenyuk for Beauvillier and a defenceman.

24 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Worst case scenario would be MB's infatuation with Andrew Ladd simply because he's gritty and used to play for the Blackhawks.

Best case scenario is that MB convinces the Isles to take local boy Max Pacioretty for Tavares in some sort of deal.

MB himself doesnt usually do a lot of scouting which leads me to believe its either the isles are offering someone he's not that familiar with/our scouts dont value that highly or (my hope) MB is on the verge of making a massive trade (Tavares?) and really wants to see him in person a few times. 

The other thing is that if we traded for Tavares you'd have to think we would ask for a negotiating window with him (to ensure we could trade & sign) so this way MB is there in person to talk to JT.

Unfortunately, i agree with your most likely scenario. Galchenuk for Beauvillier and one of Hickey or Dehaan.   :( 

28 minutes ago, maas_art said:

MB himself doesnt usually do a lot of scouting which leads me to believe its either the isles are offering someone he's not that familiar with/our scouts dont value that highly or (my hope) MB is on the verge of making a massive trade (Tavares?) and really wants to see him in person a few times. 

The other thing is that if we traded for Tavares you'd have to think we would ask for a negotiating window with him (to ensure we could trade & sign) so this way MB is there in person to talk to JT.

Unfortunately, i agree with your most likely scenario. Galchenuk for Beauvillier and one of Hickey or Dehaan.   :( 

MB did a lot of scouting at the trade deadline last year. He was in California quite a bit, and we ended up with Dwight King. So it doesn't mean he's a good judge of talent!

That said, it would be a bit bizarre for him to have to see JT, unless as you said, he wanted to talk about contract prolongation. It makes more sense that they're watching a lesser-known player. And like I said, there were rumors over the past few months that the Isles have asked about Galchenyuk, so MB may be looking at more than one guy to see which one he prefers.

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

oh my god. we are going to go get andrew ladd. how did i not see this

31 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

B Wilde on twitter

Bergevin is watching the NYI a lot. Their top 4 D are all worth pursuing. The forward you want is Matt Barzal who I think will be a 1C.

As much as I dont want AG traded, i have zero problem with either  AG for Barzal + a guy like Dehaan (or Hickey) - or,   AG + ______ for Tavares.  

What i do not want to see is AG for Ladd + Dehaan or something... which i fear is what we'll see. 

Another guy I'd do the AG+ for is Leddy. The only thing is that it would create a huge hole in their defence and they might not be okay with losing him for futures even though they're not sniffing the Cup this year.

Galchenyuk+Juulsen - Leddy?

Galchenyuk+Alzner(50% Retained)+Juulsen - Leddy+Ladd+4th?

1 hour ago, RyderRocks73 said:

Another guy I'd do the AG+ for is Leddy. The only thing is that it would create a huge hole in their defence and they might not be okay with losing him for futures even though they're not sniffing the Cup this year.

Galchenyuk+Juulsen - Leddy?

Galchenyuk+Alzner(50% Retained)+Juulsen - Leddy+Ladd+4th?

Id be interested in Leddy but not at a cost of AG + _____   Leddy is like 4 years old and while i think he's better than the numbers show on poor NYI teams I think AG's is worth more than him.   I might entertain AG for Leddy + Beauvillier     Id also consider  Leddy + Barzal for AG + Juulsen + Pick.

The problem is that while either of those deals may have worked this time last year, right now i think AG's value is so low we may not get fair value in a trade.  Id really rather keep him unless someone (like snow) is prepared to offer us based on last year's value. 

53 minutes ago, xxdocxx said:

That's as good as any rumour, I guess. It might include Chuck, + top 6 (Gallagher?) ? + Pick? Hope not, but you know Bergy.

- on Tavares, wouldn't count out Nashville either. Why? Tavares and Subban are buddies. Poile has shown he will make the big move. And Nashville has been in serious talks with Colorado for Duchene, so if they are interested in Duchene at center, gotta figure they'd ask about Tavares too.

- Some rumors also out today that Sam Reinhart could be in play (from Friedmann among others) and that Habs could have interest in him as a future center.

23 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

- on Tavares, wouldn't count out Nashville either. Why? Tavares and Subban are buddies. Poile has shown he will make the big move. And Nashville has been in serious talks with Colorado for Duchene, so if they are interested in Duchene at center, gotta figure they'd ask about Tavares too.

- Some rumors also out today that Sam Reinhart could be in play (from Friedmann among others) and that Habs could have interest in him as a future center.

I think just about any team in the league would be in on Tavares.  Even a squad like Pittsburgh might, if they could move Malkin or Crosby and get younger in the process.  

If he is available, I sure hope we're in on him but time will tell. I think its more likely he stays in NY to be honest. 

2nd overall pick,,,, only 21. Wow, that would cost us too. 

Tavares would be willing to sign an extension with Montreal? :lol: That one's a little hard for me to believe. Unless Shea Weber and Carey Price really hold that much sway across the league, making Montreal an attractive destination...

The Sam Reinhart thing is probably a little more believable. I believe he's had a horrendous start to the season in Buffalo.

29 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

2nd overall pick,,,, only 21. Wow, that would cost us too. 

His value may not be much different than AG's to be honest. They are both supremely talented and both have shown flashes of Brilliance.  AG has 205 pts in 341 games = .60ppg while Reinhart is 91 pts in 173 games = .53ppg   but obviously with Reinhart being 2 years younger.

Reinhart is a natural RW (although he's played centre) so I could see the appeal for us to get him (Pacioretty - Drouin - Reinhart are first line players on almost any team in the league) but why does Buffalo give up on him so quickly?  Would Galchenyuk fill a hole on their roster?

Its a potentially risky move for both clubs but compared with some of the names ive heard rumoured associated with AG (Dehaan, Duchene etc) at least I can live with getting a skilled younger player in return. 

2 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Tavares would be willing to sign an extension with Montreal? :lol: That one's a little hard for me to believe. Unless Shea Weber and Carey Price really hold that much sway across the league, making Montreal an attractive destination...

The Sam Reinhart thing is probably a little more believable. I believe he's had a horrendous start to the season in Buffalo.

You listen to what a lot of hockey players and media members say, and I really do believe Weber and Price are highly-regarded in the hockey community. I think a lot of that has to do with their Olympic success and reputation at that level. So especially for Canadian-born players, I think they see value in being teammates with those players, and if JT ever got to free agency, I think Weber and Price would have some amount of impact in trying to attract him to come here. Then again, I think players like Stamkos and Subban and Crosby and so on also carry that weight, so I don't think we're alone in having that advantage.

But I'll go through the same arguments I went through with the Stamkos situation. JT is probably going to want to go to a team where he's the #1 center. He's going to want a max contract with big dollar amounts, so it'll also have to be a team that can afford to pay him and has the cap space to do it. And if you believe the rumors, JT is hesitating to sign with the Isles not because he doesn't want to play there but because he wants a commitment to winning. So if he's leaving, it'll be because he believes the destination he's going to will give him that shot (although with the cap, parity gives a lot of teams the chance to be a contender if they have JT). Lastly, just like Stamkos, there's the question of whether being close to or in Ontario matters. So the list is going to be pretty similar to the short-list for Stamkos... Mtl, Tor, TB, NYI, NYR, NJD, Buf, Clb, Nas, and Chi are all teams that jump out at me.

That said, Everyone's blowing the Larry Brooks post out of proportion in my view. He states in his piece that Tavares would be interested in places like TB, Mtl, or Tor. And then that seems to have been turned into rumors about how JT wants to go to one of those three places. So I think that's an exaggeration. All we know is that JT hasn't signed with the Isles yet and that he might be waiting to see what's happening with the arena deal and the shape of the roster before making a decision. And we know MB has been scouting the Isles intently, although it's more likely that he's looking at a defenceman or young prospect (not sure he needs 2-3 looks at Tavares to make up his mind). I doubt the Isles deal JT this early in the season. I think it happens between Jan 1st and the draft, not now. Nevertheless, nice to know that we could be in the mix and that there's some amount of fit there to make it happen.

• H_T_L locked this topic