The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2017-18 The Rumors Thread

BigTed3

Winnipeg and Montreal with strong interest in Karl Alzner. Indications are the Jets and Canadiens have had discussions with Alzner.

More

Jordan Weal is currently meeting with the Canucks. He also met with Toronto and Montreal this week and has other teams interested as well.

A couple of Tweets from Darren Dreger of interest.  Grabbing Jordan Weal could be the steal of signing season.  Alzner could help that left side out a little.

36 minutes ago, East_Coast_Juggalo_13 said:
A couple of Tweets from Darren Dreger of interest.  Grabbing Jordan Weal could be the steal of signing season.  Alzner could help that left side out a little.

I kind of doubt Jordan Weal will be much of a steal though. I mean he's a good little player (sort of Gallagher lite) but he's on a lot of people's radar so id be surprised to see him sign cheaply.

Alzner meanwhile worries me a little. I think he'd be a serviceable defensman here but a) where would he fit in?  If we resign Markov we're set for #2 and #3 left d...  b ) i think cost wise he's going to be way overpriced, which is one thing if you're talking Shattenkirk or some other guy who can play on your first pairing but Alzner?

8 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Alzner meanwhile worries me a little. I think he'd be a serviceable defensman here but a) where would he fit in?  If we resign Markov we're set for #2 and #3 left d...  b ) i think cost wise he's going to be way overpriced, which is one thing if you're talking Shattenkirk or some other guy who can play on your first pairing but Alzner?

The guy is rumoured to be asking 5.5 to 6.5 mill and long term. Pass

7 minutes ago, maas_art said:

I kind of doubt Jordan Weal will be much of a steal though. I mean he's a good little player (sort of Gallagher lite) but he's on a lot of people's radar so id be surprised to see him sign cheaply.

I don't think he'll come here but I don't think whoever signs him will pay TOO much. 3-4 million is already a lot given what he's done. I would certainly offer that. But probably doesn't want to play here. 

Yeah I don't like Alzner and how much he;d cost

4 minutes ago, habsisme said:

I don't think he'll come here but I don't think whoever signs him will pay TOO much. 3-4 million is already a lot given what he's done. I would certainly offer that. But probably doesn't want to play here. 

These UFA guys are pricing themselves out of the market. A bunch of them couldn't find jobs last year and the same could happen this year. Teams are starting to wise up.

1 hour ago, habsisme said:

I think we're in a decent position to take a risk on Weal. We'll be rebuilding in 2 years, so... we might as well take the risk and see what happens.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/nhl-free-agents-rumours-weal-canucks-signing-shattenkirk-brendan-smith-alzner-emelin-daley-montreal-tampa-dallas-coyotes

Markov, Radulov distracting from real issue in Montreal
So, McDavid’s almost done, but what about Carey Price, who’s also eligible to re-sign for eight years as early as Saturday?

Instead, the buzz in Montreal is about 38-year-old Andrei Markov, who has reportedly asked for $12 million over two (presumably declining) seasons. Markov represents himself in negotiations and is coming off a three-year deal that paid him $5.75 million per.

Markov’s high request may be one of the reasons we’re hearing the Habs linked to Alzner and a few other UFA defencemen

10 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/nhl-free-agents-rumours-weal-canucks-signing-shattenkirk-brendan-smith-alzner-emelin-daley-montreal-tampa-dallas-coyotes

Markov, Radulov distracting from real issue in Montreal
So, McDavid’s almost done, but what about Carey Price, who’s also eligible to re-sign for eight years as early as Saturday?

Instead, the buzz in Montreal is about 38-year-old Andrei Markov, who has reportedly asked for $12 million over two (presumably declining) seasons. Markov represents himself in negotiations and is coming off a three-year deal that paid him $5.75 million per.

Markov’s high request may be one of the reasons we’re hearing the Habs linked to Alzner and a few other UFA defencemen

The Habs can pay Radulov 7M and Markov 6M and be done with their shopping or they can look at re-distributing that money elsewhere. I'd love to have Radulov back but at the right price/term, and I don't necessarily feel Markov is a great player, just one of our few options available for a top 4 lefty. I'd still rather see us go after Del Zotto or Kulikov as a fill-in. 985sports is reporting that Eric Gelinas thought the Habs were interested in him, and he and Despres could also be guys we might be able to get on the cheap who can eat up minutes, even if they don't provide much offence.

Personally, I like the idea of going after Thornton (danslescoulisses is reporting he's in Montreal tonight, but who knows if it's true... he's rumored to be heavily interested in LA's multi-year offer as well) and/or Bonino if we can't re-sign Radulov to a reasonable deal. I'd rather bet on Thornton being good for 2-3 years than Radulov being good for 7. So if I look at the roughly 13M we could spend on Radulov/Markov, I'd prefer to spend a tad more and go for

- Thornton 6M

- Bonino 4.25M

- Del Zotto or Kulikov 3.75M

I think that gives us more balance and more strength down the middle. I think we have enough with Pacman, Galch, Drouin, Lehkonen, and Gallagher to be able to make up for not having Radulov on the wing, so long as we strengthen the middle. Something like

Pacioretty-Thornton-Drouin

Galchenyuk-Bonino-Gallagher

Lehkonen-Danault-Shaw

Hudon-Plekanec-McCarron

Byron/Mitchell/Carr/DLR/Martinsen/etc to use as spares...

Even without Bonino, this could still work with Lehk-AG-BG as a 2nd line and Hudon up to the 3rd, but Thornton definitely helps us solidify that top 6...

Just now, Shutoutfan said:

So Lebrun tweeted he heard that we think about bringing back Emelin. That suggests our front office is clicking random buttons. Not very confident that we get out of this offseason with the best possible outcome.

Even if we don't bring him back, the obviously concerning thing is that it tells us MB has no clue how lucky he was to have been given the gift of cap space by LV. It shows MB doesn't understand the need for speed and skill on the back end. Of all the D men he's gotten rid of in the past two years, Emelin is maybe the last guy we should be looking at bringing back. How about working on getting Subban back, Marc?

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

Even if we don't bring him back, the obviously concerning thing is that it tells us MB has no clue how lucky he was to have been given the gift of cap space by LV. It shows MB doesn't understand the need for speed and skill on the back end. Of all the D men he's gotten rid of in the past two years, Emelin is maybe the last guy we should be looking at bringing back. How about working on getting Subban back, Marc?

:6280:

13 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

The Habs can pay Radulov 7M and Markov 6M and be done with their shopping or they can look at re-distributing that money elsewhere. I'd love to have Radulov back but at the right price/term, and I don't necessarily feel Markov is a great player, just one of our few options available for a top 4 lefty. I'd still rather see us go after Del Zotto or Kulikov as a fill-in. 985sports is reporting that Eric Gelinas thought the Habs were interested in him, and he and Despres could also be guys we might be able to get on the cheap who can eat up minutes, even if they don't provide much offence.

Personally, I like the idea of going after Thornton (danslescoulisses is reporting he's in Montreal tonight, but who knows if it's true... he's rumored to be heavily interested in LA's multi-year offer as well) and/or Bonino if we can't re-sign Radulov to a reasonable deal. I'd rather bet on Thornton being good for 2-3 years than Radulov being good for 7. So if I look at the roughly 13M we could spend on Radulov/Markov, I'd prefer to spend a tad more and go for

- Thornton 6M

- Bonino 4.25M

- Del Zotto or Kulikov 3.75M

I think that gives us more balance and more strength down the middle. I think we have enough with Pacman, Galch, Drouin, Lehkonen, and Gallagher to be able to make up for not having Radulov on the wing, so long as we strengthen the middle. Something like

Pacioretty-Thornton-Drouin

Galchenyuk-Bonino-Gallagher

Lehkonen-Danault-Shaw

Hudon-Plekanec-McCarron

Byron/Mitchell/Carr/DLR/Martinsen/etc to use as spares...

Even without Bonino, this could still work with Lehk-AG-BG as a 2nd line and Hudon up to the 3rd, but Thornton definitely helps us solidify that top 6...

Thats a much better forward group than we had last year - even without Radulov. I like it.  Its a short-term solution but lets be honest the short-term is all we've got.

Do you think that adding a Del Zotto, while losing Markov gives us enough on the back-end though?  Im still really worried about that #1LD slot.

4 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

The two things (that only a couple of media outlets have reported) is that 1) we dont know when the report came from, LeBrun himself said it may have been before we traded for Schlemko   and 2) there isnt a note of whether LV would retain salary.  In other words, LV picked Emelin thinking they could trade him but now realize there's no market, so MB is saying "sure, we'll take him back, but you have to eat half of his salary."   Emelin at $4.1m is a problem.  Emelin at $2m is possibly useful.

I would be interested in Thornton as our first line center, but not on a 3-year deal. Bonino I have no interest in. He was a terrible possession player playing behind Crosby and Malkin, no? And I would guess that Crosby and Malkin were the ones receiving the hardest match-ups throughout the season.

It's sad, yet unsurprising, to hear to that Bergevin looked into getting Emelin back. Sounds like someone who has no plan. Like, "Damn, I cannot believe I got myself into a situation where my left D is in shambles... maybe I can get that big Russian guy back!"

I'm also worried about all these rumors linking us with Alzner. I can see us signing him and it becoming a HUGE detriment to the team not just right away, but also long-term. I just don't want Bergevin to sign any deals that make the rebuild too hard in a few seasons.

14 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

I would be interested in Thornton as our first line center, but not on a 3-year deal. Bonino I have no interest in. He was a terrible possession player playing behind Crosby and Malkin, no? And I would guess that Crosby and Malkin were the ones receiving the hardest match-ups throughout the season.

Logically, I would agree about Thornton but honestly, id give him 4 years at this point (I think he's only looking for 2) because he's pretty much the only answer out there (unless we can go with Chucky/Drouin) and we're going to need a rebuild in 2-3 years anyway. 

Bonino - i share your concerns but its tough to say because of how he's been used in Pittsburgh.  In the times there were injuries, he looked really good at #2 centre, so its tough to say how he'd be if he were there consistently.  Id probably offer him a contract but I wouldnt overpay to get him.

It's sad, yet unsurprising, to hear to that Bergevin looked into getting Emelin back. Sounds like someone who has no plan. Like, "Damn, I cannot believe I got myself into a situation where my left D is in shambles... maybe I can get that big Russian guy back!"

Yes, of all the defensman we've lost in the past year, Emelin is the one id least like to have back.  Ok well maybe after Nesterov. :P

I'm also worried about all these rumors linking us with Alzner. I can see us signing him and it becoming a HUGE detriment to the team not just right away, but also long-term. I just don't want Bergevin to sign any deals that make the rebuild too hard in a few seasons.

I dont think Alzner would ever be a detriment but i dont see how he is the right fit.   I also think a good GM can always rebuild, i am just not sure how MB fits into that sentence yet. 

1 hour ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Do you really think the Habs would be interested in Thornton with that beard of his? 

^^ To answer your question about Del Zotto, Jed, no I don't think Del Zotto is as good as Markov. But if it's Markov for 2 years at 6M or Del Zotto at 3-4M for 3-4 years, I'd take the latter. All our D prospects are at least 2-3 years away from the NHL, maybe longer, and we don't really have top 4 guys ready to take over. Del Zotto I'd see as being more akin to Beaulieu... not ideal for the top 4 but passable as a Plan B. I'll come back to the fact Markov was injured and played a shortened season last year, so he looked good compared to past years when he had to play the full thing, occasionally with Olympics too. I don't think Markov can play a full year. If you sign him, I think he needs to be rested for 15-20 games to be fresh for the playoffs. A guy like Kulikov or Del Zotto wouldn't, so you could milk them for more ice time. So toss up. Less talented players but better legs/skating and more endurance. Would you rather have a guy who plays half the year at an A level and half the year as a C or the guy who plays the entire season as a B? That's kind of how I view Markov vs. Del Zotto.

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

^^ To answer your question about Del Zotto, Jed, no I don't think Del Zotto is as good as Markov. But if it's Markov for 2 years at 6M or Del Zotto at 3-4M for 3-4 years, I'd take the latter. All our D prospects are at least 2-3 years away from the NHL, maybe longer, and we don't really have top 4 guys ready to take over. Del Zotto I'd see as being more akin to Beaulieu... not ideal for the top 4 but passable as a Plan B. I'll come back to the fact Markov was injured and played a shortened season last year, so he looked good compared to past years when he had to play the full thing, occasionally with Olympics too. I don't think Markov can play a full year. If you sign him, I think he needs to be rested for 15-20 games to be fresh for the playoffs. A guy like Kulikov or Del Zotto wouldn't, so you could milk them for more ice time. So toss up. Less talented players but better legs/skating and more endurance. Would you rather have a guy who plays half the year at an A level and half the year as a C or the guy who plays the entire season as a B? That's kind of how I view Markov vs. Del Zotto.

If Markov only played approx. 60 games I sure as heck wouldn't pay him more than 3 mil/yr.

17 minutes ago, habs1952 said:

If Markov only played approx. 60 games I sure as heck wouldn't pay him more than 3 mil/yr.

Well that's one of the arguments for not paying him like a top pairing defenceman. He can play at a high level, he just can't hold up doing that for a full year.

2 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

. All our D prospects are at least 2-3 years away from the NHL, maybe longer, and we don't really have top 4 guys ready to take over.

what prospects ? The've been traded away . un;less you mean Lernout , Juulson etc . ....then yea longer

^^ D prospects with a potential shot at the NHL top 4... Juulsen probably 2 years away from the NHL. Mete is probably 3-4 years away. Maybe some of the guys we drafted in 3, 4, or 5 years. Point being, as I said, that we really don't have any relief coming in the next couple of years (maybe longer).

2 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

^^ D prospects with a potential shot at the NHL top 4... Juulsen probably 2 years away from the NHL. Mete is probably 3-4 years away. Maybe some of the guys we drafted in 3, 4, or 5 years. Point being, as I said, that we really don't have any relief coming in the next couple of years (maybe longer).

You should add another couple of years because SL is the coach.

• H_T_L locked this topic