Jump to content
The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2017-18 The Rumors Thread


BigTed3
 Share

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, manquant said:

It's Eklund so... but he just posted that Chicago talked to MTL about Galchenyuk for Anisimov swap.

Sounds like a Bergevin move, i.e. trading away the team's most valuable assets for older and less talented players.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, PuckPundit said:

After hearing Bergevin's dog comment, would Markov snub him as a matter of principle?

I'm more concerned that

1. Radulov and Markov are friends and Radulov has told Markov that he can hold out for more money and MB will give in

2. MB has traded away the entire Russian contingent, so it's almost like he's broken up Markov's clique and why should he come back...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, ramcharger440 said:

Love Marky as a player but he is as old as the hills! if he moves on it will suck a bit but it will force us to make a move for the future.

that would have been fine if Habs kept PK and Surgachev . Now all they have is 29 + yr old grit and character guys

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Marinaro says Markov is talking contract with the Flyers.

Ekllund saying it too.  He also has us and E4 that we are talking contract with Yakupov and that it will be 2 years.  Take it with a grain of salt. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yakupov might work, but he is running out of time. He was petty brutal with Edmonton and had a tough time making it as an every day player in St. Louis. We appear to be taking on a lot of first round fails this year, so why not one more. I think Bergevn needs to swallow hard and get Markov back especially now that Rad is gone and he has the cap space. He may not want to look bad and go back on his word, but it will look worse if he lets him go and we suffer for scoring on defence and powerplay.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Habberwacky said:

 I think Bergevn needs to swallow hard and get Markov back especially now that Rad is gone and he has the cap space. 

Agreed.  There are no other players that offer what Markov does at this point and we really need that back. I  hate the ask that Markov wanted but short of trading a guy like Galchenyuk (Which i do NOT want to do) i think there is no way to replace what Markov brings to our blue line. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm not worried about the age or speed of our D corps so much as the complete 5-on-5 futility of everyone except Petry. Without Markov, we have exactly one defenceman who isn't a liability in the offensive zone 5-on-5. If we don't resign him, there's essentially no other serious options available unless we want to be out of it by December or forced into paying too much to another team who knows how deep of a hole we're in. If we're still pretending that this team is a legitimate conference final threat, giving Markov his two years is what has to be done.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So, reading between the lines of the news reports it seems like Markov still wants to play for us, we still want him but MB is standing pat on Term.  I wonder if he's suggested a smaller $$ for 2 years.  In other words, Markov can have $6m for one year, or $4m for 2 years, take his pick.  Then at least we mitigate the cap hit if he does have a huge drop in talent this year.

I hate that we're in this bind but honestly im at the point where if i was MB id give Markov what he wants.  Look at the most likely "worst case scenario" - Markov loses another step and we cant play him in the top 4.  It would suck and he'd be a very costly 3rd pairing guy, but one that would still be very effective next to Benn - and - i have zero doubt that markov can be a PP quarterback for another few years, so he'd be your #5-6 dman and your top PP quarterback.

The only team that it sounds like Markov has had discussions with is Philly and they have given him the same answer as Bergevin:  Not interested in anything more than a 1 year deal. 

 

Right now id rank our defensmen as:
Weber
Petry
Benn
Alzner
Schlemko
Davidson
Redmond
Morrow


With Jakob J and Juulsen  as question marks because i dont know where they fit in.   If we resigned Markov Id probably slot him in between Petry & Benn, which means we really need to resign this guy. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, maas_art said:

So, reading between the lines of the news reports it seems like Markov still wants to play for us, we still want him but MB is standing pat on Term.  I wonder if he's suggested a smaller $$ for 2 years.  In other words, Markov can have $6m for one year, or $4m for 2 years, take his pick.  Then at least we mitigate the cap hit if he does have a huge drop in talent this year.

I hate that we're in this bind but honestly im at the point where if i was MB id give Markov what he wants.  Look at the most likely "worst case scenario" - Markov loses another step and we cant play him in the top 4.  It would suck and he'd be a very costly 3rd pairing guy, but one that would still be very effective next to Benn - and - i have zero doubt that markov can be a PP quarterback for another few years, so he'd be your #5-6 dman and your top PP quarterback.

The only team that it sounds like Markov has had discussions with is Philly and they have given him the same answer as Bergevin:  Not interested in anything more than a 1 year deal. 

 

Right now id rank our defensmen as:
Weber
Petry
Benn
Alzner
Schlemko
Davidson
Redmond
Morrow


With Jakob J and Juulsen  as question marks because i dont know where they fit in.   If we resigned Markov Id probably slot him in between Petry & Benn, which means we really need to resign this guy. 

I think the season is already lost though. I'm more concerned about signing Galchenyuk long term because I KNOW we aren't winning this year... let Markov play for a team that can challenge for the cup. I can cheer for him they way I cheered for PK when Habs are playing golf

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, maas_art said:

With Jakob J and Juulsen  as question marks because i dont know where they fit in.   If we resigned Markov Id probably slot him in between Petry & Benn, which means we really need to resign this guy. 

No argument there, and frankly does it really matter financially if we sign him to a 1- or 2-year deal at this point? We currently have Price, Weber, Alzner, Petry, Schlemko, Drouin, Shaw, Gallagher and hopefully Galchenyuk signed long-term. Plekanec will be off the books entirely or re-signed at a much lower Cap hit after next season and Markov's potential 2-year deal will expire at the same time Pacioretty's new contract kicks in, provided we even want to extend him of course.

There's no better alternative on the UFA market, why not bring him back? This is not the time for playing hardball IMO.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, ChiLla said:

There's no better alternative on the UFA market, why not bring him back? This is not the time for playing hardball IMO.

Agreed.  If nothing else, you'd have to think MB could just go back to Markov & say "lets do $5m per for 2 years & be done with it."  If you're markov you see you havent got any calls and if you're bergevin you realize he's your best bet. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, habsisme said:

I think the season is already lost though. I'm more concerned about signing Galchenyuk long term because I KNOW we aren't winning this year... let Markov play for a team that can challenge for the cup. I can cheer for him they way I cheered for PK when Habs are playing golf

I guess im more optimistic.  I think MB has built a team around the idea of  Julien creating a 2017 trap system. I have no idea if it can, or will, work but i think we might actually be ok.  Its going to be boring as hell but i think we'll get some W's.   

I actually think we'll be competitive for 1, maybe 2 more years.  But then i think the bottom is going to drop out.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, maas_art said:

I guess im more optimistic.  I think MB has built a team around the idea of  Julien creating a 2017 trap system. I have no idea if it can, or will, work but i think we might actually be ok.  Its going to be boring as hell but i think we'll get some W's.   

I actually think we'll be competitive for 1, maybe 2 more years.  But then i think the bottom is going to drop out.   

I think we'll be competitive too but I just don't think we can win a cup or get past the third round of the playoffs (and only because we have a weak division - that's getting better - Leafs may already be better than us)

How can we play a trap system with the centers we have? Galchenyuk will have to play center and at this point I don't think he is capable of do it (its all between the ears but its clear he doesn't care) and so we have Danault and Plekanec.... How can you win a playoff series with those centers... We have to hope 2 of the following happen: Galchenyuk decides he cares enough to learn to play the position, Plekanec rebounds, Danault takes a big step, Hudon/McCarron take big steps. IF some of those happened I don't think it would matter that much if Markov were there or not. 

I would sign him to a 2 year deal but no more than 4.5 a year cap hit and I would sign Chucky first

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If not Markov, who are we going to spend our money on?  We've got the space, we really need the left-handed D, and the difference between 1 and 2 years is not going to completely hamstring us.  Sure maybe we hold out and save a bit, but IMO it's just not worth the risk of him leaving.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Eklund has us back in on Duchene which is pretty funny considering Sakic has said repeatedly he's not trading Duchene unless he gets a top end defensman/defensive prospect in return.

Hrm, maybe Colorado would do:

Duchene + Rantanen

for

Weber 

It would make our D-corps a lot thinner but we'd be looking really good up front with Pacioretty, Galchenyuk, Drouin, Duchene, Gallagher and Lehkonen in our top 6.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Manatee-X said:

If not Markov, who are we going to spend our money on?  We've got the space, we really need the left-handed D, and the difference between 1 and 2 years is not going to completely hamstring us.  Sure maybe we hold out and save a bit, but IMO it's just not worth the risk of him leaving.

I would do say 5.5 for  this year and 3.5 for next with an option for either side to back out next year. If he has this years money and gets a little from a buyout next year I think he is worth it. Giving Price 8 years of 10.5 may be influencing Markov to think his value should be worth at least something for next year. Lets hope he has enough loose change to sign him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If he wants a 2 year deal I would not move an inch from 4.5. On a one year deal, at this point I don't care what he gets and what MB can fit in. But if Markov thinks that at his age he's going to get a multiyear deal without a significant discount... he's absolutely crazy. I don't want him on the team, just like I'm glad that if Radulov was going to leave over such little difference, I'm glad he's gone... enough already. Our team is gonna suck anyway, let's suck with some dignity 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • H_T_L locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...