The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2017-18 The Rumors Thread

BigTed3

4 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Some rumors via Dregger, TFP, Pat HIckey and Bob McKenzie:

- Shaw and McCarron have both been on the trade block all season.  This is interesting but sort of weird to me. Neither are premiere players and neither would bring back a lot in a trade.  Shaw has been much better this season and while I would trade either they arent the kind of guys you "put out there" to attract deals for great players.  Once again seems to acknowledge Bergevin's lack of a plan or central focus.

- Pacioretty will likely be traded but possibly not till the draft.  There seems to be a pretty general consensus he wont be back with us next season. 

- Galchenyuk is still available but not really being "shopped."

- Bergevin's plan (as many of us wondered) once he couldnt sign Markov and Radulov, was to hold on to the cap space until trade deadline.  Its a totally flawed plan - not simply because we were not good enough to be a playoff team without that cap space being used but also because cap is rarely the issue come trade deadline time. Totally bizarre move on his part.

- They havent decided if they are moving Plekanec.  CJ really likes him so i think there's some debate as to whether we'd just resign him next year for our bottom 6.  Obviously you can trade someone & then resign them in the summer but it can complicate things.  I guess the question is always what is he worth? If we can only get a 4th rounder for him and you want to resign him....   but if you can get a 2nd or better, why not move him? 

Shaw and McCarron i don't think other GMs value these players like MB values them, i don't see either being moved.

Pacioretty if we could i'd rather keep him, if not move him soon and get it over with

as for Galchenyuk you cant bash a player all year and demote him constantly and think he's gonna bring value in a trade, kinda dumb

(- Bergevin's plan (as many of us wondered) once he couldnt sign Markov and Radulov, was to hold on to the cap space until trade deadline.  Its a totally flawed plan - not simply because we were not good enough to be a playoff team without that cap space being used but also because cap is rarely the issue come trade deadline time. Totally bizarre move on his part. )  IF this is true he should have been fired at the beginning of the season

i hope the realize its tim to move on from Plekanec, there's enough defencive guys on this team to take his spot, but i do like him

40 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Some rumors via Dregger, TFP, Pat HIckey and Bob McKenzie:

- Shaw and McCarron have both been on the trade block all season.  This is interesting but sort of weird to me. Neither are premiere players and neither would bring back a lot in a trade.  Shaw has been much better this season and while I would trade either they arent the kind of guys you "put out there" to attract deals for great players.  Once again seems to acknowledge Bergevin's lack of a plan or central focus.

- Pacioretty will likely be traded but possibly not till the draft.  There seems to be a pretty general consensus he wont be back with us next season. 

- Galchenyuk is still available but not really being "shopped."

- Bergevin's plan (as many of us wondered) once he couldnt sign Markov and Radulov, was to hold on to the cap space until trade deadline.  Its a totally flawed plan - not simply because we were not good enough to be a playoff team without that cap space being used but also because cap is rarely the issue come trade deadline time. Totally bizarre move on his part.

- They havent decided if they are moving Plekanec.  CJ really likes him so i think there's some debate as to whether we'd just resign him next year for our bottom 6.  Obviously you can trade someone & then resign them in the summer but it can complicate things.  I guess the question is always what is he worth? If we can only get a 4th rounder for him and you want to resign him....   but if you can get a 2nd or better, why not move him? 

Even just reading your summary here suggests a real lack of a plan. Who was the core of the team just a couple of years ago? Price, Subban, Markov, Pacioretty, Plekanec, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, then add on Petry and Radulov to that group... those were basically the guys we were building around. Radulov and Markov were left hanging. Subban was traded below market value. Pacioretty and Galchenyuk are both rumored to be available. Plekanec may be on his way out too. So Bergevin has almost completely dismantled his core. His entire D corps is made up of players who weren't here 3 years ago. The entire thing. There isn't one holdover. Emelin gone. Beaulieu gone. Pateryn gone. Tinordi gone. And even the guys he's been acquiring recently go right back down the garbage chute... where are King, Ott, Nesterov, Martinsen, Flynn, Mitchell, DSP, Thomas, Sekac, Gilbert, Briere, Parenteau, Ryder, Gonchar, Fleischmann, Vanek,Barberio, Semin, Matteau, Lessio, Scrivens, Bartley, Scott, and so on. Now he's looking at dumping Shaw, the guy he let go of Eller to afford and the guy he traded two good 2nd's to acquire? Now he's looking at trading McCarron, the guy he fought TT to draft because Bergevin wanted size over skill? Bergevin has made a ton of trades since he took over, but how many of them have made the team better? Very few. Most of them have been tinkering. Most of them have been swapping role players in and out. Most of them have been attempts to repair previous errors. But overall, there's very little actual direction here, which is why we are farther away from a Cup than ever in Year 6 of the 5-Year plan. It's why we have more of our draft picks playing for other teams than playing for us. It's why we made trades to make our core older but failed to address key needs to be in a position to use those players in the right window. Bergevin's tenure has been utterly brutal...

I still wouldn't make any decision on patches just yet. I'd still try and make a push for Johnny T as we get closer to the trade deadline. I mean what do we have to lose as of right now we are going no where IMO. If he was staying with the Islanders i'd think he would have signed by now. Patches would make good trade bait at the deadline. A number of sources are saying that the islanders management are getting nervous and if they start to fall out of the playoff race they just might want to get someone for him.  Patches being a home town boy may be a good fit plus the isles are desperate for goaltending  Mcniven or lindgren  plus a first. It would have to be a sign and trade deal as well. Maybe I'm dreaming someone please pinch me and wake me up.

19 minutes ago, xxdocxx said:

I still wouldn't make any decision on patches just yet. I'd still try and make a push for Johnny T as we get closer to the trade deadline. I mean what do we have to lose as of right now we are going no where IMO. If he was staying with the Islanders i'd think he would have signed by now. Patches would make good trade bait at the deadline. A number of sources are saying that the islanders management are getting nervous and if they start to fall out of the playoff race they just might want to get someone for him.  Patches being a home town boy may be a good fit plus the isles are desperate for goaltending  Mcniven or lindgren  plus a first. It would have to be a sign and trade deal as well. Maybe I'm dreaming someone please pinch me and wake me up.

I think you're right re: Tavares but I also think NYI would offer him pretty much anything he wants. So one of two things:  1) he simply doesnt want to play in NY, or 2) he wants to 

If its option 2 then there's no point in trading for him. if its option 1 then id absolutely be all over it.   The trump card we may have is his agent: Brisson, who has called Marc Bergevin a "very close friend"  a number of times.   Even though it would be illegal for us to talk to tavares (or brisson) right now, I suspect that MB has a sense of whether he has a shot at JT. 

29 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Some Pacioretty trade options to explore according to Sportsnet:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/six-potential-trade-destinations-canadiens-max-pacioretty/

All six have interesting options.   I think our ideal return would be: a roster top 4 LD, a top flight C prospect and either a pick or a second prospect.    I wouldnt be opposed to a 1 for 1 for an established (and younger) centre, like RNH. 

3 hours ago, maas_art said:

Even though it would be illegal for us to talk to tavares (or brisson) right now, I suspect that MB has a sense of whether he has a shot at JT. 

agreed but not illegal to talk to Garth Snow. He should be keeping up communication 

2 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

FWIW, The Athletic reporting that Jack Johnson has asked for a trade. He's 31 and not at all what we should be looking for, but he's available it seems. Hopefully Bergevin stays away.

Oh my god. I just had the same sense of impending dread I got when I realized Alzner was a pending UFA. This is totally happening isn't it.

21 minutes ago, Noob616 said:

Oh my god. I just had the same sense of impending dread I got when I realized Alzner was a pending UFA. This is totally happening isn't it.

Absolutely. I can see Bergevin's eyes lighting up at the thought of former #3 overall pick LHD to solve all his woes... at the very least, JJ is a UFA after this season, but why would you give up any assets at all for an older player when 1) you can't win this season anyways and 2) your D is already one of the slowest in the league?

39 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Absolutely. I can see Bergevin's eyes lighting up at the thought of former #3 overall pick LHD to solve all his woes... at the very least, JJ is a UFA after this season, but why would you give up any assets at all for an older player when 1) you can't win this season anyways and 2) your D is already one of the slowest in the league?

I'm more concerned he'll throw 5X5 at him in the summer. 

24 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Elliotte Friedman reporting that the Pens could have interest in Plekanec to replace what they lost with Bonino but that they don't have the cap space to make the move work for now.

Maybe a combo of retaining salary and taking one of their depth defenders (Hunwick or Cole?) could make it work.

56 minutes ago, Noob616 said:

Maybe a combo of retaining salary and taking one of their depth defenders (Hunwick or Cole?) could make it work.

Pens have zero cap room now and would have 866k at deadline. They would need to send 5.2M back the other way to us (or clear it in a separate deal), which seems like an awful lot of work to acquire a 3rd line center. The only individual players making enough to make that happen are Malkin, Crosby, Letang, Kessel, and Schultz, none of whom they are trading to acquire Pleky. So it would almost have to be 2 guys, one of whom Pittsburgh apparently wants to be the 4M Carl Hagelin. The issue with Hagelin is that he has another year at 4M, and there's no reason for us to accept a cap handicap next year unless Pittsburgh is also sending us their best prospect or a 1st rounder... so I really don't see a fit here unless Letang is dealt in a separate trade.

9 minutes ago, jeff33 said:

There's no doubt Bergevin loves Dubois. He apparently tried very hard to trade up for him at the draft and might have had a deal with the Oilers to take him at #4 until Clb jumped in and surprised everyone by taking him at #3. He's a great target right now, because he's definitely got #1 center potential but isn't quite there yet. It remains to be seen if Clb would consider dealing him though. I don't think we have a prospect as good as him, so whatever we trade them would have to make them better right away. The article cites Galchenyuk as being one target, although I wonder if a young Finn like Lehkonen could be a player of interest to Jarmo Kekaleinen, who maybe knows him a bit better than most. I have zero interest in Johnson and really hope he's not a player being discussed. They do, however, have a number of great young defencemen, and it would be fantastic if Bergevin could somehow convince Clb that Shea Weber would be of more use to them for their playoff runs than what they have...

So something like...

Galchenyuk, Lehkonen, Weber, and Was's 2nd round pick 2018

FOR

Dubois, Seth Jones, and a 4th round pick

• H_T_L locked this topic