Jump to content
The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2017-18 The Rumors Thread


BigTed3
 Share

Recommended Posts

More rumblings about Oilers listening on Klefbom. Habs should be all over that, especially if they're still planning to build around a core of Weber/Price and be competitive. Klefbom is a perfect partner for Weber and then in the medium term you have a strong second pair of Mete-Petry, and Alzner gets pushed down the lineup to the third pair where he isn't overexposed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nick Kypreos reporting that the Sharks, in addition to the Pens, have interest in Plekanec. The Sharks apparently want him as insurance because of Thornton's injuries.

On a separate note, Bergevin was at the Wild-Hawks game last night and apparently went into Chuck Fletcher's box to speak with him during the game. Rumors of a Galchenyuk for Brodin based deal back on again... given how well AG has played of late, I'd be asking for more than Brodin to part with him. AG can still be part of a quick re-build core, so there's zero reason to trade him. If Minny wants him, they'd better be paying up big time or I would pass on any deal. AG showed last night how much skill he has, and I'm not in a hurry to give that up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, BigTed3 said:

Nick Kypreos reporting that the Sharks, in addition to the Pens, have interest in Plekanec. The Sharks apparently want him as insurance because of Thornton's injuries.

On a separate note, Bergevin was at the Wild-Hawks game last night and apparently went into Chuck Fletcher's box to speak with him during the game. Rumors of a Galchenyuk for Brodin based deal back on again... given how well AG has played of late, I'd be asking for more than Brodin to part with him. AG can still be part of a quick re-build core, so there's zero reason to trade him. If Minny wants him, they'd better be paying up big time or I would pass on any deal. AG showed last night how much skill he has, and I'm not in a hurry to give that up.

Yup.....I think if AG can continue to play like he did last it would be a mistake to let him go. Tons of skill if the reins are taken off.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah I wouldn't really be thrilled with a Brodin for Galchenyuk swap. Brodin's not bad and he helps stabilize the LD but his reputation is out of line with his actual level of play. He pretty much just treads water and eats minutes which is fine but you don't trade Galchenyuk for a guy that treads water.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Noob616 said:

Yeah I wouldn't really be thrilled with a Brodin for Galchenyuk swap. Brodin's not bad and he helps stabilize the LD but his reputation is out of line with his actual level of play. He pretty much just treads water and eats minutes which is fine but you don't trade Galchenyuk for a guy that treads water.

Yeah, Brodin is a good 2nd pairing guy. He's better than most of the D men we have already. But he's not a game-changer the way Galchenyuk can be. AG needs to sort out his defensive game, but he's one of if not the most skilled hockey player we have. And like we've said, for a team that's gotten rid of most of its players with flair and finesse, they need to hang on to one of the few guys we have who can make plays out of nothing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Habs have a scout at the Leafs/Lightning game again tonight. FWIW that's about 4 games in a row that they've been scouting Tor.

Maybe they can't afford to go anywhere else. :P

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Noob616 said:

Weber for Nylander let's go

That's what we SHOULD be trying to do. I doubt MB is thinking about it. The Leafs are in a bit of a quandry right now, with Soshnikov's conditioning stint ending. He's come back to TO, but with no spot on the roster, they've fishily placed him on IR again. It sure looks like a fake gesture to avoid having to waive someone, but the Leafs are trying to deny that and saying he needs more practice time before he's ready (which I thought was the point of the conditioning stint).

In any case, rumors around TO are that they may want to deal Soshnikov, Leivo, or Martin, rather than looking to make a huge deal right now, and I'm guessing MB may be scouting one of those guys moreso than anything else (please not Martin, please not Martin...). But that said, Tor is looking to upgrade their D and have shown interest in McDonagh. We also know Babcock loves Weber. So who knows... it would make sense for both teams.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, maas_art said:

It would require Bergevin to swallow his ego, will he?

I don't think so, and I highly doubt he'll trade Weber within the division. It would be kinda funny though, just imagine if both Subban and Weber made it to the finals while MB keeps gutting our roster :D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Part rumour, part speculation, this article by Scott Matla is pretty interesting.

In it, he suggests that we should enquire about Paul Martin from the Sharks.  Part of this is because even though he's in the minors for them, he's probably better than 1/2 our defensmen.   But the other thing is, the sharks are obviously desperate to get that salary off the books so what would they give us to sweeten the deal.   He mentions that Martin has been better than Schlemko but forgets that Schlemko was actually quite good for the sharks last year.  Would they want him back? 

What about something like:

Tomas Plekanec + David Schlemko 

for

Paul Martin, Jayden Halbgewachs & Julius Bergman

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

That's what we SHOULD be trying to do. I doubt MB is thinking about it. The Leafs are in a bit of a quandry right now, with Soshnikov's conditioning stint ending. He's come back to TO, but with no spot on the roster, they've fishily placed him on IR again. It sure looks like a fake gesture to avoid having to waive someone, but the Leafs are trying to deny that and saying he needs more practice time before he's ready (which I thought was the point of the conditioning stint).

In any case, rumors around TO are that they may want to deal Soshnikov, Leivo, or Martin, rather than looking to make a huge deal right now, and I'm guessing MB may be scouting one of those guys moreso than anything else (please not Martin, please not Martin...). But that said, Tor is looking to upgrade their D and have shown interest in McDonagh. We also know Babcock loves Weber. So who knows... it would make sense for both teams.

At 27 years of age I'd say Mcdonagh would be a much better fit in Toronto than Weber even if he might cost a little more.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Habs=stanleycup said:

That would be a BIG steal for us, but it won`t happen because our GM isn`t exactly progressive. Plus our owner who lacks hockey sense backs him up 100%.

It wouldn't shock me, given the value of D men. I think lots of people are over-valuing players like Paccioretty and Chucky and under-valuing Weber and in some cases maybe even Pleks.

Position matters!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As most know I am not the biggest supporter of Galchenyk. But its refreshing to have a coach actually compliment his players instead of beating them down like the previous successor. Maybe they keep Galchenyk and I get to eat my words.

And while the debate whether Alex Galchenyuk belongs at center or on the wing will likely continue, Julien for his part likes what he sees from the 24-year-old overall.

"It's obvious to me that he's become a much better player today than from the day I arrived," underlined the 57-year-old. "He skates better, and is confident with the puck. He's still young and continues to work on the parts of his game that he needs to improve. He has a good attitude and wants to get better.

I have nothing bad to say about Alex. He's someone who wants success for himself, but wants it even more so for the team."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

From Elliotte Friedman:

- Throws out the possibility of Pacioretty to Florida

- Suggests Plekanec wants to stay and Julien wants to keep him... NO!!!!

- States Montreal would be interested in Max Domi

Yeah this all sounds about right.

I have a sneaking suspicion we will see:

- Max moved (hopefully for a cant-miss centre prospect)

- Galchenyuk stay (I hope!!)

- Pleks stay (I dont mind him resigned as a 4th line centre but why not get an asset out of him now?  Give him a chance to win a cup too!

- Possibly guys like Schlemko, Neimi or Morrow sent to a team that wants some injury insurance.  We wont get much for any of them.


As usual, Marc will most likely 'tinker' when he should be on full tear down mode. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, Ravadak said:

Just assume no teams want to give up their young up an coming players for the likes of Weber and MCdonagh. 

but both the habs and nyr want to make the move for sake of making a move.

 

Would you do a trade strait up. Weber for McDonagh ?

I personally wouldnt (although I certainly can see why some might jump at the chance).  If we're entertaining the idea of moving Weber then I think we can get a lot more for him than McDonaugh.  Weber's contract is scary but there are at least 4 or 5 teams that I think would pay handsomely in 'futures' to get him, even at this stage of his career.  We are fans for life - GMs often think  a year at a time. Weber right now - and for the next couple of years - probably makes any team in the NHL better.  Whether then can afford him, or have the assets to get him is another story but, even though he's no PK Subban, he's still a great player.  McDonaugh, while younger and on a much easier contract is not the same impact Weber is and I think you could get considerably more for SW than RM.  Now, someone needs to convince MB to trade him!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Personally I think RM will get more than Weber. Both are viewed as #1 D men, but RM is on a shorter contract that pays less and he's younger. I think SW's contract will reduce the number of suitors and bring the price down below that of RM.

On a separate but related note, Phaneuf pulled out of the Ottawa line-up and rumored to be heading to the Kings (the two teams are apparently close to finalizing a deal), so we'll start to see what the market is for D men now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Personally I think RM will get more than Weber. Both are viewed as #1 D men, but RM is on a shorter contract that pays less and he's younger. I think SW's contract will reduce the number of suitors and bring the price down below that of RM.

On a separate but related note, Phaneuf pulled out of the Ottawa line-up and rumored to be heading to the Kings (the two teams are apparently close to finalizing a deal), so we'll start to see what the market is for D men now.

Basically Phaneuf for Gaborik, so nothing exciting. But that's the type of deal MB may need to make to get rid of Alzner.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • H_T_L locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...