The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2017-18 The Rumors Thread

BigTed3

FWIW, 

Max Pacioretty has been the only name from the Montreal Canadiens linked to teams, but after Hockey Night in Canada last night, we have teams for Tomas Plekanec. According to Nick Kypreos, who has been a nice link for trade talk around the Habs lately, the 35-year-old is drawing trade interest from the Pittsburgh Penguins and San Jose Sharks.

What the Habs get in return for Plekanec for will be interesting. San Jose doesn’t have either their second or third round pick at this year’s draft. That could be a problem considering Montreal is looking for as high as a second in return for the veteran.

Perhaps Marc Bergevin settles for their fourth-round pick and a middling prospect, but it’ll depend on what Pittsburgh offers assuming their the only two teams in the running. The Penguins still have their second round pick so that could put them higher in the running to acquire Plekanec.

13 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Personally I think RM will get more than Weber. Both are viewed as #1 D men, but RM is on a shorter contract that pays less and he's younger. I think SW's contract will reduce the number of suitors and bring the price down below that of RM.

Totally get what you're saying and you may well be right but I still feel like right now, Feb 2018, there are a number of GMs who see Weber as having more of an impact than McDonaugh.  if you trade for either you are most likely trying to win now, and therefore that difference in what they bring probably makes Weber more appealing, contract and all.  Totally get where you're coming from and there's certainly a number of GMs who would think that way too - but those wouldnt be the guys you want to deal with ;) 

13 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Basically Phaneuf for Gaborik, so nothing exciting. But that's the type of deal MB may need to make to get rid of Alzner.

Totally. In itself not a big deal but there have been some suggestions we could have tried to pry a guy like Vilardi out of LA for Pacioretty.  He's such a cant-miss prospect that the kings may not give up on him for a rental (albeit 2 years) but what if we took back Gaborik too.  

Im not saying it would have been the right move but MB needs to explore all options and im not confident he is. 

18 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

Friedman claims that the Florida Panthers could be part of the Pacioretty sweepstakes and Dale Tallon might be willing to part with 2016 first-round draft pick Henrik Borgstrom.

Borgstrom would be very interesting although id want more for a proven scorer like Patches.  

Florida is an interesting team, they have some elite forwards including arguably two #1 centres...  I think there's a number of prospects there we might have a lot interest in but the big question is: Why would they want Pacioretty?  They're not a playoff team and they're barely ahead of us in the standings.  Cant see them trading off good young assets for a guy who may or may not be around when they are ready to compete for a cup.

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

Borgstrom would be very interesting although id want more for a proven scorer like Patches.  

Florida is an interesting team, they have some elite forwards including arguably two #1 centres...  I think there's a number of prospects there we might have a lot interest in but the big question is: Why would they want Pacioretty?  They're not a playoff team and they're barely ahead of us in the standings.  Cant see them trading off good young assets for a guy who may or may not be around when they are ready to compete for a cup.

Yeah, it's certainly unexpected... perhaps Florida would be willing to offer him big $$$ to resign...?

8 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Yeah, it's certainly unexpected... perhaps Florida would be willing to offer him big $$$ to resign...?

Maybe.  And i mean there's certainly something to be said for adding in a couple of good vets to an otherwise young team.  Unlike most teams, they can actually afford to lose a guy like Borgstrom simply because he may have nowhere to play in the lineup (aside from moving to wing) because of their depth, but im not sure if Patches would be the guy they target.

According to Eklund we are chasing Justin Faulk hard.   Id love to add Faulk to our team (assuming we dont give up too much for him) but we would surely have to move Weber if we're doing that, right?  or is RHD the new LW in MB's book?  Can never have too many of them. 

If we do a series of moves (Weber for Nylander,  Patches for #1 Centre Prospect,  ______ for Faulk)  we'd certainly be getting younger and probably better in the long run.  Not sure who Carolina would be interested in though. 

Trade rumours and speculation have ramped up as the deadline approaches, and Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman dropped a bomb involving the Carolina Hurricanes’ Justin Faulk

He mentioned that a deal between the Hurricanes and Detroit Red Wings, involving Andreas Athanasiou, could be a solid fit. If Athanasiou can land a defender of Faulk’s abilities, then the Canadiens have similar pieces that might be even more appealing in a trade right now. 

Montreal has an asset that could likely be even more appealing to a young franchise like Carolina. That of course is the oft-maligned Alex Galchenyuk, a player who was nearly sent packing to Minnesota in the off-season in a trade for Marco Scandella.

At just 24 years old, Galchenyuk perfectly fits the strategy that the Hurricanes have been using for the last several years, where they stockpile young talent through the draft and trades, and ease them into expanded NHL roles.

With several NHL seasons. including a phenomenal 30-goal campaign, Galchenyuk is a near perfect fit for a team of skilled playmakers and goal-scorers similar to himself.

At a cap hit under $5 million, Galchenyuk can easily fit into the Hurricanes' cap situation, as they have plenty of excess space to take on contracts, something they’ll need when some entry-level deals have run their course. As for the Canadiens, they have plenty of room to facilitate a trade, in fact they’d end up with slightly more cap space in a direct swap, as Faulk makes slightly less overall than Galchenyuk.

Id be happy to add Faulk (although I think we MUST move Weber if we did that) but I do not want to lose Galchenuk to do so.   Carolina is another one of those teams that seems like an ill-suited trading partner.  We ideally need to sell assets like Weber, Patches etc to teams that believe they can win now.  Not team that are on a rebuild/retool trajectory. 

If you believe the rumors...

- MB is no longer looking to trade AG

- People believe MP will not be traded at the deadline, maybe in the summer if anything

- Plekanec is a coach's favorite, wants to stay, and Habs are discussing an extension

- MB has told other teams, notably the Jets, that Shaw is not available for trade

So more and more, the rumors seem to suggest MB plans to do nothing at the deadline, other than maybe some minor tinkering. What a waste.

9 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

So more and more, the rumors seem to suggest MB plans to do nothing at the deadline, other than maybe some minor tinkering. What a waste.

If he makes no moves, my question is whether he has basically been fired & holds the position as a window dressing only until the summer, with no power to make trades or shape the roster. 

I personally dont agree with that move, even though i want MB gone.   If you want to fire him, fire him.  Let Dudley or Timmins be interim GM until you can talk to Brisebois this summer or whatever.  

5 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

If you believe the rumors...

- MB is no longer looking to trade AG

- People believe MP will not be traded at the deadline, maybe in the summer if anything

- Plekanec is a coach's favorite, wants to stay, and Habs are discussing an extension

- MB has told other teams, notably the Jets, that Shaw is not available for trade

Agreed. A total waste for us as fans, and a waste of an entire season again!

It`s maddening to see our once proud team waste away into mediocrity thanks to the incompetence of our GM & Owner.

We have become the new version of the old Laffs.

37 minutes ago, Habs=stanleycup said:

Agreed. A total waste for us as fans, and a waste of an entire season again!

It`s maddening to see our once proud team waste away into mediocrity thanks to the incompetence of our GM & Owner.

We have become the new version of the old Laffs.

Ya got that right. :6351:

It's frustrating to hear that the Habs want to focus on youth, but then aren't prepared to trade guys they have no use for next year (Plekanec, since we already have a 3C in Danault), can't afford to realistically pay past next year (Pacioretty) or can replace easily and can easily find a suitor for him who might overpay (Shaw). If all MB does is dump the likes of Benn or Froese or so on for a lower-round pick, then it's a failed deadline. I can be on board with waiting til summer to trade Pacioretty, but there's no excuse for not dealing Plekanec.

3 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

End of the year he's going to say CP had a rough start , then was hurt , the young guys stuggled , Weber was hurt .. Blah , blah , blah . To recap if CP and Weber didn't get hurt and young guys will play better next  year we are a playoff team . So  no changes, once again he'll use CP as a crutch

11 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

End of the year he's going to say CP had a rough start , then was hurt , the young guys stuggled , Weber was hurt .. Blah , blah , blah . To recap if CP and Weber didn't get hurt and young guys will play better next  year we are a playoff team . So  no changes, once again he'll use CP as a crutch

Yup. For sure it`ll be the same old sorry tired excuses. What an embarrassment.

4 hours ago, RuudNuij said:

He mentioned that a deal between the Hurricanes and Detroit Red Wings, involving Andreas Athanasiou, could be a solid fit. If Athanasiou can land a defender of Faulk’s abilities, then the Canadiens have similar pieces that might be even more appealing in a trade right now. 

Yeah I didn't really get that proposal, Faulk has definitely not lived up to the hype of being a dominant #1 stud but he's still at worst a strong second pair defender with a hell of a shot. To me that's worth way more than a middle six winger like Athanasiou. 

12 hours ago, Noob616 said:

Yeah I didn't really get that proposal, Faulk has definitely not lived up to the hype of being a dominant #1 stud but he's still at worst a strong second pair defender with a hell of a shot. To me that's worth way more than a middle six winger like Athanasiou. 

agreed, and according to the stats in this rapport, Galchenyuk is the far better and more versatile player.

but a part of me fears that (like said here before) there will be little or no trades made, Seems we`re going to ride the season out, maybe MB is up to something bigger, or he just doesn't` know what to do with this team anymore.

7 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

If I were Tomas I would be ASKING to be traded. He can resign here after a post-season run. How could he not want the chance to win a Cup?

If you`re talking about Plekanec, why should he WANT to go when can simply sit back on his bloated salary of $6 million. Wherever he ends up moving, IF he does, I`m sure he`ll be taking a drastic pay-cut.

57 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

If I were Tomas I would be ASKING to be traded. He can resign here after a post-season run. How could he not want the chance to win a Cup?

I'm not sure players feel the same way winning the cup when they're brought in at the deadline compared to being with a team for the full season.  

1 hour ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Totally.  Imagine getting a chance to play behind Crosby and Malkin for a playoff run?

13 minutes ago, habs1952 said:

I'm not sure players feel the same way winning the cup when they're brought in at the deadline compared to being with a team for the full season.  

You're probably right but, with a guy like Plekanec who has worked hard for a long time and never made it particularly close, I think he'd relish the chance. 

• H_T_L locked this topic