The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2017-18 The Rumors Thread

BigTed3

1 hour ago, xxdocxx said:

If I'm Montreal with all the cap space I'm all in on Tavares. If not I'm alright with Stastny and Bozak as centers.A bit of luck on the draft pick, a great year from price and guess what we are contenders again. Also a little tweeking with the 3rd and 4th lines. Maybe I'm just dreaming but I  think It's possible.

I would argue that this team was never a contender . They were competitive so long as CP was playing out of this world .

13 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Agreed that you take your shot at JT. If you don't get JT though, I don't see the point in going in on Stastny and Bozak. Those are supporting players as veterans whom you use to go for a Cup. Without JT, we're not there. I'd rather play the young guys and go after prospects via trade/draft.

Agreed. Going in on Stastny and/or Bozak is just adhering to mediocrity for another, 4 years? 5 years? Stastny and Bozak are not players we need to invest money in.

1 hour ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Agreed. Going in on Stastny and/or Bozak is just adhering to mediocrity for another, 4 years? 5 years? Stastny and Bozak are not players we need to invest money in.

As mentioned above, I dont mind either, if they are our #2C behind Tavares & we lock them up for no more than 2-3 years at a non-exorbitant amount. They are not solutions in themselves but as part of a full plan, they could be ok.   

If we were to add Tavares & Stastny, and flip a LW for  top pairing LH DMan (or draft dahlin) then maybe we can compete next year.   I think its putting off the inevitable (rebuild) but there's still a (small) window but MB would have to have a home-run offseason to even come close to that situation. 

23 minutes ago, booboo_mtl said:

I haven't been to this thread in a while but any chance we go after Ryan O'Reilly instead of free agent centres?

unless they are going to give him away for nothing, no.

we have to turn max into a center AND i think we should be trying to sign one as well. 

if we strike out on tavares, im more than happy to sign stastny , but we also have to add someone else to play ahead of him. 

3 hours ago, jeff33 said:

unless they are going to give him away for nothing, no.

we have to turn max into a center AND i think we should be trying to sign one as well. 

if we strike out on tavares, im more than happy to sign stastny , but we also have to add someone else to play ahead of him. 

Well we all know that will be Pleky if MB is still GM.

37 minutes ago, HabsAlways said:

I just don't see us as being an attractive location for Tavares to be honest.     As much as I hate to say it I have a hunch he'll sign with Toronto.

Not unless the Laffs trade Mathews.

56 minutes ago, HabsAlways said:

I just don't see us as being an attractive location for Tavares to be honest.     As much as I hate to say it I have a hunch he'll sign with Toronto.

19 minutes ago, habs1952 said:

Yup. Spending that 6 mill on the Marleau deal will be hard enough to swallow soon.

18 minutes ago, habs1952 said:

They could conceivably sign him even with Mathews ... its what they'd do 3-4 years from now with some others ... I actually just read an article about it.   They'd be tight, but could possibly do it depending on Nylander and two other signings go.

But bottom line I think there's zero chance we land Tavares.

7 hours ago, HabsAlways said:

I agree that if Tavares is looking for a winning team and one that is well organized from the top down he would gravitate to the Laffs.

14 hours ago, HabsAlways said:

Yeah without knowing what he is looking for, its really tough to say.  Ultimately every team has better odds of not signing a player though, so our chance of signing him vs the other 30 teams is slim.   Our chance vs each individual team is far better.   Obviously our thoughts are based on what he's said, what he's done, what NYI has said & what each individual team needs and can afford.

And while i think every team would love to have him, there are quite a few teams you'd have to rule out completely because they just cant afford him or cant fit him into their centre depth because they already have several elite centres (Pitts, Edm).   I think you're left with 8 - 10 teams with both the need and the ability.  There are teams like Toronto who have been listed that just do not have the cap space. Sure they could trade players but they would have to trade a number of them to do so & honestly i think its a step backwards - as good as tavares is. What they really need is help on defense. They'd be far better off making a big push for Karlsson or Doughty.

I think NYI still has a (slight) edge because its a big decision for a player to leave the only team he's known. But it sure feels like he's at least going to talk with other teams.  Maybe he ends up signing with NYI before July 1st, he just wants to see whats out there.

Of the 8-10 teams I think we're probably one of the leaders. We have a lot of good talent spread across the roster, and a case could be made that we would be the right fit for JT.  

Do I think it will happen? I dunno. I dont really want to set myself up for disappointment. As mentioned, odds are still much higher he signs somewhere else just because of numbers. But I do think that individually we have as good a chance as any team - maybe better - so there's definitely a chance imho. 

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

Yeah without knowing what he is looking for, its really tough to say.  Ultimately every team has better odds of not signing a player though, so our chance of signing him vs the other 30 teams is slim.   Our chance vs each individual team is far better.   Obviously our thoughts are based on what he's said, what he's done, what NYI has said & what each individual team needs and can afford.

And while i think every team would love to have him, there are quite a few teams you'd have to rule out completely because they just cant afford him or cant fit him into their centre depth because they already have several elite centres (Pitts, Edm).   I think you're left with 8 - 10 teams with both the need and the ability.  There are teams like Toronto who have been listed that just do not have the cap space. Sure they could trade players but they would have to trade a number of them to do so & honestly i think its a step backwards - as good as tavares is. What they really need is help on defense. They'd be far better off making a big push for Karlsson or Doughty.

I think NYI still has a (slight) edge because its a big decision for a player to leave the only team he's known. But it sure feels like he's at least going to talk with other teams.  Maybe he ends up signing with NYI before July 1st, he just wants to see whats out there.

Of the 8-10 teams I think we're probably one of the leaders. We have a lot of good talent spread across the roster, and a case could be made that we would be the right fit for JT.  

Do I think it will happen? I dunno. I dont really want to set myself up for disappointment. As mentioned, odds are still much higher he signs somewhere else just because of numbers. But I do think that individually we have as good a chance as any team - maybe better - so there's definitely a chance imho. 

Vancouver will have a spot for Tavares.

38 minutes ago, habs1952 said:

Vancouver will have a spot for Tavares.

Totally. With the Sedins gone and some expiring contracts they have something like $21m to play with.  While they do have some good young talent I do think we would be able to sell our roster to JT better than Vancouver.  They are in full-on rebuild, we (with the addition of JT and a couple of other players) be merely in retool mode. 

Its easy to be debbie downer & say the sky is falling & we'll never get a top ufa blah blah blah.  Because hey, you have a 30 in 31 chance of being right!

But none of that changes the fact that we do have a lot to offer, the cap space to do so & if JT is actually interested, there's no reason to think he wont choose montreal.

But whatever, be negative all the time, im sure its lots of fun. 

5 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Its easy to be debbie downer & say the sky is falling & we'll never get a top ufa blah blah blah.  Because hey, you have a 30 in 31 chance of being right!

But none of that changes the fact that we do have a lot to offer, the cap space to do so & if JT is actually interested, there's no reason to think he wont choose montreal.

I agree. I'm down on this team for a lot of reasons and even Tavares alone will not save us, but this team has a solid chance in getting him. There aren't THAT many teams that could even afford to sign him, and there's lot of GOOD reason for him to want to leave. Montreal is as good a fit for him as I can think of. Honestly, I think if he leaves New York and doesn't come here, I'd be surprised.

I've even heard people say he could go to Toronto (Pierre McGuire even) and I honestly could not understand why they would want to spend their cap dollars on a position that is clearly a strength when they are in desperate need of an elite defenseman. It just makes no sense. And I use that as an example of people just being negative for the sake of it, to such an extent that things that clearly make little sense make more sense than an obvious POSSIBILITY; Tavares a Montreal Canadien. I hope he comes and who knows what happens, but it is definitely not crazy for anyone to think that it is GOOD chance that he is coming here. I can't think of a better place for him.

2 hours ago, maas_art said:

No fun in the fact that the problem is, that  some of our best players have been let go; Subban, Radulov & Markov just to name a few, with no one to replace them.

If we were to get Tavares and he were to get injured, we have absolutely no depth at center to replace him.

We play Galchenyuk at wing when he should be playing center. We play Drouin at center when he should be playing at wing position.

This team is totally dysfunctional and without any depth whatsoever thanks to MB.

18 hours ago, maas_art said:

Just trying to be realistic .

Sure I would for JT to sign with Montreal - do I think it will happen , no . If it does the team still needs ALOT of work .

The D is garbage.  Weber will be 33 , hes not getting younger and he was never an offensive D man to start with

Price , as much as I like him , since his all world year has been ordinary

And the forwards are IMO nothing special

I thought MB would have done a decent job , but the team he inherited has been progressively worse each year , and this year is what happened .

So I am await the summer and see what this GM can do

On ‎2018‎-‎04‎-‎05 at 0:24 PM, maas_art said:

There are teams like Toronto who have been listed that just do not have the cap space. Sure they could trade players but they would have to trade a number of them to do so & honestly i think its a step backwards - as good as tavares is. What they really need is help on defense. They'd be far better off making a big push for Karlsson or Doughty.

There dee is actually quite good for the way the game is played today and relatively young,  Rielly, Garder and Zaitsev can all skate really well. and move the puck really well

They have lots of cap, the end of this season Toronto will free up almost 23 million without blinking an eye, Lupul, Pleks, Bozak and Van Riemsdyk, Moore and Polack

Who would u rather have at the number two spot Kadri or Tavares? You can also trade Kadri if you sign Tavares, now that's another 4.5 million.. I am sure Kadri could fetch a good young deeman.

Also Horton, Marleua and Martin are off the books in 2 seasons which is another 13.8 million. That's over 40 million, Mathews 11 or 12, Tavares at 9 or 10, Nylander and Marner are 7 ....36 million and worst case scenario you have to move one of those 4 in a few years.

Not to mention Lou Lamello is pretty shrewd GM unlike the lump we  have with the Habs. And there are always players that like winning cups as opposed to filling their pockets. 

Malkin 9.5, Crosby 8.7, 

And you know what a home town boy, if he wants to play in Canada. This would be his best option. Even if he takes 1 or 2 million less. Why would he choose and other Canadian team

34 minutes ago, caperns61 said:

There dee is actually quite good for the way the game is played today and relatively young,  Rielly, Garder and Zaitsev can all skate really well. and move the puck really well

But they are clearly lacking a true #1 D, its clearly their biggest hole. If we don't sign Tavares I hope they sign him (I wanted them to sign Marleau too), it will take longer for them to win a cup that way. 

34 minutes ago, caperns61 said:

They have lots of cap, the end of this season Toronto will free up almost 23 million without blinking an eye, Lupul, Pleks, Bozak and Van Riemsdyk, Moore and Polack

Maybe I'm looking at the wrong numbers but I don't think their cap situation is as good as you think (Pleks and Lupus have cost them nothing this year - they would have been over the cap if they had both those contracts for the full year and not on IR) and Bozak, Van Riemsdyk, and Kadri, are not nothing players, you're creating some big holes in their line up. Matthews and Marner will have to get signed to long term deals next year (that will start the following year), I am calling it 12.5 million for Matthews (same as McDavid but a year later). And they have to pay Nylander now. 

Its not impossible that Tavares goes to TO but it would take a few moves to do it. If I were GM of that team, I would not make any waves, Leafs are REALLY good; they are one piece away from winning a cup and its not another center. 

Anyway like I said, if not the habs, I HOPE TO signs Tavares and I really mean that

Even if he was interested, is it a smart move to pay Tavares what I hear being talked about (something like 15 million)? He'd be the best overall forward in Montreal in years, maybe decades, but he's not in the same class as McDavid or Crosby; can the team be a cup contender with one player (who isn't even the best in the league at his position) taking up that much of the cap?

I don't know the answer even in the best of cases; and Montreal isn't in those best of cases due to money we have committed long-term at goal and defense.

There's no doubt we could make the move for next season and it will make the team better (although the downside is it will likely make us a bubble team with no real hope of the cup or a top draft pick), but 5 years from now does that cap hit prevent us from building a good team around him?

I'm honestly not sure.

4 minutes ago, Graeme-1 said:

Even if he was interested, is it a smart move to pay Tavares what I hear being talked about (something like 15 million)? He'd be the best overall forward in Montreal in years, maybe decades, but he's not in the same class as McDavid or Crosby; can the team be a cup contender with one player (who isn't even the best in the league at his position) taking up that much of the cap?

I don't know the answer even in the best of cases; and Montreal isn't in those best of cases due to money we have committed long-term at goal and defense.

There's no doubt we could make the move for next season and it will make the team better (although the downside is it will likely make us a bubble team with no real hope of the cup or a top draft pick), but 5 years from now does that cap hit prevent us from building a good team around him?

I'm honestly not sure.

If you sign Tavares its to win in the next 3-5 years, and really with Weber and Price, I would say 3 years TOPS. But if you don't want to do that, then we need to trade Price and Weber and I just don't think management and ownership are going to do that. 

I would pay 12.5, I would be very surprised if he gets more than that, maybe 13 and I think he would only get that much here

11 minutes ago, Graeme-1 said:

I'm honestly not sure.

hes already on the Islanders and they didnt win anything. They can barely make the playoffs. 

I would overpay for him but i would basically trade everyone else and build around him. him plus this current team takes us from last place to the playofff bubble and no further.

• H_T_L locked this topic