The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2017-18 The Rumors Thread

BigTed3

4 hours ago, Habs=stanleycup said:

Yup I can easily see MB making Plekanec a priority to resign with us for next season lol.

You can definitely see Plekanec is done and while it was tough to gauge at the start of the year his continued lack of scoring made it pretty evident. Considering he was our #1,2, centre for much of the year shows how weak we were down the middle. Drouin made it a little better as he settled into the position the last month or two of the season. Bergevin didn't have good picture of how weak we were down the middle from the start of the season.  

6 hours ago, Noob616 said:

Bob McKenzie/Ray Ferraro kinda floated some Ryan O'Reilly speculation, they're wondering if Buffalo's looking to move him and suggested the Habs would be in on him. He's not the mythical "#1C" but he's a very strong fringe 1C and would be a huge help in Montreal. Its basically like rolling the clock back on Plekanec back to his prime.

An ROR trade also helps with the summer, if you get Tavares then Tavares-O'Reilly-Danault is genuinely excellent center depth and probably a good selling point to Tavares (and good leverage against Danault). ROR also means the summer isn't a complete disaster without Tavares, I'd still feel somewhat comfortable with O'Reilly-Stastny-Danault. That wouldn't be excellent depth but it's at least passable and you can try to make an honest run assuming Price/Weber return to form.

What kind of package would you guys think is realistic? Galchenyuk+ probably but I'm not sure what Buffalo needs. They definitely need help on D but Weber and Petry are the only guys they'd want and they're too critical to the Habs having any chance at a decent playoff run to trade away. Would be really nice to still have a Sergachev to trade away.

This makes a whole lot of sense actually. I like O'Reilly a lot and would be very happy if we got him, preferably for Pacioretty+ but yeah, it's likely it'll take Galchenyuk+. Not a fan of O'Reilly's cap hit but whatever, he's probably even worth more money to us given our non-existent center depth. If we then managed to sign another competent center like Statsny/Bozak, we could also move Drouin back to wing and sort of replace Galchenyuk/Pacioretty internally without giving up additional assets.

Get 'er done, Marc.

Whenever I had the opportunity to see Buffalo Play this Year, IMO, O'Reilly was a dynamo not unlike Gallagher. He would be a great acquisition. It is unfortunate that his contract is what it is... however, that may also be a good thing as the Sabres may want to rid themselves of the contract. I'm not sure what it would take... but you have to give to get as they say.

1 hour ago, Habs_Hockey_Nutz said:

There has been speculation that the Rangers could target Tavares, Kovalchuk and Eric Karlsson... can you imagine the Habs doing the same?

With our management?  Never in a million years.

6 minutes ago, East_Coast_Juggalo_13 said:

I've considered the possibility of Ryan O'Reilly to MTL.  I wonder if Botterill would do:

To Buf: Paul Byron, Karl Alzner, MTL 2nd, 2018

To MTL: Ryan O'Reilly

I also wonder if a Weber for Ryan O'Rielly trade is possible?  Contracts are similar and Petry proved capable as a #1 Right hand on the PP.  Maybe Botterill would make that swap.

41 minutes ago, East_Coast_Juggalo_13 said:

I've considered the possibility of Ryan O'Reilly to MTL.  I wonder if Botterill would do:

To Buf: Paul Byron, Karl Alzner, MTL 2nd, 2018

To MTL: Ryan O'Reilly

I don't think so. Byron and a 2nd are both good pieces but they're not nearly enough, and Alzner has negative value. I think either Galchenyuk or a signed Pacioretty would have to be the core to a deal, but that still just feels like a weird fit to me. 

Buffalo needs forwards and Galchenyuk or Pacioretty would help them but their defence is a disaster and it's hard to imagine they move O'Reilly without getting a top 4 defender back. Petry or Weber are both good pieces too but then the Habs open a huge hole on the right side and the age/contracts are bit awkward for the Sabres. I don't see the Habs moving their 1st rounder either, possibly if they fall to #7 in the lottery but I can't see them doing it otherwise. 

18 hours ago, Noob616 said:

I don't think so. Byron and a 2nd are both good pieces but they're not nearly enough, and Alzner has negative value. I think either Galchenyuk or a signed Pacioretty would have to be the core to a deal, but that still just feels like a weird fit to me. 

Buffalo needs forwards and Galchenyuk or Pacioretty would help them but their defence is a disaster and it's hard to imagine they move O'Reilly without getting a top 4 defender back. Petry or Weber are both good pieces too but then the Habs open a huge hole on the right side and the age/contracts are bit awkward for the Sabres. I don't see the Habs moving their 1st rounder either, possibly if they fall to #7 in the lottery but I can't see them doing it otherwise. 

ROR has a lot of value as a player. But if you read the reports from the TSN insiders, they also suggest the market for ROR might not be so big because of his contract. They see that as a deterrent, in addition to his "negative attitude" maybe scaring off some GM's (the irony of Marc Bergevin going after a player who's being traded because his attitude wasn't well-liked in Buffalo!). So I agree that we're not getting ROR for spare parts, but I don't think it'll take MP or AG or our 1st either... I think if you put a player like Lehkonen or Danault or Scherbak in the trade, it might be a starting point. I also think Buffalo will make a big pitch for Tavares if they can clear ROR's cap room, which isn't to say they'll land him, but I think they'll try, just because that's been their MO.

But I could see something like

Lehkonen, Byron, McCarron, and a 2018 2nd round pick

being a decent trade offer of some young players on reasonable salaries... doubt they take Alzner, but maybe we could convince them to take Schlemko.

8 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

ROR has a lot of value as a player. But if you read the reports from the TSN insiders, they also suggest the market for ROR might not be so big because of his contract. They see that as a deterrent, in addition to his "negative attitude" maybe scaring off some GM's (the irony of Marc Bergevin going after a player who's being traded because his attitude wasn't well-liked in Buffalo!). So I agree that we're not getting ROR for spare parts, but I don't think it'll take MP or AG or our 1st either... I think if you put a player like Lehkonen or Danault or Scherbak in the trade, it might be a starting point. I also think Buffalo will make a big pitch for Tavares if they can clear ROR's cap room, which isn't to say they'll land him, but I think they'll try, just because that's been their MO.

But I could see something like

Lehkonen, Byron, McCarron, and a 2018 2nd round pick

being a decent trade offer of some young players on reasonable salaries... doubt they take Alzner, but maybe we could convince them to take Schlemko.

that is too much for a player who has already given up on two teams, has a cap hit over 7million and is 60point player. like the droiun trade 2.0

McCarron/Alsner and a second or McCarron/Shaw and a second, if we are taking on salary, they need to take some back in Alzner or Shaw

20 minutes ago, caperns61 said:

that is too much for a player who has already given up on two teams, has a cap hit over 7million and is 60point player. like the droiun trade 2.0

McCarron/Alsner and a second or McCarron/Shaw and a second, if we are taking on salary, they need to take some back in Alzner or Shaw

Honestly they wouldnt take that. how is it too much....its a 2nd year prospect who had one decent year and one bad one, a guy we got off waivers (who admittedly has had 2 20 goal seasons) big mac is worth literally nothing and a 2nd.

so a middling prospect, a nothing prospect, a 3rd liner and a 2nd for a legit 2c....if bergy pulled that off id start getting back on the bandwagon.

forget mccarron as having any value at all , alzner has negative value. shaw and a 2nd...maybe..... if shaw heals up. depends how much buffalo values dumb intangibles like we do

3 hours ago, jeff33 said:

Honestly they wouldnt take that. how is it too much....its a 2nd year prospect who had one decent year and one bad one, a guy we got off waivers (who admittedly has had 2 20 goal seasons) big mac is worth literally nothing and a 2nd.

so a middling prospect, a nothing prospect, a 3rd liner and a 2nd for a legit 2c....if bergy pulled that off id start getting back on the bandwagon.

forget mccarron as having any value at all , alzner has negative value. shaw and a 2nd...maybe..... if shaw heals up. depends how much buffalo values dumb intangibles like we dopaid aging 

So you want to spend 7.5 million for a second line center. Who has already given up on both teams he has played for.Turns 28 next season with a cap hit of 7.5 million. That is one of the reasons we are in this mess. So why would you add a play like this.

Lekonen is only  22.  18  goal rookie season. Down year like everyone else. BUt finished with 7 goals in his last 15 games. I see him as being a really good two way player scoing 20 plus goals a season

So what Byron was a waiver player. He was our second best goal scorer the last two seasons..

IF they are going after Reinhart then yes you can start moving players like Byron/Lekonen/and one of our second

When your team is trending down you don't start trading youth for aging players just to fill holes. That will only prolong the process ask the leafs they did it for years. 

1 hour ago, caperns61 said:

So you want to spend 7.5 million for a second line center. Who has already given up on both teams he has played for.Turns 28 next season with a cap hit of 7.5 million. That is one of the reasons we are in this mess. So why would you add a play like this.

Lekonen is only  22.  18  goal rookie season. Down year like everyone else. BUt finished with 7 goals in his last 15 games. I see him as being a really good two way player scoing 20 plus goals a season

So what Byron was a waiver player. He was our second best goal scorer the last two seasons..

IF they are going after Reinhart then yes you can start moving players like Byron/Lekonen/and one of our second

When your team is trending down you don't start trading youth for aging players just to fill holes. That will only prolong the process ask the leafs they did it for years. 

Do I want to? No, I want them to trade patch for nuge and sign tavares or stastny. 

would I do that trade? on paper sure but then again Id be trying to trade weber and or price for a really good return, not messing around trying to get ryan o reilly

13 hours ago, caperns61 said:

That "2nd line centre" led the league in face-offs.  The guy right behind him was Antoine Vermette.  Vermette has been the 2nd best guy 2 years in a row to the top face man of: Duchene, 2017 and ROR 2018.  I think given their defensive woes, you could probably snag ROR for Weber in a bad contract for bad contract swap.  Petry could get you by on the top pairing, unless you're actually drafting Rasmus Dahlin, then you may want to keep Weber around as a metor to Dahlin.

Rumours have linked Quebec coach Dominique Ducharme as a potential candidate for the head coach position in Laval, Ducharme is however in the playoffs with the Drummondville Voltigeurs of the QMJHL.

"Buffalo Sabres forward Ryan O'Reilly recently stated that constantly losing with the Sabres had him lose his passion for the game throughout the season."

OK, now, Why would he want to come here? 

O'Reilly is an interesting player... but his addition to our team won't push us back into contention for a playoff spot. Especially if we plan on sacrificing a roster player (Byron, Lehkonen, etc.) to acquire him. I'd make inquiries. However, I'm unsure what O'Reilly's real value is. 50-60 points, good face-off man...

7 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

O'Reilly is an interesting player... but his addition to our team won't push us back into contention for a playoff spot. Especially if we plan on sacrificing a roster player (Byron, Lehkonen, etc.) to acquire him. I'd make inquiries. However, I'm unsure what O'Reilly's real value is. 50-60 points, good face-off man...

Bang on. IF we had a #1C and a #1LHD on this roster and we could add ROR without losing any other key player then Im interested. However, he's not a solution on his own and it will cost (likely young players is what Buff would want) more than we should be willing to give up at this stage. 

22 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Bang on. IF we had a #1C and a #1LHD on this roster and we could add ROR without losing any other key player then Im interested. However, he's not a solution on his own and it will cost (likely young players is what Buff would want) more than we should be willing to give up at this stage. 

How about Terry, McCarron and/or Sherbak? Would you do it?

Although I think they may be interested in a D-man

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

How about 2 of our 2nds? 

1 hour ago, Habs_Hockey_Nutz said:

Terry and McCarron, yes.  Sherbak I wouldnt give up on right now. I think he's going to have a break-out year next year depending upon his linemates. 

15 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

How about 2 of our 2nds? 

Ideally not this year but maybe.   BUT, that would mean we'd need to first objectively recognize our holes and actively fill them.

If you signed Tavares and either won the lottery and drafted Dahlin, or traded one of our top 3 LW for a #1LHD suddenly our needs are far less great.   Adding ROR at that point makes a lot of sense.   Tavares - ROR - Danault - DLR  is a heck of a centre lineup.  We're already strong on wing.  

But along with the objective evaluation of our roster you'd have to deal with our blue line.   New guy - Weber,  Mete - Petry,  Reilly - Juulsen  is a heck of a lot better than any combination we had last year that included Alzner and Schlemko.   I think there's possibly place for Benn and Valiev. But we must stop overevaluating guys like 22 and 21.  They were actively hurting us last year and making our defense way worse than it actually was.   Adding Dahlin or trading PacMan for a puck moving left handed dman is all good and fine but they can only be on the ice 25 + minutes a night.    Schlemko and Alzer* need to go.  (*there was a short while last year where alzner looked ok. maybe you can play him on your 3rd pairing but thats a heck of a lot of money to bury). 

Im assuming Price will bounce back. I think you have to.  If he doesnt, we're in a world of trouble no matter what we do. 

3 hours ago, Habs_Hockey_Nutz said:

The question is, would they?

Terry and McCarron don't have much value in a trade, IMO. Maybe just as a throw-in. Scherbak a little more. But would Buffalo want them? I have a feeling they would ask for a roster player. We don't really have any top-quality prospects we can offer them.

• H_T_L locked this topic