The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2017-18 The Rumors Thread

BigTed3

I think we're now up to something like 5-6 wives of other hockey players who have sided with the Karlsson's and said that Hoffman's girlfriend is crazy and threatening. Obviously nothing proven yet, but the evidence seems to be pointing in favor of the Karlsson's.

Interesting word out of Colorado today that they're actually preparing for the possibility of getting the #4 pick from Ottawa at this year's draft. The more stuff that goes wrong (and I think one of the insiders who said today that the stuff that's come out is just the tip of the iceberg and that there's more trouble in Ottawa that hasn't been made public yet), the more people think Ottawa will be just awful next year. At this point, Hoffman probably has to be traded and the return likely will be next to nothing. Karlsson almost certainly won't re-sign there, and he's going to need to be dealt too, but people think his trade value is also lowered by this out-of-the-rink business until it's resolved who's lying. And people think Mark Stone may also refuse to sign long-term when he becomes an RFA. To boot, next year's draft is loaded, the biggest prize being Jack Hughes.

End result... the Avs seem to think the Sens know they'll be at the top of the lottery odds and probably don't want to give up any chance of landing Hughes. So Colorado is preparing for the possibility they're going to be picking 4th.

11 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

I think we're now up to something like 5-6 wives of other hockey players who have sided with the Karlsson's and said that Hoffman's girlfriend is crazy and threatening. Obviously nothing proven yet, but the evidence seems to be pointing in favor of the Karlsson's.

Interesting word out of Colorado today that they're actually preparing for the possibility of getting the #4 pick from Ottawa at this year's draft. The more stuff that goes wrong (and I think one of the insiders who said today that the stuff that's come out is just the tip of the iceberg and that there's more trouble in Ottawa that hasn't been made public yet), the more people think Ottawa will be just awful next year. At this point, Hoffman probably has to be traded and the return likely will be next to nothing. Karlsson almost certainly won't re-sign there, and he's going to need to be dealt too, but people think his trade value is also lowered by this out-of-the-rink business until it's resolved who's lying. And people think Mark Stone may also refuse to sign long-term when he becomes an RFA. To boot, next year's draft is loaded, the biggest prize being Jack Hughes.

End result... the Avs seem to think the Sens know they'll be at the top of the lottery odds and probably don't want to give up any chance of landing Hughes. So Colorado is preparing for the possibility they're going to be picking 4th.

Would you take Hoffman in a trade?

6 hours ago, Habs_Hockey_Nutz said:

Would you take Hoffman in a trade?

Short answer is yes. If the price was lowered enough by the shenanigans and Ottawa was desperate to sell (they clearly can't keep him in the same locker room as Karlsson and a lot of teams will be scared off). If we could get him for something like a 3rd or 4th round pick, I'd do it. He's signed for a reasonable cap hit for two more years, so worst case scenario is if he causes trouble, you suspend him and you're done with him in two years. Otherwise, you let the guy play and try to keep his girlfriend away from the other wives/players as much as possible. This issue was going on all season apparently and while Ottawa struggled, Hoffman was still a good player on the ice. I'd take my chances if it were a low-risk trade.

4 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Short answer is yes. If the price was lowered enough by the shenanigans and Ottawa was desperate to sell (they clearly can't keep him in the same locker room as Karlsson and a lot of teams will be scared off). If we could get him for something like a 3rd or 4th round pick, I'd do it. He's signed for a reasonable cap hit for two more years, so worst case scenario is if he causes trouble, you suspend him and you're done with him in two years. Otherwise, you let the guy play and try to keep his girlfriend away from the other wives/players as much as possible. This issue was going on all season apparently and while Ottawa struggled, Hoffman was still a good player on the ice. I'd take my chances if it were a low-risk trade.

Yeah agreed. if the cost was super low id bite and I think there's zero chance he starts in Ottawa in october. So the sens will probably be giving him away.   I dont see MB making the move though, regardless of the price. 

12 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

MB wont do it . He traded Pateryn after his GF / wife opened her mouth

Agreed, i dont see him doing it.   Not just Pateryn, but DSP's off ice stuff, Kassian, even Galchenyuk.  MB wants everyone to be Shea Weber or Tomas Plekanec... who will probably sign here july 1st fwiw. 

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

Agreed, i dont see him doing it.   Not just Pateryn, but DSP's off ice stuff, Kassian, even Galchenyuk.  MB wants everyone to be Shea Weber or Tomas Plekanec... who will probably sign here july 1st fwiw. 

Well that gives us two centers in Pleks and Danault at least :P

Sigh, next season is going to be another tire fire

Hoffman and his girlfriend issued a statement saying they are trying to get to the bottom of this, and Hoffman says he only found out about this in March. Except that Alex Burrows and Jean-Gabriel Pageau made statements saying a number of the players knew about the situation for "many months" and that this caused "tension in the locker room all season." So based on the tweets from other players' wives and the interviews from other players, it really makes it sound like Hoffman and group are lying.

1 minute ago, BigTed3 said:

Hoffman and his girlfriend issued a statement saying they are trying to get to the bottom of this, and Hoffman says he only found out about this in March. Except that Alex Burrows and Jean-Gabriel Pageau made statements saying a number of the players knew about the situation for "many months" and that this caused "tension in the locker room all season." So based on the tweets from other players' wives and the interviews from other players, it really makes it sound like Hoffman and group are lying.

Maybe he's got micro-amnesia.

On 6/12/2018 at 0:14 PM, maas_art said:

Im not so sure about that.  If he's an upgrade on any of those 3 its very very minor.  I wouldnt even take him for a 1 year deal (unless we were jettisoning all 3 of them) but certainly not for term, like he is apparently looking for. 

*GRAPH*

I love how passive-aggressive the people who make these kinds of tools/sites are. The default HERO chart compares Subban and Weber, SKATR now is Pastrnak and Nylander, and I think it used to be Kris Russel and Jason Demers or something lol.

Larry Brooks of the NY Post is reporting that Rangers forward Kevin Hayes is getting some trade interest and could be one of those centers who finds a new home before the NHL Entry Draft. Because the Rangers want to move up from their No. 9 spot in the draft, it could take Hayes to do it. Brooks says the team has talked to the Hurricanes about the No. 2 pick, but Hayes with the No. 9 selection won’t be enough.

https://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-rumors-june-18-2018/

Would you consider flipping Max Domi + The Habs 3rd overall... for Kevin Hayes with the Rangers' No. 9 selection

OR Trading

Max Pacioretty + The Habs 3rd overall... for Kevin Hayes with the Rangers' No. 9 selection + a high end prospect

27 minutes ago, Habs_Hockey_Nutz said:

Larry Brooks of the NY Post is reporting that Rangers forward Kevin Hayes is getting some trade interest and could be one of those centers who finds a new home before the NHL Entry Draft. Because the Rangers want to move up from their No. 9 spot in the draft, it could take Hayes to do it. Brooks says the team has talked to the Hurricanes about the No. 2 pick, but Hayes with the No. 9 selection won’t be enough.

Would you consider flipping Max Domi + The Habs 3rd overall... for Kevin Hayes with the Rangers' No. 9 selection

OR Trading

Max Pacioretty + The Habs 3rd overall... for Kevin Hayes with the Rangers' No. 9 selection + a high end prospect

I wouldnt.  I dont think your suggestion is bad (and we certainly need centres) but i dont think its the right fit for us.  

I get the sense we have a good chance at a legitimate elite player with our pick.  Zadina could well be an elite scorer or, if Timmins wants to go off the board, a guy like Kotkaniemi or Hughes could also be very high end.  I think you can make an argument for trading down to say 5-7th but i think once you get to 9th that chance is gone.  I think there will still be some very good players - maybe possible 1st liners - left, but your chances are lower for sure. 

Hayes is an interesting player but to me he's still a 2nd line centre at best.  He's a 40-50 point two way centre.  A bit like a bigger Lars Eller but with more offense.  Nothing to sneeze at in the least, but not worth giving up a top pick in this draft for.  I may not even give up Domi 1 for 1 because of the age difference, although I do believe he fits our needs more, but im hopeful MB will address those needs in other moves (i know, im probably dreaming).

Just my 2¢ though, I think an arguement can be made for the flip side (and i think a guy like Hayes would absolutely thrive under Julien)

58 minutes ago, Habs_Hockey_Nutz said:

OR Trading

No and no. Agreed with jedi that Hayes isn't a #1C and I'm not giving up the #3 overall for him. I'd want multiple 1st rounders from the NYR to make that trade.

• H_T_L locked this topic