The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2017-18 The Rumors Thread

BigTed3

3 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Francois Gagnon says Habs currently mulling over offers to trade down from Ari, Det, and Chi... so lots of options for Habs here. I worry about Det and Chi plucking Kotkaniemi. At 5, you still have at least two of Zadina, Tkachuk, Kotkaniemi, and Hughes there. Safer place to land if Ari offers a decent asset.

Yeah, Chicago would be a worry at 8th. Vancouver (7th) may well want the same thing us as us too. Knowing how Timmins operates, I suspect if they are considering dropping down to 5,6 or 8 they have 3 or 4 players they are ok with.  

Id feel a lot safer with 3 - 5.   But i guess it also depends on what the asset is we're getting back. 

Nick Kypreos just suggested a fair trade would be Pacioretty to the Isles for picks 11 and 12. Would be a good move for both teams.. for the Isles, IF they can get assurance from MP he'll re-sign there (and he might being from that area) and if it helps them re-sign Tavares (which could be a big trigger point for them), then it's a big deal for them. And for the Habs, three picks in the top 11 would be huge... I think in that case, you take Zadina, you take on of Hayton/Veleno/Kupari and you grab a Boqvist or Smith or someone who falls a bit to you.

14 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Nick Kypreos just suggested a fair trade would be Pacioretty to the Isles for picks 11 and 12. Would be a good move for both teams.. for the Isles, IF they can get assurance from MP he'll re-sign there (and he might being from that area) and if it helps them re-sign Tavares (which could be a big trigger point for them), then it's a big deal for them. And for the Habs, three picks in the top 11 would be huge... I think in that case, you take Zadina, you take on of Hayton/Veleno/Kupari and you grab a Boqvist or Smith or someone who falls a bit to you.

Id make that move.  And I agree - it makes sense for NY. This could be the final piece that lands Tavares, which is a massive win for NY.  I dont know about their cap though. Can they manage it? 

25 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Yeah, Chicago would be a worry at 8th. Vancouver (7th) may well want the same thing us as us too. Knowing how Timmins operates, I suspect if they are considering dropping down to 5,6 or 8 they have 3 or 4 players they are ok with.  

Id feel a lot safer with 3 - 5.   But i guess it also depends on what the asset is we're getting back. 

If the Habs don't walk away from the draft with Zadina or Kotkaniemi, it will be an utter failure in my opinion. Trading back too far... Oi, not a huge fan of that.

7 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

If the Habs don't walk away from the draft with Zadina or Kotkaniemi, it will be an utter failure in my opinion. Trading back too far... Oi, not a huge fan of that.

Id be ok with Hughes too.  One of those 3.    

Unless Timmins has a guy we're not even looking at that he is certain is going to be the steal of the draft.  Price was way off the board when we picked him but Timmins said despite our depth in goal, they knew he was going to be a generational talent and it was worth taking the risk on. 

If you can trade Pacioretty for #10 and 11 then possibly you take Zadina/Kot/Hughes and still get that steal pick at #10. 

1 minute ago, maas_art said:

Id be ok with Hughes too.  One of those 3.    

Unless Timmins has a guy we're not even looking at that he is certain is going to be the steal of the draft.  Price was way off the board when we picked him but Timmins said despite our depth in goal, they knew he was going to be a generational talent and it was worth taking the risk on. 

He's been speaking a lot about positional need and taking the player that he feels will be a key part of the team moving forward. I think that guy is Kotkaniemi. When asked if he'd trade down he replied that the risk you run is that the player you gave up assets to draft isn't there. He mentioned they were prepared in any event and had several players that they were high on given their availability and our interest. The only example he listed was if Carolina were to make an unforeseen move at #2. So I think he stays at 3. We either draft Kotkaniemi or there's a minute chance we get Svechnikov. 

Or it's Zadina, or Veleno, or Hughes.. I don't know, I'm just a guy.

Pat Brisson, agent for John Tavares, has told the Isles that Tavares will interview with 5 other teams when the discussion period opens tomorrow. Does not mean he is leaving the Isles, but he is willing to see what other teams will offer. Maybe just a negotiating tool, but there it is. Bergevin will get a chance to call in an offer, even if he's not on the the meeting list. He can call Brisson and say 7 years at 14M or whatever he wants. So not getting Tavares is going to come down to his not wanting to come here and not due to a lack of opportunity.

As far as the 5 teams, Larry Brooks says the Rangers aren't one of them. Kings' reporters say that with Kovalchuk signing, LA is out on Pacioretty and Tavares. Dave Pagnotta says Rangers and Blues are both out. You'd have to guess San Jose and Las Vegas are two of them, with the cap space they've cleared. Toronto is probably of interest. Chicago rumored to be interested. But I wonder if Montreal might be in there too.

Arthur Staple of The Athletic, who follows the Isles, as well as Elliotte Friedman say they believe the 5 teams for JT will be SJ, Dal, and Tor as 3 for sure and then Las Vegas as a near lock and possibly Tampa as the 5th. All teams with better odds than us of a Cup. Again, doesn't rule out a call from Bergevin to Tavares group, but doesn't sound like he's looking just for money and it does look like Bergevin wrecking the Habs for the past few years has turned him off coming here.

2 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Arthur Staple of The Athletic, who follows the Isles, as well as Elliotte Friedman say they believe the 5 teams for JT will be SJ, Dal, and Tor as 3 for sure and then Las Vegas as a near lock and possibly Tampa as the 5th. All teams with better odds than us of a Cup. Again, doesn't rule out a call from Bergevin to Tavares group, but doesn't sound like he's looking just for money and it does look like Bergevin wrecking the Habs for the past few years has turned him off coming here.

No kidding

3 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

David Amber says repeated conversations between Mtl and SJ... send them Max and if you do, send them Schlemko at the same time!

Considering how he played there, i could totally see them being interested in taking back Schlemko

Yeah I'm not really on the Pacioretty needs to go train but they need to make a decision. Going into the season with this looming over his head isn't great and I wonder if an extension is even possible at this point without even considering if it's wise. Just a weird situation and I feel like they've got to get something done this summer. 

I just hope for his sake he gets moved and signs somewhere long term and scores 35 a year with a proper center for the next 8 years. And that we don't get fleeced on the return. 

According to Adrian Dater of BSN Denver, just as he reported earlier in the year, the Canadiens are at the top of Stastny's preferred destinations. 

Dater states that Montreal is higher on the list than Winnipeg at the moment, with the Colorado Avalanche also pretty high on there. 

While Stastny is getting up there in age at 32 years old, when healthy he can still produce, he put up 53 points last year split between St. Louis and Winnipeg and put up 15 points in 17 playoff games for the Jets which included three game winning goals. 

Most importantly, Stastny can get it done in the face off circle, he has a career 53% win percentage and has hovered around the 55% mark the last couple of seasons. 

On 6/23/2018 at 2:11 PM, BigTed3 said:

Bergevin will quietly make a miserly offer. Tavares will turn it down and Bergevin will say he made an offer but it's hard to get a #1 center.

• H_T_L locked this topic