The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2017-18 The Rumors Thread

BigTed3

7 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

if we could get Duchene AND a top pairing left-handed D man, I'd think about it.

Thats kind of where im at with any of our core players right now: If we can land a top 2 centre and a top LD then id move them. if its one for one (Chuck for a centre, or Patches for a dman) then i would pass... .unless of course the guy coming back is someone like Tavares who i think you trade anyone on the roster to acquire to be honest. 

Eklund, so... take it with a grain of salt:  

According to Ek, we are trying hard to get Sanheim from Philly   It is unclear if we want a forward with him too altough one would assume we'd have to be getting a roster forward to go along with him..  Apparently we've offered Galchenyuk but they want Pacioretty instead.  

I would hate to lose either guy, but if we were to bring back a top 6 forward and a defensive prospect who could basically replace Sergachev, id certainly consider it.  The problem is that Philly would probably want to give up a guy like Giroux who is clearly in the decline. That said, our window is closing and i think CG would have a few more top end years left in him. 

So, if you're MB do you do:

Galchenyuk + ____ (depth defensman)

for

Giroux + Sanheim  

What if its Pacioretty instead of Galchenyuk ?

Pacioretty/Galchenyuk - Giroux - Gallagher
Lehkonen - Drouin - Hemsky (or sign Jagr)

not a bad looking top 6. 

3 hours ago, jeff33 said:

hockeyfeed has us linked to will butcher (awesome if thats true)

He's definitely an intriguing option.   I assume MB would have to offer a lot of bonuses (the contract is EL so its capped, but competition for him will be fierce so expect signing and performance bonuses). 

I suspect if we want him we have a very intriguing option as there is a legitimate chance for him to suit up next to Weber which would be pretty exciting for a young dman. 

Coyle is a great player but not sure where he would fit into our plans.  He's offensively great, can play wing, but maybe not defensively responsible enough to play centre... sounds a bit like Galchenyuk and Drouin :P lol.    

I wouldnt be opposed to getting him but the price would have to be right.   I could see MB trying to land Coyle + ____ dman  for Galchenyuk.  I guess if the dman was a mobile LD and could step into our top 4, i could live with it.   I wouldnt trade coyle for chuck straight up. 

Re Will Butcher, from the Denver Post:

"Will Butcher, the Hobey Baker Award-winning defenseman from the University of Denver, will begin speaking with at least three NHL teams Wednesday when he intends to become an unrestricted free agent, according to a source.

The New Jersey Devils, Buffalo Sabres and expansion Vegas Golden Knights have interest in Butcher, 22, who captained DU to the NCAA championship in April.

The Avalanche, which selected Butcher in the fifth round of the 2013 NHL draft, has exclusive negotiation rights with the player through 10 p.m."

Methinks we're on the outside looking in. 

3 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

Re Will Butcher, from the Denver Post:

"Will Butcher, the Hobey Baker Award-winning defenseman from the University of Denver, will begin speaking with at least three NHL teams Wednesday when he intends to become an unrestricted free agent, according to a source.

The New Jersey Devils, Buffalo Sabres and expansion Vegas Golden Knights have interest in Butcher, 22, who captained DU to the NCAA championship in April.

The Avalanche, which selected Butcher in the fifth round of the 2013 NHL draft, has exclusive negotiation rights with the player through 10 p.m."

Methinks we're on the outside looking in. 

Ultimately its up to WB  but it would be foolish for MB to not at least enquire.  On paper, he's a better fit next to Weber than anyone else on our roster TBH.

Jimmy Murphy (who is only a smidge more reliable than Eklund) said we were a "wildcard" but then ammended that saying an "NHL exec" says we're way more than a wildcard.  So who knows.  There's definitely a fit and a place for him on the roster.  It really comes down to what MB would be willing to offer and how enticing it would be to play on our roster. 

Gotta love Eklund, he sure is busy. Here's his latest:

"Eklund said the Montreal Canadiens had made a very aggressive offer to take on forward Anthony Duclair of the Arizona Coyotes.

Duclair is an extremely talented winger who was supposed to have a promising future in the NHL, but he has never able to reach his full potential in Arizona due to an attitude that some say is hurting his career.

The 21-year-old had only 15 points in 58 games last season and change of scenary could be extremely beneficial to the player who no longer seems to be in the future plans of the Coyotes management.

Eklund added that the Ottawa Senators were also attempting to land the young forward, but the Habs' offer was much better.

The price to pay for his acquisition should not be too high and Marc Bergevin has already had several discussions with his counterpart John Chayka since last season."

15 hours ago, Windoe said:

I'm suspicious that Bergevin is working on getting Kopitar, but I'm not sure who he's thinking of giving up.  

How'd y'all feel about Kopitar (29yo, 7 years at 10.000) for Weber (31yo, 9 years at 7.857)?

Our D is bad. If we lose Weber we'll need to hire Donald Trump to build a wall around Price.

1 hour ago, tony5775 said:

Matt Duchene is not at the pre camp. This is the only guy that makes sense for saving the 8 million on the salary cap.

I have no problem adding Duchene, assuming we dont lose a guy like Galchenyuk to get him.   I think its moot though, sounds like Sakic is adamant they get a top 4 dman as part of the trade & since (i surely hope) we're not trading Weber or Petry for him, I think that puts us out of the running.  Cant see Sakic interested in any of our other guys, even a useful player like Benn or Schlemko. 

1 minute ago, maas_art said:

I have no problem adding Duchene, assuming we dont lose a guy like Galchenyuk to get him.   I think its moot though, sounds like Sakic is adamant they get a top 4 dman as part of the trade & since (i surely hope) we're not trading Weber or Petry for him, I think that puts us out of the running.  Cant see Sakic interested in any of our other guys, even a useful player like Benn or Schlemko. 

Well if Duchene stops cooperating then its not about when Sakic will accept but about what other teams are offering. We probably still can't pull it off though

Frankly, I think Duchene and Landeskog have every reason to want out and sit out until it happens

20 hours ago, habsisme said:

Well if Duchene stops cooperating then its not about when Sakic will accept but about what other teams are offering. We probably still can't pull it off though

Frankly, I think Duchene and Landeskog have every reason to want out and sit out until it happens

For sure.

According to Darren Dreger, the avs are still not budging on the top 4 LD aspect but, just like at trade deadline last year, there seems to be no team that wants Duchene, who is willing to part with that type of player.   So at a certain point it becomes: will the avalanche just let him sit, or will they say "ok, we'll move him for something else."  Right now it seems like Sakic is not budging.   The thought is that they got burned on the ROR deal (which they felt they were too quick to move on) so now they want to be patient, but i think the ask is just too high.

I do think Julien would absolutely love having a guy like him in our lineup and i think under CJ he could take a bigger step forward as an elite two way forward but I do NOT think we should overpay for him. If we were to say, lose AG to get him, Id be very upset.    According to Dreger we may not be as interested in Duchene as a lot of media makes us out to be. 

40 minutes ago, maas_art said:

For sure.

According to Darren Dreger, the avs are still not budging on the top 4 LD aspect but, just like at trade deadline last year, there seems to be no team that wants Duchene, who is willing to part with that type of player.   So at a certain point it becomes: will the avalanche just let him sit, or will they say "ok, we'll move him for something else."  Right now it seems like Sakic is not budging.   The thought is that they got burned on the ROR deal (which they felt they were too quick to move on) so now they want to be patient, but i think the ask is just too high.

I do think Julien would absolutely love having a guy like him in our lineup and i think under CJ he could take a bigger step forward as an elite two way forward but I do NOT think we should overpay for him. If we were to say, lose AG to get him, Id be very upset.    According to Dreger we may not be as interested in Duchene as a lot of media makes us out to be. 

yeah its so unfortunate that we don't seem to have what they want because we actually have the cap space, and adding him without subtracting a forward would be phenomenal. change the entire complexion of the team. what do we have to give though?

how about a montainous defenceman who makes the best 4 foot pass you ever saw?

1 hour ago, jeff33 said:

As much as Id like to get out of Weber's contract, unless we're getting a top 4 dman in return i think we'd be in a world of trouble to lose him.  

If i were MB id be talking Weber up to Edmonton or a similar team.   Try to land a guy like RNH + a young dman like Klefbom/Nurse.  Then you solve your centre problem and you still have a legitimate body in the top 4.  Wont happen though, especially now that Weber beat that horse & all. :P

2 hours ago, jeff33 said:

yeah its so unfortunate that we don't seem to have what they want because we actually have the cap space, and adding him without subtracting a forward would be phenomenal. change the entire complexion of the team. what do we have to give though?

Price for Duchene straight up is what I'd offer.

4 hours ago, xxdocxx said:

This is the silliest offer I've heard all summer.

I knew I'd get that reaction from some.

We all have our opinions and we want our team to win. However silly it does sounds to you, in order to win the Cup, I'd rather be stronger up front with numbers than rely so heavily on one goal-tender; we have Lindgren, a decent backup and a couple of prospects goal-tending wise, however we lack the strength offensively in order to make a deep impact playoff run, let alone bring the Cup back IMO.

17 hours ago, maas_art said:

As much as Id like to get out of Weber's contract, unless we're getting a top 4 dman in return i think we'd be in a world of trouble to lose him.  

If i were MB id be talking Weber up to Edmonton or a similar team.   Try to land a guy like RNH + a young dman like Klefbom/Nurse.  Then you solve your centre problem and you still have a legitimate body in the top 4.  Wont happen though, especially now that Weber beat that horse & all. :P

I dont. I personally don't see what he does that's so special. His 17 goals would be missed for sure, but as far as this defensive hole....I don't see what he does thats so much better than what jordie benn does. That being said I like your idea a lot better, I'd do that too. 

17 hours ago, Habs=stanleycup said:

Price for Duchene straight up is what I'd offer.

I would happily trade Price for a star foward, but not Duchene straight up. For Tavares or someone of that level, I'm down. Duchene doesn't score enough to carry a team. 

6 hours ago, Habs=stanleycup said:

I knew I'd get that reaction from some.

We all have our opinions and we want our team to win. However silly it does sounds to you, in order to win the Cup, I'd rather be stronger up front with numbers than rely so heavily on one goal-tender; we have Lindgren, a decent backup and a couple of prospects goal-tending wise, however we lack the strength offensively in order to make a deep impact playoff run, let alone bring the Cup back IMO.

im on the fence as to whether i think we should trade Price to address our other holes.  I know it seems crazy but I actually think CJ has a plan & we may be very surprised with what he can get out of this team. He got a lot more out of some much worse Boston rosters and I expect he's working out a plan based around Price.  

That said, if I was going to trade Price (it wont happen any time soon with the new extension) I would be asking for a LOT more than just duchene.   The mystique surrounding price means you most likely could get multiple pieces for him.  A top line centre and a top 4 dman + prospects/picks.  There's a GM out there that would give us a very strong offer, mmw. 

3 hours ago, jeff33 said:

I would happily trade Price for a star foward, but not Duchene straight up. For Tavares or someone of that level, I'm down. Duchene doesn't score enough to carry a team. 

Agreed.  Price for Tavares would probably be pretty close to the return you could get. If its a second tier centre like Duchene, Id want at very least a #1LD coming back too. 

22 minutes ago, habs1952 said:

I like it. I wouldn't have to watch any games this year. It would guarantee first pick overall next year right now. 

We'd still have to win the lottery though, which we'd probably screw up too ;)

I generally don't mind the idea of trading Price, but I'm not willing to move the most valuable goaltender in hockey for a guy like Matt Duchene. Colorado would have to add substantially to make this work, Duchene is good but in terms of value it's not even close IMO.

• H_T_L locked this topic