The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2017-18 The Rumors Thread

BigTed3

Michael Russo of The Athletic Minnesota reporting that the Wild are shopping Jason Zucker, Nino Niederreiter, and/or Charlie Coyle. They want some cap relief, and Russo says the team desperately wants to attach Tyler Ennis (who has one year left at 4.6M before he becomes a UFA) to the trade. This seems like the perfect opportunity for Bergevin. The three guys available are all relatively young, and the UFA attached has no term. So you take Ennis' cap for one season and it earns you a valuable asset. The Wild want someone cheaper so they can go after free agents, so could we swing something like

Scherbak and a 3rd rounder for Ennis, a 4th rounder, and one of those three guys

Coyle's a center, but the least prolific scorer. The other two don't fill a positional need but help with goal-scoring and maybe permit you to trade another player for help in the middle.

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

Michael Russo of The Athletic Minnesota reporting that the Wild are shopping Jason Zucker, Nino Niederreiter, and/or Charlie Coyle. They want some cap relief, and Russo says the team desperately wants to attach Tyler Ennis (who has one year left at 4.6M before he becomes a UFA) to the trade. This seems like the perfect opportunity for Bergevin. The three guys available are all relatively young, and the UFA attached has no term. So you take Ennis' cap for one season and it earns you a valuable asset. The Wild want someone cheaper so they can go after free agents, so could we swing something like

Scherbak and a 3rd rounder for Ennis, a 4th rounder, and one of those three guys

Coyle's a center, but the least prolific scorer. The other two don't fill a positional need but help with goal-scoring and maybe permit you to trade another player for help in the middle.

#TooMuchLogic  #NotEnoughCharacter

49 minutes ago, maas_art said:

im pretty sure we'll do something stupid.   Don't know if it will be that, but something.  Expect the expected. 

I think John Moore and/or Jack Johnson are going to be the targets. Stastny too but I think he'll just use the Habs to drive up the price like normal and end up with one of the contending teams that misses out on Tavares. After that, I think it'll be Bozak.

Just now, Noob616 said:

I think John Moore and/or Jack Johnson are going to be the targets. Stastny too but I think he'll just use the Habs to drive up the price like normal and end up with one of the contending teams that misses out on Tavares. 

I read somewhere today (TSN, perhaps) that Moore's stock is rising drastically because of the lack of quality defenders available. Sounds like a mistake waiting to happen, to me.

Honestly at this point i could care less. We are going to be bad next year. Like really bad.   

The only hope i have is that MB is smart enough - whomever he signs - to keep term short.  Offer them 1-2 year deals at more money, you've got the cap space. 

Until guys like Kotkaneimi and Poehling make the roster I just dont see how we're effectively filling those holes and its going to be a couple of years till they are ready. 

Bozak/Statsny/Nash/Johnson/Duclair/Plekanec - whatever - i dont really care as long as they are 1 or 2 year deals.  Heck, maybe we'll be so bad they will finally consider trading Weber and Price et al. 

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/canadiens-bergevin-came-close-hitting-marks-draft-weekend/

Super interesting article here.

In sum,we almost had a deal where we would have ended up with O Reilly after some draft picks exchanged hands, but it fell through because of Arizona going way off the board at number 5 and guys being available at positions they werent expected to be in. 

It also confirms that Max would have gone to LA if they could have worked out the extension.

25 minutes ago, jeff33 said:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/canadiens-bergevin-came-close-hitting-marks-draft-weekend/

Super interesting article here.

In sum,we almost had a deal where we would have ended up with O Reilly after some draft picks exchanged hands, but it fell through because of Arizona going way off the board at number 5 and guys being available at positions they werent expected to be in. 

It also confirms that Max would have gone to LA if they could have worked out the extension.

Interesting read indeed, essentially turning Pacioretty into O'Reilly and still drafting Kotkaniemi would have been a huge win in my opinion and I'd give MB full marks if true.

Sounds like there's hope though, maybe there's still a deal to be made.

1 minute ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Maybe they wanna offer him a short-term option, max salary, or something.

Yeah ive heard this scenario too but it seems like a huge risk for JT.   I mean he can bank 7 or 8 years or he can take a 1 year deal for a few million more.  What if he gets a career ending injury in that one year?  Seems very risky.

I still feel like he's going to resign with the isles.  I think they are talking to other teams just to be sure and/or to get the 'experience' but in the end, I think adding Lou may have just got their star to stay. 

4 hours ago, ChiLla said:

It's a valid concern, just like MB going after Jack Johnson.

I honestly do not see Johnson, who’s fresh off a bankruptcy claim, signing in a hockey market with the highest tax rate.  Of the potential UFA lefties on the back end, I’d much rather have De Haan or Hickey.  Derrick Pouliot is also coming off a 22 point season in Vancouver and is hitting the ufa market this year.

Just now, East_Coast_Juggalo_13 said:

I honestly do not see Johnson, who’s fresh off a bankruptcy claim, signing in a hockey market with the highest tax rate.  Of the potential UFA lefties on the back end, I’d much rather have De Haan or Hickey.  Derrick Pouliot is also coming off a 22 point season in Vancouver and is hitting the ufa market this year.

yes.  lets hope MB is in agreement. 

33 minutes ago, maas_art said:

I just cant see how the leafs end up with Tavares.  I mean this year would be fine but after that... talk about cap problems. I think they are kicking tires. 

If you can sign a player like that you do it and figure it out later. I think they'd be fine and the odds of him going to Toronto are better than we'd all like to believe :(

There's more than enough space to get Tavares at 12M and still retain their entire core. Firstly I know everyone hates bridge deals and it was dumb when they bridged Subban, but that's only because they bridged him and did nothing with it. The Subban bridge deal gave the Habs a 2 year window with one of the 4 best defensemen alive at 2.8M, and they did nothing with it. In contrast, Tampa bridged Kucherov for 4.7X3M, and are using that insane value contract to go all-in with McDonagh/Miller and will likely be making more moves.

I think they could get Marner or Nylander or both for a similar deal short term. That gives them an absolutely bonkers 3 year window to go all-in with elite forwards on all 3 lines of your top 9. After that who knows where the cap will be, and they'd also have the option of dealing one of Marner/Nylander for a younger and more cost controlled players like the Hamilton for Hanifin/Lindholm deal we just saw. It probably means they lose Marleau, Gardiner, Hainsey, Martin, and possibly one of their other depth guys (Leivo/Brown/Hyman), but I'd trade those guys for Tavares in a second and in essence that's what they'd be doing by signing him. 

It's a gamble because they're hurting depth and weakening an already weak position at D, but if I'm the Leafs I'm willing to gamble on adding Tavares to that forward core and hoping that between a smart signing or two plus Dermott/Liljegren/Sandin/Durzi/Bergman/Holl you can shore up the defense. If they can churn out a few cheap RFAs to play depth roles (and the Marlies seem to have a lot of AAAA players) then I think it's more than worth taking the gamble.

• H_T_L locked this topic