Jump to content
The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2017-18 The Rumors Thread


BigTed3
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, habs1952 said:

But you need to remember, according to a lot of people he'll never be considered a great player if he never wins a cup.

I wouldn't be surprised if we trade Price within 1-3 years.  We don't seem to hang onto goalies for their whole career.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Rumor is that several teams are still going hard after ROR.  

Timing is key though because on July 1 he gets a big ($7m-ish) signing bonus. So a lot of teams (St Louis is apparently a front runner) really want to wait till July 2.  

We can afford to take him prior to that & give him the signing bonus so that puts us in the drivers seat right now but the big problem is that most of what Buffalo would want, is - or should be at least - something we're not willing to part with.   They want a 1st a 2nd and a prospect.   


As the minutes get closer to July 1, is there a chance that price goes down so that they dont have to pay a signing bonus to a player who wont even be on their team?  Time will tell.   Should be interesting to watch in the next couple of days. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, maas_art said:

Rumor is that several teams are still going hard after ROR.  

Timing is key though because on July 1 he gets a big ($7m-ish) signing bonus. So a lot of teams (St Louis is apparently a front runner) really want to wait till July 2.  

We can afford to take him prior to that & give him the signing bonus so that puts us in the drivers seat right now but the big problem is that most of what Buffalo would want, is - or should be at least - something we're not willing to part with.   They want a 1st a 2nd and a prospect.   


As the minutes get closer to July 1, is there a chance that price goes down so that they dont have to pay a signing bonus to a player who wont even be on their team?  Time will tell.   Should be interesting to watch in the next couple of days. 

Steep price to pay but paying that 7.5 mill shouldn't be an issue for somebody like Molson who saved that and more last year when MB couldn't reach the Cap max.

https://www.tsn.ca/off-season-watch-the-latest-on-o-reilly-panarin-1.1125564

I think i'd be OK with that 1st and 2nd because I believe we'd be able to replace the 1st when we peddle Max. The sticking point could be the prospect. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Rumor is that several teams are still going hard after ROR.  

Timing is key though because on July 1 he gets a big ($7m-ish) signing bonus. So a lot of teams (St Louis is apparently a front runner) really want to wait till July 2.  

We can afford to take him prior to that & give him the signing bonus so that puts us in the drivers seat right now but the big problem is that most of what Buffalo would want, is - or should be at least - something we're not willing to part with.   They want a 1st a 2nd and a prospect.   


As the minutes get closer to July 1, is there a chance that price goes down so that they dont have to pay a signing bonus to a player who wont even be on their team?  Time will tell.   Should be interesting to watch in the next couple of days. 

Considering that, IMO, we won't even make the POs next year, Buffalo would get a top 16 draft pic, plus a 2nd. That would seriously inhibit our non-rebuild, rebuild. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, kinot-2 said:

Considering that, IMO, we won't even make the POs next year, Buffalo would get a top 16 draft pic, plus a 2nd. That would seriously inhibit our non-rebuild, rebuild. 

It's conceivable we'd miss the playoffs with the team as is. Fill in a couple of those glaring holes and that changes things IMO. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

Considering that, IMO, we won't even make the POs next year, Buffalo would get a top 16 draft pic, plus a 2nd. That would seriously inhibit our non-rebuild, rebuild. 

The smart move is to trade Pacioretty first, get that 1st round pick from another team (with other pieces) and flip that pick to Buffalo.  Like you said, trading ours is risky.  Chances are that a team that wants Patches is going to have a high 1st round pick. 

The other option is Pacioretty for ROR straight up.  Buffalo then works on trading Max.   Its fine for us, but not ideal for Buffalo but if they're really desperate come June 30, maybe they make that move. Buys them some time for negotiating. 

 

6 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

It's conceivable we'd miss the playoffs with the team as is. Fill in a couple of those glaring holes and that changes things IMO. 

I do actually think we'll make the playoffs this year.   I mean right now we're even worse than we were last year but I cannot fathom that MB will start the year with the roster we have. I have to believe there's some sort of plan... 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, maas_art said:

The smart move is to trade Pacioretty first, get that 1st round pick from another team (with other pieces) and flip that pick to Buffalo.  Like you said, trading ours is risky.  Chances are that a team that wants Patches is going to have a high 1st round pick. 

The other option is Pacioretty for ROR straight up.  Buffalo then works on trading Max.   Its fine for us, but not ideal for Buffalo but if they're really desperate come June 30, maybe they make that move. Buys them some time for negotiating. 

 

A straight swap would make sense assuming the Sabres are desperate not to pay that 7.5 bonus money. Maybe toss in a second or 3rd.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, maas_art said:

 

 

I do actually think we'll make the playoffs this year.   I mean right now we're even worse than we were last year but I cannot fathom that MB will start the year with the roster we have. I have to believe there's some sort of plan... 

Would that be the new revised 7 year plan??:frech1:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

Would that be the new revised 7 year plan??:frech1:

Haha.  I have no idea.

But Molson is a successful businessman. I just cant see him saying "ok Marc, you get another year... lalala." I am assuming Marc had to outline an actual plan and that it involves doing... something.... expect the unexpected after a day in his head!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

Depends who's at the helm. :P

 

This guy it seems

 

E.J. Smith

Sea Captain
E.J. Smith
Edward John Smith, RD was a British Merchant Navy officer. He served as master of numerous White Star Line vessels. He is best known as the captain of the RMS Titanic who perished when the ship sank on its maiden voyage.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Haha.  I have no idea.

But Molson is a successful businessman. I just cant see him saying "ok Marc, you get another year... lalala." I am assuming Marc had to outline an actual plan and that it involves doing... something.... expect the unexpected after a day in his head!!

My guess would be that he did present a plan. Unfortunately this guy seems to think his job is too hard and Molson has shown way too much patience for most fans

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A few sources saying that Edmonton has a deal in place for Lucic. 

A read something a week or 2 ago that Marc Bergevin was "no longer interested" in Lucic, even though he offered him a big contract back when he signed with Edmonton.

Im still curious if Lucic for Alzner (with other items possibly) would make sense.  Lucy was quite good under Julien after all.   I think it would help us more to get rid of Alzner than to acquire Lucy mind you. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

Habs have interest in Tobias Reider and Xavier Oulette

Meh.  More tinkering.

They're both fine but totally tertiary players. We have tones of those.  Do we need more 4th line LW?  Do we need more 3rd pairing dmen? 

Unless a LHD is better than Mete or Reilly, there's no point in getting them.  We're set for third pairing D.  We've got like 9 of them.  Up front, maybe we move someone and need another LW but i think we've got some wingers in the minors that would suffice. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've said this before, but I just don't get the hype about ROR. Good player. Good 2nd line center. But he only solves our problems in a world where we also have a 1C and a 1 LHD. Without those other harder-to-obtain pieces, getting an overpaid 2C who's entering his late 20's just isn't the primary need right now. If we were a Cup contender, then by all means, trade a 1st rounder for ROR. But short of that, what does this do for us? How does acquiring ROR and going from a 28th place team to a 23rd place team help s in any way? It doesn't. We're not that close, our core is past-prime, and we need to stop trying to go for a quick fix.

I'll remind everyone that the Sabres gave up a 2nd rounder and some prospects that most people thought were already flops (Grigorenko and Compher) to get ROR, in addition to one good young defenceman. They didn't give up a 1st rounder, and they most certainly didn't give up a top 3 pick nor a future first rounder that was likely to be a high lottery pick and possibly Jack Hughes. Fast forward and ROR is 3 years older and on a bigger contract, and the Sabres want a 1st, a 2nd, and a top prospect? I'm laughing and laughing at how ridiculous that is. That would be like us having given up Subban for Weber and now telling the Kings we want to flip them Weber in exchange for Doughty and a 1st rounder. If you look at what Buffalo gave up to get ROR and said that we needed to give up something similar despite the fact he's 3 years older now, a comparable deal would be our giving them Juulsen, Scherbak, McCarron, and a 2nd rounder. Factor in the change in age and contract, and you can probably remove Scherbak to make the deal one that is comparable to the value Buffalo put into getting ROR. If Buffalo wants a 1st, I'd tell them to shove off, which is what it sounds like MB did. I hope he doesn't budge on this.

If MB can somehow acquire another 1st rounder for Pacoretty or someone else, he should be keeping it and using it to re-stock our prospect supply, not flipping it for an aging asset. That would be the worst thing he can do.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

^^^^^ If I'm not mistaken, doesn't ROR have a signing bonus that Buffalo has to pay him after July 1st. if he isn't signed by another team by then? 

Yes and from what I've read even though Buffalo wants to unload him, teams aren't biting until July 3rd :P

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you believe Tony Marinaro, here's what he says happened with Pacioretty, the draft, the kings and the sharks. I dont always believe him, but a lot of this (timeline-wise makes some sense) so i wouldnt be surprised it was close to the truth.

 

-  LA and Montreal had a deal in place before the draft.    Vilardi was NOT offered as part of the deal.  LA would only make the deal if Pacioretty signed there and they gave him a 'take it or leave it' contract offer.  he left it.

- LA then signed Kovalchuk.

- Kovalchuk's agent is JP Barry - who is Pat Brisson (Pacioretty's agent at the time) partner.  When Kovalchuk signed in LA, Pacioretty felt like his agency were favouring him over Patches so he promptly fired his agent & resigned with Alan Walsh. 

- Later that same day San Jose sent a trade proposal to MB but it was not as good as LA's so Montreal wasnt interested.  

- Back in December Bergevin decided the team needed "new leadership" but wouldnt take away Pacioretty's captaincy, instead choosing to trade him - but unable to find a suitable partner.

- Pacioretty wants to resign with the habs but management does not want him back unless he relinquishes his captaincy, which he will not do.

 

The problem we have now is that there are really 3 options:  1) resign Patches (dont think it will happen),  2) trade him without a contract (low value) or 3) trade him & allow the other team to set up a contract.  Unfortunately his demands seem to be high. 

So there's a chance he is ours come October and fingers crossed he'll regain his scoring touch and then will be sought after enough to trade high.  But if this happens, does MB strip his captaincy to start the year? 

What a mess. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, maas_art said:

Renaud Lavoie says that we have not enquired about Slava Voynov

Which makes sense if you believe MB's insistence on attitude and character. But then again, Drouin had character questions. Shaw had behavioral conduct issues. So who knows what MB deems to be important towards that assessment.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, maas_art said:

If you believe Tony Marinaro, here's what he says happened with Pacioretty, the draft, the kings and the sharks. I dont always believe him, but a lot of this (timeline-wise makes some sense) so i wouldnt be surprised it was close to the truth.

 

-  LA and Montreal had a deal in place before the draft.    Vilardi was NOT offered as part of the deal.  LA would only make the deal if Pacioretty signed there and they gave him a 'take it or leave it' contract offer.  he left it.

- LA then signed Kovalchuk.

- Kovalchuk's agent is JP Barry - who is Pat Brisson (Pacioretty's agent at the time) partner.  When Kovalchuk signed in LA, Pacioretty felt like his agency were favouring him over Patches so he promptly fired his agent & resigned with Alan Walsh. 

- Later that same day San Jose sent a trade proposal to MB but it was not as good as LA's so Montreal wasnt interested.  

- Back in December Bergevin decided the team needed "new leadership" but wouldnt take away Pacioretty's captaincy, instead choosing to trade him - but unable to find a suitable partner.

- Pacioretty wants to resign with the habs but management does not want him back unless he relinquishes his captaincy, which he will not do.

 

The problem we have now is that there are really 3 options:  1) resign Patches (dont think it will happen),  2) trade him without a contract (low value) or 3) trade him & allow the other team to set up a contract.  Unfortunately his demands seem to be high. 

So there's a chance he is ours come October and fingers crossed he'll regain his scoring touch and then will be sought after enough to trade high.  But if this happens, does MB strip his captaincy to start the year? 

What a mess. 

I am on record as saying I don't think Pacioretty was the right choice for captain, but I also don't agree with stripping it from him. If he's here, he remains captain. It just makes it really awkward to take it away and still ask him to be a leader on this team.

I do think we should be trying to trade him for younger players but as part of a larger rebuild not because I think he needs to go because of his on-ice performance. Barring a decent trade offer though, another option is to re-sign him but trade a player like Weber or Price instead and hope there is a bigger market and better return for one of those two.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

I am on record as saying I don't think Pacioretty was the right choice for captain, but I also don't agree with stripping it from him. If he's here, he remains captain. It just makes it really awkward to take it away and still ask him to be a leader on this team.

I do think we should be trying to trade him for younger players but as part of a larger rebuild not because I think he needs to go because of his on-ice performance. Barring a decent trade offer though, another option is to re-sign him but trade a player like Weber or Price instead and hope there is a bigger market and better return for one of those two.

I think we should trade all the players you mentioned

I 100% agree that it is a really crappy move to strip anyone of the captaincy

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • H_T_L locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...