The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2017-18 The Rumors Thread

BigTed3

38 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Which makes sense if you believe MB's insistence on attitude and character. But then again, Drouin had character questions. Shaw had behavioral conduct issues. So who knows what MB deems to be important towards that assessment.

MB has his own interpretations of what defines attitude, grit, character etc. All of it has been a bust so far.

This is a long train going through an endless tunnel.

8 hours ago, maas_art said:

- Pacioretty wants to resign with the habs but management does not want him back unless he relinquishes his captaincy, which he will not do.

Now that's a bad attitude!!!! Patches needs one of those new prospect t-shirts!!!

David Perron reported as unlikely to be back in Vegas. I really believe, despite the fact that he's a winger, that he could be a guy who interests Marc Bergevin. I think MB might inquire about JVR or Neal too, but Perron is likely a more reasonable contract to take on. Would further necessitate another trade for a center or D man by dealing away a winger, but it gives you a free asset to work with to do that.

6 hours ago, caperns61 said:

I would sooner we zero in on Brassard and Statsny. I dont think you would have  to give up much for Brassard, both at 3 yeas unto Poeling and Kotkaniemi are ready.

You have to feel the Pens will want to recoup a 1st rounder for Brassard, given that they just lost one to the Sens to acquire him, along with a recent 2nd round pick. But our 1st rounders for the next 2-3 years could be top lottery picks. They could be Jack Hughes and Alex Lafreniere. Would you be willing to give up our 1st rounder in 2019 and a prospect like Brook or Ylonen or Ikonen or Olofsson to acquire Brassard? Would you give up Lehkonen to get Brassard? Would you give up Petry or Mete? Pittsburgh isn't trading him for a 2nd or 3rd round pick alone, so curious to know what you and others think it would cost to get him...

Stastny and the Jets have mutual interest in a deal, but Winnipeg can't afford to give him a huge cap hit. If he's leaving, it's because he sees a deal for more money/term or a better opportunity somewhere else. With Tavares being the only other decent center on the market and with Stastny thus having many suitors bidding for him, I suspect for him to leave Winnipeg will take a 4-year deal in the range of 5-6M per year, maybe more. We have the cap space now. Is it s a good investment to spend 5-6M on a 35 year old in a couple of years, when we might finally have a chance at building a contender again? I would easily take Stastny for 2-3 years on a reasonable deal, but I'd be surprised if he's not angling for a longer-term contract (the exception being I think he would take less to stay in Winnipeg).

On 4/8/2018 at 1:44 PM, caperns61 said:

There dee is actually quite good for the way the game is played today and relatively young,  Rielly, Garder and Zaitsev can all skate really well. and move the puck really well

They have lots of cap, the end of this season Toronto will free up almost 23 million without blinking an eye, Lupul, Pleks, Bozak and Van Riemsdyk, Moore and Polack

Who would u rather have at the number two spot Kadri or Tavares? You can also trade Kadri if you sign Tavares, now that's another 4.5 million.. I am sure Kadri could fetch a good young deeman.

Also Horton, Marleua and Martin are off the books in 2 seasons which is another 13.8 million. That's over 40 million, Mathews 11 or 12, Tavares at 9 or 10, Nylander and Marner are 7 ....36 million and worst case scenario you have to move one of those 4 in a few years.

Malkin 9.5, Crosby 8.7, 

And you know what a home town boy, if he wants to play in Canada. This would be his best option. Even if he takes 1 or 2 million less. Why would he choose and other Canadian team

My numbers were off a bit,  11 INSTEAD OF 10 PER YEAR THAT WAS BEFORE THE NEW CAP ... but certainly looks like I was right :), not that i am bragging, wait yes I am. I was going to start post all  who disagreed with me but that would take way to long :)

Pacioretty rumors starting to surface again.

The thinking was that as some of the top free agents were signed, teams that missed out might come calling again.   

Ive heard both Florida and Nashville.    I dont think Nashville is in the market but who knows.    Florida added Hoffman but there's a sense they still want one more scoring winger.   Would they be willing to give up someone like Borgstrom?   Dunno. They have some intriguing pieces and Im pretty sure pacioretty would happily sign a contract extension there. 

Dennis Bernstein of The Fourth Period insists that no team was given permission to talk to Pacioretty, despite other sources saying he was allowed to talk to LA. Bernstein today said that the Habs and Pacioretty had agreed to a 6-year extension worth 8M AAV, with the Habs intent on trading him on this deal thereafter. It wasn't clear if Pacioretty was on board with using this to solidify a trade or if he expected to stay long-term.

That said, if Pacioretty was willing to sign for 8M at 6 years, I would just sign him and keep him. I wouldn't give him a NTC, and I would still be open to trading him later if the right offer came along, but I think that's a deal you can live with and it's a deal that's probably still moveable in 2-3 years if he plays like we know he can.

20 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Dennis Bernstein of The Fourth Period insists that no team was given permission to talk to Pacioretty, despite other sources saying he was allowed to talk to LA. Bernstein today said that the Habs and Pacioretty had agreed to a 6-year extension worth 8M AAV, with the Habs intent on trading him on this deal thereafter. It wasn't clear if Pacioretty was on board with using this to solidify a trade or if he expected to stay long-term.

That said, if Pacioretty was willing to sign for 8M at 6 years, I would just sign him and keep him. I wouldn't give him a NTC, and I would still be open to trading him later if the right offer came along, but I think that's a deal you can live with and it's a deal that's probably still moveable in 2-3 years if he plays like we know he can.

I would not sign him until at least 20 games into the season.

Do you remember how good pleks looked before we signed him to 2 year deal? Or price before the 8 year? Pacioretty has already had a very poor showing... I want to see evidence of a bounce back

12 minutes ago, habsisme said:

I would not sign him until at least 20 games into the season.

Do you remember how good pleks looked before we signed him to 2 year deal? Or price before the 8 year? Pacioretty has already had a very poor showing... I want to see evidence of a bounce back

The gamble if you do that is that his contract demands go up (most importantly in terms of term).

The other counter to your point is this: if he plays exceedingly well, his trade value probably shoots up. A team that thought it would compete that has a bad start to the season and can't score might come calling. If he plays poorly, his trade value drops. So at that point, you might be stuck re-signing him or else losing him for nothing. And while teams may look at a bad start and not want to trade for him, I guarantee he will find a taker on the UFA market. For me, if Pacioretty is willing to take a 6-year term, I'd sign him. If he were a 29 year-old UFA who had multiple 30-goal seasons with another team, and he wanted to sign here for 6 years at 8M, we'd probably be okay with doing that given our scoring woes. The concern I have with Pacioretty is getting stuck on a long-term deal for 7 or 8 years. I don't think 8M is unreasonable (albeit it would be better at 7M) for a 1st line player and 6 years is a bargain given what others have signed for recently.

2 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

That's a lot of money and term for a 37 point player. It seems ludicrous to me to double a player's salary after they've cut their goal production and points production in half.

8 hours ago, habs1952 said:

That's a lot of money and term for a 37 point player. It seems ludicrous to me to double a player's salary after they've cut their goal production and points production in half.

One bad season out of last 5, patches has a tremendous shot and he is a phenomenal skater with really good size for an nhl winger, I have no doubt he will be able to score 30goals and 30 assists plus for the next 3 to 5 seasons 6 years at 8 is reasonable. I think a veteran winger to play with polling or kotkaniemi in the next couple of seasons would be of great value, problem for patches is we have no centers or deeman to feed him the puck right now ...

Last season was an anomaly with a bunch of players. Management dropped the ball big time when it came to accountability when they blamed attitude. We lost a number of players which led to a number of bad performances last year which was not a coincidence. You can't tell me that if MB was GM of a a World Cup team that he would pick our defensive corp to fill the roster, despite how good he thought they were, with the exception of Weber maybe. When players go into free agency they pick teams that they think have the best shot at winning and when our top players are stuck with playing with sub standard line mates that changed frequently how can they perform up to expectations?

Dreger says Ott and TB are working on a deal to send Karlsson to Tampa. He believes the NYR are the third team involved in order to take on cap to make the deal happen. One rumor is that they would take on Bobby Ryan, but Dreger suggests Callahan could go to NY.

37 minutes ago, jeff33 said:

the rumour part of this is if we are actually getting in contact with markov for this season, but read what markov has to say. MB is seriously such a.....

https://world.hockeyfeed.com/nhl-news/after-completely-disrespecting-him-nhl-team-might-beg-veteran-to-come-back

Don't come back Markov. Retire. Enjoy retirement. Don't come support this management team.

43 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Don't come back Markov. Retire. Enjoy retirement. Don't come support this management team.

Yes. And also, we have 2 bone fide top 4 dmen, one of whom is injured. We have Mete who is probably a lock for top 4, and Juulsen who still looks like he projects that way.... and then we have like 11 guys who... its anybody's guess what their ceiling is.   Can one of the new Czechs we picked up play top 4? I dont know.  Can Reilly?  I dont know.  

With Weber out for at least a few months, and no Markov, we might actually find out.  Bring Markov in, get Weber back & who knows. We'll most likely lose at least 1 or 2 quality guys on waivers.  

9 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Yes. And also, we have 2 bone fide top 4 dmen, one of whom is injured. We have Mete who is probably a lock for top 4, and Juulsen who still looks like he projects that way.... and then we have like 11 guys who... its anybody's guess what their ceiling is.   Can one of the new Czechs we picked up play top 4? I dont know.  Can Reilly?  I dont know.  

With Weber out for at least a few months, and no Markov, we might actually find out.  Bring Markov in, get Weber back & who knows. We'll most likely lose at least 1 or 2 quality guys on waivers.  

seriously. id rather have barberio than any of our left side guys other than mete

No thanks to Markov or any other D upgrade, even though I'll be eternally grateful for Markie's contributions. Amazing player, good times.

Still though, times have changed. Let's tank this right from the start.

3 minutes ago, ChiLla said:

No thanks to Markov or any other D upgrade, even though I'll be eternally grateful for Markie's contributions. Amazing player, good times.

Still though, times have changed. Let's tank this right from the start.

Amen. We don't need Markov improving the PP or something. I want the team to fail. Fail hard.

• H_T_L locked this topic