The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2017-18 The Rumors Thread

BigTed3

4 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Amen. We don't need Markov improving the PP or something. I want the team to fail. Fail hard.

No doubt, I don't care if Bergevin doesn't want to use the 'R' word for whatever reason. Literally everyone with half a brain understands that this roster is going nowhere in this league, yet we're being taken for fools. We aren't competitive and we won't be for at least 2-3 years, no trade or UFA signing is going to change that. MB has made sure of that a while ago.

2 hours ago, ChiLla said:

No doubt, I don't care if Bergevin doesn't want to use the 'R' word for whatever reason. Literally everyone with half a brain understands that this roster is going nowhere in this league, yet we're being taken for fools. We aren't competitive and we won't be for at least 2-3 years, no trade or UFA signing is going to change that. MB has made sure of that a while ago.

We won't be competitive until a few years after we get a new GM.

FWIW:

According to Sportsnet's Elliotte Friedman, the Canadiens have looked into acquiring 25 year old, 6'6 center Nick Bjugstad of the Florida Panthers. 

Bjugstad was the Panthers first round pick back in 2010, however has dealt with some injury issues. 

He finally put together his first full 82 game season this past year and registered 19 goals and 30 assists while maintaining a 51% faceoff win percentage. 

46 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

FWIW:

According to Sportsnet's Elliotte Friedman, the Canadiens have looked into acquiring 25 year old, 6'6 center Nick Bjugstad of the Florida Panthers. 

Bjugstad was the Panthers first round pick back in 2010, however has dealt with some injury issues. 

He finally put together his first full 82 game season this past year and registered 19 goals and 30 assists while maintaining a 51% faceoff win percentage. 

They looked into him last year too. The big problem is that he's played a lot of wing in Florida because Barkov and Trochek are ahead of him, and a lot of scouts/media believe he's a better winger than center. So we're essentially going down the same train track as Galchenyuk, Drouin, etc.

4 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

They looked into him last year too. The big problem is that he's played a lot of wing in Florida because Barkov and Trochek are ahead of him, and a lot of scouts/media believe he's a better winger than center. So we're essentially going down the same train track as Galchenyuk, Drouin, etc.

Can we trade MB for Dale Tallon instead. Doesnt he speak french

16 hours ago, jeff33 said:

on the LA thing it sounds more and more like the plan was Paciorety for LA's 1st + a decent prospect (ie not Vilardi) 

We would have then turned around and traded LA's 1st + at least one (maybe two) of our 2nd rounders plus more to Buffalo for ROR.  If we're actually going through with a rebuild, then im glad this deal fell through.  We need younger players, not to trade away 3 high draft picks for a 28 year old ROR (even though I do like him). 

With regards to Pittsburgh, the article is making a big stretch to call them a 'front runner."   My understanding i that MB has had extensive talks with LA, SJ, Florida and now Vancouver.   Tampa, Pittsburgh and a few others have "kicked tires' but it was highly unlikely Pittsburgh was ever going to seriously take a run at him. 

16 hours ago, Regis22 said:

Yup, stuck with him all year . And if  ( when ) he has another lousy year, because he will again have no C and or D to forward him the puck ,  his value will be even lower .

I still think he'll be moved.  The concern i have is that Mb will lower the price considerably or that he will accept older players than he was originally thinking of.   

I wouldnt be surprised at all to see one of the florida teams (Patches loves the state) or NYI (close to his hometown). 

We need to stop getting picks, and then turning around and trading those picks away.

Stockpile 1st and 2nd round picks, then draft 1st and 2nd round players. 

We're tired of riding in the Toyota.  We'd rather walk for a few years then step into our Bentley.  

10 hours ago, jeff33 said:

I suspect we won't be trading Max until the the trade deadline... At which point, hopefully we can still get a 1st or good prospect for him. Another important moment for this team that MB is bungling. Surprise surprise.

3 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

I suspect we won't be trading Max until the the trade deadline... At which point, hopefully we can still get a 1st or good prospect for him. Another important moment for this team that MB is bungling. Surprise surprise.

A blind man could have seen Max should have been traded at last year's trade deadline.

I really hope the Habs don't get a win all season, Jack Hughes would look great in the red, white and Blue.  MB can be dropped like a bag of horse droppings and we can hire a GM that is the best man for the job, regardless of what language he speaks

2 minutes ago, 26NCounting said:

I really hope the Habs don't get a win all season, Jack Hughes would look great in the red, white and Blue.  MB can be dropped like a bag of horse droppings and we can hire a GM that is the best man for the job, regardless of what language he speaks

Unfortunately i think MB is here for a while still. Its entirely the wrong move but it is what it is.  Im not convinced he wont be able to build a good team (a lot of it by dumb luck) but we're not putting ourselves in the best position to do so.

I worry that Carey Price is going to return to lights out hockey this year.  He, more than anyone else, seemed in need of a reset.  On the one hand thats good - we want our $10m man to play at the top of his game - but on the other its bad because he could singlehandedly save our season.

Time will tell.  I could see us coming dead last and i could see us making the playoffs (on Price's back).  Im still in the mindset to #loseforhughes of course. 

5 minutes ago, booboo_mtl said:

I think this is ou bcause max doesn't want to sign a long term deal with one of the teams.... hurting his value... but I'm probably giving MB too much credit 

7 minutes ago, booboo_mtl said:

1 minute ago, habsisme said:

I think this is ou bcause max doesn't want to sign a long term deal with one of the teams.... hurting his value... but I'm probably giving MB too much credit 

Yup,,, trade value just went down,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, some more.

40 minutes ago, booboo_mtl said:

"The Canadiens have declined to offer a contract extension to Max Pacioretty"  

if this is true (and i dont necessarily trust the sportingnews) then its another one of Marc Bergevin's ridiculous moves.   You dont want to resign someone? Fine but dont make that be known!!!  Just tell him you will present an offer soon and in the meantime work the phones.   Its ludicrous how bad this team is at asset management. 

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

"The Canadiens have declined to offer a contract extension to Max Pacioretty"  

if this is true (and i dont necessarily trust the sportingnews) then its another one of Marc Bergevin's ridiculous moves.   You dont want to resign someone? Fine but dont make that be known!!!  Just tell him you will present an offer soon and in the meantime work the phones.   Its ludicrous how bad this team is at asset management. 

This. If true, it's sad. And if you can't find a trade partner, you have to at least consider re-signing him or negotiating. You can't just flip your captain off, anger him, and cause his trade value to plummet.

4 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

This. If true, it's sad. And if you can't find a trade partner, you have to at least consider re-signing him or negotiating. You can't just flip your captain off, anger him, and cause his trade value to plummet.

Exactly.  As soon as rival GMs hear  "they arent offering their perennial 30+ goal scorer a contract despite being abysmal at scoring"   they have to start to wonder... why? 

So tack on Pacioretty to the list of Subban, Eller, Galchenyuk, Markov, Radulov, Semin, Diaz, Briere, PAP, Thomas, Carr, Kristo, Beaulieu, Pateryn, DSP, Sekac, etc. that Bergevin didn't think had the right attitude/character to play here or weren't worth paying, even though he freely dished out money to 4th liners and scrubs. Good judge of talent that Marc Bergevin.

Whatever value Patches might have had just plummeted. Teams may trade for him if they think they'll have a better shot at the cup but they won't give up a hell of a lot for a player they may have for only one year.

• H_T_L locked this topic