The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2017-18 The Rumors Thread

BigTed3

6 minutes ago, Born-To-Be-A-Hab said:

With Chicago clearing cap space  in the Hossa trade , would Chicago be a destination for patches ?

Ive heard some speculation about that.

Im not sure who we'd be wanting back.  knowing MB it would be Toews but surely even he isnt that nuts. 

4 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Ive heard some speculation about that.

Im not sure who we'd be wanting back.  knowing MB it would be Toews but surely even he isnt that nuts. 

Why not Toews? Even that makes more sense than what we've done so far. At least its not status quo 

12 minutes ago, habsisme said:

Why not Toews? Even that makes more sense than what we've done so far. At least its not status quo 

You mean besides the fact he has a $10.5m cap hit for the next 5 years and has had declining numbers for 5 straight years?  he scored 52 points last year & is 30 years old.  Do you think thats what we need?

I mean sure he'd immediately be our best centre and there's an outside chance he can have a rebound year but in the long run this would be a very bad move for this team.

As appealing as adding any half-way decent centre would be, we need to get younger, not older. 

Now, if Chicago was to retain salary - and maybe throw in a good prospect or young defensman, id consider it but would they? 

15 minutes ago, maas_art said:

You mean besides the fact he has a $10.5m cap hit for the next 5 years and has had declining numbers for 5 straight years?  he scored 52 points last year & is 30 years old.  Do you think thats what we need?

I mean sure he'd immediately be our best centre and there's an outside chance he can have a rebound year but in the long run this would be a very bad move for this team.

As appealing as adding any half-way decent centre would be, we need to get younger, not older. 

Now, if Chicago was to retain salary - and maybe throw in a good prospect or young defensman, id consider it but would they? 

I agree BUT we are not rebuilding which means we are going to suck for the next 5 years ANYWAY... this will make us suck less for the next 2 or 3

8 minutes ago, habsisme said:

I agree BUT we are not rebuilding which means we are going to suck for the next 5 years ANYWAY... this will make us suck less for the next 2 or 3

Right, but if we suck MORE then we end with higher draft picks and maybe - just maybe - Molson stops drinking the Kool Aid and lets MB go so we can do a proper rebuild?  Im probably dreaming... 

3 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Right, but if we suck MORE then we end with higher draft picks and maybe - just maybe - Molson stops drinking the Kool Aid and lets MB go so we can do a proper rebuild?  Im probably dreaming... 

No, I think if we stink again this year - and we will - MB is gone. Like fans are going to burn down the Bell Centre. Molson knows that. 

You have to dread us getting anywhere near the playoffs, and MB knows his plot armour is contingent on that, so don't be shocked if he DOES try to land a guy like Toews. He clearly wanted to go after stastny and johnson and guys like that

1 hour ago, jeff33 said:

No, I think if we stink again this year - and we will - MB is gone. Like fans are going to burn down the Bell Centre. Molson knows that. 

You have to dread us getting anywhere near the playoffs, and MB knows his plot armour is contingent on that, so don't be shocked if he DOES try to land a guy like Toews. He clearly wanted to go after stastny and johnson and guys like that

There is not ONE fan on these boards defending MB anymore... NOT ONE! I don't know anyone who defends him. 1 out of 3 people talk about boycotting habs or not caring anymore (admittedly much of it is likely just talk but where there is that much smoke, there has to be SOME fire). If Molson doesn't get it NOW, I have to wonder if he will ever actually get it. 

Is there anyone who still thinks MB should be our guy? Anyone who doesn't want an all out rebuild? Please speak up! Even the media flat out laughs at him now. Molson is a loser who doesn't know how to run an organization. 

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

Who cares about the cap hit if its sitting in Molson hand anyway. By the sounds of it Patches vaue is dropping anyway. At 30 years old he is still of the best two way centers in the game. I think it would be a very very good move to have him here with Poling and Kotkiamie a couple of years away. He could be a very good mentor to those kids. 

You add toews and we have a very formidable forward core for the next few seasons. Our dee still sucks though....

$$$ is Molsons only concern, building will still be full and profit will be made, maybe not as much but enough to pay MB salary and that of MT. Firing MB now and paying multiple gms and coaches makes no $ sense. He’ll go as far as he can with MB as gm, although wouldn’t doubt if MB has much less say in moves

Have heard rumors about Chicago being interested in Pacioretty or Skinner now that they have cap space too. Rumor is that they have previously refused to deal Saad in other trades, and I don't see them giving up Saad for Pacioretty. If they can negotiate a new deal with him, my ask would be

- Nicolas Beaudin (their late 1st rounder from this past year)

- Nick Schmaltz (young center)

- 1st rounder from 2019

2 hours ago, jeff33 said:

Don't be so sure buddy, Molson's bottom line is $$$ plus he's part of the foxhole syndrome. My prediction is that MB, by order of Molson, will not spend the cap thus saving the necessary money to offset the upcoming losses from fan dissatisfaction from a team that they KNOW will suck.

I think MB is here to stay as long as Molson owns this team.

Looking for a # 1 L D man , I give you Duncan Keith . Just the type of player MB covets

Character, Grit, Attitude, 3X Stanley  Cup Champion , 2X Norris Winner, 1X Conn  Smythe , 2X Olympic Gold MEdalist , he's played with SW before , will be 35 yrs old soon anmd last year had his worst season since 2008 -2009

4 hours ago, maas_art said:

Toews could teach our wingers how to play center. And, it's not like we're gonna need the cap space. 

1 hour ago, Habs=stanleycup said:

Don't be so sure buddy, Molson's bottom line is $$$ plus he's part of the foxhole syndrome. My prediction is that MB, by order of Molson, will not spend the cap thus saving the necessary money to offset the upcoming losses from fan dissatisfaction from a team that they KNOW will suck.

I think MB is here to stay as long as Molson owns this team.

Things are so bad it's as if Molson is actually running the team and MB is his lackey.

12 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Have heard rumors about Chicago being interested in Pacioretty or Skinner now that they have cap space too. Rumor is that they have previously refused to deal Saad in other trades, and I don't see them giving up Saad for Pacioretty. If they can negotiate a new deal with him, my ask would be

- Nicolas Beaudin (their late 1st rounder from this past year)

- Nick Schmaltz (young center)

- 1st rounder from 2019

Kind of funny. On the Blackhawks reddit, they seem to think a fair trade is Anisimov 1 for 1. Lmao

1 hour ago, loyalhabsfan said:

Kind of funny. On the Blackhawks reddit, they seem to think a fair trade is Anisimov 1 for 1. Lmao

I think we would be pretty darn lucky to get three pieces from the Blackhawks in any deal for Max. Max signing an extension is the big question mark. And I still don't see how he fits in Chicago with an extension. They only have 9 forwards signed according to CapFriendly.

I have no interest in Anisimov for three more years. Max has been the far superior player to him throughout their careers.

I would be happy with Chicago's first rounder in 2019 and one prospect.

Although, not a rumor... I still think there might be a fit for Max in San Jose. They can easily absorb his 2018-2019 salary and cap hit. They also have room to sign him to an extension moving forward, if they want to. San Jose should be a play-off team (as usual) in 2018-2019. Adding Max seems to make sense.

I don't know what we'd want, though. Timo Meier, Florida's second rounder (2019), and San Jose's third rounder (2019)?

1 hour ago, loyalhabsfan said:

You can blame our GM for that.  instead of pumping up his value he's devalued him to the media so much that people are starting to believe it. 

12 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Although, not a rumor... I still think there might be a fit for Max in San Jose. I don't know what we'd want, though. Timo Meier, Florida's second rounder (2019), and San Jose's third rounder (2019)?

Unless we're getting a top end, cant fail, centre prospect, i think there has to be at least a 1st rounder included in the return.  Look at what some of those teams got for rentals at the dealine. With Max you get the next 7 or so months to work out a deal and if you cant, you can either flip him at the deadline for pieces (probably similar to what Cane and Tatar got) or you keep him as "your rental" and possibly keep try to work out a deal.  Max may say he only wants to sign an extension in Montreal or Florida right now but let a guy play for a team for a few months and that often changes. 

22 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Unless we're getting a top end, cant fail, centre prospect, i think there has to be at least a 1st rounder included in the return.  Look at what some of those teams got for rentals at the dealine. With Max you get the next 7 or so months to work out a deal and if you cant, you can either flip him at the deadline for pieces (probably similar to what Cane and Tatar got) or you keep him as "your rental" and possibly keep try to work out a deal.  Max may say he only wants to sign an extension in Montreal or Florida right now but let a guy play for a team for a few months and that often changes. 

Yeah... but we can't expect return for Max based on the assumption that the team he's going to MIGHT sign him to an extension. Bergevin has put us in a corner on this deal. He's not going to get the return that we, as fans, want. Meier seems like a solid prospect. A 2nd and a 3rd rounder give us extra picks for the 2019 draft. I think that's a fair deal based on the situation we're in.

31 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Yeah... but we can't expect return for Max based on the assumption that the team he's going to MIGHT sign him to an extension. 

Why not though?  Plenty of soon to be UFAs get traded at the deadline for parts + a 1st.  We're offering a whole year of Max.    

I am not saying MB WILL get that return because i have no faith in his abilities but he absolutely should be able to.   We're not talking about a player we may overvalue like Eller or Galchenyuk.  We're talking about one of the top goal scorers in the league for the past 6+ seasons.  Yes, last year was bad but everyone seems to agree that this was more likely an anomaly than the new normal.  Put him with a top centre and see what he can do. 

Meier is more valuable than a San Jose 1st IMO (I actually don't think they have their 2019 1st after signing Kane), Meier is 21 and already a proven middle six NHLer and San Jose's 1st rounder (especially if they add Pacioretty) will likely be somewhere in the 20s. The odds of getting a Timo Meier at that spot is pretty low. For example, I'd trade Juulsen, McCarron, Beaulieu, or Scherbak for Meier in a heartbeat. 

Granted I don't think it has much of a chance of happening, I don't think the Sharks would include Meier and I think Bergevin would be nervous to move Pacioretty without getting a center back after moving Subban, Sergachev, and Galchenyuk and still not getting a center back. Although Ducharme coached Meier in Halifax so maybe there's something there, but I just don't see San Jose moving one of their handful of young players.

At the end of the day isn't the bigger issue that his production tanked last year? If I'm another team, I'm not paying a premium until I know it was an anomaly; until after he's on pace to score 30 goals again. Now that we know he is unlikely to start the year with us.... I wouldn't expect much

1 hour ago, habsisme said:

At the end of the day isn't the bigger issue that his production tanked last year? If I'm another team, I'm not paying a premium until I know it was an anomaly; until after he's on pace to score 30 goals again. Now that we know he is unlikely to start the year with us.... I wouldn't expect much

Totally. And this is why you dont manage assets the way MB does.   He's painted himself into a corner & now what. 

From what I hear around the league there are enough GMs who arent worried (considering who Pacioretty had to work with) but you're still limiting your potential partners by not putting him in the best light before trading him. 

• H_T_L locked this topic