The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2017-18 The Rumors Thread

BigTed3

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

Why not though?  Plenty of soon to be UFAs get traded at the deadline for parts + a 1st.  We're offering a whole year of Max.    

I am not saying MB WILL get that return because i have no faith in his abilities but he absolutely should be able to.   We're not talking about a player we may overvalue like Eller or Galchenyuk.  We're talking about one of the top goal scorers in the league for the past 6+ seasons.  Yes, last year was bad but everyone seems to agree that this was more likely an anomaly than the new normal.  Put him with a top centre and see what he can do. 

Maybe I just have no faith left in this organization to accomplish anything. Maybe I'm one of those super jaded Habs fans.

I would love to see three decent pieces coming back for Max. I just cannot imagine it happening. I wouldn't even be surprised if it ends up being another one-for-one trade because Bergevin has made it so clear that he's looking to get rid of him. Heck, there's no way Max will come back and play a single game with Montreal this year, is there?

1 hour ago, Noob616 said:

Meier is more valuable than a San Jose 1st IMO (I actually don't think they have their 2019 1st after signing Kane), Meier is 21 and already a proven middle six NHLer and San Jose's 1st rounder (especially if they add Pacioretty) will likely be somewhere in the 20s. The odds of getting a Timo Meier at that spot is pretty low. For example, I'd trade Juulsen, McCarron, Beaulieu, or Scherbak for Meier in a heartbeat. 

Granted I don't think it has much of a chance of happening, I don't think the Sharks would include Meier and I think Bergevin would be nervous to move Pacioretty without getting a center back after moving Subban, Sergachev, and Galchenyuk and still not getting a center back. Although Ducharme coached Meier in Halifax so maybe there's something there, but I just don't see San Jose moving one of their handful of young players.

Would you trade Max for Timo straight up? If San Jose was willing to make that move, that is.

Meier is more valuable than a San Jose 1st IMO (I actually don't think they have their 2019 1st after signing Kane), Meier is 21 and already a proven middle six NHLer and San Jose's 1st rounder (especially if they add Pacioretty) will likely be somewhere in the 20s. The odds of getting a Timo Meier at that spot is pretty low. For example, I'd trade Juulsen, McCarron, Beaulieu, or Scherbak for Meier in a heartbeat. 

Granted I don't think it has much of a chance of happening, I don't think the Sharks would include Meier and I think Bergevin would be nervous to move Pacioretty without getting a center back after moving Subban, Sergachev, and Galchenyuk and still not getting a center back. Although Ducharme coached Meier in Halifax so maybe there's something there, but I just don't see San Jose moving one of their handful of young players.

I dont disagree with your assessment but for the same reason i think Sergachev for Drouin was a mistake, I think Pacioretty for Meier would be an error too.   Now, you can say "whats to say they'll draft the right player with a 1st" and you're right, we're going on faith, but the last thing we need is more wingers.   

1 minute ago, maas_art said:

I dont disagree with your assessment but for the same reason i think Sergachev for Drouin was a mistake, I think Pacioretty for Meier would be an error too.   Now, you can say "whats to say they'll draft the right player with a 1st" and you're right, we're going on faith, but the last thing we need is more wingers.   

Don't worry man... Seguin is UFA in 2019. Our franchise will be saved when we sign him as a free agent on July 1st, 2019. Our center troubles can finally all be put to rest. I mean, we'll have the cap space, right? WHAT could go wrong!? 

37 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Don't worry man... Seguin is UFA in 2019. Our franchise will be saved when we sign him as a free agent on July 1st, 2019. Our center troubles can finally all be put to rest. I mean, we'll have the cap space, right? WHAT could go wrong!? 

haha.

on a positive note, we have like 4 guys who are all projecting as #1-2 centres. This is the best ive felt about our centre depth in ages.   On D, im slightly less excited although we do have a lot of guys who look good for #3-4. 

10 minutes ago, maas_art said:

haha.

on a positive note, we have like 4 guys who are all projecting as #1-2 centres. This is the best ive felt about our centre depth in ages.   On D, im slightly less excited although we do have a lot of guys who look good for #3-4. 

Yes ... until MB trades them for more bottom pairing LD or some bottom 6 forwards with the right attitude.

50 minutes ago, maas_art said:

haha.

4 guys? Poehling and Kotkaniemi... Who else?

57 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Difference to me is Sergachev was a #9 pick and a highly touted prospect who was very likely to make the NHL and become a good player in a position of need, but a San Jose (or FLA/LA/STL/PIT is at best going to be a late teens pick which is fine but nothing special. I'm not even being negative about the Habs drafting record, more just the actual draft position itself. Scherbak, Juulsen, Poehling, and Beaulieu (and Rychel for that matter) were all perfectly fine draft picks, and McCarron is the only one that was bad based on what we knew at the time. It's just such a dice roll and I'd rather at least get someone I know is an NHLer like Meier than roll the dice on another pick in the 20s. Of course I would rather get VIlardi /Borgstrom/Thomas or a 1st from a bad team (Islanders?) but by the sounds of it the market isn't really that high on Pacioretty for whatever reason and Meier might be the best player available. It's hard to say since we don't know what's being said but if the choice is between a trade package built around Meier or one built around a late 1st or a player like Bjugstad then you could do a lot worse than Meier I think. 

Trading a known likely top 4 D at worst for a 2RW to play at C was bad. Trading Pacioretty for a 21-year-old known middle six winger with upside is fine if the alternative is (or at least seems to be) mediocre-to-decent older centers like Bjugstad, Anisimov, or a 20th+ 1st round pick. I also think the Habs can't really be choosers when it comes to young talent. if Pacioretty gets moved for a D or C prospect then suddenly the LW depth is Domi and Lehkonen, Meier starts to look pretty nice there, especially since the RW depth is thin after Gallagher and adding Meier means you can move Lehkonen to RW. The Habs also are only comparatively deep at LW because of Pacioretty, move him and Domi/Byron/Lehkonen/Hudon is fine LW depth but nothing spectacular and there's not much in the prospect pool at LW. 

13 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

4 guys? Poehling and Kotkaniemi... Who else?

Olofsson is on a #2C trajectory right now. Still a long way to go before he actually proves he can be, but he's got a decent chance of reaching that ceiling and would probably be another Eller/Danault type player at worst at this point.  

Jake Evans is also someone I wouldnt discount yet. People are writing him off as a bottom 6 centre because of his draft pedigree but he's got exceptional vision. I think he may surprise.  Ikonen is probably a longshot at this point, but still in the mix. Vejdemo & Bitten are probably better suited to #3. 

So its not like "a sure thing" but with that list:  Koktkaniemi, Poehling, Olofsson, Evans, Bitten, Ikonen, Vejdemo  - thats a better group than we've seen in our system for a loooooooong time.  Something to be cautiously optimistic about. 

10 minutes ago, Noob616 said:

Trading a known likely top 4 D at worst for a 2RW to play at C was bad. Trading Pacioretty for a 21-year-old known middle six winger with upside is fine if the alternative is (or at least seems to be) mediocre-to-decent older centers like Bjugstad, Anisimov, or a 20th+ 1st round pick. I also think the Habs can't really be choosers when it comes to young talent. if Pacioretty gets moved for a D or C prospect then suddenly the LW depth is Domi and Lehkonen, Meier starts to look pretty nice there, especially since the RW depth is thin after Gallagher and adding Meier means you can move Lehkonen to RW. The Habs also are only comparatively deep at LW because of Pacioretty, move him and Domi/Byron/Lehkonen/Hudon is fine LW depth but nothing spectacular and there's not much in the prospect pool at LW. 

Its a fair arguement. I think id still hold out for a young centre but if you're right & he's not out there/available, then you maybe have to do what you can do.    

The other thing is, with our young centre depth, and the fact this season may well be a write off, try guys at centre.  Start the year with Drouin-Hudon/Domi-Danault-Plekanec.  Or move Drouin back to wing & try Domi-Hudon at #1-2.   Is it ideal? God no. But maybe one of those guys shows he can be a #2c.  Then all you're missing is that #1 and we're grooming him down in the minors.

So, id still hold out for a Centre (or at least high picks to draft one) but if thats not possible, your reasoning does make sense.   Which is why MB probably wont do it. 

I'm still wondering about Arizona, it doesn't make as much sense because they'd have to sign Pacioretty to a real contract and pay him real dollars but something just makes me think Dylan Strome might be more available than we think after they went way off the board for Hayton. Strome's not the best skater and he's not on track to be an elite 1C anymore but he demolished the AHL and would instantly be the Habs best center.

I'm still wondering about Arizona, it doesn't make as much sense because they'd have to sign Pacioretty to a real contract and pay him real dollars but something just makes me think Dylan Strome might be more available than we think after they went way off the board for Hayton. Strome's not the best skater and he's not on track to be an elite 1C anymore but he demolished the AHL and would instantly be the Habs best center.

I have no problem with Strome on our roster.  Worst case, he ends up getting pushed back to 3rd line once our 17 and 18 year olds are ready.  but like you said, Arizona doesnt seem like the right partner.  maybe a 3 way deal? 

44 minutes ago, jeff33 said:

Bernstein from 4th period was on tsn today , says patch is on chicagos radar now that they ditched hossa's contract

ansimov and a pick coming back? sounds like an MB save my job kind of trade

Ugh.  Yep.  Anisimov or Toews would be the 2 centres I could see MB targeting. :(

I have heard from other sources that the reason they cleared space is to try and get Panarin back. 

Chicago "Insider" John Jaeckel just tweeted: 

"Heard just now Hawks working on several trade scenarios. Pacioretty ("top priority"), Skinner, Faulk, also talking to Vegas and Vancouver (players unnamed but LIndberg and Gagner were mentioned to me last week). FWIW, none of the scenarios I heard about included Panarin."

Ceiling has to be Schmaltz. Floor you'd think would be Beaudin ++. Please for the love of God no Anisimov 

29 minutes ago, loyalhabsfan said:

Ceiling has to be Schmaltz. Floor you'd think would be Beaudin ++. Please for the love of God no Anisimov 

Id happily take Schmaltz but do you really think they'd move him?  We might have to add to Pacioretty to make that deal happen. 

To me Pacioretty doesnt make a ton of sense - unless - Chicago thinks they can challenge for one last cup with this core.    Go all in, bring in a couple more big names & then blow it up after a year or two.   Seems unlikely though.

If thats the case though, maybe Pacioretty + Byron + Shaw for Schmaltz and a  defensive prospect ie Beaudin or Dahlstrom ?  

Instead of being 30 th in the league , they end up  25 th maybe

1 # 1 C isn't enough and IMO The D still looks like crap . We're banking on Mete , Juulson, and Reilly to really shine and show they can play in the NHL because KA, JB, DS are really # 5 and further guys

• H_T_L locked this topic