The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2017-18 The Rumors Thread

BigTed3

3 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

30 teams... 24 teams... I don't think it matters. The number of teams that would be willing to take him on is likely 0.

haha.  probably pretty close. 

My guess is that there are a couple who would take him but you'd have to take back a bad salary.  Maybe if it was for a centre it would be worth simply because we have better options than him at LD but I doubt MB would do anything. 

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

haha.  probably pretty close. 

My guess is that there are a couple who would take him but you'd have to take back a bad salary.  Maybe if it was for a centre it would be worth simply because we have better options than him at LD but I doubt MB would do anything. 

I think our greatest hope is that we get a new G.M. in the next few years who will just buy him out immediately.

2 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

I think our greatest hope is that we get a new G.M. in the next few years who will just buy him out immediately.

I know im an optimist but i honestly think he'll be better this year.  (i mean he couldnt be any worse, right?)  There was a stretch of 15-20 games last year where he was actually not too bad at all.  Not $4.6m good but probably #4-5dman good.  Im hoping that Julien uses him right and the new coaches somehow figure out how to play him effectively.   Pair him with someone mobile (sorry Juulsen), keep him out of the top 3 and who knows. 

Probably dreaming but... 

47 minutes ago, maas_art said:

I know im an optimist but i honestly think he'll be better this year.  (i mean he couldnt be any worse, right?)  There was a stretch of 15-20 games last year where he was actually not too bad at all.  Not $4.6m good but probably #4-5dman good.  Im hoping that Julien uses him right and the new coaches somehow figure out how to play him effectively.   Pair him with someone mobile (sorry Juulsen), keep him out of the top 3 and who knows. 

Probably dreaming but... 

I just can't see it. Not good at moving the puck, not a good skater, not a very good shot. He just doesn't fit into today's game very well. He's a shot-blocking D man, and those types are often times overrated by old-school NHL types. Josh Gorges, Mike Weaver, Hal Gill, Jordie Benn, Douglas Murray, Brent Sopel, etc. All guys who fit that mold. Which isn't to say they can't be in the NHL as #6-7 guys but they also have to be paid like 6-7 guys. You can't devote 4.6M to them. You can't even devote 2M to that type of player. And frankly, in today's game where speed and puck movement mean more than they did before, those players are just not as useful as they were 5-10 years ago. With the cap, you need to be able to fill out your depth with younger, cheaper players, so having a guy like Alzner really handicaps you. I'd rather have Juulsen in. I'd rather have Ouellet or Lernout or Despres. I don't really see Alzner bringing anything more than what those other guys do for less money.

As it stands, we have way too many guys who need to be sheltered into the 6-7 role: Alzner, Schlemko, Benn, probably Juulsen for the first half of the season at least. And with Weber out, we have one #2 guy (Petry) and one #4 guy (Mete) and not a whole lot else to go in the top 4. Will be hard to hide Alzner behind anyone.

Ive heard a number of rumblings today out of Florida and Chicago about Pacioretty. It sounds like both teams are very interested & if true, hopefully MB is playing them off of one another.

It seems as though the reasoning behind the trades are different though:  Florida wants another top 6 sniper who can help some of the young vets mature - and grow into a powerhouse over the next few years.   Chicago wants a guy who can step onto their first line right now & hopefully get them one more cup in their ever closing window (effectively replacing Hossa).

Florida has an advantage in that we know Max wants to go there & would sign an extension.  They also have a lot of depth at centre but its unclear if they would give up the guy we want (we'd want Borgstrom, they'd want to give up Bjugstad)  but if the pacakge was enough...

Chicago, on the other hand would probably be ok with giving up good young talent like Schmaltz if they felt their window was closing.  Would max resign in the windy city though? not so sure. 

Will be interesting to see how this plays out.  Im 70/30 that he'll be traded in the next week or 2.   

I hope you're right, maas_art. I really just want some clarity on who will be playing on the team in September. This a good chance for us to get young players and prospects to help us rebuild... and it's one we cannot miss out on. If Max starts the season with Montreal and this becomes a deadline day deal, we'll get significantly less in return.

6 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

I hope you're right, maas_art. I really just want some clarity on who will be playing on the team in September. This a good chance for us to get young players and prospects to help us rebuild... and it's one we cannot miss out on. If Max starts the season with Montreal and this becomes a deadline day deal, we'll get significantly less in return.

And thats really the problem I have with the domi trade.  I mean I really liked Galchenyuk but if you need to move on from him, fine but you have to address your needs.   Now, maybe they think they did. Maybe they think Domi is our #2C of the future but right not it looks like we swapped a LW for a different LW.

We absolutely have to get back a centre or a LHD  for Max - or, ideally - both. 

1 minute ago, maas_art said:

And thats really the problem I have with the domi trade.  I mean I really liked Galchenyuk but if you need to move on from him, fine but you have to address your needs.   Now, maybe they think they did. Maybe they think Domi is our #2C of the future but right not it looks like we swapped a LW for a different LW.

We absolutely have to get back a centre or a LHD  for Max - or, ideally - both. 

Indeed. I'd be happy with receiving one quality prospect in one of the positions you have mentioned and some other pieces (picks, riskier prospects).

I guess the Seguin rumors can begin now.

Stu Cowan wrote an article for the Gazette pondering if Seguin would want to play here? LOL. Remember when Tavares didn't include us on his "maybe" list?

Wasn't Segiun dumped by Boston when Claude Julien was the coach there? Would Seguin really even consider coming to play for the man again? 

1 hour ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Stu Cowan wrote an article for the Gazette pondering if Seguin would want to play here? LOL. Remember when Tavares didn't include us on his "maybe" list?

Wasn't Segiun dumped by Boston when Claude Julien was the coach there? Would Seguin really even consider coming to play for the man again? 

Yeah, I don't think so. We can play the Tavares game all season long but money aside, I don't see a reason for Seguin to join a non-contending team like ours. And money probably won't even be an issue, there should be plenty of teams willing to give him what he wants – if he even hits free agency.

I think there's zero chance Seguin courts the habs but just for argument's sake I dont think Julien deserves criticism for the Seguin debacle.

Seguin is the classic example of 'straightening out' when he was traded.  Im not sure if he just suddenly wised up or if he got a mentor in Dallas but he did a complete 180.  In boston he was such a party boy he'd make guys like chelios and galchenyuk look like nuns.   He routinely showed up to practice majorly hungover and apparently a few times still drunk. In the 2013 playoffs he actually had security assigned to him by the team to ensure he did not leave his hotel room at night. 

Julien has said repeatedly that he never gave up on Tyler.  I think he was more than happy to try to work through things with him but its tough to say if Seguin would have made the necessary changes in boston.  For  his part, Tyler has said nothing but nice things about Julien and in fact, during the really bad slump in 2013 Seguin actually went to Julien and asked for advice. People see something like "demoted to 3rd line" and think its punishment but in this case I think Julien was trying to shelter him.   Clearly bruins management messed up but i dont think its on Julien. 

Having said that, Claude Julien system + tyler seguin doesnt really jive. 

14 minutes ago, maas_art said:

I think there's zero chance Seguin courts the habs but just for argument's sake I dont think Julien deserves criticism for the Seguin debacle.

Seguin is the classic example of 'straightening out' when he was traded.  Im not sure if he just suddenly wised up or if he got a mentor in Dallas but he did a complete 180.  In boston he was such a party boy he'd make guys like chelios and galchenyuk look like nuns.   He routinely showed up to practice majorly hungover and apparently a few times still drunk. In the 2013 playoffs he actually had security assigned to him by the team to ensure he did not leave his hotel room at night. 

Julien has said repeatedly that he never gave up on Tyler.  I think he was more than happy to try to work through things with him but its tough to say if Seguin would have made the necessary changes in boston.  For  his part, Tyler has said nothing but nice things about Julien and in fact, during the really bad slump in 2013 Seguin actually went to Julien and asked for advice. People see something like "demoted to 3rd line" and think its punishment but in this case I think Julien was trying to shelter him.   Clearly bruins management messed up but i dont think its on Julien. 

Having said that, Claude Julien system + tyler seguin doesnt really jive. 

So... what you're saying is... Segiun likes Julien and he's signing with Montreal!!!???

32 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

But in all seriousness... these rumors are gonna keep going and keep going and keep going for an entire year. "Seguin to Montreal." Or "Duchene to Montreal."

I'd much prefer tp read the rumors of Bergevin OUT of Montreal. 

So... what you're saying is... Segiun likes Julien and he's signing with Montreal!!!???

Haha.  Eklund will probably read it as that. :P

No, id put about 20 teams ahead of us for Seguin.  

31 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

I'd much prefer tp read the rumors of Bergevin OUT of Montreal. 

YES. 

Unfortunately I think we've got at least 2 more years of him.  I think Molson is in it (the retool) for the long haul.

According to Marc De Foy of the Journal,  Paul Statsny actually called Pacioretty before July 1st and asked what his contract situation was.   Statsny was, apparently, quite interested in coming to Montreald / to play next to Patches. 

When Pacioretty said he was unsure, Statsny chose the Golden Knights.  

Obviously there are lots of other factors too but interesting that the decision to leave MP hanging may have had us lose out on a (at least band-aid) centre solution.  

31 minutes ago, maas_art said:

According to Marc De Foy of the Journal,  Paul Statsny actually called Pacioretty before July 1st and asked what his contract situation was.   Statsny was, apparently, quite interested in coming to Montreald / to play next to Patches. 

When Pacioretty said he was unsure, Statsny chose the Golden Knights.  

Obviously there are lots of other factors too but interesting that the decision to leave MP hanging may have had us lose out on a (at least band-aid) centre solution.  

And if the Habs still had Radulov ... (and maybe Markov)?  :5785:

Stastny and who knows who else.

1. Julien also said he and Galchenyuk got along and that he had confidence AG would get his shot and succeed. Sounded eerily familiar to what he said about Seguin. I don't see Seguin coming to play for Julien.

2. Players definitely talk. We heard rumors that Tavares spoke to PK about playing in Montreal and that PK advised against playing for Bergevin. Now we're hearing Stastny didn't want to deal with the uncertainty here. Bergevin's getting a reputation as being anti-player and arrogant and not a guy you want to come and sign with, especially if you're a skill player.

Apparently we're talking to Tobias Enstrom.   Meh.

I mean Enstrom is fine, would probably come fairly cheap and take a 1 year deal but whats the point?   He's been trending down since Atlanta & is probably a third pairing guy at this stage of his career.   Could he fit into our top 4? probably, because we're so bad, but is he enough of an upgrade over one of our under 25 year old guys to push them down the roster?    I dont think so.  Let the kids play.

51 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Apparently we're talking to Tobias Enstrom.   Meh.

I mean Enstrom is fine, would probably come fairly cheap and take a 1 year deal but whats the point?   He's been trending down since Atlanta & is probably a third pairing guy at this stage of his career.   Could he fit into our top 4? probably, because we're so bad, but is he enough of an upgrade over one of our under 25 year old guys to push them down the roster?    I dont think so.  Let the kids play.

Could you imagine if Bergevin puts forward a multi-year offer in desperation? Another Karl Alzner type deal... I'd vomit.

22 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Could you imagine if Bergevin puts forward a multi-year offer in desperation? Another Karl Alzner type deal... I'd vomit.

God. Lets hope not.

That said, at least Enstrom can skate. Id definitely take him over Alzner but he's also 33 and been getting worse as the years go by.   Plus, like i said, is there any point in bringing in a guy like him to take away learning/playing time from Mete, Reilly, Sklenicka or Valiev?   Because of how detroit used (misused) him,  Ouellett is a dark horse who may well be our best LD outside of Mete.  Signing a guy like Enstrom pushes him even further back.    And lets not forget, there's a (very slim, but still a) chance that a guy like  Fleury or similar makes the jump this year the way Mete did last year.

Im all for bringing in a young, bonefide top pairing LD if we could swing it but i see absolutely no sense in signing another mid-level, #4-6 guy who will just plug up the roster. As it is, one of those guys may well end up being a total gem that could be a legitimate top 4.  Any UFA who MB signs is already a known commodity at this point. 

I won't hate it if they do but I'd rather they don't. I can see the logic with Weber's injury and wanting to have a veteran guy to take tough minutes and soak up some of the garbage time on a bad team, but I agree with the others that I'd rather just roll with a rotation of Reilly or Valiev or whoever. 

3 hours ago, Noob616 said:

I won't hate it if they do but I'd rather they don't. I can see the logic with Weber's injury and wanting to have a veteran guy to take tough minutes and soak up some of the garbage time on a bad team, but I agree with the others that I'd rather just roll with a rotation of Reilly or Valiev or whoever. 

Enstrom for one season could be tolerable, but really only if the plan is to trade him at the deadline for something. I think he's have value as a trade asset. I don't think the D men we have in our system are good enough to make blocking their playing time a huge concern (i.e. if Alzner sits in the pressbox or Reilly sits from time to time I couldn't care less). None of those guys are going to be impact players down the line except Mete and Juulsen, potentially. So whereas I don't like Plekanec taking ice time from a Hudon, Scherbak, Evans, etc., our D is in such shambles that I couldn't care less one way or the other whether they sign Enstrom. Don't need him, don't think we're going anywhere this season with or without him, but if they can turn him into a draft pick, so be it.

• H_T_L locked this topic