The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2017-18 The Rumors Thread

BigTed3

Agreed with the sentiment that anyone on this roster can be traded, including Price. I would deal him for the right return but not for Duchene straight up. Duchene is a 2C and he's only got two years left on his contract. I'm also not sure Colorado needs Price, they're almost in full-on rebuild mode, even if they won't admit it, so they probably want younger parts. I think teams like Calgary, Edmonton, Florida, Philly, Buffalo, Anaheim, etc. might be better trade matches for us, as teams that believe a boost in goaltending could put them onto another level.

On 9/8/2017 at 9:08 AM, Habs=stanleycup said:

I knew I'd get that reaction from some.

We all have our opinions and we want our team to win. However silly it does sounds to you, in order to win the Cup, I'd rather be stronger up front with numbers than rely so heavily on one goal-tender; we have Lindgren, a decent backup and a couple of prospects goal-tending wise, however we lack the strength offensively in order to make a deep impact playoff run, let alone bring the Cup back IMO.

IMO if we are to trade price we will get a much better player in return than Duchene. I like Duchene love to see him here but to give up arguably a top 5 player in the league (Price) for maybe a top 30 player in the league (Duchene) and that's being generous. No offence but that's just silly to me. and besides that i don't think we'd have an arena to play in cause I'm sure the hab fans would burn the Bell Centre down.

3 hours ago, xxdocxx said:

IMO if we are to trade price we will get a much better player in return than Duchene. I like Duchene love to see him here but to give up arguably a top 5 player in the league (Price) for maybe a top 30 player in the league (Duchene) and that's being generous. No offence but that's just silly to me. and besides that i don't think we'd have an arena to play in cause I'm sure the hab fans would burn the Bell Centre down.

:4224:

2 hours ago, habs_93 said:

I just don't see how the team (at least, under Bergevin) trades Price after signing him to the contract they did. Sure seems like we're in for 4-6 seasons of desperately trying to make it work.

Pretty much sums it up,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, for the last 3 years.

On 9/9/2017 at 7:33 PM, habs_93 said:

I just don't see how the team (at least, under Bergevin) trades Price after signing him to the contract they did. Sure seems like we're in for 4-6 seasons of desperately trying to make it work.

MB did it with PK, why not Carey?

FWIW, 

Bergevin told Marinaro (TSN 690 ) that he has David Schlemko penciled in as Weber’s partner, but that can change due to performance or who the team is playing on a given night.

It remains to be seen if Schlemko can handle both first pairing minutes and assignments as he was essentially a third pairing defender with the San Jose Sharks last season.

16 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

FWIW, 

Bergevin told Marinaro (TSN 690 ) that he has David Schlemko penciled in as Weber’s partner, but that can change due to performance or who the team is playing on a given night.

It remains to be seen if Schlemko can handle both first pairing minutes and assignments as he was essentially a third pairing defender with the San Jose Sharks last season.

my best guess is that MB / CJ see this almost set in stone:

______   Weber
Alzner - Petry
_______  Benn

So i think they are going to try various people on that #1 left side and see what happens.  Schlemko may get the first crack (I think MB still believes Emelin-Weber was great and since Schlemko has better numbers than Emmy, he'll be even better)  but ultimately i think its  case of trying to find a fit in that one spot, with most of the others a 'done deal' as far as they are concerned.

Curious if MB is still trying to fill that spot with a trade though. 

TSN’s Darren Dreger tweeted that, based on his sources, the Avs will continue to try and make a deal for Duchene. It’s been more than a year, however, that Sakic has explored trade options, and nothing has yet to happen.

5 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

TSN’s Darren Dreger tweeted that, based on his sources, the Avs will continue to try and make a deal for Duchene. It’s been more than a year, however, that Sakic has explored trade options, and nothing has yet to happen.

Rumor that came out yesterday was that Avs asked Nashville for a top 4 D man (presumed to be Ekholm) AND another piece and that Nashville wouldn't even give up Ekholm alone (which makes more sense knowing Ellis is out long-term as well). So we know Sakic is over-valuing his asset. He is rumored to want a young NHL-ready D man. He was rumored to have wanted Sergachev plus something else from us, and that's not an option any more. We don't even have a Beaulieu to throw in any longer. We literally have no NHL-ready young D men, and we probably shouldn't be trading away Juulsen or Mete when we have so little in the near-future pipeline anyways. So is Sakic willing to take picks and forward prospects? Not sure he is.

We probably had a good deal on the table, too. Out of the ones to be considered, that one and the Hamhuis deal would've been good for them. Luckily, we saw that Bergevin knows how to move on. A more incompetent GM might have given up Galchenyuk+Sergachev+1st all for Duchene alone. Now we have both Drouin and Galchenyuk and I'm excited to see what they can do.

A lot of speculation on Duchene right now.   The feeling is that its a huge distraction for the new season in Colorado & Sakic is going try to make a deal very soon, however, it also sounds like he's not budging on what he wants.  Dreger has reported that at the draft Sakic wanted a young LD plus, plus and plus.   There's no indication what he's looking for now, but we know Duchene has been available for a while.

The media ( most recently Dreger and Lebrun) still believe we are linked to Duchene but I worry about what we'd give up to get him.  As long as its not a guy like Galchenyuk (who i actually think is going to break out this year)  im definitely cautiously interested. Duchene is still a very good player, but like Weber before him, the price to acquire him cant be prohibitive.

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

A lot of speculation on Duchene right now.   The feeling is that its a huge distraction for the new season in Colorado & Sakic is going try to make a deal very soon, however, it also sounds like he's not budging on what he wants.  Dreger has reported that at the draft Sakic wanted a young LD plus, plus and plus.   There's no indication what he's looking for now, but we know Duchene has been available for a while.

The media ( most recently Dreger and Lebrun) still believe we are linked to Duchene but I worry about what we'd give up to get him.  As long as its not a guy like Galchenyuk (who i actually think is going to break out this year)  im definitely cautiously interested. Duchene is still a very good player, but like Weber before him, the price to acquire him cant be prohibitive.

Giving up Galchenyuk for Duchene would make no sense, as we are already way too weak with our offence IMO. Mind you with MB, anything's possible. :(

1 hour ago, Habs=stanleycup said:

Giving up Galchenyuk for Duchene would make no sense, as we are already way too weak with our offence IMO. Mind you with MB, anything's possible. :(

Giving up the much younger and more versatile Subban for Weber didnt make too much sense to most of us either...  thats why it worries me.... 

Its time to get over Subban, his teammates didn't like his personality.  It got to a point where he had to be moved.  

The idiot teammates that sleep with their teammates' wives also all eventually get moved.  

As GM, what are you supposed to do when your room won't accept them anymore?

If MB could have gotten a #1C for Subban, he would have, but it wasn't an available option at the time, so we ended up with Weber and a harmonious room.    

28 minutes ago, Windoe said:

Its time to get over Subban, his teammates didn't like his personality.  It got to a point where he had to be moved.  

The idiot teammates that sleep with their teammates' wives also all eventually get moved.  

As GM, what are you supposed to do when your room won't accept them anymore?

If MB could have gotten a #1C for Subban, he would have, but it wasn't an available option at the time, so we ended up with Weber and a harmonious room.    

Are you sure? ;)

9 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

Are you sure? ;)

Well we may never really know , but it was reported last spring that Subban was told to be quite during the Pittsburgh series because he was being a distraction. Two completely different teams but the same individual involved? Either way he's gone we have Weber a different style defenseman but just as good in his own right. So it is time to move on.

8 hours ago, CaptWelly said:

Well we may never really know , but it was reported last spring that Subban was told to be quite during the Pittsburgh series because he was being a distraction. Two completely different teams but the same individual involved? Either way he's gone we have Weber a different style defenseman but just as good in his own right. So it is time to move on.

after a full year of observation, thats a resounding no.

btw, which round of the playoffs might that have been? we sure got a lot further with mr. distraction. seems the preds did too. 

time to move on is when this entire organization flips over, players and management. 

anyway seems we are still in final running for duchene, and the trade is coming any day. im really curious to what he goes for ( I dont see us getting him...who do we have that they would want?)

I complain about bargain boy but wow sakic is a special kind of horrible

5 hours ago, habs_93 said:

No, Weber is objective not "just as good" as Subban.

Well that is a debate that isn't going to be resolved here either. There are sites that list Subban higher and sites that list Weber higher. There is no definitive as +/- and advanced stats , points goals assist can totally quantify in the game of hockey. So that may be your opinion but not every ones and we are all entitled to our own as the "hockey" experts coaches gm's ect. . Either way Weber is here Subban is not and we can debate it every year and accomplish nothing doing it. So I agree we should talk and debate our current team and what we may have moving forward.

• H_T_L locked this topic