Jump to content
The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2017-18 The Rumors Thread


BigTed3
 Share

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Enstrom for one season could be tolerable, but really only if the plan is to trade him at the deadline for something. I think he's have value as a trade asset. I don't think the D men we have in our system are good enough to make blocking their playing time a huge concern (i.e. if Alzner sits in the pressbox or Reilly sits from time to time I couldn't care less). None of those guys are going to be impact players down the line except Mete and Juulsen, potentially. So whereas I don't like Plekanec taking ice time from a Hudon, Scherbak, Evans, etc., our D is in such shambles that I couldn't care less one way or the other whether they sign Enstrom. Don't need him, don't think we're going anywhere this season with or without him, but if they can turn him into a draft pick, so be it.

Yep exactly, if we're getting UFAs they need to be to flippable at the trade deadline for picks/prospects since they'll be taking development ice time from our younger guys

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would rather have us sign Kevin bieska...veteran guy who can look after mete and juulsen...enstrom has skill but hes injury prone playing from behind hes even less effective...i'd rather have bieska who can at least fight we need players who can protect our young core

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Fanhab81 said:

I would rather have us sign Kevin bieska...veteran guy who can look after mete and juulsen...enstrom has skill but hes injury prone playing from behind hes even less effective...i'd rather have bieska who can at least fight we need players who can protect our young core

The day of enforcers is all but over ... you don't need a guy to fight as much and we have some others in the lineup already that fill that role (Deslauriers, McCarron, Shaw) ... personally I'd rather neither Bieska or Enstrom.   Lets make sure we give playing time to prospects (Mete, Juulsen, Lernout etc).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On another note.

 

Former Habs defenseman Alexei Emelin has yet to find a new team and it isn't due to lack of interest. 

"When speaking with TVA Sports recently, Emelin's agent, Don Meehan, told them that they had been in contact with multiple teams and he was looking over a couple of offers. 

When asked if those offers included one from Montreal, Meehan refused to comment. 

With the secrecy of negotiations by general manager Marc Bergevin, it might be possible. 

However with Jeff Petry, Karl Alzner, David Schlemko, Jordie Benn, Noah Juulsen, Victor Mete, Mike Reilly, Xavier Ouellet and possibly Simon Despres fighting for playing time, it's unlikely the Canadiens have any interest in Emelin."

Bold is mine.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I agree 100% fighting doesn't play much of a roll in today's game...but who would u rather have benn or bieska...teams r gonna target our young d we need some toughness or they gonna take a beating night In and night out...guys like scherbak Hudon druin Gallagher domi juulsen mete need some protection cause its gonna b a long season

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, HabsAlways said:

The day of enforcers is all but over ... you don't need a guy to fight as much and we have some others in the lineup already that fill that role (Deslauriers, McCarron, Shaw) ... personally I'd rather neither Bieska or Enstrom.   Lets make sure we give playing time to prospects (Mete, Juulsen, Lernout etc).

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Fanhab81 said:

I agree 100% fighting doesn't play much of a roll in today's game...but who would u rather have benn or bieska...teams r gonna target our young d we need some toughness or they gonna take a beating night In and night out...guys like scherbak Hudon druin Gallagher domi juulsen mete need some protection cause its gonna b a long season

Given the choice, I'd keep Benn as he's already signed.     The NHL is no longer "tough" ... those guys are not going to get a "beating night in night out" ... that's just not how the game is played anymore, and its a pity Bergevin doesn't understand that.   Today's game is about speed and skill.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, jeff33 said:

If true, I like it.  But it seems weird the rags  would be going after Patches... arent they in more of a rebuild than us?

FWIW Larry Brooks (NY Post) said the Rangers and Habs were in talks last november/decemeber I seem to remember.  At the time the names were Pacioretty and/or Gachenyuk and/or Shaw that the Rags were interested in.  We were apparently very strong on Brady Skjei  and also had interest in Kreider.


Not sure if Eklund is just pulling up an old rumor (if it was even true at that time) but if there's any truth Id be interested for sure.   I dont think we'll get a top centre for Pacioretty (and with teh young guys we have now, we may not need to) but a young LD ?   Definitely a possibility. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

INteresting rumour out of Pittsburgh. I dont know how reliable the source is but it sounds like it was picked up by their paper.

Apparently before Domi was traded to Montreal, Pittsburgh was under the impression they had acquired him with a deal (in principle) with Arizona for Dominik Simon and one of Bryan Rust or Connor Sheary (since traded to buffalo).


This is pretty interesting actually and im glad we didnt go that route (2 depth players for 1 better player).  There's still a (slim) chance that Domi ends up the better player than Galchenyuk (even though i think we sold way low) so at least MB didnt mess up as badly as it looks like he could have.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, maas_art said:

INteresting rumour out of Pittsburgh. I dont know how reliable the source is but it sounds like it was picked up by their paper.

Apparently before Domi was traded to Montreal, Pittsburgh was under the impression they had acquired him with a deal (in principle) with Arizona for Dominik Simon and one of Bryan Rust or Connor Sheary (since traded to buffalo).


This is pretty interesting actually and im glad we didnt go that route (2 depth players for 1 better player).  There's still a (slim) chance that Domi ends up the better player than Galchenyuk (even though i think we sold way low) so at least MB didnt mess up as badly as it looks like he could have.   

MB continues to leave us with bare cupboards. Trading away the most skilled players for players who fit his narrow view of the attitude mold this time.

Almost every player he has traded away continue to excel. Subban, Radulov, Markov, Sergachev... (I`m sure I`m forgetting a few, but please feel free to fill in the blanks) and now Galchenyuk and Carr.

I just don`t get it. Our GM is like a fox running a hen-house and Molson buys into MB`s philosophy hook, line & sinker.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Everything seems pretty quiet on the Max Pacioretty front, huh? Is anyone else surprised this has dragged on so long? I thought he would be traded by now. I thought it would happen at the draft. I have a sinking feeling we'll see some interest again in September, but that nothing will materialize... This is totally become a trade deadline thing, where the return will be the lowest possible. Le sigh.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Everything seems pretty quiet on the Max Pacioretty front, huh? Is anyone else surprised this has dragged on so long? I thought he would be traded by now. I thought it would happen at the draft. I have a sinking feeling we'll see some interest again in September, but that nothing will materialize... This is totally become a trade deadline thing, where the return will be the lowest possible. Le sigh.

Not really surprising.  Historically from about week 2 of free agency until right up till training camp, not a lot happens.   

I believe that once teams get to training camps & see they have a hole they will address it (see MB, thats what you're supposed to do:  fill your weak spots!!)  but I dont know if the return will be the best. 

My biggest concern is that a number of Montreal journalists have speculated that the whole "attitude thing' means MB will not start the season with Pacioretty as captain (which means not on the roster) and that probably means we're trading him for whatever we can get before October. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You asked

https://montrealgazette.com/sports/hockey/nhl/hockey-inside-out/what-the-puck-canadiens-and-max-pacioretty-are-in-lose-lose-situation

 

Did MB screw this up too,

" The problem for Bergevin is he’s been trying to trade Pacioretty for months and so far it hasn’t worked. So the other 30 general managers know Bergevin is desperate because it’s almost unimaginable that the Habs captain will start the year with Montreal. The other GMs can offer less than market value for him, knowing full well that Bergevin doesn’t have much room to manoeuvre.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

You asked

https://montrealgazette.com/sports/hockey/nhl/hockey-inside-out/what-the-puck-canadiens-and-max-pacioretty-are-in-lose-lose-situation

 

Did MB screw this up too,

" The problem for Bergevin is he’s been trying to trade Pacioretty for months and so far it hasn’t worked. So the other 30 general managers know Bergevin is desperate because it’s almost unimaginable that the Habs captain will start the year with Montreal. The other GMs can offer less than market value for him, knowing full well that Bergevin doesn’t have much room to manoeuvre.

Not that I disagree but we're basically in the same spot Colorado was in before they moved Duchene.    At this point its been badly mishandled but its not a foregone conclusion Pacioretty will be traded for peanuts.  The problem is that we all have zero faith MB can pull off anything of value. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, maas_art said:

Not that I disagree but we're basically in the same spot Colorado was in before they moved Duchene.    At this point its been badly mishandled but its not a foregone conclusion Pacioretty will be traded for peanuts.  The problem is that we all have zero faith MB can pull off anything of value. 

nope. duchene had 2 more years on his contract. thats why I was all over this band wagon 2 years ago. we coulda got what colorado got which is hilarious because that return was literally everything we need so bad, 3 draft picks, and LD and 2 c's.  molson! im available! :P

Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, jeff33 said:

nope. duchene had 2 more years on his contract. thats why I was all over this band wagon 2 years ago. we coulda got what colorado got which is hilarious because that return was literally everything we need so bad, 3 draft picks, and LD and 2 c's.  molson! im available! :P

disagree.

The similarity is that before Sakic made that huge move, everyone & their dog had said Duchene's value was dropping at a daily rate. instead, Sakic managed to get a massive haul for an overrated player. 


Im not saying that Pacioretty will get us that return or that trading him now (as opposed to a year ago) is wise, but I do think that there's still a chance he can bring a strong return. All you need is two GMs believing that adding him will bolster their chances.... and you need a smart GM to maximize that return... oh snap. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, maas_art said:

disagree.

The similarity is that before Sakic made that huge move, everyone & their dog had said Duchene's value was dropping at a daily rate. instead, Sakic managed to get a massive haul for an overrated player. 


Im not saying that Pacioretty will get us that return or that trading him now (as opposed to a year ago) is wise, but I do think that there's still a chance he can bring a strong return. All you need is two GMs believing that adding him will bolster their chances.... and you need a smart GM to maximize that return... oh snap. 

hahahah well the last part is certainly the kicker.....I mean I was trashing sakic for letting it hang so long and then he hit it out of the park.  Dont you think duchene having term left is a big factor though? I mean teams know we HAVE to cave if we want to move him or hes just gone for nothing.

Anyway Im not entirely gloom and doom,I think we will get something decent back based on the same logic you are describing, the guy has a good resume and there has been obvious interest. If anything I'm frustrated because I think we have been passing on some very fair deals, I think if we were privy to whats been on the table  we would be blowing up the board with posts about what are we waiting for

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, jeff33 said:

hahahah well the last part is certainly the kicker.....I mean I was trashing sakic for letting it hang so long and then he hit it out of the park.  Dont you think duchene having term left is a big factor though? I mean teams know we HAVE to cave if we want to move him or hes just gone for nothing.

Anyway Im not entirely gloom and doom,I think we will get something decent back based on the same logic you are describing, the guy has a good resume and there has been obvious interest. If anything I'm frustrated because I think we have been passing on some very fair deals, I think if we were privy to whats been on the table  we would be blowing up the board with posts about what are we waiting for

 

I think we will end up with a late first or second and a B level prospect (Like when we got Danault) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, jeff33 said:

Dont you think duchene having term left is a big factor though? I mean teams know we HAVE to cave if we want to move him or hes just gone for nothing

I just think that GMs have shown over and over that when multiple parties get involved, they tend to overpay.  Do i think Pacioretty 2 summers ago is worth more? You bet! And if the rumors that he and Therrien actually felt like Max was a terrible captain were true, then he should have moved him then.

Do i think its a tougher sell now vs. last December? yes.  But i also think that he still has a ton of value if I had any faith in our GM.

 

1 hour ago, habsisme said:

I think we will end up with a late first or second and a B level prospect (Like when we got Danault) 

Yeah, its a tough one.    The problem is that MB isnt a very creative thinker.    If there's no Centres or LD available I dont know what he's going to do.  I think that was the problem with Subban.  MB desperately wanted to move him & even though teams like Edmonton and Vancouver offered very good packages, in MB's mind we had to get a #1D back, so thats why we did 1 for 1 for weber. 

I think its much more likely we end up with a mid-tier centre like Hayes or Bjugstad or similar vs.  going after a high end prospect at any position. MB seems to miss the point that, like the draft, best player available is the best way to trade when you're in the middle of a rebuild because hey, if you're stacked at one position, you can always trade them.  3 way deals are tricky but an option too. 


My guess is we're going to end up with a #4 dman or a #2 centre  - roughly 24-26 years old, plus a pick and a prospect that is probably a longshot to make it to the NHL.  It wont be a slam dunk unless MB gets very lucky or has help. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, maas_art said:

I think its much more likely we end up with a mid-tier centre like Hayes or Bjugstad or similar vs.  going after a high end prospect at any position. MB seems to miss the point that, like the draft, best player available is the best way to trade when you're in the middle of a rebuild because hey, if you're stacked at one position, you can always trade them.  3 way deals are tricky but an option too. 

My guess is we're going to end up with a #4 dman or a #2 centre  - roughly 24-26 years old, plus a pick and a prospect that is probably a longshot to make it to the NHL.  It wont be a slam dunk unless MB gets very lucky or has help. 

But, but, but... WE'RE NOT REBUILDING, maas_art!

We're just... ugh... in a bit of a "down" period???

At this point, I have so little confidence in MB take making trades with our most valuable pieces. I wouldn't be surprised if we trade Max 1-for-1 for a RD. And then we can try to play him on his off-side.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • H_T_L locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...