The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2017-18 The Rumors Thread

BigTed3

5 hours ago, xxdocxx said:

I'm picking up with my fellow newfie here, sorry mods but this is a bonehead comment. Ryder done very well with Montreal and had three good years after he went to boston  and a season high 35 goals in dallas and a very respectable 10 goals in 27 games in his return.  No offence Jeff but Ryder has something patches will never have.  and guess what that is......  

Absolutely, Ryder was very succesful in Montreal and definitely very valuable for us. But he wasn't earning $7.5M during his time here, which is likely what Pacioretty will get.

I was all for trading Patches but if the Skinner deal is any indication of what we can expect in return, I'd actually prefer extending him. There's really no point flipping the best goalscorer we've had in decades for peanuts, and we'd always have the option to trade him in 1-2 years down the road.

That said, I have a feeling they really don't want him wearing the C anymore and I doubt Pacioretty would be willing to sign an extension once they do that. Looks like we've managed to screw this up pretty bad.

15 hours ago, xxdocxx said:

I'm picking up with my fellow newfie here, sorry mods but this is a bonehead comment. Ryder done very well with Montreal and had three good years after he went to boston  and a season high 35 goals in dallas and a very respectable 10 goals in 27 games in his return.  No offence Jeff but Ryder has something patches will never have.  and guess what that is......  

max and ryder both had very productive years in montreal. that wasnt my contention. I said essentially they are both 1  dimensional players and I dont believe in paying those kind of players star money.

Man does Pacioretty ever get underrated by Habs fans. 9th in goals since he became an established player in 2011 while playing with such superstar centers as David Desharnais and Philip Danault. Unbelievable. I worry for the next cohort of prospects, if Pacioretty pulling 35 goals out of thin air with 3rd line journeymen as centers, being a premiere shot creator in the league, anchoring a top PK unit, and being one of the league's most dominant possession forwards isn't good enough then what's going to happen when Kotkaniemi isn't Scheifele? 

If you want to say he's going to decline into his 30s and the Habs should move on that's fine and I more or less agree (but I don't believe he absolutely needs to be traded no matter the return), but this revisionist history that he was never a star player and that he's just another Michael Ryder is insulting. He is and was a top 10 goal scorer in the NHL and is an elite possession player, strong defensively, and is one of the most effective shooters (in both volume and quality) in the league. That is immensely valuable at 4.5M or 7.5M. 

17 hours ago, xxdocxx said:

Over 8 seasons from 2003-04 to 2011-12 (his scoring prime bookended by 25 and 35 goal seasons) Ryder scored 168 goals. Over just 6 seasons from 2012-13 to 2017-18 Pacioretty scored 173, and over his 8 season prime Pacioretty scored 220 but it seems like your qualm is that this comparison is unfair to Ryder which I just flat out disagree with. Ryder was a great player in Montreal and had an excellent career but he's not even close to Pacioretty's level just on goal scoring alone without even talking about defense, possession, and overall impact. They aren't even in the same ballpark.

6 hours ago, jeff33 said:

max and ryder both had very productive years in montreal. that wasnt my contention. I said essentially they are both 1  dimensional players and I dont believe in paying those kind of players star money.

Agree. Now, if Max was paid to avoid going in the corners and standing 15 - 20 feet in front of the net he'd be worth 10 million a year.

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

FWIW, apparently Pacioretty is selling his home in Florida... doesn't sound like he has any plans to join the Panthers.

He could be planning on moving up with a new contract. :rolleyes:

27 minutes ago, jwlk said:

hope we keep Pacioretty, who's gonna score for us, Domi?, without pacioretty we would for sure be the worst team in the league, and who trades a 30 goal scorer if you don't have to

17 goal scorer. 20 assists last year.

2 hours ago, jwlk said:

hope we keep Pacioretty, who's gonna score for us, Domi?, without pacioretty we would for sure be the worst team in the league, and who trades a 30 goal scorer if you don't have to

Are you kidding??  I want us to be the worst team in the league, why settle for a few years of being a fringe team.  Lets just do a proper rebuild

3 hours ago, jwlk said:

I agree completely. He is our only consistent scorer and he kills penalties and plays in all situations. "The tank and rebuild" is a very long shot also. How's that working out for Phoenix? Now more than ever there is no guarantee of keeping the low pick even if you finish last. Edmonton had how many first overalls?  

3 hours ago, jwlk said:

If we can turn him into assets that will mature at the same time as our core then Im all for it.   He's not old like Pleks or Weber but he'll still be past his prime as most of our team is entering theirs.  

I agree it will hurt to lose him in the short term but I think we have to look long term right now.   

According to a source on French sports radio, Jonathan Drouin was hurt at a charity sports event recently and may have a serious knee injury.

Drouin's agent, Allen Walsh, took to twitter to say that was "BS" and that Drouin is "100% healthy." The Habs have apparently told the media Drouin is fine as well... however, Drouin apparently also withdrew from another charity event this weekend and told the organizers it was because of injury.

Either Drouin is healthy and lied to the organizers about withdrawing or else he's not healthy and Walsh and the Habs are lying to us. So much for transparency.

3 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

According to a source on French sports radio, Jonathan Drouin was hurt at a charity sports event recently and may have a serious knee injury.

Drouin's agent, Allen Walsh, took to twitter to say that was "BS" and that Drouin is "100% healthy." The Habs have apparently told the media Drouin is fine as well... however, Drouin apparently also withdrew from another charity event this weekend and told the organizers it was because of injury.

Either Drouin is healthy and lied to the organizers about withdrawing or else he's not healthy and Walsh and the Habs are lying to us. So much for transparency.

one thing for sure, mb will never tell us the truth, so ya  good chance he is hurt :unsure:

On ‎8‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 5:57 PM, Noob616 said:

Man does Pacioretty ever get underrated by Habs fans. 9th in goals since he became an established player in 2011 while playing with such superstar centers as David Desharnais and Philip Danault. Unbelievable. I worry for the next cohort of prospects, if Pacioretty pulling 35 goals out of thin air with 3rd line journeymen as centers, being a premiere shot creator in the league, anchoring a top PK unit, and being one of the league's most dominant possession forwards isn't good enough then what's going to happen when Kotkaniemi isn't Scheifele? 

If you want to say he's going to decline into his 30s and the Habs should move on that's fine and I more or less agree (but I don't believe he absolutely needs to be traded no matter the return), but this revisionist history that he was never a star player and that he's just another Michael Ryder is insulting. He is and was a top 10 goal scorer in the NHL and is an elite possession player, strong defensively, and is one of the most effective shooters (in both volume and quality) in the league. That is immensely valuable at 4.5M or 7.5M. 

Over 8 seasons from 2003-04 to 2011-12 (his scoring prime bookended by 25 and 35 goal seasons) Ryder scored 168 goals. Over just 6 seasons from 2012-13 to 2017-18 Pacioretty scored 173, and over his 8 season prime Pacioretty scored 220 but it seems like your qualm is that this comparison is unfair to Ryder which I just flat out disagree with. Ryder was a great player in Montreal and had an excellent career but he's not even close to Pacioretty's level just on goal scoring alone without even talking about defense, possession, and overall impact. They aren't even in the same ballpark.

Sorry but not once did I say Ryder was in the same ballpark as Patches. I'm still trying to understand the meaning from Jeff that Patches is the new Ryder. The problem has been the same for the last 20 Years and that's no centreman. A team just has to have the right players in the right position and that's something I haven't seen under this management.

FWIW Chantal Machabee says she saw Drouin skating this weekend and he looks fine. So that suggests he's not hurt, in which case, why would he lie about it to get out of a charity tournament. Good to know he's not hurt, but what does that say about the ongoing lying in the Habs' organization and what does that say about Drouin and his supposed character that he lied to get out of a charity event? Still lots of questions...

Meanwhile, Pacioretty due to host his own charity event, a golf tournament in two weeks... word today that Julien, Bergevin, and Molson have all decided not to attend this year. It's alarming how personal Marc Bergevin really makes all his feuds with players out to be. He alienates them, he trashes them in the media, and he flat out treats them like scum at times. Just really really awful leadership and personnel management from our GM. And certainly still no transparency on WHY the Habs have soured on Pacioretty and want him gone.

10 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

FWIW Chantal Machabee says she saw Drouin skating this weekend and he looks fine. So that suggests he's not hurt, in which case, why would he lie about it to get out of a charity tournament. Good to know he's not hurt, but what does that say about the ongoing lying in the Habs' organization and what does that say about Drouin and his supposed character that he lied to get out of a charity event? Still lots of questions...

Meanwhile, Pacioretty due to host his own charity event, a golf tournament in two weeks... word today that Julien, Bergevin, and Molson have all decided not to attend this year. It's alarming how personal Marc Bergevin really makes all his feuds with players out to be. He alienates them, he trashes them in the media, and he flat out treats them like scum at times. Just really really awful leadership and personnel management from our GM. And certainly still no transparency on WHY the Habs have soured on Pacioretty and want him gone.

This management and ownership are arrogant, egotistical and dictatorial. They have totally lost the plot, both with the players AND with the fans. No wonder high quality players want to stay AWAY. They know how they will be treated. Until things change, starting with Bergevin being shown the door, we will remain the laughingstock of the NHL. Dark days ahead for the CH until or unless Molson grows some cojones.

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

From Allan Walsh (Druoin's agent). 

"In the stupidity department, some rumor websites are "reporting" that Jonathan Drouin injured a knee playing summer hockey. Total BS. He's 100% healthy. Everyone can go back now to enjoying their summer". 

5 hours ago, Habs=stanleycup said:

This management and ownership are arrogant, egotistical and dictatorial. They have totally lost the plot, both with the players AND with the fans. No wonder high quality players want to stay AWAY. They know how they will be treated. Until things change, starting with Bergevin being shown the door, we will remain the laughingstock of the NHL. Dark days ahead for the CH until or unless Molson grows some cojones.

Bergevin's and Molson's vision of the Habs:

latest?cb=20100718150030

6 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Meanwhile, Pacioretty due to host his own charity event, a golf tournament in two weeks... word today that Julien, Bergevin, and Molson have all decided not to attend this year.

Oh well , now they know what it was like when PK held his charities and few supported him .

This team is a joke .

Mitch Marner held an event a couple of weeks ago and a bunch of players flew in for it , even JVR who doesn't play for the Leafs anymore

• H_T_L locked this topic