The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2017-18 The Rumors Thread

BigTed3

16 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Meanwhile, Pacioretty due to host his own charity event, a golf tournament in two weeks... word today that Julien, Bergevin, and Molson have all decided not to attend this year. It's alarming how personal Marc Bergevin really makes all his feuds with players out to be. He alienates them, he trashes them in the media, and he flat out treats them like scum at times. Just really really awful leadership and personnel management from our GM. And certainly still no transparency on WHY the Habs have soured on Pacioretty and want him gone.

It's depressing. I feel like Bergevin is paranoid or something. Like, he probably truly believes that Max's attitude resulted in the losing season and somehow believes Max was out to destroy the season from the get-go. I mean, why avoid a frickin' charity tournament that your captain (yes, still the captain) is hosting? It's so petty. If I were Julien, I'd definitely be going... but I guess he's going to tow the company line.

1 hour ago, jennifer_rocket said:

It's depressing. I feel like Bergevin is paranoid or something. Like, he probably truly believes that Max's attitude resulted in the losing season and somehow believes Max was out to destroy the season from the get-go. I mean, why avoid a frickin' charity tournament that your captain (yes, still the captain) is hosting? It's so petty. If I were Julien, I'd definitely be going... but I guess he's going to tow the company line.

Reporter Raphael Doucet??? However... Both sides aren't doing anything to clarify the situation as they refuse to talk about contract negotiations.  So IMO this is not official as yet.

8 minutes ago, Habs=stanleycup said:

Yeah, I saw this... and it almost seems as if this is a reaction to the story about their not being there, that they feel now for PR sake they have to attend. I don't believe anything that comes out of Bergevin's mouth any more, so I frankly don't care what he has to say for himself at this point.

48 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Yeah, I saw this... and it almost seems as if this is a reaction to the story about their not being there, that they feel now for PR sake they have to attend. I don't believe anything that comes out of Bergevin's mouth any more, so I frankly don't care what he has to say for himself at this point.

I agree. This does seem reactionary. Obviously the pressure is on and they are feeling the heat. This is MB and Molson doing all they can to save face. Too little too late IMO.

2 hours ago, Habs=stanleycup said:

2 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

When his tournament is on, I'm sure reporters will be watching the 3 of them to see how much they talk to Max. 

3 hours ago, Habs=stanleycup said:

I agree. This does seem reactionary. Obviously the pressure is on and they are feeling the heat. This is MB and Molson doing all they can to save face. Too little too late IMO.

Molson and Bergevin proving how bush league this team really is.

15 hours ago, Habs=stanleycup said:

There you go... now that's official I guess

• 2 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, Windoe said:

Patches for Seguin, rumour started by me based on nothing :)

haha. its something ive heard people suggest before but seems pretty unlikely. 

i suspect we'd have to add in order to make it happen considering the age difference and the position differences.   I know some people will point to Julien + Seguin = no go, but it appears that was blown way out of proportion and TS actually went out of his way on several occasions to say Julien tried to help him.  The demotion, in hindsight, seems to have been a coach trying to shelter his young player who had (self-admitted) confidence and off ice issues. 

I suppose if you were confident enough in Kotkaniemi and one of Olafsson or Ikonen etc, you could do a Poehling + Pacioretty for Seguin swap.  Both sides would have to sign their new guy first im sure.   Radulov-Pacioretty would certainly be appealing for Dallas especially if they dont think they can resign Seguin. 

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

La Presse reporting that McCarron's agent states he is close to re-signing on a short-term deal and that it is a matter of time as they iron out the final details.

i have my doubts he will ever be more than a 4th liner but I do want to see him resigned. There was an interesting article (on HEOTP i think) that hypothesized (with data) that if McCarron could just get a little more breakout speed he'd be a completely different (and much more effective) player.   Of course, a website analyst can realize this but do we hire a power skating coach? naw. 

2 hours ago, maas_art said:

i have my doubts he will ever be more than a 4th liner but I do want to see him resigned. There was an interesting article (on HEOTP i think) that hypothesized (with data) that if McCarron could just get a little more breakout speed he'd be a completely different (and much more effective) player.   Of course, a website analyst can realize this but do we hire a power skating coach? naw. 

maybe his attitude needs to be better:7072:

6 hours ago, 26NCounting said:

McCarron is a 4th liner at best, his skating is brutal and for his size he doesn't use it to it's full potential.  I would rather see the kid moved to bring in a pick or prospect I doubt he will ever stick in the NHL.

If there's one thing we know it's that you have to be able to skate to play in the NHL. Very hard to overcome that deficiency. You have to do other things too, but skating is a must, and McCarron just doesn't have it. I hated the pick when it happened, and then McCarron two years later made a huge jump in performance in the OHL and I actually remember posting that maybe I was wrong about hating the pick and that TT and MB saw something good and didn't just draft him for size. But since then Mac has regressed, hasn't kept pace at the NHL level, and TT has stated that he wanted to go in another direction with the pick but that Bergevin loved his size. So it turns out McCarron WAS drafted for his size, which was a huge mistake. There's still an outside shot he develops into a serviceable 3rd liner as a late bloomer, but yeah, agreed with you that he likely just flames out.

21 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

If there's one thing we know it's that you have to be able to skate to play in the NHL. Very hard to overcome that deficiency. You have to do other things too, but skating is a must, and McCarron just doesn't have it. I hated the pick when it happened, and then McCarron two years later made a huge jump in performance in the OHL and I actually remember posting that maybe I was wrong about hating the pick and that TT and MB saw something good and didn't just draft him for size. But since then Mac has regressed, hasn't kept pace at the NHL level, and TT has stated that he wanted to go in another direction with the pick but that Bergevin loved his size. So it turns out McCarron WAS drafted for his size, which was a huge mistake. There's still an outside shot he develops into a serviceable 3rd liner as a late bloomer, but yeah, agreed with you that he likely just flames out.

Yeah id say its 70/30 he flames out or becomes a 4th liner at best but this article made a compelling argument for the team to try to help him improve his skating, specifically his first few strides.  They cite Brian Boyle as an example (and its a good parallel) but it seems like the team has just left him to his own devices to find help.  

you'd think if you had an asset that had even just a 30% chance of turning into a much better player you'd do everything you could to help him get there.  But not us.  If you cant do it on your own, we've got not time for you. Go get a better attitude kid.    

22 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Until another team picks him up for peanuts.

Allen Walsh today again tweeting that Pacioretty wants to stay but no offer from Habs or even negotiations... what's more interesting is that he states Bergevin DID complete a trade to LA that Pacioretty nixed because he refused to sign the extension. So that confirms that rumor and suggests MB did come close to moving Pacioretty at the draft and that the extension was the hold up. Suspect there would have been the Kings 1st rounder and maybe someone like Anderson-Dolan coming back, which is obviously now off the table with the draft having passed. All info suggests Pacioretty/Waslh telling the truth and Bergevin lying to our faces yet again. #transparency

58 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Allen Walsh today again tweeting that Pacioretty wants to stay but no offer from Habs or even negotiations... what's more interesting is that he states Bergevin DID complete a trade to LA that Pacioretty nixed because he refused to sign the extension. So that confirms that rumor and suggests MB did come close to moving Pacioretty at the draft and that the extension was the hold up. Suspect there would have been the Kings 1st rounder and maybe someone like Anderson-Dolan coming back, which is obviously now off the table with the draft having passed. All info suggests Pacioretty/Waslh telling the truth and Bergevin lying to our faces yet again. #transparency

Yeah the 1st rounder (20th ova) was definitely part of it because there's mention Pacioretty felt rushed because they had very little time to decide.  

I wonder if the plan was to keep it, or to flip that pick with others/propsects to get ROR. 

1 hour ago, jennifer_rocket said:

It's funny how badly Bergevin is bungling the Pacioretty thing, as well.

When all is said and done, I'll be a fan of P.K. Subban, Andrei Markov, and Max Pacioretty before I'll be a fan of the Bergevin-era Habs.

Yeah, look back and Bergevin has managed to screw up every single one of his big dossiers... Subban. Galchenyuk. Markov. Radulov. Now Pacioretty. He's played contractual chicken with some of these guys and lost. And he's sold a lot of players at their lowest possible value. Just bad bad bad.

16 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Yeah, look back and Bergevin has managed to screw up every single one of his big dossiers... Subban. Galchenyuk. Markov. Radulov. Now Pacioretty. He's played contractual chicken with some of these guys and lost. And he's sold a lot of players at their lowest possible value. Just bad bad bad.

Worst still is that i think in his head, MB still believes' he is the winner of all those moves.   Molson probably too.   Dark times. 

• H_T_L locked this topic