The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2017-18 The Rumors Thread

BigTed3

21 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

what's more interesting is that he states Bergevin DID complete a trade to LA that Pacioretty nixed because he refused to sign the extension. So that confirms that rumor and suggests MB did come close to moving Pacioretty at the draft and that the extension was the hold up. 

Luc Robitaille (via Jean-Charles Lajoie) said today:

"It never went that far, we were interested in Max more than Marc was interested to let him go. He knows he has a good player in his hands"

So again, it seems like someone isnt telling the whole truth... or bending it.

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

Luc Robitaille (via Jean-Charles Lajoie) said today:

"It never went that far, we were interested in Max more than Marc was interested to let him go. He knows he has a good player in his hands"

So again, it seems like someone isnt telling the whole truth... or bending it.

“Bend It Like Bergy”

?

FWIW, Allen Walsh went on the radio today and furthered his claims by saying two prominent members of the Montreal sports media have come to him separately saying that Habs management asked them to publish stories saying that Pacioretty had asked for a trade over the past couple of years. Pacioretty and Walsh deny that he ever did this.

So again, who knows what the truth is, but whatever it is, we have a series of he-said-she-said discrepancies, just like we had with Subban and Briere and PAP and Eller and Markov and Radulov. At some point, you have to believe that all of those guys aren't lying and that management has been dishonest. The common thread is Marc Bergevin and his management/coaching team being accused of lying and/or not communicating the same things to players they've been leaking to the media and fans.

So I'll say what I've been feeling for several years... I'm pissed. And not upset about a particular incident per se but more angry at Bergevin and the Habs organization as a whole. For a team that preached that they would be transparent, the Habs have done nothing but keep everything shrouded in mystery and controversy this off-season. I'm just pretty much sick of being given the run around and lied to and told nothing needs to change. There's pretty much one obvious solution to the Pacioretty escapade at this point, and that's to fire Bergevin. It's the only move that allows you to re-sign him to a reasonable deal or trade him without feeling cornered into making an awful deal.

14 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

FWIW, Allen Walsh went on the radio today and furthered his claims by saying two prominent members of the Montreal sports media have come to him separately saying that Habs management asked them to publish stories saying that Pacioretty had asked for a trade over the past couple of years. Pacioretty and Walsh deny that he ever did this.

So again, who knows what the truth is, but whatever it is, we have a series of he-said-she-said discrepancies, just like we had with Subban and Briere and PAP and Eller and Markov and Radulov. At some point, you have to believe that all of those guys aren't lying and that management has been dishonest. The common thread is Marc Bergevin and his management/coaching team being accused of lying and/or not communicating the same things to players they've been leaking to the media and fans.

So I'll say what I've been feeling for several years... I'm pissed. And not upset about a particular incident per se but more angry at Bergevin and the Habs organization as a whole. For a team that preached that they would be transparent, the Habs have done nothing but keep everything shrouded in mystery and controversy this off-season. I'm just pretty much sick of being given the run around and lied to and told nothing needs to change. There's pretty much one obvious solution to the Pacioretty escapade at this point, and that's to fire Bergevin. It's the only move that allows you to re-sign him to a reasonable deal or trade him without feeling cornered into making an awful deal.

Our CH has been brought low by this current GM & Owner. It's a continuing comedy of unfortunate errors with NO end in sight.

It's a sickening state of affairs.

The only shroud of mystery and controversy from this management is their dishonesty and their contempt for the fans.

46 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

I really can't see Patches playing for the Habs anymore. Bergevin has backed himself into a corner and he's gonna take a bath on any Pacioretty deal he makes. As for losing any offence Patches might have contributed, doesn't matter. Whether you score 200 goals or 180, when you finish 31st your still the worst team in the league.

2 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

So again, who knows what the truth is,

Yeah Walsh is at the top of the list of Agents i wouldnt believe - BUT - our management team has lied and cried wolf so many times that it makes it impossible to even guess who is telling the truth at this point. 

1 hour ago, Regis22 said:

wait for the season to start

Seats will be empty

fans will boo

And this team will be bad , really bad

Im still not sure.  I hope people will voice their displeasure with their pocket books but I have a feeling its still going to be a full house. 

9 hours ago, maas_art said:

Yeah Walsh is at the top of the list of Agents i wouldnt believe - BUT - our management team has lied and cried wolf so many times that it makes it impossible to even guess who is telling the truth at this point. 

Im still not sure.  I hope people will voice their displeasure with their pocket books but I have a feeling its still going to be a full house. 

Not so sure... last season the Habs were buying up tickets of their own and giving them away to groups for free to maintain the sell-out streak. This year, they're offering people discounted group seats if they purchase 5 or 10 game packs. The marketing vibe has changed and it indicates the team is worried people are losing interest.

1 minute ago, BigTed3 said:

Not so sure... last season the Habs were buying up tickets of their own and giving them away to groups for free to maintain the sell-out streak. This year, they're offering people discounted group seats if they purchase 5 or 10 game packs. The marketing vibe has changed and it indicates the team is worried people are losing interest.

They will still have seats filled. I've been on the waiting list for season tickets (Red C) for approximately 10 years. They don't even offer to be on the waiting list for Reds anymore and when I signed up 10 years ago Red C was the absolute best you could get (the waiting list for other seats are just too long). 

This year they finally called to ask if I wanted to purchase available tickets. The way it works you can refuse ONE time and then the next time you are off the list and have to start all over again. I can tell you that I refused them this year but there are a long list of people who would purchase them behind me. So much so that there is no guarantee that my final offer comes next year (which I'm actually hoping for - hoping I don't get an offer cause I'd have to accept or give up my dream).

I don't know about sellouts but I don't think there will be may unpaid seats available. They are going to make their money one way or another. Molson doesn't own a business or a hockey team, he owns a cultural institution... and he knows it. 

5 hours ago, habsisme said:

They will still have seats filled. I've been on the waiting list for season tickets (Red C) for approximately 10 years. They don't even offer to be on the waiting list for Reds anymore and when I signed up 10 years ago Red C was the absolute best you could get (the waiting list for other seats are just too long). 

This year they finally called to ask if I wanted to purchase available tickets. The way it works you can refuse ONE time and then the next time you are off the list and have to start all over again. I can tell you that I refused them this year but there are a long list of people who would purchase them behind me. So much so that there is no guarantee that my final offer comes next year (which I'm actually hoping for - hoping I don't get an offer cause I'd have to accept or give up my dream).

I don't know about sellouts but I don't think there will be may unpaid seats available. They are going to make their money one way or another. Molson doesn't own a business or a hockey team, he owns a cultural institution... and he knows it. 

1. 15 years ago, there was no waiting list for season tickets and you could scoop up tickets on gameday for 8 seats in a row if you wanted to. It hasn't always been guaranteed sell-outs.

2. Don't believe the sell-outs are real. I'm sure they were 3-4 years ago and 10 years ago when Carbonneau had his good year and so on. But lately, there is zero doubt when you show up to games that there are unused seats. Scalpers have reported difficulty getting rid of their seats. It's on record that employees of the Habs and charities are being offered free tickets. The team has an excess of tickets that they are paying to eat just to maintain the sell-out streak and the illusion that seats are scarce.

3. I also know people who have been on the wait list for years. Yes, that list is real. Yes, the wait list has been long. But it's not any more. People I know who have been waiting for 8-10 years for an offer have been offered seats this off-season, even though they still had a thousand or so people in front of them last year. People I know who have grey or white seats were asked if they wanted to upgrade to red seats. So would wonder if you can't get red seats directly from joining the wait list but can get them by upgrading from already being a seat holder.

Again, I think the Habs are going to great lengths to give the illusion demand is higher than it is. I still think fan interest is strong. People will always follow this team, but a lot of people also can't afford to pay the prices for tickets. 15 years ago, you could get seats for $25 to $30 bucks in the greys and now the same seats are maybe $60-70. They've put in extra fees for sitting at center ice. They've put in extra fees for "premium games." They've stopped printing actual tickets for you, which saves them money but without passing any savings on to you as a fan. So I absolutely believe there are fans who are just fed up with being pulled through the wringer and charged exorbitant prices and lied to just to see an on-ice product that's been watered down by bad decisions and personal feuds on the part of the GM.

4 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

1. 15 years ago, there was no waiting list for season tickets and you could scoop up tickets on gameday for 8 seats in a row if you wanted to. It hasn't always been guaranteed sell-outs.

2. Don't believe the sell-outs are real. I'm sure they were 3-4 years ago and 10 years ago when Carbonneau had his good year and so on. But lately, there is zero doubt when you show up to games that there are unused seats. Scalpers have reported difficulty getting rid of their seats. It's on record that employees of the Habs and charities are being offered free tickets. The team has an excess of tickets that they are paying to eat just to maintain the sell-out streak and the illusion that seats are scarce.

3. I also know people who have been on the wait list for years. Yes, that list is real. Yes, the wait list has been long. But it's not any more. People I know who have been waiting for 8-10 years for an offer have been offered seats this off-season, even though they still had a thousand or so people in front of them last year. People I know who have grey or white seats were asked if they wanted to upgrade to red seats. So would wonder if you can't get red seats directly from joining the wait list but can get them by upgrading from already being a seat holder.

Again, I think the Habs are going to great lengths to give the illusion demand is higher than it is. I still think fan interest is strong. People will always follow this team, but a lot of people also can't afford to pay the prices for tickets. 15 years ago, you could get seats for $25 to $30 bucks in the greys and now the same seats are maybe $60-70. They've put in extra fees for sitting at center ice. They've put in extra fees for "premium games." They've stopped printing actual tickets for you, which saves them money but without passing any savings on to you as a fan. So I absolutely believe there are fans who are just fed up with being pulled through the wringer and charged exorbitant prices and lied to just to see an on-ice product that's been watered down by bad decisions and personal feuds on the part of the GM.

I think you're right but it will be some time before it happens and so they have a lot of time to fix things. 

Tickets are definitely too expensive. I mean I can't really afford them. My plan was to get get a group of people to buy with me or scalp half of them to cover mos of the cost of the other half... but as you said, that's no longer really possible. Its $13, 000.00 decision. A hell of a lot of money for me! 

23 hours ago, habs1952 said:

No sympathy here for scalpers. The greater number of tickets they get stuck with the better.

Not claiming sympathy for them by any means. Just saying that it's proof the market for Habs' tickets isn't what it was a few years ago.

For those who doubt my statement the Habs are having trouble selling tickets, I invite you to take a gander over to the online ticket sales... the Habs put their 5- and 10-game packs on sale on Saturday (as in 2 and a half days ago). All packages still have seats available in just about all price levels. Go back 2-3 years ago and you had to be logged into the waiting room right at the start of the sale because they would be sold out within a couple of hours. There's a definite change here. People are fed up and it's showing.

If you believe Eklund (insert laughter) we originally were talking with Arizona about OEL, not Domi.  Seems like one of his typical baloney stories but the timing feels weird too since the Domi-Galchenyuk deal happened a long time ago.   Here's the full snippet:

Well, talking to a source today, that deal was very nearly a MUCH larger deal. The Canadiens wanted Domi, but they started off talking about newly signed Oliver Ekman-Larsson. And it was a massive deal I am told. 

My source told me this and added that both sides, "Left a slight crack open" after the Domi deal went down and it is very possible they could explore this more as the season goes. "OEL likes it in Arizona but wasn't opposed to listening to Montreal. Not at all."

3 hours ago, maas_art said:

If you believe Eklund (insert laughter) we originally were talking with Arizona about OEL, not Domi.  Seems like one of his typical baloney stories but the timing feels weird too since the Domi-Galchenyuk deal happened a long time ago.   Here's the full snippet:

Well, talking to a source today, that deal was very nearly a MUCH larger deal. The Canadiens wanted Domi, but they started off talking about newly signed Oliver Ekman-Larsson. And it was a massive deal I am told. 

My source told me this and added that both sides, "Left a slight crack open" after the Domi deal went down and it is very possible they could explore this more as the season goes. "OEL likes it in Arizona but wasn't opposed to listening to Montreal. Not at all."

hahah we'll give them patchy and they will play him on a line with chuck and they will get 100 pts each

1 hour ago, jeff33 said:

https://world.hockeyfeed.com/nhl-news/nylander-expected-to-miss-camp-next-week

offer them weber and shaw lol

grit! leadership! your going for it this year leafland! 

You know, I wouldnt be surprised at all if they flip Nylander for a defensman - AND - I actually could see the leafs having huge interest in Weber.   So your suggestion isnt actually that far-fetched -  and, unlike say, the Subban for Weber deal, this would make a lot of sense because the Leafs now officially have a 'window' and really could use a top pairing RD.  They may have the best group of forwards in the league but after Reilly they have some holes on d.  Weber would help that group immensely.  

Unfortunately i think the holdup would be MB who would probably balk even though it would likely end up being one of the best moves he ever made.   So frustrating. 

43 minutes ago, maas_art said:

You know, I wouldnt be surprised at all if they flip Nylander for a defensman - AND - I actually could see the leafs having huge interest in Weber.   So your suggestion isnt actually that far-fetched -  and, unlike say, the Subban for Weber deal, this would make a lot of sense because the Leafs now officially have a 'window' and really could use a top pairing RD.  They may have the best group of forwards in the league but after Reilly they have some holes on d.  Weber would help that group immensely.  

Unfortunately i think the holdup would be MB who would probably balk even though it would likely end up being one of the best moves he ever made.   So frustrating. 

100%

• H_T_L locked this topic