The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2017-18 If I Were GM

BigTed3

1 hour ago, Habs_Hockey_Nutz said:

He is a castaway living in a foxhole on a remote island :banana_dancing: and will always be a cast away from landing a trophy fish :4845:

I see what you did there. :4224:

• 2 weeks later...

Not a job I would want... To bad we messed up not giving Scotty Bowman the job way back in the day. How many more cups would we have? 10 or more. He would have drafted Dennis Savard. Flower and Savard together, wow another 60 plus goals for Guy for sure. Maybe he gets to 600.  Then a few years later Scotty trades them both to Pittsburg who really needs some star players for their number 1 pick. Montreal gets Mario ....... oh what a dream. How big would that have been if 66 played for the Habs.How many more cups... I miss the glory days. Come on MB make us great again.

3 hours ago, 4erver10 said:

Not a job I would want... To bad we messed up not giving Scotty Bowman the job way back in the day. How many more cups would we have? 10 or more. He would have drafted Dennis Savard. Flower and Savard together, wow another 60 plus goals for Guy for sure. Maybe he gets to 600.  Then a few years later Scotty trades them both to Pittsburg who really needs some star players for their number 1 pick. Montreal gets Mario ....... oh what a dream. How big would that have been if 66 played for the Habs.How many more cups... I miss the glory days. Come on MB make us great again.

:5187:

• 3 weeks later...

We've talked about trying to get RNH out of Edmonton for a while, and considering they have McDavid and Draitsatl its only a matter of time before he gets dealt.  As strong as they are down the middle, they have some holes at wing & I think would be interested in Gallagher.  On defense they have a decent left side (Klefbom, Nurse and Russell) and may be willing to part with Sekera.   Sekera isnt young (31) but still probably has the chops to play #1LD next to Weber for a couple of years until we can figure out our prospects.   We'd be taking on their most expensive forward and defensman but have the cap space to do so.    In return they get Gallagher + Prospect and possibly picks. 

Potential trade:
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
Andrej Sekara

for

Brendan Gallagher
N. Scherbak
Pick(s)

Our line up:

Pacioretty - RNH - Drouin
Lehkonen -Galchenyuk - Hemsky (Or sign Jagr?)
Byron - Danault - Shaw
Hudon - McCarron/Mitchell - Carr

Sekera - Weber
Alzner - Petry
Schlemko - Benn

Davidson, Jerabek, Streit, Morrow

Looking ahead to next year's FA crop, a few guys who (if they make it to market) could be interesting:

- John Tavares

- Evander Kane

- James Van Riemsdyk

- Mikael Backlund

- David Perron

- James Neal

- Paul Stastny

- Lars Eller!

- John Carlson

• 2 weeks later...

Draisaitl contract now officially signed for 8 years at 8.5M per season. The Oilers should be ok this year, but next year, McDavid's 12.5M hit begins and they aren't really getting any big contracts coming off the books, in addition to possibly having to up Strome. So RNH remains a prime target for the taking. it's almost inevitable that they'll have to deal him... again, a guy like Gallagher on a much cap-friendlier deal and fitting the top 6 winger position to be able to play with McD or Draisaitl has got to look more attractive to the Oil than RNH... it's really one of those situations where it could be a win-win trade.

2 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Draisaitl contract now officially signed for 8 years at 8.5M per season. The Oilers should be ok this year, but next year, McDavid's 12.5M hit begins and they aren't really getting any big contracts coming off the books, in addition to possibly having to up Strome. So RNH remains a prime target for the taking. it's almost inevitable that they'll have to deal him... again, a guy like Gallagher on a much cap-friendlier deal and fitting the top 6 winger position to be able to play with McD or Draisaitl has got to look more attractive to the Oil than RNH... it's really one of those situations where it could be a win-win trade.

The Oilers could also wait until next year's draft and make a pretty good deal then for RNH. Heck, maybe MB can trade the first overall pick for RNH.

12 hours ago, habs1952 said:

The Oilers could also wait until next year's draft and make a pretty good deal then for RNH. Heck, maybe MB can trade the first overall pick for RNH.

What are the odds that we could have a high lottery pick next year and Bergevin would still be presiding over who we pick for the franchise's future? My God what a chilling thought ........:6351:

15 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Agreed. I certainly hope he's at least enquired.   Edmonton may also have the key to our #1 LD problem as they have several LD who would easily be our #1 on that side and probably need to move at least one. 

8 hours ago, maas_art said:

Agreed. I certainly hope he's at least enquired.   Edmonton may also have the key to our #1 LD problem as they have several LD who would easily be our #1 on that side and probably need to move at least one. 

I don't want anything to do with Sekera or Russell. The two left-handed D men of interest would be Klefbom and Nurse. Klefbom is on a friendly long-term deal, so no reason for Edm to trade him and Nurse is an RFA next year but also young and cheap for now. Maybe they include one of those guys in a hockey trade, but they're not going to dump those players to help their cap issues next year. They need to dump one of Sekera, Lucic, or RNH, and I don't know that the market will be all that high on the first two players.

3 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

I don't want anything to do with Sekera or Russell. The two left-handed D men of interest would be Klefbom and Nurse. Klefbom is on a friendly long-term deal, so no reason for Edm to trade him and Nurse is an RFA next year but also young and cheap for now. Maybe they include one of those guys in a hockey trade, but they're not going to dump those players to help their cap issues next year. They need to dump one of Sekera, Lucic, or RNH, and I don't know that the market will be all that high on the first two players.

Would you trade Pacioretty + for RNH and Klefbom? I would partly because I think he will be too expensive in 2 years

12 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

I know Sekera isnt ideal but dont you think he's better than anyone we have on LD right now?  My worry is that MB will make a smart move like Gallagher for RNH but then turn around & deal Galchenyuk for a top 4.   If we could get RNH and Sekera for Gallagher + Pick / Prospect Id still make that deal.   Klefbom and Nurse would be near impossible to get from them, i agree. 

7 minutes ago, habsisme said:

Would you trade Pacioretty + for RNH and Klefbom? I would partly because I think he will be too expensive in 2 years

I would.  It would hurt to lose Patches but those are 2 huge holes we could fill with one move - and Galchenyuk would be no slouch as your #1 LW.

15 minutes ago, habsisme said:

I also think Pacioretty will become very expensive. I would guess 7-8M a season. That said, he's an elite scorer in the league and I think we could actually get more than RNH + Klefbom for him. RNH would become our best center (unless we play AG or JD there) but he's probably a good #2 center on most teams and not a full-fledged #1. So if we're going to deal Pacioretty, I'd aim higher. Why not offer MP to the Isles as part of a Tavares trade (assuming JT signs here long-term as part of the deal)? Why not go after Nathan MacKinnon and reunite him with JD? Why not go after Jack Eichel or Ryan O'Reilly from Buffalo? Or Huberdeau or Barkov from Florida? To me, if you're dealing Pacman, you've got to address the 1C position, and you've got to get a guy who is younger and already proven, but you can do better than RNH. I'd look at dealing Gallagher for RNH, but not Pacman.

8 minutes ago, maas_art said:

I know Sekera isnt ideal but dont you think he's better than anyone we have on LD right now?  My worry is that MB will make a smart move like Gallagher for RNH but then turn around & deal Galchenyuk for a top 4.   If we could get RNH and Sekera for Gallagher + Pick / Prospect Id still make that deal.   Klefbom and Nurse would be near impossible to get from them, i agree. 

Not a question of whether Sekera is better or worse for me. He's 31, and he's locked into a long-term deal for 5.5M. He also has a full NMC for now, so he'd have to agree to the trade. But from our end, even if he agrees, we just can't afford to lock up even more money in over-the-hill defencemen. We already have Weber on an awful contract and Alzner on one. Petry is worth the money now, but he's still 30 and on a long-term deal that might hurt us down the road. If our top 4 is Weber, Petry, Sekera, and Alzner, that's a lot of money tied down in older players on long-term deal, and Sekera doesn't really help our offensive end of things terribly.

7 minutes ago, maas_art said:

I would.  It would hurt to lose Patches but those are 2 huge holes we could fill with one move - and Galchenyuk would be no slouch as your #1 LW.

I'm not worried about our LW depth. We have Pacman, but we can also play AG, JD, or Lehkonen there as needed. I'd prefer to keep AG at center, but if you deal Pacman for someone like Huberdeau, MacKinnon, or ROR, for example, then you have that guy and AG at center and JD and Lehkonen as your top two left wingers and that's not too shabby.

18 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Not a question of whether Sekera is better or worse for me. He's 31, and he's locked into a long-term deal for 5.5M. He also has a full NMC for now, so he'd have to agree to the trade. But from our end, even if he agrees, we just can't afford to lock up even more money in over-the-hill defencemen. We already have Weber on an awful contract and Alzner on one. Petry is worth the money now, but he's still 30 and on a long-term deal that might hurt us down the road. If our top 4 is Weber, Petry, Sekera, and Alzner, that's a lot of money tied down in older players on long-term deal, and Sekera doesn't really help our offensive end of things terribly.

I dont disagree with your logic but the way I see it, we have 2 years to win a cup. After that we're in a world of mess.   Would Sekera make our top 4  better for 2 years? I think so.  After that we're going to have to go into rebuild mode anyway, so you dump who you can and if you have to carry a few bad contracts it shouldnt be a problem because most of your roster will be kids.  

I think there has to be a sense of urgency for MB.  He needs to win while Weber still has some legs, Patches is still a reasonable cost, Petry is still mobile etc.  So while I would normally not be interested in a guy like Sekera, or even a Ryan Suter etc, in this case - since i think we literally have  1 - 2 years at best - id be doing whatever i possibly could to stock the cupboards immediately and not worry about 2 years from now. 

Having said that,  there are rumblings that the oilers are quietly shopping nurse before he goes RFA next year & needs a new contract.   I wonder if we could do something like:

Gallagher + 1st + prospect  
for
RNH + Nurse

That gives Edmonton a top 6 winger (they would be playing RNH at #3 centre) and a good amount of cap space.  It gives us a top 2 centre and a LHD that can actually move the puck. 

Yeah I agree, Sekera and his contract aren't ideal but the team needs to win now or at the very latest next season. Sekera helps you do that and the team won't be a contender in 3-4 seasons when the already aging core is well into their mid 30s.

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/17/2017 at 11:35 AM, eldag said:

What are the odds that we could have a high lottery pick next year and Bergevin would still be presiding over who we pick for the franchise's future? My God what a chilling thought ........:6351:

I honestly believe he's built this team as such in order to tank and draft Joe Veleno in 2018.

The fact that all Cup winning teams lately have had at least one #1C, sometimes two, makes this path to the Cup the dominant path, but it does not make it the only path.

Teams with the #1G, #1D (or two), and #1 defensive corp still have a path to winning.  Montreal, Nashville, Ottawa, San Jose for example.  They're not favoured, because they aren't following the dominant path, but they do have an outside chance to win if a number of other variables align.

Excitement around Edmonton and Toronto is very real because they are following the dominant path with their young superstar #1C(s), following years of miserable performances AND fortunate draft position and talent availability.  Its the same path the currently dominant teams endured, Pittsburgh, Chicago.

Going forward, if there are no major changes to the game, the teams with the #1Cs are most likely to keep being the teams that win, with the occasional exception being a possibility.  

For us, if Drouin can become a top 10 real #1C AND we have the #1G, then we up our odds.  If not, then we still have a slim offshot chance with the #1G.  

• H_T_L locked this topic