Laval Rocket

163 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, HabsRuleForever said:

How are they doing?

27th of 30 AHL teams. So... Not well.

Nikita Scherbak returned to Laval. 

On ‎2‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 0:28 AM, jennifer_rocket said:

27th of 30 AHL teams. So... Not well.

So much for Larry Carriere's managerial abilities :rolleyes:.  I thought the farm team was so stacked with veteran players on the cheap at the start of season.

Proves once again that a stacked roster cannot overcome managerial and coaching ineptitude.  -_-

Edited by PuckPundit

1 hour ago, PuckPundit said:

So much for Larry Carriere's managerial abilities :rolleyes:.  I thought the farm team was so stacked with veteran players on the cheap at the start of season.

Proves once again that a stacked roster cannot overcome managerial and coaching ineptitude.  -_-

it's the coach. 

5 hours ago, PuckPundit said:

I don't know... stacked roster... Hard to really know what is and isn't good in the AHL. These "veterans" are just players who aren't good enough to ever play in the NHL. Certainly our minor league coaching staff is bad... Our whole development system is terrible.

9 hours ago, PuckPundit said:

In this case, probably Bergevin's fault as much as anything. He's raided the AHL roster for his own needs... Scherbak, Deslauriers, Carr, Froese, Juulsen, Lernout, Lindgren, Valiev... all guys who have played for Laval who are currently on the NHL roster.

FWIW,,, 

TSN’s coverage of the AHL continues Wednesday, Mar. 28, when the Toronto Marlies (top development affiliate of the NHL’s Toronto Maple Leafs) host the Laval Rocket (Montreal Canadiens) at 7 p.m. ET. The network will also show the Marlies and Rocket facing off in Laval on Friday, Apr. 13, at 7:30 p.m. ET.

Both games can be seen on TSN2.

32 minutes ago, HabsRuleForever said:

Chris Terry wins scoring title.

He's an UFA, so, if I were him I would be looking elsewhere for a job. He'll never get a chance here, and it would be interesting to see what SL would do without him. 

Laval now has 11 players who can play center which include Jake Evans, Lukas Vejdemo, Hayden Verbeek, Michael McCarron, Will Bitten, Alexandre Alain, Byron Froese, Michael Pezzetta, Daniel Audette, Niki Petti and now Martineau. 

6 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

Laval now has 11 players who can play center which include Jake Evans, Lukas Vejdemo, Hayden Verbeek, Michael McCarron, Will Bitten, Alexandre Alain, Byron Froese, Michael Pezzetta, Daniel Audette, Niki Petti and now Martineau. 

So what ? Now we like centres? Perhaps Bergy heard about the forum.(Just kidding) I really like the coaching  hires as they appear to have a  good history in developing young talent. It would be nice if Evans can step in and help the big club right away. If Bergevin is going to stick around he needs to make these moves a lot quicker. Kudos to many here who were complaining about player development for at least two years. I suggest he reaches for the fire extinguisher before the club is burned to the ground next time if there is a next time. Would the real Mark Bergevin please  stand up. I hope this is a sign of a big attitude adjustment by him and Molson and wonder why Bergy let his friends hang around so long. 

17 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

Nice that we have 11 players that CAN play center, but there are only 4 forward line combinations playing any given game... So, it's not like these guys are going to all be playing center and developing at center ice for the future. Heck, none of them really stand-out to me as potential top-six forwards.

We could have twenty guys that can play center does not mean a hill of beans if they cannot even crack an NHL lineup.

Its about quality not quantity. 

I would trade all of the above for the likes anyone of  Nathan Mackinnon, Kuzentov,  Couture, Scheifele,Barkov  and .....................

The same reason you do not trade one pick  in the top 3 for two picks at 19 and 20. Its about quality not quantity.

colorado-avalanche.png
Nathan
MacKinnon
Centre
Halifax, NS
nathan-mackinnon.png
gp
g
a
+/-
sog
s%

14 hours ago, Habberwacky said:

So what ? Now we like centres? Perhaps Bergy heard about the forum.(Just kidding) I really like the coaching  hires as they appear to have a  good history in developing young talent. It would be nice if Evans can step in and help the big club right away. If Bergevin is going to stick around he needs to make these moves a lot quicker. Kudos to many here who were complaining about player development for at least two years. I suggest he reaches for the fire extinguisher before the club is burned to the ground next time if there is a next time. Would the real Mark Bergevin please  stand up. I hope this is a sign of a big attitude adjustment by him and Molson and wonder why Bergy let his friends hang around so long. 

But keep in mind they have no history of developing professional talent.

3 hours ago, habs1952 said:

Meh talent is talent we will find out soon enough if they are going to make a positive difference.

4 hours ago, habs1952 said:

As I am sure you are aware Ducharme had both Drouin and Mackinnon so he has helped people become NHLer's which may be more important. we have heard a few players recently say they weren't sure of their roles here and while this excuse has been used by many players who have been let go by teams, I don;t think players under Ducharme or Bouchard will be experiencing that. Therrien was clearly old school and I believe Julien to be quite similar. Looking forward I think this is likely Julien's last contract before retirement or is let go.

I thought when Bergevin was hired he talked a lot about developing players within the organisation and he then appeared to make some moves that contradicted that including putting in place coaches in Hamilton to mirror our system and focus on getting players to  play better defensively, but without working or focusing on skill development. ( this is a pretty general statement in itself) Lefebvre was not too far removed from some of the older veteran players  that Bergevin gravitated toward either. Prust, Murray, Bouilllion and some other older players perhaps influenced by Therrien. In some cases these moves appeared to cover some weaknesses within the organization and in other cases perhaps a lack of confidence in some prospects. We did not have any real standouts in the minors then anyhow. 

These new hirings appear to be geared toward a philosophy of developing prospects that has been lost since Bergevin was first was hired and emphasised the need to develop from within. Hopefully he is accountable for this now. I think Ducharme and Bouchard are deserving of the chance and have some familiarity with some of our current players and prospects. We currently have a head coach who has done great work in Boston but nothing in his tenure in Montreal. Becoming complacent and stuck in familiar ways often creates problems for veteran coaches. Ducharme and Bouchard's development at the NHL level cannot be worse than what I have seen from Julien so far or  overhauling the team. I think we may benefit from some players around the league who have played for these coaches before and would like to play for them again.

On 5/20/2018 at 10:27 AM, jennifer_rocket said:

Nice that we have 11 players that CAN play center, but there are only 4 forward line combinations playing any given game... So, it's not like these guys are going to all be playing center and developing at center ice for the future. Heck, none of them really stand-out to me as potential top-six forwards.

Of all those names, Jake Evans has top 6 potential.

8 hours ago, East_Coast_Juggalo_13 said:

Of all those names, Jake Evans has top 6 potential.

Thank goodness SL didn't get ahold of him. 

14 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Say WHAT?!

So weird. I don't get the connection and why Burrow would be on the Laval coaching staff...

Odd signing. Perhaps a result of Bergevin taking a day off in his head?

Who knows with our dysfunctional team. Hopefully Laval Rocket will fare better. 

“We are very lucky to have a candidate of Alex’s caliber join our new coaching staff,” Bouchard said in a Rocket news release. “His recent experience as an NHL player and the extent of his background in professional hockey will prove to be excellent assets for the development of our players. Alex perfectly matches the profile we were looking for; in addition to being an exceptional individual, he is a very good communicator. His rich experience will be an invaluable resource and many players will be able to relate to the perseverance he showed throughout his career. I am thrilled we are able to add Alex to our group.”

"...the extent of his background in professional hockey..."

What are they talking about? He played hockey... How does that qualify him to be coaching our prospects in Laval?