Jump to content
The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Recommended Posts

Jesse Ylonen to be joining the Laval Rocket. I am excited to hear this and be cool to see him play alongside KK. Article by Nathan Ni here https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/ahl-laval-rocket/2020/2/28/21157396/jesse-ylonen-is-joining-the-laval-rocket-montreal-canadiens-prospect-habs

They have won three straight games with Primeau in net...hopefully they can get into the playoffs.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Delirium79 said:

Jesse Ylonen to be joining the Laval Rocket. I am excited to hear this and be cool to see him play alongside KK. Article by Nathan Ni here https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/ahl-laval-rocket/2020/2/28/21157396/jesse-ylonen-is-joining-the-laval-rocket-montreal-canadiens-prospect-habs

They have won three straight games with Primeau in net...hopefully they can get into the playoffs.

He still has a lot of development to do but i have hopes he will be able to make it to the bigs in a couple of years.  Good news. 

Soon we'll be able to hire Saku Koivu to coach as all our players will speak Finnish. :P

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, maas_art said:

He still has a lot of development to do but i have hopes he will be able to make it to the bigs in a couple of years.  Good news. 

Soon we'll be able to hire Saku Koivu to coach as all our players will speak Finnish. :P

Saku's probably waiting on ownership to change the management team first. :lol:

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Delirium79 said:

Jesse Ylonen to be joining the Laval Rocket. I am excited to hear this and be cool to see him play alongside KK. Article by Nathan Ni here https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/ahl-laval-rocket/2020/2/28/21157396/jesse-ylonen-is-joining-the-laval-rocket-montreal-canadiens-prospect-habs

They have won three straight games with Primeau in net...hopefully they can get into the playoffs.

I really like Ylonen. I think he's a sleeper to be able to become a top 6 forward, have been saying it for years. Hopefully the next step in the right direction.

2 hours ago, maas_art said:

He still has a lot of development to do but i have hopes he will be able to make it to the bigs in a couple of years.  Good news. 

Soon we'll be able to hire Saku Koivu to coach as all our players will speak Finnish. :P

Habs say still more important for the coach to be able to speak directly to the fans than to the players.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Saku's probably waiting on ownership to change the management team first. :lol:

Sometimes thinking outside the box is what can change the whole dynamic of an organization. Has he ever coached?. Has he ever been involved in a GM role? He is certainly someone the media can grab onto probably the best player we had in the last 25 years and may have been one of the best in the league if not for all the injuries....

Link to post
Share on other sites

Jesse Ylonen has arrived! Excited to see how he fares in North America and there could well be some adjustment, but I've been saying all along this kid could be a real sleeper pick in the draft. He's got the skill and skating ability to be a solid top 6 player in a couple of years. He might be a player who takes a spot when the free agent frenzy of 2021 dust has settled.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Jesse Ylonen has arrived! Excited to see how he fares in North America and there could well be some adjustment, but I've been saying all along this kid could be a real sleeper pick in the draft. He's got the skill and skating ability to be a solid top 6 player in a couple of years. He might be a player who takes a spot when the free agent frenzy of 2021 dust has settled.

He was above average in the World Juniors of 2019 but hasn’t really lit it up in the Finnish league although he was his teams 3rd best scorer on a pretty lousy team of the Pelicans - I’ll be interested to see if your sentiment is correct 

Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, claremont said:

He was above average in the World Juniors of 2019 but hasn’t really lit it up in the Finnish league although he was his teams 3rd best scorer on a pretty lousy team of the Pelicans - I’ll be interested to see if your sentiment is correct 

Hard to know how his Finnish league performance will translate. Many younger players there don't get a ton of quality ice time, and they play against men. What I like about Ylonen is his skillset. Fast. Good with the puck. That's the type of skill we need and most of our right wingers don't bring what he has. Gallagher is an energy guy. Armia is a puck possession guy who uses size. We don't have a high-skill stick-handler type, and Ylonen could fit that need. Again, maybe he ends up a bust, but I think for the hype that Kotkaniemi and Caufield and Romanov and Brook and Poehling have gotten, Ylonen is a guy who's slid under the radar and could be a pleasant surprise over the coming years.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Hard to know how his Finnish league performance will translate. Many younger players there don't get a ton of quality ice time, and they play against men. What I like about Ylonen is his skillset. Fast. Good with the puck. That's the type of skill we need and most of our right wingers don't bring what he has. Gallagher is an energy guy. Armia is a puck possession guy who uses size. We don't have a high-skill stick-handler type, and Ylonen could fit that need. Again, maybe he ends up a bust, but I think for the hype that Kotkaniemi and Caufield and Romanov and Brook and Poehling have gotten, Ylonen is a guy who's slid under the radar and could be a pleasant surprise over the coming years.

He was playing for an offensively challenged team (2nd lowest goal totals league-wide, other teams have scored up to 60 more goals, which is quite a lot in a relatively low-scoring league like Liiga), so his standard stats aren't going to tell the whole story. He was used in a very limited role and didn't get many offensive zone starts (3rd lowest on the team), but still managed to get a point on ~5th goal his team scored this season. As you've said, what's more important right now is that he's an explosive skater with an intriguing overall skillset we're currently lacking at RW. The question is if he can use that speed against NHL defenders and while it's entirely possible that he doesn't pan out, he's a nice prospect to have and may give us options down the road.

Link to post
Share on other sites

As per Marc Dumont via TA, Ylonen picked up an undisclosed injury in Finland before coming to Laval. Even though it seems that it’s not serious, the team isn’t taking any chances. He'll travel to Cleveland this weekend for a B2B but he’s not expected to play. Not exactly surprising given our injury luck this year :lol:

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

KK with his first AHL goal and an assist in a 5-2 win for the rocket

Less pressure. Hopefully he gains confidence. 

Edited by kinot-2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, campabee82 said:

KK with his first AHL goal and an assist in a 5-2 win for the rocket

Good, even though his goal was an empty netter. Let him put up points and keep him there for the rest of the season, the kid needs to have fun playing hockey again, which clearly he didn't have towards the end up here.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, claremont said:

Positive step Juulsen back in the lineup against Belleville tonight - hope he can string a series of games together with no ill after effects 

Gosh lets hope so. Poor kid has been through it all the last year or so. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Played 18 minutes on the first pairing with Leskinen, let's hope the kid can stay healthy.

Another scary moment when Juulsen was run into the boards from behind but he got up quickly and was okay.

 

Edited by ChiLla
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...