The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Bodes well for us, but Ylonen, Brook, and Poehling had big games again yesterday for us down with Laval. Brook's development really regressed last year, but if he can keep this together for another 10-12 games, there's definitely an opening for him up here. Imaging if MB could swing a trade based around Chiarot for Dunn and then promote Brook:

Romanov-Petry

Dunn-Weber

Kulak-Brook

Edmundson

As for Ylonen, not much room this year barring injury, but if the Habs do decide to move on from the likes of Danault, Tatar, and Armia, there will be spots there for Caufield, Poehling, and Ylonen to fight for. I've said for a long time now that Ylonen could be the surprise underrated prospect in our pool and he's got both the skating and shot to become a strong middle 6 winger for us. Habs could be looking at a top 9 next year without accounting for any additions of

Drouin-Suzuki-Anderson

Toffoli-Kotkaniemi-Caufield

Ylonen-Poehling-Gallagher

9 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Bodes well for us, but Ylonen, Brook, and Poehling had big games again yesterday for us down with Laval. Brook's development really regressed last year, but if he can keep this together for another 10-12 games, there's definitely an opening for him up here. Imaging if MB could swing a trade based around Chiarot for Dunn and then promote Brook:

Romanov-Petry

Dunn-Weber

Kulak-Brook

Edmundson

As for Ylonen, not much room this year barring injury, but if the Habs do decide to move on from the likes of Danault, Tatar, and Armia, there will be spots there for Caufield, Poehling, and Ylonen to fight for. I've said for a long time now that Ylonen could be the surprise underrated prospect in our pool and he's got both the skating and shot to become a strong middle 6 winger for us. Habs could be looking at a top 9 next year without accounting for any additions of

Drouin-Suzuki-Anderson

Toffoli-Kotkaniemi-Caufield

Ylonen-Poehling-Gallagher

I love the prospect enthusiasm. To be successful in today’s cap world, no question every year you need to migrate at least 2 if not 3 prospects into your 4 lines and 3 pairings, and patch thru F/A’s. This year it seems to be Romanov and Evans. Next year Fleury could push Brook. I thought Ylonen played the right side but are you suggesting he can play left? The way Dano, Tatar are playing, the chances of them being resigned are slim. Armia is a maybe for the 4th line. I wonder if Chiarot and Byron could be moved whether prima Dona enigma Laine would be back in play? Interesting that big salary Anthony Mantha has regressed in Detroit as an FYI 

28 minutes ago, claremont said:

I love the prospect enthusiasm. To be successful in today’s cap world, no question every year you need to migrate at least 2 if not 3 prospects into your 4 lines and 3 pairings, and patch thru F/A’s. This year it seems to be Romanov and Evans. Next year Fleury could push Brook. I thought Ylonen played the right side but are you suggesting he can play left? The way Dano, Tatar are playing, the chances of them being resigned are slim. Armia is a maybe for the 4th line. I wonder if Chiarot and Byron could be moved whether prima Dona enigma Laine would be back in play? Interesting that big salary Anthony Mantha has regressed in Detroit as an FYI 

Ylonen is a right winger, but look at our right wing going forward... Anderson signed long-term, Gallagher signed long-term, Caufield, and Ylonen. And that's not including whether we offer Armia a contract nor Toffoli, Lehkonen, and Byron who can play both sides. So something's got to give. I was only putting up one example of how it could look without re-signing the UFA's. Of all our RW's, I'd actually probably prefer to keep Ylonen on the right and move Caufield to the left. Ylonen's game is predicated on speed down the wing and while he has a good shot, Caufield is more of a sniper and probably not the guy you want carrying the puck up ice. So of the two, I'd rather have Ylonen on the side where he can push by defenders and protect the puck on the outside and have Caufield be the guy who can tee up one-timers on his off-wing. But could easily be interchanged...

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/27/2021 at 9:28 PM, BigTed3 said:

So of the two, I'd rather have Ylonen on the side where he can push by defenders and protect the puck on the outside and have Caufield be the guy who can tee up one-timers on his off-wing. But could easily be interchanged...

This makes a lot of sense, given how well Toffoli is doing this season. I read an article on Caufield as well recently, his shooting % had gone up, because they feel he is not trying to beat people one on one as often  more passing, and not wasting a shot in Los scoring area, so if he does not have to worry about carrying  the puck as much it gives him more time to find the quite area for better looks when shooting, there is no one in university hockey who shoots the puck like Caufield, off wrong foot, on the rush etc, just hope it translates to the NHL, I would prefer a line with Caufield, Nick S and Anderson

The Laval Rocket blow a 3-0 lead to the Stockton Heat, who tie it up with 19 seconds left. Laval win in overtime, as Ryan Poehling scores the game winner for his 3rd point of the game.  It appears that Jordan Weal is making a bid to climb back up the depth chart as JW finished with 3 points as well. Poehling & Weal lead the Rocket in scoring, with 10 points each.  Cayden Primeau finished with 25 saves.

3 hours ago, electron58 said:

The Rocket beat the Heat for the 3rd consecutive game, 4-1. Joel Teasdale & Joseph Blandisi lead the way with 2 goals & an assist each. Cayden Primeau with the win.

YEAAAAAAA! 

51 minutes ago, electron58 said:

4rth game in a row, as the Rocket defeat the Heat yet again, this time       4  - 2.  Big game for Jesse Ylonen, 2 goals & 1 assist. Primeau with the win.

Good to see some progression with Ylonen 

2 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Sounds like watching Laval is probably more fun than watching Montreal. :lol:

It's great that they finally have an awesome coach. Bergevin should have been fired just for keeping Lefebvre around as long as he did. That guy destroyed a lot of careers. One of his fox hole buddies. Every day it's getting more obvious what a detriment Therrien  & Lefebvre were, and ultimately,  their boss Bergevin.  And ulti-ultimately, Molson.

30 minutes ago, electron58 said:

It's great that they finally have an awesome coach. Bergevin should have been fired just for keeping Lefebvre around as long as he did. That guy destroyed a lot of careers. One of his fox hole buddies. Every day it's getting more obvious what a detriment Therrien  & Lefebvre were, and ultimately,  their boss Bergevin.  And ulti-ultimately, Molson.

This cannot be overstated.  I dont think an AHL coach makes a player into a star, but i absolutely think someone who needs a little help can have their career tanked vs. becoming a mid-tier NHL player based on the right coach.

5-6 years ago, a player like Josh Brook would probably have been completely wasted. Now, it looks like there's a chance he's back on track & could be an NHL defensman soon. 

1 hour ago, electron58 said:

Well, Molson is the owner so... That's that. But yes, he'll need to strongly consider making a change if we miss the playoffs again this year. The mediocrity has gone on for SO LONG.

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

This cannot be overstated.  I dont think an AHL coach makes a player into a star, but i absolutely think someone who needs a little help can have their career tanked vs. becoming a mid-tier NHL player based on the right coach.

5-6 years ago, a player like Josh Brook would probably have been completely wasted. Now, it looks like there's a chance he's back on track & could be an NHL defensman soon. 

McDonagh is a prime example of not having enough patience with defenseman - he was mediocre coming out of his 3rd year at Wisconsin, then he got traded for Scott Gomez under Gainey. Perhaps the Rangers saw something in McDonagh that we didn't but that was such a horrible trade in retrospect. 

2 minutes ago, claremont said:

McDonagh is a prime example of not having enough patience with defenseman - he was mediocre coming out of his 3rd year at Wisconsin, then he got traded for Scott Gomez under Gainey. Perhaps the Rangers saw something in McDonagh that we didn't but that was such a horrible trade in retrospect. 

One of the worst,  and there have been a few. Let's not forget the draft picks.

1 hour ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Does anyone think Bouchard might get snapped up by an NHL team for head coaching duties this offseason?

Would we want to take a serious look at him getting the job in Montreal?

I think that he likes doing what he is doing on the farm. I think the plan is for Bouchard to become the Habs next coach, and Ducharme,  to move up the executive chain, possibly Asst. GM, or GM, if they can Bergevin. 👍

Another win for the Rocket,  this time 3-1 over the Manitoba Moose. Joseph Blandisi & Joe Teasdale with 2 points each, and Jesse Ylonen with another goal. Michael McNiven with the win.

2 hours ago, electron58 said:

Another win for the Rocket,  this time 3-1 over the Manitoba Moose. Joseph Blandisi & Joe Teasdale with 2 points each, and Jesse Ylonen with another goal. Michael McNiven with the win.

:freu1:

9 hours ago, electron58 said:

A NOT win for the Rocket,  this time a 4-3 loss to the Manitoba Moose. Joseph Blandisi & Joe Teasdale with 2 points each, and Jesse Ylonen with another goal. Michael McNiven with  NOT the win.

Not sure what happened here, but when I looked at the website, it showed the Rocket as 3-1 final winners. Just looked at my home puter, and it shows the Moose scoring 2 goals in the last 32 seconds and then winning in the shootout. Weird. Anyway, McNiven with the loss.

23 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Does anyone think Bouchard might get snapped up by an NHL team for head coaching duties this offseason?

Would we want to take a serious look at him getting the job in Montreal?

21 hours ago, electron58 said:

I think that he likes doing what he is doing on the farm. I think the plan is for Bouchard to become the Habs next coach, and Ducharme,  to move up the executive chain, possibly Asst. GM, or GM, if they can Bergevin. 👍

Obviously its impossible to get into someone else's mind but he seems honest to a fault so I would say its probably fair to take his word at face value.

- He loves helping young players &  those who need assistance in getting their careers back on track.

- He's very close friends with Ducharme and possibly Bergevin. I think he really likes the symbiotic relationship of watching players move up through his system into DD's

- I believe he would think that leaving Laval any time soon would be "unfinished business"

Again, im not saying he wouldnt take an offer elsewhere. I think if the "right" offer came along, he'd take it but i think there would be very very few situations under which he'd leave.   I think Bergevin knows he's doing a great job & will pay him accordingly when his contract is up (this offseason i think?)  Pay him relatively well & i think he stays.  If you lowballed him then I think he might jump ship but i dont think MB would be that dumb. 

The Rocket storm back and beat the Moose 5-3.

Canadian Division

Laval Rocket GP=20  TP=30  Stockton Heat  GP=17 TP=19  Manitoba Moose  GP=19  TP=18  Toronto Marlies  GP=17  TP=17    Belleville Senators  GP=15  TP=10

I'd say that Joel Bouchard is doing a pretty good job. Laval has an exciting team.