The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

1 hour ago, CANADIENS27 said:

How long will it take the French media to notice?  

Maybe about the same amount of time as the owner?   :rolleyes:

Edited by eldag
4 hours ago, CANADIENS27 said:

How long will it take the French media to notice?  

Though she is at the Bell Center wearing a Habs hat obviously supporting her team! If she were on the street giving away her tickets and hat it may be different.

4 minutes ago, FanFromAB said:

She took a lot of undue flack for this photo on twitter. 

It says what most of us are thinking. 

Harsh but true words, but will management get the message? https://www.gohabsgo.com/articles/alexei-kovalev-reveals-two-reasons-why-he-thinks-t/    

Kovy denounced the fact the organization always wants to win in the short term and that each season, the team must make the playoffs. According to him, the organization should instead put a lot more energy on the development of its prospects to build a better long-term lineup rather than adding players for the short term through free agency and trades.

Then, the 44-year-old added that the Canadiens must stop always wanting to prioritize French coaches. Kovalev mentions that regardless of nationality, management should always take the best candidate available and this rule also applies to players. The Russian forward adds that he understands that the Montreal team wishes to preserve it's culture, but he reminds everybody that the first goal is to bring the Stanley Cup to Montreal.

11 hours ago, ThinkOutsidethebox said:

Harsh but true words, but will management get the message? https://www.gohabsgo.com/articles/alexei-kovalev-reveals-two-reasons-why-he-thinks-t/    

Kovy denounced the fact the organization always wants to win in the short term and that each season, the team must make the playoffs. According to him, the organization should instead put a lot more energy on the development of its prospects to build a better long-term lineup rather than adding players for the short term through free agency and trades.

Then, the 44-year-old added that the Canadiens must stop always wanting to prioritize French coaches. Kovalev mentions that regardless of nationality, management should always take the best candidate available and this rule also applies to players. The Russian forward adds that he understands that the Montreal team wishes to preserve it's culture, but he reminds everybody that the first goal is to bring the Stanley Cup to Montreal.

If im not mistaken, the coach always speaks in english to the players, right?  So the only reason he has to be bilingual is to talk to the media (and presumably, the GM). 

28 minutes ago, maas_art said:

If im not mistaken, the coach always speaks in english to the players, right?  So the only reason he has to be bilingual is to talk to the media (and presumably, the GM). 

The coaches speak to the players in English, although presumably, Julien could talk to Danault or Drouin etc. in French if he wanted. But the players are not required to know French and team communication is in English. Furthermore, al the media who cover the team pretty much have a working knowledge of English because without it, they wouldn't be able to talk to many of the players or talk to league execs or travel with the team and do interviews or read NHL press releases etc. The Habs themselves have said they want a French coach so that Quebecois fans can be addressed in their own language and understand what is happening. Hence why you get a translator if needed, NOT why you sacrifice skill/ability to go out and get someone Francophone. The primary job of the coach and GM is not to speak French, it's to acquire good players, develop them well, get the most out of them, have a good system, etc. None of that has anything to do with language. As Kovy said, the goal is a Cup, and as long as language is prioritized, it makes winning a Cup all the more difficult. We don't ask our captain or players to be French, even though they address the media and fans as much as the coach and GM. I don't think anyone feels slighted and wanted to get rid of Kovy, Koivu, Gionta, Subban, Pacioretty, Price, Plekanec, Markov, etc. just because they had to have their interviews translated. We judged those guys based on their on-ice value, and our coach and GM should realistically be hired and judged based on how they do their jobs too. Just imagine if we required all our players to be French. Sure, there are some good francophone players in the league, just as there are good Francophone coaches, but we'd be stupid to be sitting on an asset like Stamkos or McDavid and then trade him for Huberdeau just to get "the best French-speaking player available." I like Huberdeau, I think he's a good player, but there's a difference between being the best and being the best that meets your self-imposed idiotic criteria.

There's a great article here by Andrew Zadarnowski which documents our lack of a truly elite centre for many many years.  Since then its been slim pickin's.  Considering what we've had to deal with recently its hard to imagine that we actually had Turgeon, Damphousse AND Koivu at one point.  

The article makes a strong argument that Koivu in his prime was possibly elite but never had enough support.  Other than him though they've all been 2nd liners at best (pleks, ribs, etc) or worse (Gomez, Linden, DD).

The conclusion:
"History has shown that trading for a centre has been a miss way more often than it has been a hit. Linden and Gomez are two cautionary reminders that acquiring a top line centre is neither easy nor a sure bet, and Vincent Lecavalier could have been added to this list as well if Bob Gainey (or Brian Lawton) had his way.

The Canadiens tried numerous times to draft centre in the first round of the draft, but were usually met with disappointment. Eric Chouinard, Kyle Chipchura, and Louis Leblanc are a few examples that fall in that category. And what to make of Alex Galchenyuk? Where will history place him when all is said and done? Michael McCarron appears to be approaching a supporting role with the Canadiens at best, unless he has a watershed moment in the AHL.

48 minutes ago, maas_art said:

There's a great article here by Andrew Zadarnowski which documents our lack of a truly elite centre for many many years.  Since then its been slim pickin's.  Considering what we've had to deal with recently its hard to imagine that we actually had Turgeon, Damphousse AND Koivu at one point.  

The article makes a strong argument that Koivu in his prime was possibly elite but never had enough support.  Other than him though they've all been 2nd liners at best (pleks, ribs, etc) or worse (Gomez, Linden, DD).

The conclusion:
"History has shown that trading for a centre has been a miss way more often than it has been a hit. Linden and Gomez are two cautionary reminders that acquiring a top line centre is neither easy nor a sure bet, and Vincent Lecavalier could have been added to this list as well if Bob Gainey (or Brian Lawton) had his way.

The Canadiens tried numerous times to draft centre in the first round of the draft, but were usually met with disappointment. Eric Chouinard, Kyle Chipchura, and Louis Leblanc are a few examples that fall in that category. And what to make of Alex Galchenyuk? Where will history place him when all is said and done? Michael McCarron appears to be approaching a supporting role with the Canadiens at best, unless he has a watershed moment in the AHL.

Essentially ever since Saku Koivu wasn’t re-signed in 2009, the Canadiens have failed to find a suitable replacement to be the franchise top line centre. It’s not quite the 25 years that everyone is talking about, because that undercuts Koivu’s massive contribution to the team, but it’s still a sufficient length of time to be concerned."

I saw this too. IMO Koivu was always drastically underrated by the fanbase for the contributions he made to the team. He played in an era when scoring was low and when our team was bad, but if you look at his PPG totals, he's on par with Damphousse, who played in a higher-scoring era for the most part. While age-adjusted data controlled for linemates isn't presented, you have to wonder if Koivu actually out-paced Damphousse and did so during an injury- and cancer-ravaged career.

Look at the top centers in the league now... McDavid, Crosby, Malkin, Tavares, Stamkos, and Bergeron are maybe the top 6. Then below them you have the likes of Mackinnon, Eichel, Kopitar, Seguin, Barkov, Matthews, Toews, Scheifele, Couture, Giroux, and so on... very few of the top centers have ever changed teams. I think that emphasizes three things:

1. If you get the chance to sign a UFA like Tavares still close to prime, you have to be willing to offer big money to him

2. If you're going to deal away key assets like Galchenyuk or Pacioretty or Price or Weber, your best move is to grab a prospect who hasn't hit his prime yet. I spent the past two years advocating a move for Sean Couturier, who's really broken out this year as a two-way star and Selke candidate. I spent the off-season pushing for a trade for a guy like Barzal, who has also broken out. Too late on both counts now. But it's why the ideal move is to go after a player like Sam Steel, Robert Thomas, etc. who has the potential to become a top 6 center, even if they aren't one yet.

3. The best way to find top 6 centers (and top pairing D men) is through the draft. I still like the Galchenyuk pick from 2012 because looking down his draft year, he's still one of the top guys in that cohort and he might have become a good center if we hadn't wasted his prime development years with Michel Therrien's babyish antics. Maybe Poehling works out. But regardless, if we end up with a top 5 pick this year, you kind of hope there's a top end D man or center who is best player available when it's our turn, albeit I wouldn't be disappointed to get Zadina or Tkachuk either.

8 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Don't always agree with Grant McCagg of Recrutes, but he finally has a column I am on board with... this is his article about the failures of Bergevin, Lefebvre, and the rest of the organization to develop its prospects and promote skill over grit:

https://recrutes.ca/grants-rant-time-develop-not-deter/

Bang on

Absolutely bang on!

Only read less than half (so far), and it's completely mind boggling how MB and others still have their jobs!

One of many points:  

... and hold out hope that Cracknell will be the center that comes to Montreal in the future and shows something he has yet to show in his 32 years on this planet…

??????? - that's bad enough and it's not the worst of it!

And another thing (rant, part II):

From article:

"Why would Juulsen not be on the power play in Laval? Is the club that “safe” and conservative that they are afraid he might be on the ice for a shorthanded goal against? I wondered the same thing with Scherbak in Montreal; are they actually that paranoid about a shorthanded goal against? You’d swear it was considered the most egregious thing that could ever happen to an NHL club."

I've never understood the mentality of having a great goalie and then having the team play "perfect" defense because, god forbid, your great goalie shouldn't have to 

stop a few shots. Shouldn't having a great goalie mean you can play a more offensive (dare I say a more creative) game?

(I'm referring to preparing Juulsen and Scherbak, and others, to play on the big club.)

2 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Don't always agree with Grant McCagg of Recrutes, but he finally has a column I am on board with... this is his article about the failures of Bergevin, Lefebvre, and the rest of the organization to develop its prospects and promote skill over grit:

https://recrutes.ca/grants-rant-time-develop-not-deter/

Is it any wonder why the team is sucking the enthusiasm out of me? Heck, they suck the enthusiasm out of their own young players.

2 minutes ago, rocketbelifleur said:

And another thing (rant, part II):

From article:

"Why would Juulsen not be on the power play in Laval? Is the club that “safe” and conservative that they are afraid he might be on the ice for a shorthanded goal against? I wondered the same thing with Scherbak in Montreal; are they actually that paranoid about a shorthanded goal against? You’d swear it was considered the most egregious thing that could ever happen to an NHL club."

I've never understood the mentality of having a great goalie and then having the team play "perfect" defense because, god forbid, your great goalie shouldn't have to 

stop a few shots. Shouldn't having a great goalie mean you can play a more offensive (dare I say a more creative) game?

(I'm referring to preparing Juulsen and Scherbak, and others, to play on the big club.)

The one thing I disagree with McCagg on his statement that Lefebvre did his job initially but is now playing veterans to save his own job. Lefebvre has always done this. Go back and look at the days of Louis Leblanc and how he played on the 4th line while the likes of Mike Blunden and Gabriel Dumont and Nic Tarnasky played scoring lines and the PP. There has been little emphasis on giving young skilled players the chance to develop and more direction towards playing AHL veterans because it's safer. Until this year, the Habs hadn't graduated too many players from the AHL, and it's mainly because there's no focus on growing players and no tolerance of the learning curve.

• H_T_L locked this topic