The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

State of the Habs

3 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

I'm as confused as everyone else.

Sending Scherbak down... Prioritizing the extension for Deslauriers over literally an infinite number of more important things. A strange series of moves. Par for the course for this organization though. The next news I expect to be announced is an extension for Plekanec.

I guess when the inmates are running the asylum, none of us should be surprised. Pacioretty signed for 8 years is probably the next move. 

Scherbak thing isn't a big deal. Roster limits go away after the deadline and he'll be back up immediately. 

Don't get me wrong I think it's dumb to give up even a week of Scherbak playing in the NHL so you don't risk losing Logan Shaw or Byron Froese but it's at least in some way defensible and Froese possibly can get moved for a 6th or something.

4 hours ago, Noob616 said:

Scherbak thing isn't a big deal. Roster limits go away after the deadline and he'll be back up immediately. 

Don't get me wrong I think it's dumb to give up even a week of Scherbak playing in the NHL so you don't risk losing Logan Shaw or Byron Froese but it's at least in some way defensible and Froese possibly can get moved for a 6th or something.

It bothers me for the following reasons:

1. Claude said he would stay up if he played well, so this is either a sign of discordance between CJ and MB or else it's another lie that the team told us and the player. Hard to trust anyone really, and it doesn't help building the team's confidence in management.

2. Scherbak was playing well, which helps his development and likelihood of his being an asset down the line. By dropping him now, who knows if his confidence and level of play will be there in a week or two when he comes back. You risk hurting the development here when things were going well.

3. There is no reason for protecting the journeymen 4th liners we have. Logan Shaw was a waiver wire pick-up. Froese has no value. Eric Fehr just got dealt for a 7th rounder, so that's probably the best we get for Froese too and a 7th rounder has virtually no value. If someone wants him that badly and we lose him via waivers, so be it. Scherbak's development is more important than the small chance we lose out on a 7th round pick.

^^^^

Agreed but im willing to give them the benefit of the doubt on this until after the trade deadline.  If Scherbak is immediately recalled and in the meantime at least one player (who we might have lost on waivers) is dealt - even for a late round pick) then Im ok with the move.  If those things dont happen then its just another case of management being totally clueless about how to manage assets.

2 hours ago, H_T_L said:

Sure. Why not. As long as you don't mind the owner sitting on the player's bench.

21 hours ago, H_T_L said:

Does he know anything about hockey, would he be interested, and could he stand up to the French media.  

On 2/20/2018 at 1:34 PM, Noob616 said:

The kid scores a highlight real goal that is NHL calibre, start to finish...and you reward him by sending him down?  To quote Sunday football analysts:  "Come on, man!"

There has always been an inherent character flaw within player development for the Habs.  We need a guy with a stronger resume calling the shots.  I suggest Julien Brisebois:

https://www.nhl.com/lightning/team/hockey-staff/julien-brisebois

Julien Brisebois has a proven track record of building through the draft.  He built up the Hamilton Bulldogs in the early 2000's and has been Stevie Y's 2nd in command in the building of a winner in Tampa.

6 hours ago, East_Coast_Juggalo_13 said:

Not since Rejean Houle has this team been this bad.

2011-2012 was worse, but at least that felt like a season where everything that could go wrong, did, and the future felt bright with a new GM, #3 draft pick and a quick rebound in sight (and that's exactly what happened). 

Since I started following this team (basically immediately after the Houle era), I've never felt this pessimistic about the team's future. With Price, I wouldn't be shocked to see the team challenge for a playoff spot off and on. But overall this team is bad and things look likely to get worse. The farm team is bad, our best prospect is gone, too much cap space is locked up long-term in declining assets (and the great deals on Pacioretty and Price are about to come to an end), we're likely to lose our best scorer by the end of next season, our few young skilled players appear to have hit a ceiling and are moving in the wrong direction, we don't have a single natural center we can count on for 50 points, etc, etc.  It's hard to see a light at the end of the tunnel here.

8 hours ago, Graeme-1 said:

2011-2012 was worse, but at least that felt like a season where everything that could go wrong, did, and the future felt bright with a new GM, #3 draft pick and a quick rebound in sight (and that's exactly what happened). 

Since I started following this team (basically immediately after the Houle era), I've never felt this pessimistic about the team's future. With Price, I wouldn't be shocked to see the team challenge for a playoff spot off and on. But overall this team is bad and things look likely to get worse. The farm team is bad, our best prospect is gone, too much cap space is locked up long-term in declining assets (and the great deals on Pacioretty and Price are about to come to an end), we're likely to lose our best scorer by the end of next season, our few young skilled players appear to have hit a ceiling and are moving in the wrong direction, we don't have a single natural center we can count on for 50 points, etc, etc.  It's hard to see a light at the end of the tunnel here.

The Player develoment of this club needs to be revamped.  Period.

• H_T_L locked this topic