Jump to content
The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

State of the Habs


Recommended Posts

17 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Was anyone else a little bit peeved by Geoff Molson's recent interview? In it, he says that this season's performance cannot be blamed on Marc Bergevin. He says Bergevin is one of the best evaluators of talent in the NHL, he states that Bergevin built a winning team in Chicago, and he states that the bad season can be blamed on injuries, poor on-ice performance, poor player development, and not having enough players in the pipeline. Well, let's address those issues:

1. If Bergevin is a great evaluator of talent, then how did he end up acquiring the likes of King, Ott, Martinsen, Nesterov, Streit, Schlemko, Benn, Alzner, and so on? How did he deal Subban for Weber and Sergachev for Drouin? Why was he so insistent on drafting McCarron despite TT telling him to look at someone else? Not all of Bergevin's moves have been bad, but by and large, he's been one of the worst evaluators of talent in the league the past few years.

2. Bergevin was an assistant GM in Chicago, not the guy in charge, so how is it that he gets all of the credit for Chicago's success? Bergevin was assistant GM in Chicago from July 2009 until 2012, when he came here. He stepped into that role when the core of the team was already drafted... Keith, Seabrook, Crawford, Bickell, Hjalmarsson, Bolland, Toews, and Kane were all drafted before that. And sure, MB was part of the Hawks organization before he became assistant GM, but he was one of many people and probably not the guy who chose to draft those players. Who were the 1st round choices when MB was aGM? Dylan Olsen. Kevin Hayes. Mark McNeill. No stars there. Not even very good NHLers. The 4 best players drafted in that time were probably Saad, Danault, Shaw, and Kruger. They also drafted Byron Froese. And MB has apparently spent most of his time trying to re-acquire those guys.

3. Can part of the Habs' season be blamed on injuries? Sure. But the truth is that the Habs were really bad even before the injury bug struck. And I've already detailed how other teams have dealt with injuries and had success, whereas every time the Habs under MB and MT have suffered key injuries, they've collapsed. Next.

4. Poor on-ice performance. Well that's performance by the players MB put together as coached by the 2nd coach that MB chose. MB claimed he improved the D. It's statistically the weakest one in the entire league, even when healthy. MB claimed he fixed the center problem with JD. He didn't. The roster is almost entirely players MB has drafted or traded for or signed now, and it's worse than when we had players he inherited. So the on-ice performance can be traced back to MB.

5. Poor player development and not having enough players in the pipeline? Again, that comes down to Bergevin's drafting and his failure to fire Lefebvre despite horrible horrible results and coaching decisions in the AHL for years. If GM's not putting that on Bergevin, then who is he putting it on?

Once again, we're being fed a giant pile of lies from Molson and the Habs. Does he think we're idiots? Does he think we don't recognize that Bergevin IS responsible for all the things he said were not MB's fault? The Habs have taken us for granted and pretend like we're dummies who don't understand the complexity of the game. I think we understand more than we're given credit for and certainly enough to know retaining Bergevin seems to be more about saving money than anything. There's no hockey-related reason to keep him.

Made me sick.

He built a team? in chicago? no he didnt. he built one here and it stinks.....which ties into this evaluator of talent? he's a WHAT?  This team, again, stinks. Unless of course, bergevins evaluation is that it stinks, in which case he sure is bang on the money.  maybe its his PRE evaluation that needs some work. 

And most nauseating of all.....he said something about tampa missing the playoffs last year. oh boy I sure hope we are not internally comparing ourselves to tampa and saying ehhhh same diff right guys?! 

These jokers better be just making what they think are PR statements and have some major changes ready, or Im not spending another 10 cents to watch them.

No wonder we are losers. All I hear from the very top of this organization is straight up delusional loser talk. What other kind of product could we expect

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, jeff33 said:

Made me sick.

He built a team? in chicago? no he didnt. he built one here and it stinks.....which ties into this evaluator of talent? he's a WHAT?  This team, again, stinks. Unless of course, bergevins evaluation is that it stinks, in which case he sure is bang on the money.  maybe its his PRE evaluation that needs some work. 

And most nauseating of all.....he said something about tampa missing the playoffs last year. oh boy I sure hope we are not internally comparing ourselves to tampa and saying ehhhh same diff right guys?! 

These jokers better be just making what they think are PR statements and have some major changes ready, or Im not spending another 10 cents to watch them.

No wonder we are losers. All I hear from the very top of this organization is straight up delusional loser talk. What other kind of product could we expect

That`s the least we can hope for! Otherwise we`re screwed.

Their continued arrogance and contempt for the fan-base is what astounds me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, jeff33 said:

These jokers better be just making what they think are PR statements and have some major changes ready, or Im not spending another 10 cents to watch them.

 

57 minutes ago, Habs=stanleycup said:

That`s the least we can hope for! Otherwise we`re screwed.

Yeah, often i think management types just "say the right thing" like for example Molson not wanting to fire Bergevin mid-season so he'd try to be more vague.  His recent soundbytes certainly make you think he's fully supporting MB but my hope is that the BOG has already decided to move on from MB and this way, Molson can say "sorry Marc, I was outvoted" this summer.   

Grasping at straws but I cannot logically fathom how MB will still be employed despite this horrendous season (and bad ones the 2 years prior). 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, maas_art said:

 

Yeah, often i think management types just "say the right thing" like for example Molson not wanting to fire Bergevin mid-season so he'd try to be more vague.  His recent soundbytes certainly make you think he's fully supporting MB but my hope is that the BOG has already decided to move on from MB and this way, Molson can say "sorry Marc, I was outvoted" this summer.   

Grasping at straws but I cannot logically fathom how MB will still be employed despite this horrendous season (and bad ones the 2 years prior). 

You go back.

1. we were bad but Price won every award imaginable. Should have been a playoff miss by all empirical data.

2. we were bad and Price got hurt and we bombed. solution: downgrade eller and subban to shaw and weber. upgrade by adding radulov

3, we were bad but we had a 10 game winning streak to start the year which we rode to an undeserved playoff berth and got unceremoniously bounced. solution: lose radulov and markov. lose emelin and beaulieu. "replace"  with alzner, hemsky and streit. o_0 . give up sergachev for drouin. 

4. we have at this point given away: eller, subban, markov, radulov, sergachev, beaulieu and emelin and replaced with shaw,weber,alzner, drouin,schlemko.  (remember when molson had that great one about MB being a great evaluator of talent! oh man good times)

And we are a bottom feeder.

Thats 2 outright bombs, and 2 totally undeserved playoff appearances, with only 1 of those a run where we did anything whatsoever......with a roster we then purged and downgraded on badly

This is an F. Fail. Fired. How could it be anything otherwise.  Then again this will forever be the team that required a press conference to explain why they were NOT firing foxhole homeboy number 1, the most sadly tragic thing Ive ever seen, so what should I expect?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, jeff33 said:

4. we have at this point given away: eller, subban, markov, radulov, sergachev, beaulieu and emelin and replaced with shaw,weber,alzner, drouin,schlemko.  

This alone should cost any GM their job

Eller who could've replaced Plekenec.

Subban and Sergachev that could've been your top 2 pair.    Leaving you Petry, Markov,  Juulsun, Mete and Beaulieu for the other 4.

Radulov as your sparkplug. 

With what we gave up .... any decent GM should've gotten that coveted 1C and at least a 1D younger than Weber. 

 Even so look at the lines had we made no changes except Danault and Shaw (2x 2nd rounder for Shaw, Weise/Fleischman for Danault)

Paccioretty - Eller - Radulov

Lehkonen -  Galchenyuk - Gallagher

Hudon - Danault - Sherebek

Byron - Plekenec - Shaw

Subban - Petry

Sergachev - Markov

Mete/Juulsun/Beaulieu/Lernout

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, HabsAlways said:

With what we gave up .... any decent GM should've gotten that coveted 1C and at least a 1D younger than Weber. 

This x10000

I hate that we gave away players like Subban, Eller, Sergachev etc - BUT - I understand that trades happen and players we like sometimes are moved for other players who are better (I loved Kirk Muller but when we had the opportunity to get Pierre Turgeon - of course you trade him!!)  but when you look at that huge list of players we let walk or traded for spare parts, the fact that we still end up with no #1 Centre and our two best defensemen are over 30.. thats pretty brutal.    Had we traded Subban to Nashville for Forsberg AND weber, well thats one thing.  But we downgraded with almost every move MB has made.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

I wonder how Geoff Molson determines who is and isn't a good evaluator of talent.

I think Marc Bergevin advises him who is. Molson has shown he lacks the courage to make any meaningful decisions to help the on-ice product.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, maas_art said:

by the way,  Kerby Rychel: 6g 9p in 10 games for Laval...  would it not make sense to see how he'd look on our squad? You know, with only a handful of games left for this season... 

Why yes it would make sense. Which is why we will continue to use Froese, Deslauriers, and so on.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Maybe they should try Rychel in Galchenyk spot on the power play, only 4 goals in his last 30 games. And 3 of them were in 1 game. The second coming of Jan Bulis :)

We don't have to worry about hs defensive game anymore, we need to be more concerned with his offensive game ..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, caperns61 said:

Maybe they should try Rychel in Galchenyk spot on the power play, only 4 goals in his last 30 games. And 3 of them were in 1 game. The second coming of Jan Bulis :)

We don't have to worry about hs defensive game anymore, we need to be more concerned with his offensive game ..

Galchenyuk actually has 5 goals in his last 27 games... it's not really that much better, but if you look at the entire team, they have just 65 goals in those 27 games as a whole. The entire team is struggling to produce. They have just 2.4 goals a game in that span. Galchenyuk has the 5 goals but 18 points, which means he's been in on one in every 3.6 goals. That's better than most of his teammates.

So sure, he hasn't been producing goals all that well. But he's doing better than a lot of the other guys on the roster and he's 1 away from the team lead for points, so I don't get singling him out. Rychel deserves to get a shot with the team, and it would make sense for us to know what he can do. But Rychel should be in for someone like Froese, Logan Shaw, or Deslauriers. And no, Rychel shouldn't be getting Galchenyuk's ice time or PP time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

So sure, he hasn't been producing goals all that well. But he's doing better than a lot of the other guys on the roster and he's 1 away from the team lead for points, so I don't get singling him out. 

I have no idea why he is constantly getting singled out.    Gallagher has 45 points and Galchenyuk has 44 (both in 74 games) yet Gallagher is having a career year and we should trade Galchenyuk for "whatever we can get."  Its crazy.  Yes, I understand that Gallagher has 10 more goals than Galchenyuk and as such he is having a better year but he also didnt play 1/3 of the season on the 4th line and he has played the entire year in his natural RW position. 

I think both guys have had respectable years, considering the crap-storm of a season we've had but one gets praised & the other singled out.  At this point, if Galchenyuk hasnt asked for a trade, its a miracle. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, maas_art said:

I have no idea why he is constantly getting singled out.    Gallagher has 45 points and Galchenyuk has 44 (both in 74 games) yet Gallagher is having a career year and we should trade Galchenyuk for "whatever we can get."  Its crazy.  Yes, I understand that Gallagher has 10 more goals than Galchenyuk and as such he is having a better year but he also didnt play 1/3 of the season on the 4th line and he has played the entire year in his natural RW position. 

I think both guys have had respectable years, considering the crap-storm of a season we've had but one gets praised & the other singled out.  At this point, if Galchenyuk hasnt asked for a trade, its a miracle. 

:6280:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

I have no idea why he is constantly getting singled out.    Gallagher has 45 points and Galchenyuk has 44 (both in 74 games) yet Gallagher is having a career year and we should trade Galchenyuk for "whatever we can get."  Its crazy.  Yes, I understand that Gallagher has 10 more goals than Galchenyuk and as such he is having a better year but he also didnt play 1/3 of the season on the 4th line and he has played the entire year in his natural RW position. 

I think both guys have had respectable years, considering the crap-storm of a season we've had but one gets praised & the other singled out.  At this point, if Galchenyuk hasnt asked for a trade, its a miracle. 

And to think people fawn over Patches.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, maas_art said:

I have no idea why he is constantly getting singled out.    Gallagher has 45 points and Galchenyuk has 44 (both in 74 games) yet Gallagher is having a career year and we should trade Galchenyuk for "whatever we can get."  Its crazy.  Yes, I understand that Gallagher has 10 more goals than Galchenyuk and as such he is having a better year but he also didnt play 1/3 of the season on the 4th line and he has played the entire year in his natural RW position. 

I think both guys have had respectable years, considering the crap-storm of a season we've had but one gets praised & the other singled out.  At this point, if Galchenyuk hasnt asked for a trade, its a miracle. 

I will tell you why :). Gallagher has a cap hit of 3.75 million, Glachenyk has a cap hit of 4.9 million, Gallagher was picked in the 147th, Galchenyk was picked 3rd overall, surely you would expect more out of a 3rd overall pick compared to a pick at 147th. Not to mention breaking his hand twice. 

NO wayyyyyyyyyy gakchenyk played 1/3 of the season on the 4th line. That is a huggggge exaggeration. 

I can tell you though Gallgher has averaged less time on the ice this season and has played about 37 mins less on the PP then Galchenyk and I will not even get in to the defensive side of the game. Ahh maybe I will Glachenyk - 29 Gallagher - 12....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

http://montrealgazette.com/sports/hockey/nhl/montreal-canadiens/what-the-puck-laughter-helps-us-cope-with-habs-horror-show-season

 

Actually what really made headlines and caused, with good reason, no small amount of chatter was Molson’s thoughts on his general manager.

In an interview with TSN 690’s Mitch Melnick during a St. Patrick’s weekend broadcast from Hurley’s Pub, Molson said a few astonishing things about Bergevin.

“He’s had a lot of success building a successful team in Chicago,” said Molson, which had many of us scratching our heads.

Did he really construct that Stanley Cup-winning team in the Windy City? I always thought maybe, just maybe, Stan Bowman had a bigger hand in that than the assistant GM. But it gets worse.

“I think he’s probably one of the better evaluators of talent out there and he’s somebody who really understands how to build a hockey team,” Molson said in the same interview with Melnick.

Coming at the end of a season in which Bergevin’s team is set to finish within inches of the bottom of the NHL, those are two eye-popping statements. This is the ace evaluator of talent who thought Mark Streit and Ales Hemsky were the solution to the team’s woes. He hired Streit and then fired him after two games! Who does that? And who actually believed Hemsky could help the team? And he knows how to build a hockey team?

Here we are six years into Bergevin’s infamous five-year-plan and his team is in tatters, close to shattered. It’s not just the abysmal season. It’s the lack of prospects. It’s the terrible contracts of Carey Price and Shea Weber that virtually ensure both players can’t be traded.

Then this week, at the general managers meetings in Boca Raton, Fla., Bergevin fuelled the flames of negativity further when he said “I have a vision to deal with the things I liked the least. … But I won’t reveal my plan today in front of everyone.”

So he has a master plan, but he just can’t tell anyone. Really? He has had six years to bring in a plan and, over the course of that time, it’s become increasingly clear that he doesn’t even know how to spell the word “plan” let alone hatch one. Other GMs talk openly about where they want to take their team, but not Bergevin.

And that, in the end, is maybe the saddest part of all this. There is a lack of transparency with this management team. Virtually any other management group in the league is more willing to talk honestly to the media than these guys. They are never open and forthcoming with the media or the public and that has created a poisonous environment around the team.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bergevin's secret super awesome plan, leaked.I got a copy.

1. win the draft lottery

2.sign tavares

3. trade patchy for two 1st rounders, the other teams top C, and their top LD

4. resign plekanec

5.bring in a gritty winger and a hard nosed shot blocking defenceman

guys, Im not trying to be funny. this is really the plan.

1 and 2 are a no.

3 is a no , which gives me this creeping suspicion that no trade leads to max being extended since no one wants to give up the world for him and MB will think its better than moving him for less than perceived vale.

4 and 5 we all know are the bargainbin specialty, its a no brainer

and thats your team next year. exact same garbage. ......no, sorry, everyone is going to have career years. THIS year was the fluke

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, caperns61 said:

I will tell you why :). Gallagher has a cap hit of 3.75 million, Glachenyk has a cap hit of 4.9 million, Gallagher was picked in the 147th, Galchenyk was picked 3rd overall, surely you would expect more out of a 3rd overall pick compared to a pick at 147th. Not to mention breaking his hand twice. 

Im sorry but who cares where a player is drafted?  And how, exactly, does Gallagher having broken his hand have anything to do with saying one has had a great season while the other has not, despite being only 1 point different on the year?  

Quote

NO wayyyyyyyyyy gakchenyk played 1/3 of the season on the 4th line. That is a huggggge exaggeration.

Im sure someone with stats can elaborate but he was playing on the 4th line well into november.  Gallagher, meanwhile never played with linemates as bad as Galchenuk.  I notice you conveniently skipped the part about Gallagher playing his natural RW all season long while AG has bounced between LW and RW even though his best offensive stretches have always come at centre. 

Quote

I can tell you though Gallgher has averaged less time on the ice this season and has played about 37 mins less on the PP then Galchenyk and I will not even get in to the defensive side of the game. Ahh maybe I will Glachenyk - 29 Gallagher - 12....

Come on, seriously?  We're not talking about 20 minutes a game vs 10.  Galcheyuk has averaged 16:04 per game  vs  Gallagher's 15:51  Thats 14 seconds. They basically play the same amount every night.    And yes, AG has more PP time. He has more PP points too, so that is a positive, no?    

And we're really going to discuss +/- with a straight face?    

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, jeff33 said:

Bergevin's secret super awesome plan, leaked.I got a copy.

1. win the draft lottery

2.sign tavares

3. trade patchy for two 1st rounders, the other teams top C, and their top LD

4. resign plekanec

5.bring in a gritty winger and a hard nosed shot blocking defenceman

guys, Im not trying to be funny. this is really the plan.

1 and 2 are a no.

3 is a no , which gives me this creeping suspicion that no trade leads to max being extended since no one wants to give up the world for him and MB will think its better than moving him for less than perceived vale.

4 and 5 we all know are the bargainbin specialty, its a no brainer

and thats your team next year. exact same garbage. ......no, sorry, everyone is going to have career years. THIS year was the fluke

 

Sounds about right :4224:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

+++


And we're really going to discuss +/- with a straight face?    

A tad sarcasm I detect. Forget about the +-

Do you think that Gallagher is better defensively then Galchenyk? Please don't answer if you are going to exaggerate your answer like Galchenyk playing one third of the season on the fourth line 

Oh and by the way he has played around 910 to about 930 minutes 5 on 5,  a quick look,  he has played about 880 minutes with one or both of the following

Gallagher, Pleks, Droiun, Shaw, Patches, Hudon, Danault. Not 4th line players on our team....Whats that about 95 % of his icetime 5 on 5. That does not even include his power play time. 

So when I say you exaggerated his 4 line minutes I realllllly meannnnnnnnn you exaggerated his 4 th line minutes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • H_T_L locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...