The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

State of the Habs

3 hours ago, Regis22 said:

These guys are dillusional, even Price

https://www.tsn.ca/gallagher-no-answers-in-habs-lost-season-1.1051324

But most players believe that the same team returning healthy next year would do much better than this season's squad.

"I'm not worried about the future of this team," said Price. "We just had a bad year.

"A lot of under-achieving performances, myself included. It's disappointing, but next year's a brand new year and we have to go in with the most optimism."

the players sound bites can mostly be ignored ... as professional hockey players they generally don't give much insight into anything or risk being traded.     It's not like Price is going to come out and blame everything on MB or the defencemen etc.

1 hour ago, HabsAlways said:

the players sound bites can mostly be ignored ... as professional hockey players they generally don't give much insight into anything or risk being traded.     It's not like Price is going to come out and blame everything on MB or the defencemen etc.

Actually... I think Carey's actions this season spoke volumes regarding MB or the defense etc. The disconnect with management was obvious IMO. And not only coming from Price. There were a lot of others showing the same.

Bergevin's retort was that they had a bad attitude...the reality was they no longer believe MB's narcissistic leadership.

2 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Good one as well from Danault... "We need another center. We're not stupid, we realize that."

... wait, so the players know it. Does Bergevin?

Of course, but what Danault needs to learn is trading is hard ...

you couldnt have paid me to watch that press conference, I would have puked in my mouth

exactly what you expect from these guys

i come on this message board....i listen to 690....the fans feel the same. this isnt a 2 sided issue. this team is garbage, management refuses to acknowledge it, and if their attitude is legit instead of pr and we do nothing this summer, i hope they play to an empty building next year on their way to another lottery pick

1 hour ago, jeff33 said:

you couldnt have paid me to watch that press conference, I would have puked in my mouth

exactly what you expect from these guys

i come on this message board....i listen to 690....the fans feel the same. this isnt a 2 sided issue. this team is garbage, management refuses to acknowledge it, and if their attitude is legit instead of pr and we do nothing this summer, i hope they play to an empty building next year on their way to another lottery pick

Totally agree, I had less interest in watching that press conference than watching the team play "hockey". It wasn't like Molson or Bergevin was going to come out and say anything insightful or interesting and knew the entire thing would just get on my nerves.

Sounds like we got the typical attitude, grit, winning mentality, injuries, blah blah blah. Not sure if we got a classic 'trading is hard' or not. I'm sure we didn't get a "maybe trading PK - who has more points than any of our FORWARDS - was a mistake". I hate to keep coming back to one trade - sometime trades backfire, it happens - but it just so perfectly encapsulates MB's mindset about how to build a team.

18 hours ago, Habs_Hockey_Nutz said:

Actually... I think Carey's actions this season spoke volumes regarding MB or the defense etc. The disconnect with management was obvious IMO. And not only coming from Price. There were a lot of others showing the same.

Bergevin's retort was that they had a bad attitude...the reality was they no longer believe MB's narcissistic leadership.

How soon does Bergevin start trading these players as a result?  

Interestingly, the two teams most rumoured to be after Pacioretty were Florida and St Louis.  Both teams narrowly missed the playoffs and both would have acquired Patches for (most likely) no one of any substantial value that was currently on their roster. Makes you wonder if either team would have made the playoffs with that deal.  

I am curious if either will push hard to get Patches in the off season now. Florida isnt in as much of a panic with a younger roster but youd have to think St Louis can see their window is closing.

That said, will MB move Pacioretty if, say, we're going after Tavares.   Its got to be a selling point to JT to say "you'll patches on your wing." Not many teams could offer a guaranteed #1C spot and an elite goal scoring LW. 

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

Interestingly, the two teams most rumoured to be after Pacioretty were Florida and St Louis.  Both teams narrowly missed the playoffs and both would have acquired Patches for (most likely) no one of any substantial value that was currently on their roster. Makes you wonder if either team would have made the playoffs with that deal.  

I am curious if either will push hard to get Patches in the off season now. Florida isnt in as much of a panic with a younger roster but youd have to think St Louis can see their window is closing.

That said, will MB move Pacioretty if, say, we're going after Tavares.   Its got to be a selling point to JT to say "you'll patches on your wing." Not many teams could offer a guaranteed #1C spot and an elite goal scoring LW. 

Bigger question would be could we afford both and still go without another center and top 2 D man? Tight squeeze.

3 hours ago, maas_art said:

On a lousy hockey club with a bad attitude . If JT signs with Montreal he's dumber than I thought . Staying in NY is bad , signing here is worse .

New dressing room slogan ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHNG

My assessment of the hockey operation is MB and ALL his staff need to go and same with SL in the AHL

http://montrealgazette.com/sports/hockey/nhl/hockey-inside-out/stu-cowan-the-canadiens-need-a-lot-more-than-an-attitude-adjustment

It was a disappointing season from start to finish and that was unacceptable,” Bergevin said. “The overall attitude of our team needs to change. We will do a complete assessment of the hockey operations and as a general manager I take my share of responsibilities for the season. But we’re all in this together

“I think an attitude changes a lot of things. Of course, players make things better. But if you have good players with the right attitude … I could bring anybody here, but if the attitude is not better we’re going to be in the same spot. And that’s my job to address that and I started today. We had meetings throughout the season, but now the real work starts.”

And to think I was led to believe two years ago that P.K. Subban was the problem in the dressing room. 

All the talk Monday about an attitude problem leads me to believe captain Max Pacioretty won’t be back next season and will be the latest scapegoat after he failed to score 30 goals for the first time in five seasons without ever having a legitimate No. 1 centre.  

Bergevin will be back, and after six years on the job it’s shocking he still has an attitude problem in the dressing room since he’s the one who brought in these players. This is his team.

“Just changing the attitude is not going to be good enough,” Bergevin said. “I just want to make that clear. But bringing other players with the same attitude is not going to be good, either. So we need to start with that and add other pieces to put this back on track.”‘

Hello, sorry for posting this here but I'm looking for some assistance. I'm very new to this forum and wasn't sure how to start a new post/discussion. Looking for help to see if anyone can recognize any of the signatures on this flag. My father picked it up at a yard sale for 50 cents and all the seller knew was that it was from an alumni game. I can recognize Steve Shutt and that's all. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.

20180411_215549.jpg

13 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

New dressing room slogan ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHNG

My assessment of the hockey operation is MB and ALL his staff need to go and same with SL in the AHL

http://montrealgazette.com/sports/hockey/nhl/hockey-inside-out/stu-cowan-the-canadiens-need-a-lot-more-than-an-attitude-adjustment

It was a disappointing season from start to finish and that was unacceptable,” Bergevin said. “The overall attitude of our team needs to change. We will do a complete assessment of the hockey operations and as a general manager I take my share of responsibilities for the season. But we’re all in this together

“I think an attitude changes a lot of things. Of course, players make things better. But if you have good players with the right attitude … I could bring anybody here, but if the attitude is not better we’re going to be in the same spot. And that’s my job to address that and I started today. We had meetings throughout the season, but now the real work starts.”

And to think I was led to believe two years ago that P.K. Subban was the problem in the dressing room. 

All the talk Monday about an attitude problem leads me to believe captain Max Pacioretty won’t be back next season and will be the latest scapegoat after he failed to score 30 goals for the first time in five seasons without ever having a legitimate No. 1 centre.  

Bergevin will be back, and after six years on the job it’s shocking he still has an attitude problem in the dressing room since he’s the one who brought in these players. This is his team.

“Just changing the attitude is not going to be good enough,” Bergevin said. “I just want to make that clear. But bringing other players with the same attitude is not going to be good, either. So we need to start with that and add other pieces to put this back on track.”‘

No wait, I'm willing to bet that Max WILL be back, because he publicly stated that he loves Montreal and doesn't want to be traded. That statement in itself is an obvious change of attitude in Bergevin's eyes, which therefore will certainly change him into a better player. ;)

15 minutes ago, AyrHabsFan said:

Hello, sorry for posting this here but I'm looking for some assistance. I'm very new to this forum and wasn't sure how to start a new post/discussion. Looking for help to see if anyone can recognize any of the signatures on this flag. My father picked it up at a yard sale for 50 cents and all the seller knew was that it was from an alumni game. I can recognize Steve Shutt and that's all. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.

20180411_215549.jpg

Top : Maybe Sylvain Lefebvre  , Steve Shutt, Guy Carbonneau , ?

Bottom ?, ?, ?, Rick Green

19 minutes ago, Habs=stanleycup said:

HIO Show

Exactly.  He starts of the presser saying he's as much to blame and then spends the rest of it blaming the players.   If the attitude was wrong from day one, why didnt you fix it Marc? Only you can trade players. 

4 hours ago, habs1952 said:

I wonder, will any of the players demand a trade?

Interesting question. I kind of doubt many of them would. Maybe if we have another bad year next year.   I think guys like Patches and Galchenyuk would be well within their rights but i dont think either would.

Funnily enough the two guys who would probably be most likely to want out are 2 of the 4 people MB said are 'untouchable' - weber and price.  You have to think either would love a real chance at a cup and have to see our window as already closed.  But who knows.   Petry seemed to genuinely believe it when he said he thought our team was good enough to win, we just had a bad year. 

29 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Interesting question. I kind of doubt many of them would. Maybe if we have another bad year next year.   I think guys like Patches and Galchenyuk would be well within their rights but i dont think either would.

Funnily enough the two guys who would probably be most likely to want out are 2 of the 4 people MB said are 'untouchable' - weber and price.  You have to think either would love a real chance at a cup and have to see our window as already closed.  But who knows.   Petry seemed to genuinely believe it when he said he thought our team was good enough to win, we just had a bad year. 

Hopefully those two will be gone along with Pacioretty. Personally I've had enough of those three towing the party line for this management. We need new blood and new leadership IMO.

Regardless though, with our current GM still in place I'm sure he'll manage to screw it all up.

Love this piece from an article 

Several years of the Canadiens weeding out “risky” defencemen — P.K. Subban for example — has led to a blue line that makes more mistakes and doesn’t generate any offence, and the whole team has suffered as a result.

That’s not to say that a legitimate No. 1 centre wouldn’t have helped. There’s no doubt it would have been a boon for head coach Claude Julien, but the fact is until the Canadiens fix their blue line, not even Oilers star Connor McDavid could save this team. That’s solely the responsibility of Bergevin.

29 minutes ago, HabsAlways said:

Love this piece from an article 

Several years of the Canadiens weeding out “risky” defencemen — P.K. Subban for example — has led to a blue line that makes more mistakes and doesn’t generate any offence, and the whole team has suffered as a result.

That’s not to say that a legitimate No. 1 centre wouldn’t have helped. There’s no doubt it would have been a boon for head coach Claude Julien, but the fact is until the Canadiens fix their blue line, not even Oilers star Connor McDavid could save this team. That’s solely the responsibility of Bergevin.

Agreed. The Subban trade was the beginning of the end for this team. We still feel the impact to this day.

10 hours ago, Habs=stanleycup said:

Agreed. The Subban trade was the beginning of the end for this team. We still feel the impact to this day.

I think you're right. It will be looked back on like the Roy trade--a move that hamstrung the team, setting them back for years to come.

• H_T_L locked this topic