The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

State of the Habs

2 hours ago, Regis22 said:

Pick your 3 rd line C

Lars Eller @ 30 OR Plekanec 36 yrs of age

Caps signed Lars to a 5 year deal,,,,so I guess it's Pleks.  :(

There's a daily radio show called TSN Overdrive with Bryan Hayes, Jamie Mclennan , Jeff Oneill and today's guest was Dave Poulin.

They were pretty much in agreement that CP has to be great , not good, not better than last year , but great for the Habs to have success.

Poulin  said  the Habs don't have a legitimate NHL Centre and the rest of the team is a mish mash of players that don't fit together properly

^^^

Well, I don't think we can expect Price to be great. Or, well... great enough to carry the team. Unfortunately, his contract says he should, but I'm doubtful he'll live up to being the highest paid goaltender of all time.

I will say, pundits often get it wrong. We were "Stanley Cup contenders" before 2017-2018 started... So much for that assumption. We're likely to be bad again if we don't make changes, but I don't believe in the drama of saying "we have NO NHL centers." We're missing top-six NHL centers. And perhaps Drouin or Galchenyuk can still be a number 2. We do need to sign Tavares or make a trade, though. No doubt about that. All signs point to Max getting traded. Let's see what Bergevin can do.

I actually am of the opinion Price will be great again.  Goaltending is a game of inches and after a few weeks of horrible play I think Price totally lost his confidence and it was unlikely to come back (despite the occasional great game).  I think this year he will start off well again.  

I think his season will depend a lot on who is in front of him though.  IF we can get a top LD to play with Weber and Petry-Mete is a thing, I think there's decent hope in the top 4.   I wish our bottom pairing was Reilly-Juulsen but i think we may have to suffer through more Alzner/Schlemko unless MB has identified them as a problem like every other person seems have. 

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

I actually am of the opinion Price will be great again.  Goaltending is a game of inches and after a few weeks of horrible play I think Price totally lost his confidence and it was unlikely to come back (despite the occasional great game).  I think this year he will start off well again.  

I think his season will depend a lot on who is in front of him though.  IF we can get a top LD to play with Weber and Petry-Mete is a thing, I think there's decent hope in the top 4.   I wish our bottom pairing was Reilly-Juulsen but i think we may have to suffer through more Alzner/Schlemko unless MB has identified them as a problem like every other person seems have. 

I think Price was smart enough to know the team was poorly constructed. I just feel like he wasn't "dialed-in" for that reason.

You're right, our success depends on the people Bergevin can get in front of him. We'll see how it plays out over the next few months. However, if October rolls around and we have no major addition on D, we'll likely be about as poor as we were this season.

18 hours ago, Regis22 said:

Poulin  said  the Habs don't have a legitimate NHL Centre and the rest of the team is a mish mash of players that don't fit together properly

Poulin is wrong.  Danault is a legitimate NHL centre - he'd make every roster in the league but on most he'd be #3-4.  We have had him routinely at 1 or 2 which is a problem. We have options for #4 too.  What we severely lack is anything above them. Thats for sure. 

What Poulin is bang-on right about is how the team has been put together. Mish Mash is totally the best way to describe it.  We have a lot of talent in certain areas but are completely lacking in others.   As many of us have said, this is not the 2000-1 habs. We have talent. We just dont have guys that can play together and can fill the huge holes we have all over the roster. 

And what's worse is that these problems have gotten worse in the 6 years MB has constructed (deconstructed?) this team. 

Two interesting interviews with former Habs left in the playoffs:

- first Lars Eller reiterates what he's said previously, which is that he feels Washington has given him more stability and identity in terms of a role. He says that in Montreal, he was shifted around the line-up continuously and never given direction in terms of what the team wanted him to do (i.e. basically saying Therrien was not a good coach)

- And now JF Chaumont reports that Joe Morrow is saying that he regrets putting too much confidence in Claude Julien, having known him before. Morrow says he thought he would get more of an opportunity but that every time he had a bad game, he felt he was back in the pressbox. Morrow also stated that he doesn't understand Bergevin's comment about the players having a bad attitude. He says Bergevin was rarely in the dressing room, didn't take any time to know the players on a personal level, and probably couldn't tell you more than 2-3 things about each guy. He adds that he thought Bergevin's comments were just a GM trying to pass the blame on and protect his own job. Ouch!

All that being said, Morrow then tweeted that his comments were being given a negative twist, although he doesn't really deny saying what he said. Chaumont stands by what he reported and said there was absolutely no mis-quoting going on here. Some have come to Julien's defence and pointed out that Morrow actually got more ice time per game here than at any other point in his career, but the part about Bergevin just playing scapegoat with his players rings pretty true. And you can bet if Morrow feels that, then other players are going to feel the same amount of anger and disgust with Bergevin for being blamed for a poorly-assembled team. In the words of Brian Wilde, the team didn't lose because of a bad attitude, they lost because they didn't have the same talent as the opposition. And that's on Bergevin to fix.

So once again, we're hearing the same old same old from ex-players and media... that management (GM and coaching) really seems to be at the root of the problem.

And MB remains the GM - I think this team is going to suck for a while until they get rid of him . The Team has been worse year after year since MB took over . I don't have a lot of confidence in him being able to reconstruct the team . MB doesn't appear to be able to build an NHL team suited to the way the game is being played . He relies too much on CP 31 and grit , character and the new word of the day  " attitude " .

2 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Two interesting interviews with former Habs left in the playoffs:

- first Lars Eller reiterates what he's said previously, which is that he feels Washington has given him more stability and identity in terms of a role. He says that in Montreal, he was shifted around the line-up continuously and never given direction in terms of what the team wanted him to do (i.e. basically saying Therrien was not a good coach)

- And now JF Chaumont reports that Joe Morrow is saying that he regrets putting too much confidence in Claude Julien, having known him before. Morrow says he thought he would get more of an opportunity but that every time he had a bad game, he felt he was back in the pressbox. Morrow also stated that he doesn't understand Bergevin's comment about the players having a bad attitude. He says Bergevin was rarely in the dressing room, didn't take any time to know the players on a personal level, and probably couldn't tell you more than 2-3 things about each guy. He adds that he thought Bergevin's comments were just a GM trying to pass the blame on and protect his own job. Ouch!

All that being said, Morrow then tweeted that his comments were being given a negative twist, although he doesn't really deny saying what he said. Chaumont stands by what he reported and said there was absolutely no mis-quoting going on here. Some have come to Julien's defence and pointed out that Morrow actually got more ice time per game here than at any other point in his career, but the part about Bergevin just playing scapegoat with his players rings pretty true. And you can bet if Morrow feels that, then other players are going to feel the same amount of anger and disgust with Bergevin for being blamed for a poorly-assembled team. In the words of Brian Wilde, the team didn't lose because of a bad attitude, they lost because they didn't have the same talent as the opposition. And that's on Bergevin to fix.

So once again, we're hearing the same old same old from ex-players and media... that management (GM and coaching) really seems to be at the root of the problem.

Proof yet again of Bergevin's power tripping and micro-managing of the coaching staff.

Quote from Morrow:

I have no regrets for signing a contract with the Canadiens. But I made a mistake and it was to believe that I was to get all the chances possible with a coach I knew in Claude. I trusted Claude too much, I thought he was too much to help me. I was finally a defender like the others. I played good games, but as soon as I had a bad game, it was over. I went back to the stands.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ca/nhl/news/winnipeg-jets-joe-morrow-quote-claude-julien-montreal-canadiens-contract-boston-bruins/18n0xbj4g070o1uhq1oxb6sp8z

4 minutes ago, Habs=stanleycup said:

Quote from Morrow:

I have no regrets for signing a contract with the Canadiens. But I made a mistake and it was to believe that I was to get all the chances possible with a coach I knew in Claude. I trusted Claude too much, I thought he was too much to help me. I was finally a defender like the others. I played good games, but as soon as I had a bad game, it was over. I went back to the stands.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ca/nhl/news/winnipeg-jets-joe-morrow-quote-claude-julien-montreal-canadiens-contract-boston-bruins/18n0xbj4g070o1uhq1oxb6sp8z

Wait, Morrow played good games for us?  I can remember some good plays - and he was definitely one of the best skaters on our blueline - but I dont remember a single game where i thought he looked really good for 60 minutes. 

2 hours ago, maas_art said:

Wait, Morrow played good games for us?  I can remember some good plays - and he was definitely one of the best skaters on our blueline - but I dont remember a single game where i thought he looked really good for 60 minutes. 

Right, Morrow just wasn't very good for us, and while he may have believed he was going to get more playing time, you can't say Claude gave him any less ice time than he earned through his play. But I find the Bergevin comment much more telling, with respect to a player saying he doesn't approve of that type of comment and feels it's a GM passing the buck. As I said, even if he's an ex-player, you can bet current players are going to have the same if not stronger sentiment about being blamed by the GM for the team's failures without taking any responsibility himself, despite the fact he made major gaffes. We also know certain players were upset that MB let Markov and Radulov walk and that he didn't use the cap space all season or go out and find a 1C. Players have talked about this. Danault was on record just a few weeks ago saying the players weren't idiots and they knew they needed another center; this coming from a guy who's most likely to be downgraded by that type of acquisition. The players know. They know Bergevin has done a terrible job. Hard not to think after these Morrow comments that the players are fed up with Bergevin and don't have much motivation to play for him.

Discussion on elite NHL D men . This is one reason why Montreal stinks, that and they don't a real Centre (s)

http://torontosun.com/sports/hockey/nhl/elite-nhl-defencemen-are-rare-breed/wcm/ce090ab8-4233-446c-b0ca-a213973acf45

You almost always have to draft your true No. 1 defenceman

Teams usually don’t trade true No. 1s with the exception of Shea Weber for P.K. Subban in 2016...............................unless your GM is dumb :)

There may only be 10 true No. 1’s in the league

There’s Doughty, Hedman, Karlsson, Oliver-Ekman Larsson in Arizona, Ryan Suter in Minnesota, Roman Josi and Subban in Nashville, Alex Pietrangleo in St. Louis and the fast-rising Seth Jones in Columbus.

There’s true No. 1’s to some but not others because they don’t check all the boxes (PP and PK, for instance), like Brent Burns in San Jose, Dustin Byfuglien in Winnipeg, John Klingberg in Dallas, John Carlson in Washington, Kris Letang in Pittsburgh.

Or others like Mark Giordano do both but don’t get universal love.

The jury’s out on Weber because injuries are starting to hinder him and his mobility isn’t as strong as it used to be

25 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

Discussion on elite NHL D men . This is one reason why Montreal stinks, that and they don't a real Centre (s)

http://torontosun.com/sports/hockey/nhl/elite-nhl-defencemen-are-rare-breed/wcm/ce090ab8-4233-446c-b0ca-a213973acf45

You almost always have to draft your true No. 1 defenceman

Teams usually don’t trade true No. 1s with the exception of Shea Weber for P.K. Subban in 2016...............................unless your GM is dumb :)

There may only be 10 true No. 1’s in the league

There’s Doughty, Hedman, Karlsson, Oliver-Ekman Larsson in Arizona, Ryan Suter in Minnesota, Roman Josi and Subban in Nashville, Alex Pietrangleo in St. Louis and the fast-rising Seth Jones in Columbus.

There’s true No. 1’s to some but not others because they don’t check all the boxes (PP and PK, for instance), like Brent Burns in San Jose, Dustin Byfuglien in Winnipeg, John Klingberg in Dallas, John Carlson in Washington, Kris Letang in Pittsburgh.

Or others like Mark Giordano do both but don’t get universal love.

The jury’s out on Weber because injuries are starting to hinder him and his mobility isn’t as strong as it used to be

This is my personal list, off the top of my head, of the top D men in the league:

1. Karlsson

2. Subban

3. Hedman

4. Doughty

5. Seth Jones

6. Josi

7. Suter

8. Pietrangelo

9. Ekman-Larsson

10. Burns

11. Dougie Hamilton

12. Carlson

13. Rielly

14. Weber

15. McAvoy

16. Dumba

17. Werenski

18. Byfuglien

19. Giordano

20. Vlasic

21. Krug

22. Gostisbehere

23. McDonagh

24. Ekholm

25. Letang

26. Ellis

27. Trouba

28. Klingberg

29. Barrie

30. Ekblad

31. Parayko

... those are, I guess, my 31 #1 defencemen by definition. That said, the top 8-9 guys really stand out as being a clear tier above the rest. I also think there are several younger guys who are knocking down the door to get onto this list and will be there within a year or two: Hanifin, Sergachev, Provorov, Slavin, Nate Schmidt, Theodore, Montour, etc. And there are guys who are very close to being on this list right now: Petry is one of them, but also players like Faulk, Lindholm, Brodie, Ristolainen, Gardiner, and so on.

So yes, I do think Weber is still a #1 defenceman in the league, because there simply aren't 31 guys who are better than him. But agreed that the drop-off from the top 5 guys down is there and from 9 down is there again... Weber is several tiers below Subban and Doughty and Hedman. There are also players lower on the list that I would deal Weber for 1-for-1, even if Weber is currently better, just because getting the younger, cheaper asset is a big boon. I'd take Sergachev or McAvoy or Hanifin or Dumba or Werenski over Wever in a trade, simply because those guys can be stars for you for 5-10 years, whereas Weber is on the downslope of his career.

Good article about which further changes are needed to make us competitors and finally Stanley Cup Champions:

What the Puck: Canadiens need bigger changes, new blueprint for glory

http://montrealgazette.com/sports/hockey/nhl/hockey-inside-out/what-the-puck-canadiens-need-bigger-changes-new-blueprint-for-glory

1 hour ago, Habs=stanleycup said:

Good article about which further changes are needed to make us competitors and finally Stanley Cup Champions:

What the Puck: Canadiens need bigger changes, new blueprint for glory

http://montrealgazette.com/sports/hockey/nhl/hockey-inside-out/what-the-puck-canadiens-need-bigger-changes-new-blueprint-for-glory

Seems bang on, to me. :)

Stephane Waite did an interview on French radio today where he talked about the ovation Price got at the end of the season... he said "Price appears to be disconnected sometimes but he was crying after that ovation. He really felt that the fans didn't love him any more. I told him to think of the 95% of fans who do love him and not the 5% who don't."

You have to feel Max is going through that same feeling right now. And yes, fans will support the good stuff and rip players for their shortcomings, but easy to forget sometimes the human aspect behind the players. I wonder if Carey's play was really negatively affected by the fans booing him at times this year. Maybe he was more non-chalant because he really wasn't into playing for the fans. Waite also stated that he and Carey might have skipped some steps last year because they took for granted Carey had the experience and didn't need to work on some things he had previously mastered. He says that won't happen again.

On 5/23/2018 at 6:31 PM, BigTed3 said:

Stephane Waite did an interview on French radio today where he talked about the ovation Price got at the end of the season... he said "Price appears to be disconnected sometimes but he was crying after that ovation. He really felt that the fans didn't love him any more. I told him to think of the 95% of fans who do love him and not the 5% who don't."

This is interesting because MB said something similar in his press conference.  

Price has always come across "cool as a cucumber in a bowl of hot sauce," but i get the sense that deep down he's not always the most confident guy.  I hope he can turn it around. I think its not a great idea to pay your goalie as much as we did but i do think he's probably got lots left in the tank if the stuff going on between his ears is resolved. 

I think Price has a lot of integrity and this contract won't make it any easier. But when the fans start booing its hard to misread the message and even harder to show up every night when things aren't going your way. I think Carey responds with a great year but there are a lot of former Habs that just couldn't refocus and failed to survive.

Pierre LeBrun: "Bill Daly says the current projection for the salary cap is around $80 million, up $5 million from this season; however the NHL still needs to negotiate the growth factor with the NHLPA later in June so there's no hard number quite yet."

If John Tavares hits the open market on July 1it will give Canadiens general manager Marc Bergevin even more money to throw at the star center. 

If Tavares stays in New York, the Canadiens will still have more money to grab whoever they want on the market, and if the Habs can't get anything off the free agent market, they'll have more cap space to take on big contracts through trade. 

16 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

Pierre LeBrun: "Bill Daly says the current projection for the salary cap is around $80 million, up $5 million from this season; however the NHL still needs to negotiate the growth factor with the NHLPA later in June so there's no hard number quite yet."

If John Tavares hits the open market on July 1it will give Canadiens general manager Marc Bergevin even more money to throw at the star center. 

If Tavares stays in New York, the Canadiens will still have more money to grab whoever they want on the market, and if the Habs can't get anything off the free agent market, they'll have more cap space to take on big contracts through trade. 

Or more money to sit on throughout the year and do nothing with. You know, whatever.

Just now, BigTed3 said:

Or more money to sit on throughout the year and do nothing with. You know, whatever.

I still actually think he sat on that money thinking "I can get so many rentals at deadline time" I dont think he realized for a minute we'd be sellers at that point. 

• H_T_L locked this topic