The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

State of the Habs

2 minutes ago, maas_art said:

I still actually think he sat on that money thinking "I can get so many rentals at deadline time" I dont think he realized for a minute we'd be sellers at that point. 

Sure, but that made it a bad plan.

On 5/29/2018 at 3:37 PM, kinot-2 said:

Pierre LeBrun: "Bill Daly says the current projection for the salary cap is around $80 million, up $5 million from this season; however the NHL still needs to negotiate the growth factor with the NHLPA later in June so there's no hard number quite yet."

If John Tavares hits the open market on July 1it will give Canadiens general manager Marc Bergevin even more money to throw at the star center. 

If Tavares stays in New York, the Canadiens will still have more money to grab whoever they want on the market, and if the Habs can't get anything off the free agent market, they'll have more cap space to take on big contracts through trade. 

It also gives every other team more money to throw at JT.

Valiet re-signed today.   1 year deal, two way.  There were rumours he may go to Russia but his agent said that was never a consideration.

I do like the kid. I think he's still go the chance to be a top 4 and should be a lock for #5-6.     Its funny, our defense looks so bad but in reality we're only 1 player away from being decent.

True 1st pairing:  Weber

True 2nd Pairing:  Petry
Possible 2nd Pairing:  Mete, Juulsen 

Third Pairing:   Reilly,  Valiet, Benn

Probably should not be with the team:  Alzner  Schlemko

------ Weber
Mete - Petry
Reilly/Valient - Juulsen
Benn

So our biggest move is to make an addition by subtracting - taking Schlalzner out of the lineup.  That moves better, younger, cheaper players up the roster and really leaves us with only 1 hole.  Put a guy who is actually suited for that #1LD role and this defense is worlds better than last year.  Obviouslyt that in itself will be a big test for MB.  Can he turn one of our surplus of LW into a #1PM LHD ? 

I have a feeling Schlemko will be waived.   Alzner im not so sure about (maybe MB will try to trade him) but possibly with the addition of Ducharme we might see Alzner's game improve too. He wasnt always terrible, he just looks lost most nights. 

13 minutes ago, Habs=stanleycup said:

The success of Devante Smith-Pelly and Lars Eller in these playoffs just underline everything that is wrong with Habs culture.

http://montrealgazette.com/sports/hockey/nhl/montreal-canadiens/what-the-puck-a-look-at-the-habs-this-week

Thank you MB!

Mr. Molson please give your head a shake!

Its a good article. 

The team has missed the playoffs nine times out of 24 (there were no playoffs in 2005 due to the lock-out). As you know, zero Cup wins since ’93. But, more significantly, zero appearances in the Stanley Cup final. Only two conference final appearances, one of which — 2010 — I think we can safely call a fluke. In other words, Habs are smack in the bottom six or seven teams in the league over that period in terms of playoff success.

There is something wrong with the team’s culture. Why is it that only goalies have won individual trophies of note since ’93? Yeah, I know there’s one exception, a Norris-trophy-winning fellow named P.K. As soon as he rose above the crowd, he was summarily tossed out of town. Why is it that we can’t have a player who’s in the league’s top-10 for scoring?

41 minutes ago, CANADIENS27 said:

I wonder if anyone told Bergevin a lot of skilled players hate to lose.  

Doesn't matter what any of us fans think, what the media thinks, what hockey experts think. Bergevin has become arrogant and intransigent thanks to Molson empowering him.

44 minutes ago, CANADIENS27 said:

I wonder if anyone told Bergevin a lot of skilled players hate to lose.  

You know, honestly, I bet you 95% of all players 'hate to lose.'    Sure there are some guys who are just there for a paycheck but it is VERY few and far between. Ribiero was notoriously accused of this by many  - he had all world skill and never did anything more than required (with his skillset I bet you if he had the work ethic of a grinder he would have been a 100 point player) but this is not the norm.

The average guy wants to win, hates to lose but because they may not show it on their faces old school guys like MB see it as a problem.  PK bled bleu blanc et rouge and yet because he would clear his head and tell a joke after a loss he clearly didnt "hate losing."  its ridiculous.     Has MB ever read "the game" by Ken Dryden?   Possibly the greatest team in nhl history and those guys knew how to have a laugh. 

18 hours ago, maas_art said:

You know, honestly, I bet you 95% of all players 'hate to lose.'    Sure there are some guys who are just there for a paycheck but it is VERY few and far between. Ribiero was notoriously accused of this by many  - he had all world skill and never did anything more than required (with his skillset I bet you if he had the work ethic of a grinder he would have been a 100 point player) but this is not the norm.

The average guy wants to win, hates to lose but because they may not show it on their faces old school guys like MB see it as a problem.  PK bled bleu blanc et rouge and yet because he would clear his head and tell a joke after a loss he clearly didnt "hate losing."  its ridiculous.     Has MB ever read "the game" by Ken Dryden?   Possibly the greatest team in nhl history and those guys knew how to have a laugh. 

I would, however, guess that at different points in a player's career his work ethic is different. We always look to reduce a player's commitment to "committed" or "not committed." It probably varies on any given night, really.

I've often thought about how manager's might sign a veteran player and say, "He's got Cup experience. He's been there. He's won a Cup before," and I wonder if that is a bonus or a negative for the new team. Is it possible a player who has won the Cup might be less inclined to bust his butt in the future because he's already got one?

Anyway. Tangent. My bad.

20 hours ago, Habs=stanleycup said:

Doesn't matter what any of us fans think, what the media thinks, what hockey experts think. Bergevin has become arrogant and intransigent thanks to Molson empowering him.

That's why someone should come up with a poll on who we like as owner.  

34 minutes ago, CANADIENS27 said:

That's why someone should come up with a poll on who we like as owner.  

Not much good that would do if Molson refuses to sell. He is convinced that Bergevin is the answer to our team's problems. Not much we can do except to wait for it to play out and to blow up in their faces, and in our collective faces as well unfortunately.

I didn't know this. Talk about throwing away draft picks

http://montrealgazette.com/sports/hockey/nhl/hockey-inside-out/steve-ludzik-jr-left-mark-on-the-canadiens-during-his-short-tenure

The 2016 has been a source of frustration for many fans because the Canadiens sent two second-round picks — Nos. 39 and 45 — to Chicago in return for Andrew Shaw. It has been noted that the trade deprived the Canadians of an opportunity to grab Shawinigan defenceman Samuel Girard, who went 47th overall to Nashville.

41 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

I didn't know this. Talk about throwing away draft picks

http://montrealgazette.com/sports/hockey/nhl/hockey-inside-out/steve-ludzik-jr-left-mark-on-the-canadiens-during-his-short-tenure

The 2016 has been a source of frustration for many fans because the Canadiens sent two second-round picks — Nos. 39 and 45 — to Chicago in return for Andrew Shaw. It has been noted that the trade deprived the Canadians of an opportunity to grab Shawinigan defenceman Samuel Girard, who went 47th overall to Nashville.

I think Timmins himself has indicated that had we kept the picks, he was looking at selecting Alex DeBrincat and Samuel Girard (which isn't to say Bergevin would have agreed), and he stated this before either one of them really broke out this year, so it's not just hindsight... so yes, even forgetting the Eller trade, acquiring Shaw for those two guys wasn't worth it.

6 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

I think Timmins himself has indicated that had we kept the picks, he was looking at selecting Alex DeBrincat and Samuel Girard (which isn't to say Bergevin would have agreed), and he stated this before either one of them really broke out this year, so it's not just hindsight... so yes, even forgetting the Eller trade, acquiring Shaw for those two guys wasn't worth it.

Imagine how badly they would have been handled in our system though. 

6 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Imagine how badly they would have been handled in our system though. 

Definitely makes you wonder. I'd see those two as being similar to a Hudon and a Mete though, so I think they might have had a chance, but the issue I could have seen happening would have been the team thinking they had to decide between Hudon and DeBrincat and decide between Mete and Girard. I think they'd still have believed we needed a Schlemko and Alzner to complement Girard even if he were here, and then Mete would still be in the minors.

On 6/8/2018 at 7:55 PM, maas_art said:

The Canadiens dynasty from 1956-60 had plenty of laughs, with Geoffrion and Harvey around.

On 6/8/2018 at 4:55 PM, maas_art said:

I would say most players care about #1 the money, #2a the fit for their family, #2b the fit for them, and #3 about winning.

I think a big part of Vegas' unexpected success this year was having fun. 

3 minutes ago, Windoe said:

I would say most players care about #1 the money, #2a the fit for their family, #2b the fit for them, and #3 about winning.

I think a big part of Vegas' unexpected success this year was having fun. 

I would disagree with that. Everything has a price tag, but money is just one factor... I don't know where everyone here works and lives, but say someone offered you a 10% raise to move to a city somewhere else in North America where you had no friends or family and whereby you had to move your kids to a new school and make them start their lives over. Let's say you really enjoy the lifestyle afforded you by living in a city like Vancouver or Montreal and then someone offered you 10% more to live in Phoenix or Raleigh. Say you had spent your entire life living in the Southern States and then someone offered you more money to move to the cold in Edmonton or Minnesota. Say you were 28 or 30 years old and potentially signing a 7 year deal to take you through your remaining peak years... would you go somewhere you had no chance of winning a Cup just to get a bit more money? I likely wouldn't move in a lot of those situations, and sure, everyone is different and sure for some people, money is more important. But to me, the difference in money would have to be really really significant to give up you preferred choice of location or a chance at winning the ultimate prize that you worked your whole life to achieve.

11 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

I would disagree with that. Everything has a price tag, but money is just one factor... I don't know where everyone here works and lives, but say someone offered you a 10% raise to move to a city somewhere else in North America where you had no friends or family and whereby you had to move your kids to a new school and make them start their lives over. Let's say you really enjoy the lifestyle afforded you by living in a city like Vancouver or Montreal and then someone offered you 10% more to live in Phoenix or Raleigh. Say you had spent your entire life living in the Southern States and then someone offered you more money to move to the cold in Edmonton or Minnesota. Say you were 28 or 30 years old and potentially signing a 7 year deal to take you through your remaining peak years... would you go somewhere you had no chance of winning a Cup just to get a bit more money? I likely wouldn't move in a lot of those situations, and sure, everyone is different and sure for some people, money is more important. But to me, the difference in money would have to be really really significant to give up you preferred choice of location or a chance at winning the ultimate prize that you worked your whole life to achieve.

Very well spoken... Kudos !

• H_T_L locked this topic