The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

State of the Habs

34 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

I agree, I think there's some regret about Max as captain, and he's struggled to handle the pressure of that role (hence why PK was much better suited to deal with it)... I'm not sold on either Weber or Gallagher as captain either to be honest though. Weber isn't really that vocal and he falls into the same grouping as Pacioretty of being a somewhat boring, toe-the-line player who isn't really going to get his teammates or fans motivated. This team needs a serious energy boost and kick in the butt. Gallagher certainly provides that element, but on the other hand, I find him to be quite immature personality-wise. The game where he went soldiering on after PK seemed childish and not very captain-like. So I agree with you that the team might want one of those two guys, but I don't think either one is going to right the ship all that much. I'd personally like to see them go with a guy like Danault... a little bit younger but he's a guy who could be in your organization for another 5-7 years, he gives a consistent and honest effort every night, he's shown maturity, and while he can give you some offence and a lift every now and then, he's not a guy who's going to take heat if he goes two games without scoring a goal because that's not his primary role. I also think it would behoove us to find a captain who isn't going to be traded in two years and force some stability in the leadership group.

I dont disagree with any of this reasoning but my guess is, if Patches gets traded, odds are:

- Weber: 50%
- Gallagher: 30%
- Drouin: 20%

I dont see Danault even getting consideration (although he should).  

Of course we also dont know who will be on our roster opening night.  Maybe John Tavares will be our next captain ;) lol. 

44 minutes ago, maas_art said:

I dont disagree with any of this reasoning but my guess is, if Patches gets traded, odds are:

Of course we also dont know who will be on our roster opening night.  Maybe John Tavares will be our next captain ;) lol. 

I don't think Danault will get much consideration either, although I see Drouin getting none too. I'd rank Weber and Gallagher as near equal favorites, with Shaw or a returning Plekanec maybe given slight but non-significant consideration too.

7 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

I agree, I think there's some regret about Max as captain, and he's struggled to handle the pressure of that role (hence why PK was much better suited to deal with it)... I'm not sold on either Weber or Gallagher as captain either to be honest though. Weber isn't really that vocal and he falls into the same grouping as Pacioretty of being a somewhat boring, toe-the-line player who isn't really going to get his teammates or fans motivated. This team needs a serious energy boost and kick in the butt. Gallagher certainly provides that element, but on the other hand, I find him to be quite immature personality-wise. The game where he went soldiering on after PK seemed childish and not very captain-like. So I agree with you that the team might want one of those two guys, but I don't think either one is going to right the ship all that much. I'd personally like to see them go with a guy like Danault... a little bit younger but he's a guy who could be in your organization for another 5-7 years, he gives a consistent and honest effort every night, he's shown maturity, and while he can give you some offence and a lift every now and then, he's not a guy who's going to take heat if he goes two games without scoring a goal because that's not his primary role. I also think it would behoove us to find a captain who isn't going to be traded in two years and force some stability in the leadership group.

Pleky when he re-signs for 6 years?

7 hours ago, maas_art said:

I think the first part of this is mostly right, but that seems way too high for Drouin. I'd probably go:

- Weber: 40%

- No Captain: 25%

- Gallagher: 20%

- Other Player On Roster: 10%

- Other Player Not On Roster: 5%

Just now, Graeme-1 said:

I think the first part of this is mostly right, but that seems way too high for Drouin. I'd probably go:

- Weber: 40%

- No Captain: 25%

- Gallagher: 20%

- Other Player On Roster: 10%

- Other Player Not On Roster: 5%

Not on Roster at end of last season I mean ... although I wouldn't count out MB giving the captaincy to himself.

Weber or no one.

Gallagher as captain would be IMO the absolute worst of all captains in the history of the Habs

In a side note < the Habs will be a REALLY bad hockey club next year . Even bad clubs sometimes have a young star to look forward to . Montreal has nothing

11 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

Weber or no one.

Gallagher as captain would be IMO the absolute worst of all captains in the history of the Habs

In a side note < the Habs will be a REALLY bad hockey club next year . Even bad clubs sometimes have a young star to look forward to . Montreal has nothing

Killjoy. Lol.

So this is where we are after the draft:

- Up front, we've dealt Galchenyuk for Domi but failed to trade Pacioretty, which essentially leaves us in the same position of having lots of left wingers and nothing down the middle, only with fewer goals to count on. Pacioretty, Drouin, Domi, Hudon, Lehkonen, Scherbak, Byron, etc... lots of guys who could be in the top 9 on the wing and no one to play with them down the middle. So other than hoping Pacioretty regains his form, our forward group actually looks worse this year than last year. Kotkaniemi and Poehling may be coming in a year or two but for now, there are still no top 6 centers and huge problems with the construct of the forward bunch.

- The defence also looks like it's in shambles. You have Weber and Petry on the right, who are of good quality, but they're guys you want if you're competing for a playoff spot and Cup. They're not guys who are going to be top-tier players in 3-4 years and I'm not sure we have the roster to compete right now, what with the holes at center and left D. Mete and Juulsen are the only guys who give hope as future top 4 D men, and then the rest are bottom pairing hopefuls (Valiev, Rielly, Lernout, Benn, etc.) and guys who probably shouldn't be in the NHL any more (Schlemko and Alzner). Lots of work to be done here too.

- In net, the banking is once again on whether Carey can regain his form. As I pondered about before, Carey having a young baby at home and seemingly being preoccupied or distracted by family life could be one reason his head wasn't fully in it last year (and yes, he looked disinterested and distracted on many nights). Well now his wife is pregnant and due in the middle of the season, which I can't see helping him get any rest or keeping focus. Maybe there were other issues we don't know about, but hoping for Carey to be a top 3 goalie in the league is not a great plan.

- So all in all, no guaranteed NHL-ready players from the draft, no real hope at getting a UFA that's going to dramatically turn this team around, and a trade market that looks expensive and not moving much right now. Bergevin's got a lot of work to do, and I just don't think he has the ability to turn this roster into a true top 5-10 team in the league to challenge for a Cup. So with that, how can you not try to trade Price and Weber and work on a plan to make yourself good when Poehling-Kotkaniemi are ready? That absolutely has to be the new plan. Nothing else really makes sense right now, and if you're bad enough next year, there's a shot at Jack Hughes or at a few of the other really talented centers/wingers who can maybe step right in and help your rebuild too.

Today was an interesting day.

We could have taken a player at 3rd overall (Zadina, possibly Tkachuk etc) that were ready to step into the lineup next year.  But we didnt. We took the best prospect available at centre - one who Timmins seems to think will be looked at as one the top players from the draft - but a guy who almost certainly wont play for at least 1 year, possibly 2.  A number of our 2nd round picks went this way too, taking guys who look to be long-term projects, when there were others who were possible a year more ready.   This is not a criticism.  If you believe that your second round draft pick will one day be a top pairing dman - but it will take 3 years for him to get there - and you believe that the higher ranked guy who is still available will only be a #3-4 guy at best, its definitely not a bad idea to take the longer project... but it is a bit surprising for MB. Considering how bad we were last year and that many think he's on thin ice.   

But what happens now? Are we really going into a rebuild or retool? If so, shouldnt we be shopping Weber?  Petry? Price? Patches is apparently being offered up but what about guys like Byron and 

This team has a good nucleus.  In 2 years time we will have Lehkonen (25) Hudon (26) Drouin (26) Domi (26), Danault (28), Gallagher (29) Mete (20) Juulsen (21)  Lindgren (27)   

add in guys like Kotkaniemi, Ryan Poehling, Olafsson, Ikonen and some of the new guys we've drafted or signed & who knows.

but shouldnt the goal right now be to turn (at the very least) Patches, Weber and Petry into assets? 

3 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

So with that, how can you not try to trade Price and Weber and work on a plan to make yourself good when Poehling-Kotkaniemi are ready? That absolutely has to be the new plan. Nothing else really makes sense right now, and if you're bad enough next year, there's a shot at Jack Hughes or at a few of the other really talented centers/wingers who can maybe step right in and help your rebuild too.

Haha, great minds. 

From Adam Proteau on the Habs' off-season outlook:

https://mynhltraderumors.com/montreal-canadiens-free-agency-outlook/2018/06/24/

"But the reality of the situation in Montreal is that the Habs are a team that, for every step forward, seems to dance one-and-a-half steps back. With each trade that involved Galchenyuk, Sergachev and Subban, the better player has exited Montreal - and all in the name of "character" and "chemistry"?"

33 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

"But the reality of the situation in Montreal is that the Habs are a team that, for every step forward, seems to dance one-and-a-half steps back. With each trade that involved Galchenyuk, Sergachev and Subban, the better player has exited Montreal - and all in the name of "character" and "chemistry"?"

I get the idea that we need to get some production, but am not ready to give up on some of our veterans yet. Carey used to be off the charts and now he literally is and is in need of a fresh start this season. I think that is why Niemi is here fpr coumselling and hopefully he returns to form. We have definitely created a void with Alzner and he needs to play a top four role. If not we may need to sacrifice a forward or two (other than Patches) to get a #4. If Juulsen and Mete can fill in a #3 -4 role we are mangeable, but highly susceptible to injury Ironically Jerabek and some other former Habs are available for a price and we do have 2 Chzek players who may fill a role.

I think the second half  of the year shows Drouin can be a top 2 centre, but after that there is some issues.  Bergevin has been eager to make moves but has been put in a bad position by a lack of depth on defense and injuries.  A trade involving Karlson and Pacioretty would be acceptable to me as it would stabilise our D into the near future.

Until fans start voting with their wallets, nothing will change. I’ve been on the season ticket waiting list for 9 years and am awaiting the email that my 20 game package in the Reds is available for the upcoming season. After seeing what atrocities Bergevin and Molson have committed, I’ve decided to Not make the purchase. Unfortunately my decision won’t matter as there are literally thousands on the list who will scoop my spot. 

I live 3 hours away and usually spend the night at the Marriott during game nights. Add in dinner, breakfast, parking, refreshments, souvenirs, etc, my total spend (including 2 tickets) is in the $1000-1,200 range per game. Multiply that by 20 and you can see it’s a pretty decent commitment. Molson’s decision to stand by his foxhole buddy also affects the local economy. If only more fans would boycott games, Maybe he would get the message (huge maybe).........,.

With that said, my bank account gonna look a lot healthier over the next several years. Just need to figure out a way to hide from my wife’s swimming pool aspirations. Haha

1 hour ago, Canine64 said:

Until fans start voting with their wallets, nothing will change. I’ve been on the season ticket waiting list for 9 years and am awaiting the email that my 20 game package in the Reds is available for the upcoming season. After seeing what atrocities Bergevin and Molson have committed, I’ve decided to Not make the purchase. Unfortunately my decision won’t matter as there are literally thousands on the list who will scoop my spot. 

I live 3 hours away and usually spend the night at the Marriott during game nights. Add in dinner, breakfast, parking, refreshments, souvenirs, etc, my total spend (including 2 tickets) is in the $1000-1,200 range per game. Multiply that by 20 and you can see it’s a pretty decent commitment. Molson’s decision to stand by his foxhole buddy also affects the local economy. If only more fans would boycott games, Maybe he would get the message (huge maybe).........,.

With that said, my bank account gonna look a lot healthier over the next several years. Just need to figure out a way to hide from my wife’s swimming pool aspirations. Haha

I personally am watching to see how the Detroit, NYI  and Chicago story lines play out next year.  I’m getting rid of cable and the pointless RDS.  Detoit did exactly what I was hoping MTL would do.  I’ll be in my room, on my PS4 playing my expansion Nordiques in franchise mode.  Even they have better centres than Montreal currently.  

14 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Bergevin is doing the Limbo dance. Every year the Habs bar is getting lower and lower. We're pretty much at rock bottom now.

2 hours ago, habs1952 said:

Bergevin is doing the Limbo dance. Every year the Habs bar is getting lower and lower. We're pretty much at rock bottom now.

Danault - Plekanec - DLR - Froese   

Your 2018-2019 Montreal Canadiens opening night centres.  

Rock.

Bottom.  

12 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Our literal best case scenario is... what? Stastny, Plekanec, Danault, and De La Rose.That's pretty bad.

Probably yes.

However, Im hopeful that with the selection of JK, the aversion to trading high picks and the fact that we are not in on JT, MB will actually begin a rebuild.  So maybe - just maybe - Pacioretty can be traded for a young centre that is ready to step onto an NHL roster.  He'll be unproven but he'll get a shot.  

I wouldnt actually be surprised to see Domi tried at #2 C and it wouldnt be a ridiculous idea to try him alongside drouin back at his natural wing.  I could actually see those 2 working quite well together.  Not sure who the other winger would be. Carr might be an interesting choice. 

There's a lot of ways this summer could go. I just hope, whatever happens, MB doesnt mortgage the future. He's already messed up this roster badly at this point.  If we can turn players like Pacioretty, Alzner and Schlmeko into young prospects or picks, i'll be very happy.   I think its asking too much to expect him to move Weber, Price etc even though its logically the way to go. 

• H_T_L locked this topic