The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

State of the Habs

12 minutes ago, Habberwacky said:

Something up with Carr I thought he would get qualified today.

More ridiculous asset management. 

Never given a real chance.  Still manages to score  14g and 34 points in 94 nhl games thats .36ppg for a guy who barely ever played outside the bottom 6. 

94 14 20 34

57 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

I think most of us expected Carr to NOT be qualified. His use in the organization seemed to indicate he wasn't favored by the coaching staff and management. I'm half surprised they qualified McCarron.

Can’t have enough big slow non gritty guys compared to real talent.

Carr had no drive.:banana_dancing:

3 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

I think most of us expected Carr to NOT be qualified. His use in the organization seemed to indicate he wasn't favored by the coaching staff and management. I'm half surprised they qualified McCarron.

im actually surprised they didnt qualify him.  

I agree he's been completely mismanaged for ages (which is funny because I do think MT liked him) but i thought we'd do our typical thing of giving him crap linemates and assignments and then when he has zero value trade him for a 7th rounder or 'character 4th liner" at the deadline and watch him light it up in with a new market....

Good article by Dave Collins suggesting that Calvin De Haan would be our best option for UFA dmen.   He makes a hundred times more sense than Jack Johnson and will probably come cheaper & for less term.

https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2018/6/26/17499574/calvin-de-haan-2018-free-agency-target-left-handed-defenceman-ld-new-york-islanders-stats

DeHaaan-Weber
Mete-Petry
Relly/Alzner-Juulsen

Still not great, but a world better than what we saw last year. 

i think De Haan will find someone willing to give him 4-5 years at 4-5M per year. He's only 27, so that type of deal isn't the end of the world, but do we really need that? I'd say no. Given the paucity of D men, I really feel like someone might bite on Schlemko as a trade option, and I'd prefer to use Reilly, Valiev, Juulsen, or one of those new Czech guys ahead of giving out a long-term deal.

10 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

i think De Haan will find someone willing to give him 4-5 years at 4-5M per year. He's only 27, so that type of deal isn't the end of the world, but do we really need that? I'd say no. Given the paucity of D men, I really feel like someone might bite on Schlemko as a trade option, and I'd prefer to use Reilly, Valiev, Juulsen, or one of those new Czech guys ahead of giving out a long-term deal.

I agree with you even though we don't know much about the Czechs yet. That said, I have this gut-wrenching feeling that says MB still believes in his selections of Shlemko and Alzner for another year at least. I wouldn't be surprised to see Schlemko slotted in with Shea Weber as was (I think) the plan last year with Alzner-Petry as the second pairing.

32 minutes ago, 26NCounting said:

Saw Andrew Shaw last week and he is still walking with a Cane, not sure he will be ready for pre season.  What a waste of cash signing him, yet another display of MB brilliance

It's incredibly telling that Andrew Shaw (a player who plateaued at 39 points) is our third highest paid forward. He very well may become our second highest paid forward if we succeed in moving Max. How can a team possibly hope to become successful when this is where you are spending your cap dollars?

4 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

It's incredibly telling that Andrew Shaw (a player who plateaued at 39 points) is our third highest paid forward. He very well may become our second highest paid forward if we succeed in moving Max. How can a team possibly hope to become successful when this is where you are spending your cap dollars?

Yeah. Its not so much that he's overpaid (I mean he is but not vastly - he'd probably make that kind of coin on any team that had signed him) but more that we just dont have very good forwards.   On Pittsburgh shaw would be the 7th highest paid. 

Looks like it will be that way for a while though because, you know, trades are hard. 

55 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Yeah. Its not so much that he's overpaid (I mean he is but not vastly - he'd probably make that kind of coin on any team that had signed him) but more that we just dont have very good forwards.   On Pittsburgh shaw would be the 7th highest paid. 

Looks like it will be that way for a while though because, you know, trades are hard. 

Boy oh boy, you're telling me. Trades are VERY, VERY hard. That MB almost made a trade during draft weekend is a miracle.

3 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Boy oh boy, you're telling me. Trades are VERY, VERY hard. That MB almost made a trade during draft weekend is a miracle.

The problem is that it was too short of a timeframe.  To get it all done in a few hours? no.   He needs a day in his head. 

We needed to win the draft lottery and select Dahlin to plug our 1D hole but that didn't happen, AND we needed to land Tavares to plug our 1C hole and that won't be happening.

Since those both did not happen, the state of the Habs is rebuilding.

We're farther from the playoffs than we've been in a long time, but we're also closer to the Stanley Cup than we've been in a long time.

As much as I love seeing Price in the Habs jersey he should be moved, send him to NYI for Walstrom.  Man JT would surely sign there and give us a great young player we can build around.  We can only hope Webber as much as I like him retires in the next 2 or 3 years then the cap hit goes back to Nashville.

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

Evaluation camp opened in Brossard today.

Young prospects were given T-shirts with the slogan 'attitude is everything' on the back.

Wow. Problem solved i guess. 

So petty of Bergevin and the Habs to put that on the shirts. But proves once and for all that Bergevin places no value on skill and everything on attitude, character, and grit.

• H_T_L locked this topic