The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

State of the Habs

19 minutes ago, Noob616 said:

One of the funniest things that's ever happened to this team is binning the "No Excuses" sign after the foxhole speech lmao

Lol, agreed.  You could not have written something better than that.

7 hours ago, maas_art said:

After this 'attitude' thing doesnt pan out (just like 'grit' an 'character' and 'no excuses' didnt),  coupled with the large crop of smallish players we drafted this year, i fully expect next year's t-shirts to read:

"Size doesn't matter." 

Comedy gold Jerry.

Looking forward to this dysfunctional team playing worse than last year thanks to Bergevin. No first, nor any second line centers. Same old defense as last year. MMW we'll be playing Drouin out of position as a center once again plus bringing back an 'attitude' guy back in Plekanec. What a disaster.

4 minutes ago, Habs=stanleycup said:

........ plus bringing back an 'attitude' guy back in Plekanec. What a disaster.

Im looking forward to the signing .

MB will give us the old, he's a veteran , with character, positive attitude and will provide leadership to the young players . Meanwhile he'll be lucky to score 10 goals

2 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

I also enjoyed Bergevin's whole "I want players who hate to lose" speech, even though nobody hated to lose more than PK and Price is still here telling fans to chill out cause it's just a game.

Have you heard MB use  the " If your 5 minutes early , your 15 minutes late " line ?

Pretty underwhelming presser, lots of rather 'soft' questions by the media reps IMO.

MB still refuses to talk about a rebuild.

Neither Stastny nor Tavares wanted to play in Montreal, we didn't make their list.

No news on Pacioretty. MB contacted De Haan's agent, lots of factors to consider (term).

Peca was signed to play in the NHL, we're apparently taking a gamble on him.

2 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

So... trade deadline goals: Ensure we have turned Max Pacioretty, Tomas Plekanec, Paul Byron, and Jordie Benn into prospects and picks.

Weber, Price, Niemi, Alzner, Schlemko, Shaw....Julien, Bergevin.....Youppi......The room the answers are in......

I guess copying Chicago's method of winning didn't pan out , so now we're going to try Toronto's. Problem with that MB is you keep trading your prospects ( PK, Sergachev, AG )or don't develop them properly

http://montrealgazette.com/sports/hockey/nhl/hockey-inside-out/canadiens-gm-marc-bergevin-remains-optimistic-about-teams-future

After striking out with free-agent centres John Tavares and Paul Stastny and settling for Tomas Plekanec (again) on Sunday, Canadiens general manager Marc Bergevin spoke about a bright future for the Canadiens.

“Honestly, taking all of this week for me, since the last 10 days, I think what (assistant GM Trevor Timmins) did with his staff with the 11 picks (at the NHL Draft) and the kids we have coming through the pipe, I’m very excited about the future of the Montreal Canadiens,” Bergevin said when he met with the media Sunday afternoon in Brossard. “Next year, as we speak today, we have I believe nine picks (at the NHL Draft). I’m not going to sacrifice the future, long-term for the Montreal Canadiens, for a short-term fix.”

For now, the short-term fix is Plekanec, who agreed to a one-year contract that could be worth as much as US$3.5 million with bonuses after the Canadiens traded the 35-year-old centre to the Toronto Maple Leafs at the NHL trade deadline last season.

Tavares, the biggest free agent on the market Sunday, signed a seven-year, US$77-million contract with the Toronto Maple Leafs, while Stastny signed a three-year, US$19.5-million deal with the Vegas Golden Knights.

“If you look on paper, what happened in Toronto, John Tavares chose Toronto,” Bergevin said. “If you look at their core of guys which is Auston Matthews, first pick overall (at the 2016 NHL Draft), (Mitch) Marner, I think he was fifth overall (it was actually fourth at the 2015 NHL Draft), (Nazem) Kadri, seventh overall (in 2009), (Morgan) Rielly, fourth or fifth overall (fifth in 2012). They had these picks that they (had) home-grown to get to the point where John Tavares decided to go there. I’m not sure if five years ago John Tavares would have picked Toronto. So we have to look at how they got there and there’s no other way around. You need to draft, you need to bring these young kids. Five first-round picks in the top 10.”

Can't make a trade and can't sign free agents and no I am not talking stock piling 3rd and 4th liners LOL. May as well not worry about cap space anymore. It could be 100 million cap space remaining and he wouldn't be able to sign a janitor to clean the Bell Centre....

36 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

So we have to look at how they got there and there’s no other way around. You need to draft, you need to bring these young kids. Five first-round picks in the top 10.”

They sucked for half a century!!!

• H_T_L locked this topic