The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

State of the Habs

After the Tavares signing , local radio station interviewed Wedel Clark about the Toronto captaincy .  Clark said a captain has to be able to throw himself under the bus before his team mates .

Reminded me of the time PK blue a tire against Colorado and the rush back ended up in a goal against the Habs . MT blamed the individualistic effort of one teammate . Meanwhile Max on the back check did nothing .

In response to  MT , Max said nothing .

8 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

After the Tavares signing , local radio station interviewed Wedel Clark about the Toronto captaincy .  Clark said a captain has to be able to throw himself under the bus before his team mates .

Reminded me of the time PK blue a tire against Colorado and the rush back ended up in a goal against the Habs . MT blamed the individualistic effort of one teammate . Meanwhile Max on the back check did nothing .

In response to  MT , Max said nothing .

I agree to a point but when have you ever seen a captain speaking out against the coach in favour of one of his teammates?   

I dont know what Max should have done in that situation publicly.  The smart thing would have been to go to MB and say "listen, MT cant talk trash about individual players" but who knows, maybe he did. 

I don't know if dreamt this or I actually read it somewhere , but there was a situation in the dressing room where MT was laying into a certain player , just letting him have it , so much so that CP stood up and said enough, stop .

http://montrealgazette.com/sports/hockey/nhl/montreal-canadiens/what-the-puck-canadiens-should-bypass-pricey-ufas-and-focus-on-remake?video_autoplay=true

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results.”

Of course, that’s not really the definition of insanity, and it’s far from clear that Albert Einstein actually uttered those words, but it is a great quote.

Here we are six years into the Marc Bergevin experiment and the results are in. He has taken this team precisely nowhere. I actually saw someone argue this week on social media that Bergevin is, in fact, not a failure as Canadiens general manager because the team had the No. 3 overall NHL draft pick this year just like it had the No. 3 overall pick in 2012 when Bergevin first took over as GM.

That is a ridiculous argument. When president Geoff Molson appointed Bergevin GM in May 2012, the Habs were indeed in terrible shape, with the team finishing last that season in the division and in the conference. That team had been run into the ground by the inane management of the last couple of years under Bob Gainey and the even more inane management of Gainey’s successor, Pierre Gauthier.

So Bergevin has done as poorly with the team as Gauthier, universally regarded as a disaster of a GM for Montreal. Bravo! That’s a real success — not!

The bottom line is that the Habs and Bergevin should not bother with the free-agent market this weekend and rather should focus on building from within. They also should do everything possible to trade the two big expensive win-now guys they have in Price and Shea Weber.

Much was made of the secret Bergevin plan, and obviously it was built around superstar unrestricted-free-agent-to-be John Tavares and the notion that Bergevin had an in on the Tavares sweepstakes because Tavares’ agent, Pat Brisson, played hockey in the Sud-Ouest borough as a kid with Bergevin. That imaginary house of cards came tumbling down this week when Tavares refused to even take a call from Habs management, making it clear that he has no interest in signing with a basement-dwelling team.

The worst thing is it’s obvious that Bergevin is not in rebuild mode. And when the team crashes and burns next season, as it will, my fearless prediction is that the latest Bergevin excuse will be that the Canadiens are in rebuild mode, which is why the team flunked out again.

Then comes news this week that the team printed T-shirts for the recruits with the slogan: “ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING”, a reference to Bergevin’s post-season excuse this year that the team sucked because some of the players had a bad attitude. This is managing as if you’re in a cartoon. It’s not even PlayStation. It’s a B-list comic-book version of hockey. So  I’m not holding my breath that there really is some great plan for success.

21 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

I don't know if dreamt this or I actually read it somewhere , but there was a situation in the dressing room where MT was laying into a certain player , just letting him have it , so much so that CP stood up and said enough, stop .

Could totally see that happening in the locker room.  But in the media?   The coach was way out of line to call out a player by name. It would be equally bad for the Captain to rag on the coach. 

The problem is that the GM and the Coach were "foxhole buddys" so...

1 hour ago, Regis22 said:

For what it’s worth, I vaguely remember hearing something like this, as well. I can’t remember when, though. 

On 7/3/2018 at 9:54 PM, Regis22 said:

For a team with no real  # 1 or # 2 C the signing of the over the hill TP  has created a log jam

https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2018/7/3/17530940/tomas-plekanec-return-montreal-canadiens-free-agency-laval-rocket-roster

As we stand right now, the four centres on opening night seem to be Phillip Danault, Jonathan Drouin, Plekanec, and Matthew Peca. Peca was signed to a one-way contract and Marc Bergevin has said he expects him to be an NHL player next year. That means that Byron Froese, Michael McCarron, and Jacob de la Rose are out of a spot down the middle. To make matters even more complicated, all of them will require waivers if they should go to the American Hockey League.

That doesn’t even factor in other forwards who will require waivers like Nikita Scherbak, Rychel, and Nicolas Deslauriers

It could end up being a game of musical chairs, but there are still several months before the music will stop

This is why I was against the resigning of TP  .

See, the most frustrating part of all this is not only that none of them are top 2 line centres, but more importantly, why the hell did we sign Deslauriers mid-season?  Was Bergevin pretending we were never gonna resign Plekanec or what?

The move by itself doesn't really cost us much, but it clearly shows the lack of anything thinking.  It's so damn point less.

9 hours ago, maas_art said:

In fairness, he's only just entering his seventh year but he's only really been messing things up royally for the last 3-4. 

By the time this next season is over Hab fans will be chanting "WE'RE 31!!!, WE'RE 31!!!

13 hours ago, Kadoch said:

As long as Molson keeps buying the BS Bergevin is feeding him, there is no hope. The time has come to stop going to the games (we have done it in the past). You will see how fast changes will be made. In my opinion and most Habs fans, Bergevin is the worst GM in the history of the Canadians. I personally think he surpassed Rejean Houle in that category. take a look at his draft selections in the last 5 years. and then look at his trades. you will understand why we are in this position.   

You are correct & congrats on your first post.

seems to me that the worst part of it is that no-one (of any real status) is willing to come to Montreal, seems only 3rd/4th line players are willing, but they have lesser of a choice.

does this mean that the good/better players are not willing to play under MB?

i have heard the Canadian market is not friendly (tax-wise), and yet J.T. and others have gone to Canadian markets, and as said, they can make up for losses by doing tire commercials .. so is it just that this man (MB) is just simply too hard to work with?

I still believe (even though he (MB) has enough NHL experience), he has never really accomplished anything through out his own career, with the exception of staying in the NHL for a (very) decent amount of time. maybe not a fair analysis, but in this case, I`ll stick to my guns.

Questions that still remain are

Why get rid of Galchenyuk before giving him a season at center?

Why Plekanic, unless only for teaching purposes? 

Why are we the only team (that could buy ourselves a new one), that cannot seem to get a signature on paper for any decent players?

why are we still one of the lowest scoring teams year after year?, for how many one-goal game wins does Montreal have even after gaining top position in the division?

what the bleep happened to the defense after last year?

why do we still only have 1 true first line player?

more questions rise, but all to do with the past, and all to do with the Molson/ Bergevin regime.

last question .. when are we going to get better?, and I mean really better, not biting your fingernails until the very end, because we secured just another one-goal game?

and I know there is youth upcoming, but although I appreciate shots on goals and scoring chances, .. I like when they score a little better.

2 hours ago, RuudNuij said:

seems to me that the worst part of it is that no-one (of any real status) is willing to come to Montreal, seems only 3rd/4th line players are willing, but they have lesser of a choice.

does this mean that the good/better players are not willing to play under MB?

i have heard the Canadian market is not friendly (tax-wise), and yet J.T. and others have gone to Canadian markets, and as said, they can make up for losses by doing tire commercials .. so is it just that this man (MB) is just simply too hard to work with?

Montreal and Toronto are similar regarding taxes, I do believe. JT obviously felt that Toronto was prepared for immediate success. That Montreal wasn't even considered says a lot about what JT's camp thinks about our future prospects.

If it hasn't already, I think that MB's poor managerial decisions will eventually start to haunt him. Is Tavares friends with Subban? I wonder if they've ever had a conversation about playing in Montreal and Montreal's current management team... :mellow:

53 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Montreal and Toronto are similar regarding taxes, I do believe. JT obviously felt that Toronto was prepared for immediate success. That Montreal wasn't even considered says a lot about what JT's camp thinks about our future prospects.

If it hasn't already, I think that MB's poor managerial decisions will eventually start to haunt him. Is Tavares friends with Subban? I wonder if they've ever had a conversation about playing in Montreal and Montreal's current management team... :mellow:

I'm sure that word gets around among players about how they're being treated under our current management/ownership. Most of it is blatantly obvious.

It's no secret that MB throws our most skilled players under the bus and puts the blame on them instead of taking responsibility for his own incompetence.

Molson should know better but he's entrenched himself into the same foxhole as Bergevin. Disrespecting and defying the fans and all the hockey experts.

They have created their own mess and we are going nowhere fast thanks to them. Unless change happens from the top we will remain sub-par with no Stanley Cup in our sights.

1 hour ago, jennifer_rocket said:

http://torontosun.com/sports/hockey/nhl/toronto-maple-leafs/simmons-the-emotional-homecoming-of-john-tavares?video_autoplay=true

And in the end, there was only two choices. One, go back to the Islanders, his longtime hockey home. Or two, go home to play for the Maple Leafs, the team he grew up worshipping

As time goes on, you start to get a feeling of where your heart is, and what your gut is telling you. It came down for me to the Islanders and the Leafs.” There were at least 30 calls between his agent, Pat Brisson, and Tavares in the past two days. And there were the Leaf calls.

Montreal had the cap space, was an original six team , CP , SW , a # 1 C spot was open , his agent was friends with MB  and none of that mattered . He even mentioned in another article he didnt' want to be THE guy

I hope Tavares going to the Leafs means we can finally stop crying about taxes. Tax rates in Toronto/Ottawa are only a fraction of a percent lower than Montreal and they managed to get the biggest UFA signing since Chara. The Habs have a good record of getting solid players as UFAs, no truly elite players but IMO in recent years Chara, Hossa, and now Tavares are the only truly elite UFA signings. Niedermayer I guess but that was a unique situation with his brother. Spacek, Gill, Prust, and Moen were all solid depth players who came here, Cole, Petry, Cammalleri, and Gionta were good top 4 D/top 6 F players that signed in Montreal, and Kovalev, Radulov are/were both strong first line (and borderline elite) forwards, and none of those signings were really big overpayments besides maybe Prust. Not to mention how many European UFAs they've signed, Radulov, Sekac, Jerabek, the two Czech defensemen this year, and apparently they were in on Shipachyov but got outbid. 

Outside of the language stuff (which I don't think is a huge deals for millionaires in a city with a large Anglo community), all the negatives about Montreal also apply to Toronto. The weather is nearly as bad, the fans are just as ravenous, the media is just as bad or possibly worse, and the taxes are close enough that Toronto real estate prices would eat up any tax savings over Montreal. Even Alzner, it was a bad signing and I thought it was a mistake from day 1, but Alzner was easily the 2nd most in-demand UFA defenseman in 2017 after Shattenkirk. He shouldn't have been, but the fact remains that Alzner is the archetypical gritty DFD that GMs overvalue and I'm sure lots of GMs on July 1st, 2017, thought Bergevin snagged a big prize by signing him, and I bet Alzner had similar offers to what the Habs gave him. Don't forget that players on Canadian teams are paid in USD but pay their living costs in CAD, that makes the money go a long way (eg. Price's 13M signing bonus is 17M $CAD). 

The Rangers, Kings, Sharks, and Ducks have high taxes as well, and they all have insane real estate markets but they have no trouble attracting UFAs. Right now the Habs suck and will have to be content with the Xavier Ouellets and Matthew Pecas of the world, but if they rebuild this team properly I see no reason the Habs shouldn't be able to get marquee UFAs in the future considering they were very successful in free agency until recently. We can't forget that this is still Montreal we're talking about here, and that counts for a lot more than just the Canadiens themselves. I feel bad for the Jets having some of the highest taxes in the league in likely the single least attractive NHL city, but Montreal is one of the coolest cities in North America with some of the best nightlife of any NHL city and one of the best food/culture/entertainment/restaurant scenes that's only clearly beat by New York and LA. 

22 minutes ago, Noob616 said:

I hope Tavares going to the Leafs means we can finally stop crying about taxes. Tax rates in Toronto/Ottawa are only a fraction of a percent lower than Montreal and they managed to get the biggest UFA signing since Chara. The Habs have a good record of getting solid players as UFAs, no truly elite players but IMO in recent years Chara, Hossa, and now Tavares are the only truly elite UFA signings. Niedermayer I guess but that was a unique situation with his brother. Spacek, Gill, Prust, and Moen were all solid depth players who came here, Cole, Petry, Cammalleri, and Gionta were good top 4 D/top 6 F players that signed in Montreal, and Kovalev, Radulov are/were both strong first line (and borderline elite) forwards, and none of those signings were really big overpayments besides maybe Prust. Not to mention how many European UFAs they've signed, Radulov, Sekac, Jerabek, the two Czech defensemen this year, and apparently they were in on Shipachyov but got outbid. 

Agreed.   There have been other guys (Karl Alzner Im looking at you, Briere, Semin etc) who have been a disaster but were highly coveted, getting as many as 10 contract offers but choosing to sign with us.  The fact it was a terrible move is irrelevant, we won the prize at the time, which negates the constant argument that we cant land guys anyone else wants. 

2 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Agreed.   There have been other guys (Karl Alzner Im looking at you, Briere, Semin etc) who have been a disaster but were highly coveted, getting as many as 10 contract offers but choosing to sign with us.  The fact it was a terrible move is irrelevant, we won the prize at the time, which negates the constant argument that we cant land guys anyone else wants. 

It has been reported he actually took a 'hometown " discount , that he was actually offered more. So in this case I don't think it applies because Toronto is his home town where he always dreamed of playing for and the timing worked out perfectly. If he wasn't from Toronto (and able to also cash in on endorsements) he may not of signed and the taxes could well have been a factor. Depending what happens in the future, Mathews could sign with Vegas or Phoenix low taxes and where he is from.

23 minutes ago, CaptWelly said:

It has been reported he actually took a 'hometown " discount , that he was actually offered more. So in this case I don't think it applies because Toronto is his home town where he always dreamed of playing for and the timing worked out perfectly. If he wasn't from Toronto (and able to also cash in on endorsements) he may not of signed and the taxes could well have been a factor. Depending what happens in the future, Mathews could sign with Vegas or Phoenix low taxes and where he is from.

Yeah there's no doubt in my mind he took less money, I'm sure other teams offered 12M or more over the same term (and the Islanders would have offered 8 years which is inherently more money). I'm not really talking about Tavares specifically because it's obvious that Toronto itself is a factor since it's his hometown, but I think if the Habs had a young core like Matthews, Marner, Rielly, and Nylander they would have been in the discussion and had a good chance at signing him, or down the line maybe a player like Pierre-Luc Dubois or (far future) Alexis Lafrenière, or looking ahead to next year maybe Panarin or something. 

That's why Alzner signed here and left money on the table, in his perception he saw the Habs win the Atlantic division with Weber and Price as key players, a well regarded defensive coach, and figured he would perfectly fill the gap at LD and could play with Weber and help the team be competitive. He turned out to be wrong because the Habs let Markov and Radulov walk, didn't replace them, downgraded overall, and Price/Weber had nightmare seasons, but the reason he chose Montreal was that he thought he could play a core role on a great team and help push them over the edge to be a true contender. 

On ‎7‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 11:45 AM, Kadoch said:

As long as Molson keeps buying the BS Bergevin is feeding him, there is no hope. The time has come to stop going to the games (we have done it in the past). You will see how fast changes will be made. In my opinion and most Habs fans, Bergevin is the worst GM in the history of the Canadians. I personally think he surpassed Rejean Houle in that category. take a look at his draft selections in the last 5 years. and then look at his trades. you will understand why we are in this position.   

Maybe it's also time to boycott the French media since they actually run the team and Molson's businesses.  

40 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Is there any chance teams will receive another compliance buyout in the future? Perhaps when the collective bargaining agreement needs to be re-negotiated? We could use a couple of those right about now. Weber's going to spend the back-end of his ridiculous contract being injured all the time...

I think there's a very high chance there will be a compliance buyout.  

As to whether we us it on weber or not: if MB is still in charge, probably not.   He'd be better off cutting his loses and traded Weber asap once he's healthy again although I suspect people will be weary.   Maybe if he comes back strong in december & plays well till the trade deadline a team on a cup window may be willing to give up a good package of futures for him. 

• H_T_L locked this topic