Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HabsRuleForever

Suspensions and Officiating

621 posts in this topic

40 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Yup...

1. Marchand throws a bunch of punches before Eller drops the gloves, and if you're Eller, at some point you can't just let yourself be a punching bag. The officials blew it and didn't jump in to protect the player. Surprise surprise.

2. Marchand continues to hit Eller even after he's down. Dirty as hell, and like the earlier punches, easily an attempt to injure a defenseless opponent.

3. Marchand has one of the lengthiest suspension records in the NHL.

4. Marchand admitted after the game that he did it on purpose because he didn't like Eller celebrating his goal a couple of minutes before.

Marchand is without a doubt the dirtiest and most despicable player in the league, and he doesn't care that people think that. It's embarrassing how many times the NHL has let him off easy and let the Bruins off easy (Chara and Lucic and Shawn Thornton and Ference and more have all gotten away with stuff other players would have been suspended for). Jacobs and Bettman remain good friends, and the optics here are that the NHL simply allows Marchand to get away with more because they want to keep a top player on the ice and keep fans coming to fill up Jacobs' and the league's pockets.

So agreed, if the league isn't going to take care of it, here's hoping Tom WIlson or someone else lays out Marchand and puts him out for the 20 games he deserves to be out.

He's been suspended for a total of 19 games, although I'm not sure how many individual suspensions he got. 

I've been saying that for years about Jacobs and Bettman. If marchand was suspended even for 4 games (too short IMO), the ruins might lose a few games, and it could affect their standings. 

Edited by kinot-2

6 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

He's been suspended for a total of 19 games, although I'm not sure how many individual suspensions he got. 

He's been suspended on six separate occasions. 

2 for an elbow (2011)

5 for low-bridging/slewfoot (2012)

2 for slewfoot (2015)  

3 for elbow/clipping (2015)

2 for spearing (2017) 

5 for elbowing last season

Not sure how he didnt get anything for licking. 

2 minutes ago, maas_art said:

2 for an elbow (2011)

2 for slewfoot (2015)  

2 for spearing (2017) 

Andc who knows how many other infractions he got away with. 

2 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

Andc who knows how many other infractions he got away with. 

It seems that the NHL is getting desensitized to Merchands antics.

10 minutes ago, Habs=stanleycup said:

It seems that the NHL is getting desensitized to Merchands antics.

Ya know, most TV pundits suggested that Wilson would get around 10-15 games, and he got 20, but marchand didn't even get a call.

5 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

Ya know, most TV pundits suggested that Wilson would get around 10-15 games, and he got 20, but marchand didn't even get a call.

If fairness is what we're looking for in the Bettman league, we have a long struggle ahead.

2 minutes ago, Habs=stanleycup said:

If fairness is what we're looking for in the Bettman league, we have a long struggle ahead.

I feel that it will take a Bettman retirement before we see any change. Methinks Bettman will be around for a long time. He's 66 and makes $9.5 mil. per. 

2 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

I've been saying that for years about Jacobs and Bettman. If marchand was suspended even for 4 games (too short IMO), the ruins might lose a few games, and it could affect their standings. 

2 hours ago, maas_art said:

2 for an elbow (2011)

2 for slewfoot (2015)  

2 for spearing (2017) 

Yeah, only 19 games but as noted, 6 separate suspensions. You'd think some of these would have been longer, and there are plenty of other things he's been fined for or gotten away with altogether. He's a slimeball, and the NHL has basically just told the league if you don't like someone scoring on you, just go out and beat the crap out of them and it's perfectly okay, you won't be punished for it. Bush league.

I actually took the slime ball in my hockey pool so am okay without the suspension, but gratefully accepted the penalty minutes. I may have  to re-evaluate this pick and am worried he may become a role model for Domi. Mixed signals for sure with the 20 games going out to Wilson and Domi getting suspended in the pre-season. Kidding aside the league needs to figure out fast what the message is cause right now players don't know if the refs are going to protect them or if they have to take matters into their own hands.

Edited by Habberwacky

5 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Yup...

1. Marchand throws a bunch of punches before Eller drops the gloves, and if you're Eller, at some point you can't just let yourself be a punching bag. The officials blew it and didn't jump in to protect the player. Surprise surprise.

2. Marchand continues to hit Eller even after he's down. Dirty as hell, and like the earlier punches, easily an attempt to injure a defenseless opponent.

3. Marchand has one of the lengthiest suspension records in the NHL.

4. Marchand admitted after the game that he did it on purpose because he didn't like Eller celebrating his goal a couple of minutes before.

Marchand is without a doubt the dirtiest and most despicable player in the league, and he doesn't care that people think that. It's embarrassing how many times the NHL has let him off easy and let the Bruins off easy (Chara and Lucic and Shawn Thornton and Ference and more have all gotten away with stuff other players would have been suspended for). Jacobs and Bettman remain good friends, and the optics here are that the NHL simply allows Marchand to get away with more because they want to keep a top player on the ice and keep fans coming to fill up Jacobs' and the league's pockets.

So agreed, if the league isn't going to take care of it, here's hoping Tom WIlson or someone else lays out Marchand and puts him out for the 20 games he deserves to be out.

I don't think Wilson wants/can afford another suspension. But I'll bet Marchand did what he did because Wilson wasn't there. Too bad Wilson didn't save his dirty hit and suspension for Marchand.

4 hours ago, maas_art said:

The Center for Disease Control should have quarantined Marchand until the rabies test came back.

28 minutes ago, habs1952 said:

I don't think Wilson wants/can afford another suspension. But I'll bet Marchand did what he did because Wilson wasn't there. Too bad Wilson didn't save his dirty hit and suspension for Marchand.

But you don't get suspended if you announce it was intentional that you went after him and then just punch him right in the face. #MarchandRule

Wilson, who is losing over $1 mil., is appealing the decision to suspend him 20 games.

Marchand is an embarrassment to the league. How the league doesn't see this I can't believe. Hate to say this but someone needs to take Marchand out. Everyone will then whine , but until the league does something it'll have to be done old school. It would be best if it was an actual star player that laid out Marchand also. Then what would the league do. I say next time they play Ovie blind sides Marchand into the boards , then punches him while he's on the ice.

I'm beginning to think that the penalty for fighting in hockey should be more severe. Perhaps the league should just start automatically suspending any players that fight. You wanna punch someone in the face for 15 seconds? Okay, here's a five game suspension and you forfeit 6.1% of your salary for the year.

Edited by jennifer_rocket

10 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

I'm beginning to think that the penalty for fighting in hockey should be more severe. Perhaps the league should just start automatically suspending any players that fight. You wanna punch someone in the face for 15 seconds? Okay, here's a five game suspension and you forfeit 6.1% of your salary for the year.

Could be tough to enforce. I could see some strategic fighting occurring. You target teams star players with your 4th line goons with instructions to take the punishment for the team if you want a job going forward. Just a thought.

8 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

Could be tough to enforce. I could see some strategic fighting occurring. You target teams star players with your 4th line goons with instructions to take the punishment for the team if you want a job going forward. Just a thought.

Well... then there should be a strict enforcement for instigating a fight. Something automatic. Second offense, even harsher.

Additionally, any possible suspension can always be reviewed post-match by a panel.

3 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

But other sports don't have this problem, right?  I mean it's not like you see bench players running up and clocking LeBron James in the side of the head.  And star player or no, if Mike Trout took a bat to someone's junk (like Marchant did with his stick a few years back) I can absolutely guarantee you that he'd receive more than a two-game suspension.

Honestly I hate the childish nonsense that goes on in a hockey game.  I hate the fighting, I hate the facewashing, I really, really, really hate the stupid scrums that break out after every second whistle.  I know there are people here who will probably disagree with me, and that's fine, but in my opinion it takes away from everything I love about the sport.  Is hockey an exciting, fast-paced game?  You bet!  ....unless of course someone taps a goalie's pads fishing for a loose puck after the whistle goes, in which case we're treated to two minutes of watching ten grown men take turns giving each other headlocks.  Wow, look at that guy's puck-handling skills!  Wait, never mind - he can't get to the puck because some giant defenseman is giving him a bear hug and it's not going to be called because there are no rules in the playoffs :rolleyes:.  

And has anybody watched a Junior game recently?  Actually, "recently" might be a bit of an overstatement for me.  Despite them having some exciting players in that span, I haven't gone to watch my local Halifax Mooseheads team in probably six or seven years because in that league you literally (and I'm using "literally" literally) can't go two minutes without some sort of pileup or incident.  Play some hockey, boys, that's what we came to see.

One final thing, I'm not saying that hockey needs less hitting or that the players need to be less tough or whatever.  Rugby has plenty of contact AND toughness, and yet they manage to do it all without gouging at each others' eyes whenever someone insults someone else's mother.  I want to see a big winger muscle his way to the front of the net for a goal - I don't want to see a fourth liner punch that winger in the side of the head for scoring it.

I agree Manatee. I like watching hockey!

I cannot stand the fighting and after-whistle nonsense that goes on all the time. I love big, physical checks. But... all the cheap stuff (e.g. Wilson, Marchand) is annoying and ruins the game, in my opinion. I'm happy Wilson was punished so severely. Maybe now he'll make some effort to learn how to hit cleanly.

1 hour ago, Manatee-X said:

But other sports don't have this problem, right?  I mean it's not like you see bench players running up and clocking LeBron James in the side of the head.  And star player or no, if Mike Trout took a bat to someone's junk (like Marchant did with his stick a few years back) I can absolutely guarantee you that he'd receive more than a two-game suspension.

Agreed but hockey has a culture of fighting & always had.  My dad (british, never quite got into hockey) came with me to a game one time.  Was amazed that for the whole game people just basically sat there (and it was a flames-oilers tilt) but once a fight erupted everyone was out of their seats cheering.  He wondered why they didnt just go watch boxing.

Id be happy to have no fighting in hockey, but when you have a sport that actually has a penalty specifically for fighting, i think it would be tough to get it removed from the game. 

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

Agreed but hockey has a culture of fighting & always had.  My dad (british, never quite got into hockey) came with me to a game one time.  Was amazed that for the whole game people just basically sat there (and it was a flames-oilers tilt) but once a fight erupted everyone was out of their seats cheering.  He wondered why they didnt just go watch boxing.

Id be happy to have no fighting in hockey, but when you have a sport that actually has a penalty specifically for fighting, i think it would be tough to get it removed from the game. 

And there is your problem. As long as fans jump out of their seats whenever an altercation happens in a game, the NHL will not do much if anything to curb fighting. It sells tickets and that's the bottom line as far as Bettman and the owners are concerned. 

Just watch all the prehype for when Domi has to supposedly face the music down the road. The NHL makes out like they abhor that type of behaviour but we all know differently. 

Apologies if this breaches on something political, but I would compare fighting in the NHL to "the right to bear arms." There's a subset of fans who will always support it, always enjoy it, and defend the status quo simply because it is the status quo and what they are used to. But if fighting had never been allowed, imagine how shocked we would all be if it started. Imagine an NFL game where two guys ripped off their helmets and pads and just started pummeling each other. Any player who punches a guy in the head with his helmet still on or facewashes him through the mask is pretty much ejected right away. There's no debate about intent to injure, there's no assessment of whether the other guy was hurt or not, it's just the rules. And no one can really argue football is any less aggressive or physical a sport than hockey, it's just that the culture has taught players to control their emotions.

So in that regard, the other thing that has to happen to make it okay to outlaw fighting in hockey is that the league officiating simply has to be better. The DOPS has to be more consistent. You can't be letting players like Marchand and Lucic repeatedly get off scott-free. If Tom Wilson or Marchand or so on throws an elbow to the head and everyone on the ice knows he's going to get ejected and everyone knows he's going to be sitting for double digit games, then there will be much less feeling that the law needs to be taken into one's own hands. There has to be faith in the league that the guilty player is going to pay more of a price than the player/team being aggressed.

So for me those are the two things... one you have to change the culture and two you have to have a league that doesn't play pansy to angry owners and fans.

17 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

Wilson, who is losing over $1 mil., is appealing the decision to suspend him 20 games.

Should we have been surprised?  

NHL.com.  Nashville left wing Austin Matthews' suspension has been reduced to 18 games.