Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HabsRuleForever

Suspensions and Officiating

621 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, CANADIENS27 said:

NHL.com.  Nashville left wing Austin Matthews' suspension has been reduced to 18 games.  

HUH?

37 minutes ago, habs1952 said:

HUH?

Austin Watson it was obviously a typo

19 hours ago, habs1952 said:

HUH?

I got the name wrong.  

NHL.com.  Florida defenseman Mike Matheson will have a hearing for interference and unsportsmanlike conduct against Vancouver forward Elias Pettersson.  The incident occurred at 4:48 of the third period and there was no penalty.  Pettersson left the game with a concussion.  

5 hours ago, CANADIENS27 said:

NHL.com.  Florida defenseman Mike Matheson will have a hearing for interference and unsportsmanlike conduct against Vancouver forward Elias Pettersson.  The incident occurred at 4:48 of the third period and there was no penalty.  Pettersson left the game with a concussion.  

Suspended 2 games for trying to bring the WWE to the NHL.

18 hours ago, habs1952 said:

Suspended 2 games for trying to bring the WWE to the NHL.

Not long enough.  

5 hours ago, CANADIENS27 said:

Not long enough.  

Yup....and yet you see this type of play every game. Throwing someone to the ice after a hit isn't a hockey play. It's dirty.

NHL.com.  Ottawa defenseman Mark Borowiecki will have a hearing for elbowing Boston defenseman Urho Vaakenanen in the first period.  No penalty was called.  

39 minutes ago, ramcharger440 said:

is it just me or are the refs all over the place this year?

It's you. JK :P ,,,, they are everywhere but not seeing what they should be seeing. If it's a close game in the 3rd, only puck over glass and "maybe" too many men, will get a penalty, unless it's pretty flagrant. 

4 hours ago, CANADIENS27 said:

NHL.com.  Ottawa defenseman Mark Borowiecki will have a hearing for elbowing Boston defenseman Urho Vaakenanen in the first period.  No penalty was called.  

He got one measly game.

2 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

It's you. JK :P ,,,, they are everywhere but not seeing what they should be seeing. If it's a close game in the 3rd, only puck over glass and "maybe" too many men, will get a penalty, unless it's pretty flagrant. 

I've looked everywhere but I can't find a book titled 'The 3rd Period NHL Rule Book'.

41 minutes ago, habs1952 said:

I've looked everywhere but I can't find a book titled 'The 3rd Period NHL Rule Book'.

It's something they learn in the minors

sImage result for NHL Reffing for dummies pictures

58 minutes ago, habs1952 said:

There ya go. 

16 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

I'm sure they sell it at Chapters. 

25 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

I think it may actually be called 'officiating agains the habs' in the alternate officiating style section

11 hours ago, habs1952 said:

He got one measly game.

I think the one game suspension was fair in this situation... although, to be honest, I'm not sure if he has a prior suspension history. The elbow didn't seem malicious. It did seem careless. I do feel it warrants a suspension. It also, obviously, warranted a penalty... which didn't happen during the game.

Along with the Mark Borowiecki suspension comes this piece from the "Waaaa" dept.:

Excerpts from the Ottawa Sun:

"We don’t know whether he did or not, but Mark Borowiecki should have taken the opportunity of his hearing with the NHL’s Department of Player Safety on Wednesday to ask a few questions of his own.

Starting with, why was there no such hearing for Brendan Gallagher?

While on the phone with the DOPS, Borowiecki should have asked why Gallagher didn’t get more than a boarding penalty for hitting him from behind at high speed on Saturday night. Borowiecki’s head was slammed into the end boards. He was lucky to avoid serious injury. It was certainly a much more dangerous incident that Borowiecki’s hit on Vaakanainen.

And more deliberate.

Just another example of the inconsistencies with the DOPS, and why some people think the acronym should include an ‘E” between the ‘P’ and ‘S’."

Bold is theirs. 

Tom Wilson's suspension has been upheld by Bettman.

Not a great game last night, any time the refs are the ones who pretty much decide who wins or loses it is not good.

Would you consider Rasmus Dahlin's hit on Mete, in the Habs vs. Sabres game, one that should be reviewed as a head shot?

I see the NFL is not afraid to can an official for being incompetent. The NHL could use some of that forward thinking.

1 hour ago, H_T_L said:

I see the NFL is not afraid to can an official for being incompetent. The NHL could use some of that forward thinking.

Not as long as Bettman's around IMO.

NHL.com.  Los Angeles forward Kyle Clifford has fined $4301.08 for kneeing Minnesota forward Jordan Sweeney at 9:54 of the first period.  Clifford was assessed a minor penalty.  

Ottawa Senators defenceman Mark Borowiecki will have a hearing Monday for an illegal hit to the head of Vegas Golden Knights forward Cody Eakin. 

The incident occurred in the first period of Sunday’s game. Borowiecki was assessed a five-minute major on the play, and immediately dropped the gloves with Golden Knights defenceman Jon Merrill.

Borowiecki was playing in his first game back after being suspended one game for an elbow on Boston Bruins defenceman Urho Vaakanainen.

43 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

Ottawa Senators defenceman Mark Borowiecki will have a hearing Monday for an illegal hit to the head of Vegas Golden Knights forward Cody Eakin. 

The incident occurred in the first period of Sunday’s game. Borowiecki was assessed a five-minute major on the play, and immediately dropped the gloves with Golden Knights defenceman Jon Merrill.

Borowiecki was playing in his first game back after being suspended one game for an elbow on Boston Bruins defenceman Urho Vaakanainen.

Borowiecki was also given a game misconduct.  Eakin did not return to the game.