Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HabsRuleForever

Suspensions and Officiating

514 posts in this topic

I only caught the very end of the third period of the Montreal-NJ game... Not saying we deserved to win, but it just seemed like the officials had no clue what they were doing on the Danault goal. Danault is tripped... no call. Hischier covers the puck with his hand... no penalty shot. Goal is called on the ice... over-turned after review.

5 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

I only caught the very end of the third period of the Montreal-NJ game... Not saying we deserved to win, but it just seemed like the officials had no clue what they were doing on the Danault goal. Danault is tripped... no call. Hischier covers the puck with his hand... no penalty shot. Goal is called on the ice... over-turned after review.

In their defense (and I'm not completely defending them by any means) it was a bit of a weird situation.

So say they did in fact notice the hand on the puck, how do you even call that?  Like it's a penalty shot, sure... except it's not, since they already called it a goal.  Had that goal been upheld after video review we'd obviously not be talking about this as a missed call at all.  

And then once the goal gets overturned on review, are they even allowed to go back and say "actually, though, there was a penalty on the play that we just didn't mention before"?  I doubt it - it would seem really strange to call a penalty after the fact based on a goal review.

So I guess the proper procedure (I think?) would have been to call the glove-on-puck penalty as soon as it happened but then to not enforce any punishment because of the goal.  That's just a really strange sequence of events though, and would require an awful lot of foresight into the fact that the goal could potentially be recalled.

(Side note: I can't say I've ever paid attention to what happens in the more common situation of a team scoring on a delayed penalty call.  Do they still register the offender as gaining 2 penalty minutes even if they don't have to go to the box?)

In any case, it was super frustrating as a fan (and not the only questionable reffing that game, for either team).  But I can absolutely see it as having been a situation where the refs made a weird small mistake (not calling the penalty that didn't matter at the time because of the goal) that obviously turned into a really big one that they couldn't fix after the fact.

5 hours ago, Manatee-X said:

In their defense (and I'm not completely defending them by any means) it was a bit of a weird situation.

So say they did in fact notice the hand on the puck, how do you even call that?  Like it's a penalty shot, sure... except it's not, since they already called it a goal.  Had that goal been upheld after video review we'd obviously not be talking about this as a missed call at all.  

And then once the goal gets overturned on review, are they even allowed to go back and say "actually, though, there was a penalty on the play that we just didn't mention before"?  I doubt it - it would seem really strange to call a penalty after the fact based on a goal review.

So I guess the proper procedure (I think?) would have been to call the glove-on-puck penalty as soon as it happened but then to not enforce any punishment because of the goal.  That's just a really strange sequence of events though, and would require an awful lot of foresight into the fact that the goal could potentially be recalled.

(Side note: I can't say I've ever paid attention to what happens in the more common situation of a team scoring on a delayed penalty call.  Do they still register the offender as gaining 2 penalty minutes even if they don't have to go to the box?)

In any case, it was super frustrating as a fan (and not the only questionable reffing that game, for either team).  But I can absolutely see it as having been a situation where the refs made a weird small mistake (not calling the penalty that didn't matter at the time because of the goal) that obviously turned into a really big one that they couldn't fix after the fact.

No, they don't. 

10 hours ago, habs1952 said:

No, they don't. 

Well in that case it's an even weirder situation for the refs.  Can they even call a penalty and a goal on the same play?

23 minutes ago, Manatee-X said:

Well in that case it's an even weirder situation for the refs.  Can they even call a penalty and a goal on the same play?

Definitely a weird situation.

Perhaps it would be interesting for the league to allow for review of 'glove on puck' situations in the crease since it is supposed to result in a penalty shot? Had the referees been able to over-turn the goal, but acknowledge the penalty shot, it would be getting the call right IMO.

Washington's Hathaway being reviewed for spitting on Gudbranson, with a possible suspension looming. Is spitting on someone disgusting? Yup. But if you're allowed to lick someone without penalty, what makes spitting any worse? Both leave your saliva on the other guy, both gross, both put other guy's health at risk.

Jack Eichel, gets into a fight with Zack Parise, throws numerous punches, and only gets 4 mins, not a major for fighting. Parise got 2 mins.

Edited by kinot-2

2 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

Jack Eichel, gets into a fight with Zack Parise, throws numerous punches, and only gets 4 mins, not a major for fighting. Parise got 2 mins.

Well these are great examples of like Ovie leaving his feet Marchand licking someone no penalties. No fighting here and other incidents happen all the time. The major difference that the NHL doesn't admit to is if you're a "star" player you 100% are treated differently when it comes to penalties and disciplinary actions. All of the above had been Tom Wilson or a 3rd 4th liner especially if any of these had been against a star player they'd lower the boom ! Totally wrong! 

17 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Washington's Hathaway being reviewed for spitting on Gudbranson, with a possible suspension looming. Is spitting on someone disgusting? Yup. But if you're allowed to lick someone without penalty, what makes spitting any worse? Both leave your saliva on the other guy, both gross, both put other guy's health at risk.

Hathaway got three games.  He had already gotten a match penalty.  

Edited by CANADIENS27

16 minutes ago, CANADIENS27 said:

Hathaway got three games.  He had already gotten a match penalty.  

Right. And Marchand got nothing when he too also wiped his saliva over an opponent's face.

3 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Right. And Marchand got nothing when he too also wiped his saliva over an opponent's face.

I don't recall Roberto Alomar getting anything when he spit on an umpire, but that's a different sport.  

5 hours ago, CANADIENS27 said:

I don't recall Roberto Alomar getting anything when he spit on an umpire, but that's a different sport.  

2 hours ago, Dexx83 said:

Alomar got five games 

Different sport with many more games in a season, but the point would be he got suspended. I don't have an issue with 3 games for spitting, I just don't understand how licking a guy is no games. It should be something similar for wiping your bodily fluids on someone... also gross, also puts the guy at risk of catching something from you, also completely uncalled for...

7 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Yes but Marchand only did it twice in different games? No double standard there!