Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HabsRuleForever

Suspensions and Officiating

621 posts in this topic

Interesting graph from moneypuck analytics showing that the number one factor predicting how many PP's a team gets is how many penalties it's called for. In other words, teams that draw a lot of penalties also take a lot of penalties. The correlation is almost linear. It supports the premise that refs aren't calling penalties based on merit but rather on making sure that the number of calls evens out for both teams by game's end. If one team has had 4 PP's in a game and the other 2, the bias is towards calling the team with 2 for another 1-2 to make up for it and "keep it fair" (which of course is unfair)... so the analytics data supports the notion that officiating is flawed and not just, and this of course is in favor of teams that are edgier and dirtier, as they don't pay the price for it. They just trade PP's more often. If you have good special teams, it strongly behooves you to be a dirty dirty team.

12 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Interesting graph from moneypuck analytics showing that the number one factor predicting how many PP's a team gets is how many penalties it's called for. In other words, teams that draw a lot of penalties also take a lot of penalties. The correlation is almost linear. It supports the premise that refs aren't calling penalties based on merit but rather on making sure that the number of calls evens out for both teams by game's end. If one team has had 4 PP's in a game and the other 2, the bias is towards calling the team with 2 for another 1-2 to make up for it and "keep it fair" (which of course is unfair)... so the analytics data supports the notion that officiating is flawed and not just, and this of course is in favor of teams that are edgier and dirtier, as they don't pay the price for it. They just trade PP's more often. If you have good special teams, it strongly behooves you to be a dirty dirty team.

Don't tell the NHL that, though. "Analytics make NHL's head go waaaaaaaaaa." I absolutely believe this is how referees call the game. It even seems more pronounced during playoff hockey. It's a shame because it, kind of, unincentivizes teams to actually go out and play fast, entertaining hockey. Why bother if it's not going to result in extra PPs?

7 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Don't tell the NHL that, though. "Analytics make NHL's head go waaaaaaaaaa." I absolutely believe this is how referees call the game. It even seems more pronounced during playoff hockey. It's a shame because it, kind of, unincentivizes teams to actually go out and play fast, entertaining hockey. Why bother if it's not going to result in extra PPs?

You watch games and this is absolutely what you see... for example, Habs vs. Bruins and you get

1. Bruins penalty

2. Bruins infraction not called

3. Bruins infraction not called

4. Bruins penalty (refs decide they've let a couple go and now feel compelled to call one)

5. Bruins infraction not called

6. Habs penalty (refs catch the Habs breaking a rule, and boom, no one can challenge that actual call, and it now makes the PP's look closer so they can't be accused of cheating for one team or the other)

7. Habs penalty (now it's even)

8. Habs infraction not called (Bruins just had 2 PP's)

9. Bruins infraction not called (we let one go for the other team, so let's let one go for each team to call it even)

10. Habs penalty

11. Bruins penalty

12. Bruins infraction not called (too late in game and wouldn't want to decide the outcome)

13. Bruins infraction not called (too late in game and wouldn't want to decide the outcome)

14. Habs infraction not called (too late in game and wouldn't want to decide the outcome)

15. Bruins penalty in garbage time after the outcome is already pretty much decided

At the end of the game, the refs look at the scoresheet and pat themselves on the back because the penalties look like 4 for Boston and 3 for Montreal and they think they've called an even game. But in fact, they've also let 6 obvious penalties by Boston go uncalled and 2 by Montreal also uncalled. As a result, Boston has actually been given a huge advantage - they only got called for 40% of the fouls they committed whereas Mtl got called for 60% of the fouls they committed. Boston gets away with more, players don't have a clue what the standard is for a penalty because it's arbitrary whether the refs ignore it or not, and the NHL turns a blind eye because they just assume the final numbers show it was fair and maybe even in the Habs favor.

As much as we like to complain about the officiating, I'm sure there are some refs that at least try to be impartial, but there seems to be not that many. I've seen a few games where a penalty was called late in the game (5 mins. or under),  as well as in OT. 

Kassian got 2 games for the beating he gave Tkachuk.

2 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

I don't like that suspension just cause Tkachuk instigated the whole situation and got nothing for it. Next time Kassian shouldn't stop beating him until he can't lift his hands anymore. Tkachuk is the equivalent of Marchand a dirty rat faced scrum sucking pansy!!!

23 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

I don't like that suspension just cause Tkachuk instigated the whole situation and got nothing for it. Next time Kassian shouldn't stop beating him until he can't lift his hands anymore. Tkachuk is the equivalent of Marchand a dirty rat faced scrum sucking pansy!!!

The whole situation could have been avoided if Tkachuk had been called for his head shot on the first hit. And yeah, Kassian should have hit him until he's eating through a straw for the next 6 months. 

37 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

10 minutes ago, habs1952 said:

The whole situation could have been avoided if Tkachuk had been called for his head shot on the first hit. And yeah, Kassian should have hit him until he's eating through a straw for the next 6 months. 

SN talked about Tkachuk and said that he's playing old school hockey (questionable hits)  and that he has to answer the bell when he does these hits. 

53 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

SN talked about Tkachuk and said that he's playing old school hockey (questionable hits)  and that he has to answer the bell when he does these hits. 

He said he did the right thing not dropping the gloves, so I doubt he ever answers the bell on anything unless it's someone like JK

7 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

He said he did the right thing not dropping the gloves, so I doubt he ever answers the bell on anything unless it's someone like JK

Not if JK gets the jump on him. :P

4 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

Not if JK gets the jump on him. :P

That would be hilarious! Tkachuk picks a fight with JK and JK just goes ape shit and kicks his ass as if Tkachuk was fighting Weber or Chiarot

8 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

That would be hilarious! Tkachuk picks a fight with JK and JK just goes ape shit and kicks his ass as if Tkachuk was fighting Weber or Chiarot

:4224:

21 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

Kassian had already gotten a double minor for roughing and a ten minute misconduct.  

Kassian's next game back, he plays the Flames. I just gotta watch that game. :lol:

Matthieu Perreault of the Jets sounded off on George Parros and the DoPS today after they decided not to suspend Jake Virtanen for a clear gratuitous elbow to the head. Perreault basically saying the DoPS isn't protecting players and as such, the next time he takes a cheap shot he plans on taking matters into his own hands and taking a stick back to that player's head since he's too small to just fight most other guys. He added that he would assume that means he won't be suspended for such things.

Good on Perreault for calling them out. Obviously can't go swinging sticks at people's heads but the point is clear that Parros has been doing an abysmal job and is way too lenient and inconsistent with his rulings. Same old same old joke from the NHL.

23 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Matthieu Perreault of the Jets sounded off on George Parros and the DoPS today after they decided not to suspend Jake Virtanen for a clear gratuitous elbow to the head. Perreault basically saying the DoPS isn't protecting players and as such, the next time he takes a cheap shot he plans on taking matters into his own hands and taking a stick back to that player's head since he's too small to just fight most other guys. He added that he would assume that means he won't be suspended for such things.

Good on Perreault for calling them out. Obviously can't go swinging sticks at people's heads but the point is clear that Parros has been doing an abysmal job and is way too lenient and inconsistent with his rulings. Same old same old joke from the NHL.

The Kassian suspension I say was BS though. I really doubt that if Tkachuck had ran McDavid multiple times it would of been different. Kassian did what hockey used to be if a player is purposely continuing to go after players he used to have to "answer the bell". If he didn't then he would lose respect from the whole league as a punk. Tkachuck now has put himself in Marchand's league no respect. I remember when Lemeaux turtled after running Draper and Macarthy made him pay , the way it should be. Now Tkachuck has the green light from the league, so next game does he target McDavid or Draisatal because basically the league has okayed it?

On 1/13/2020 at 11:20 PM, campabee82 said:

Ok I know I was joking when I posted this the other night but after seeing KK kick the crap out of Hagg I would love to see Tkachuk start something with him :4224:

6 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

Ok I know I was joking when I posted this the other night but after seeing KK kick the crap out of Hagg I would love to see Tkachuk start something with him :4224:

Tkachuk is the new nose.

22 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

Tkachuk is the new nose.

Forget KK or JK his new nickname should be Jesperi "Rocky" Kotkaniemi

6 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

Forget KK or JK his new nickname should be Jesperi "Rocky" Kotkaniemi

:4224:

NHL.com.  Nashville forward Viktor Arvidsson has been fined $2000 for diving/embellishment.  

NHL.com.  Rangers defenseman Ryan Lindgren has been fined $2486.56 for interference against Islanders forward Jordan Eberle at 15:20 of the second period.  Lindgren was assessed a minor for cross checking.  

NHL.com.  Boston defenseman Jeremy Lauzon will have a hearing for an illegal check to the head of Arizona forward Derek Stepan at 19:34 of the first period.  Lauzon received a match penalty and Stepan stayed in the game.  

6 hours ago, CANADIENS27 said:

NHL.com.  Boston defenseman Jeremy Lauzon will have a hearing for an illegal check to the head of Arizona forward Derek Stepan at 19:34 of the first period.  Lauzon received a match penalty and Stepan stayed in the game.  

He got 2 games! :4224::4224:

Not so much an officiating point as much as a "how the league treats its players" point, but the official NHL twitter account put up some pictures of Auston Matthews looking ridiculous with some bizarre outfit choices and wrote "candidate for best dressed?"... one of the Sens' bloggers wrote back, when Subban did it, it was a whole fiasco about how he was trying to stand out and show up his teammates but when Matthews does it we celebrate him... huge double standard and likely in part because Subban is black and people choose not to want him to have a personality.